Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 12:44 PM   #1  
Turtle Buddy

Talking Turtle Club # 29

Hi, Turtle Buddies,

Here it is - my "official" version of the fable:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for about two years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We work toward accepting that our bodies have a natural speed of weight loss when we choose to live a healthy life, instead of "going on a diet". Many of us have experienced "the diets" as go on/lose weight-- go off/ gain the weight plus more back.

We choose to perservere with each choice we make throughout the day. We believe that choosing to be slow, steady turtles helps us to learn the skills we need to learn in order to not only lose the weight, but keep it off and become the healthiest people we can be.

So, welcome to all who realize that losing and maintaining a weight loss is a lifestyle change. And who want support as we all learn the skills we need to successfully make the changes that will allow us to reach our goals.

Happy turtlin', everyone!

Lin
Old 06-11-2001, 12:57 PM   #2  
Senior Tortoise

Hi, all. Work has really gotten busy and should remain that way for a while. Between that and having company at home, I won't be checking in as often as I'd like. Just so you know.

Lin, thanks so much for the creme brulee recipe! I'll look forward to trying that. I'd love to get one of those torches, but only if it really looks like something I'd use. I'll try the broiler first.

I also appreciate the reminder to make this journey a top priority, a non-negotiable, like going to work. Lately I've been trying to do that with just one thing -- exercise. I have to exercise at least 3 times a week. It's the one thing I'm holding onto at the moment. Once the family is gone, I plan to start again and lose weight instead of just maintain (or gain!).

Judy, I appreciate the kind asbestos thoughts. You're right; it's the disturbance of asbestos that causes the problems. Unfortunately, while I was working there, they decided to replace all the asbestos roofs with tin ones. Nice idea, except that they RIPPED the asbestos roofs off. The dust was so bad that we were all coughing as we tried to do our jobs. I finally refused to show up at the office (which was near the construction site) until they were finished; I even took a vacation just to get away from it. But I did breathe that dust for maybe a week. Well, not much use worrying about it now.

--Lauren
Old 06-11-2001, 01:03 PM   #3  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I copied all of your messages of the past couple of days. They are so inspirational.

Lauren, you don't have to worry about an asbestos wall. My dh knows about that stuff from his work. He says that it's only a problem if you're breathing asbestos dust, so, as long as the wall wasn't crumbling or damaged, you should be OK. Plus, it's really long-term exposure that's the problem. My brother worked on cars for over 20 years. I think your commitment to exercise is probably the best thing you can do right now. I hope that you can keep it top priority while your job is busy. Aren't you glad, though, that it is busy? Not as many worries about another layoff? I hope that's true.

Mousie, your Yoda quote is one of my favorites. I've noticed over the past three or four years of posting on forums that the most successful people, no matter what their goals, don't often talk about trying. They talk about doing. I'm so glad to hear that things clicked with you the past couple of days.

Judy, my brother works near Stanford University. He is thinking about going there for his second opinion. There is also a clinic connected to the Mayo Clinic near his work. So he does have options. Glad to hear your resolve is back. Keep going.

The site we mentioned is:

http://www.dottisweightlosszone.com

I like Dotti's site, but I hope this one is able to continue. I wish I could help, but all I can do is to pray that they will be able to continue. And not complain about the ads!

My last couple of days have been OK. I did get my notebook done and I used it. I have been closer to completely OP than the past couple of weeks. I'm definitely seeing those baby steps working. I drank all of the water. I took my calcium and vitamins. I wrote down my food and points. I was closer to my point range than I have been.

I also have been getting back to my mini meals. Not doing mini meals seems to be as much of a problem for me as not writing things down. So, I'm making that a priority. It's harder for me to do it when Paul is home because we eat together, so I'm not always as aware of whether or not I'm hungry as I am when I'm alone. Also, I tend to eat more when I eat with my family, so I don't have the points available for the mini meal. The thing is that it's not them. They don't care or notice what I eat or don't eat. It's me. I'll get that worked out. I must, since he's apparently going to be home for a while.

Today's plan is to write my food and points down again. Keep up with my water. Do mini meals. Get in my calcium and vitamin. Eat my fruits and veggies, which will be easier since I went to the store and bought some more. We were almost out. And do some exercise.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin

Last edited by Lin S; 06-11-2001 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2001, 04:55 PM   #4  

Thanks for starting a new thread, Lin.

Mini meals don't work for me. I've tried them, and always thought I was some sort of a freak because I just couldn't make it work. It was supposed to be the ideal way to eat, the answer to everyone's struggles, but I just couldn't make it work. This last winter I read an article in Prevention, though, that was written by the editor. She basically said that mini meals don't work for her, either, because she just can't control them. If you don't have a problem with blood sugar, if you don't really feel the effects of being low, and if you can have regular "big" meals, there's no harm in just doing the 3-meals-a-day thing. What liberation! I went back to doing 3 meals a day--3 good meals, not mini meals--and rarely having snacks. I'm so much more comfortable eating now! My issue is and has always been portion size, so I'm dealing with that, but when I don't have to think about what I'm eating next constantly throughout the day I can forget about it, and not be so obsessed. Of course, that's just how my mind works. If mini meals works, then more power to you!

I have to say again, Lin, thanks for being my 'click'. What I eat (eating healthfully) is no longer an optional thing. I don't have a choice. I just DO eat healthfully. I know it's early (3 days) and I sound like a zealot, but I really feel positive about this. It's always been like this with exercise. Exercise is just something I DO. I get up at 5:30 in the morning now to go to the gym for an hour, before work and school. In Minnesota (in the middle of winter!) I would get up at 4:30 to make it to the gym before work. It's just something I DO. And how I eat is that way too. I'm a vegetarian, no questions asked. I just AM. So why shouldn't I make other decisive decisions about my food? I've been walking around repeating "not optional" and "non negotiable" to myself when I'm tempted (as I was by doughnuts at class this morning) and it gives me the strength to walk away. THANK YOU!
Old 06-11-2001, 11:37 PM   #5  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Wink

Great posts, guys. Let's keep this winning attitude going. Oh yes, I have to eat properly because that's what I *do*.
Judy,

234/?/thinner
Old 06-12-2001, 08:41 AM   #6  

You also have to post because that's what you *do*, right, Judy? I know what you mean, c'mon let's just DO this! (So that's what the Nike campaign was about!)

It's 20 til 6 (am) and I'm off to the gym. Workout then yoga, then DH and I are going kite flying and I'm going blading at the same park. Woohoo, later!
Old 06-12-2001, 10:29 AM   #7  
Senior Tortoise

About that other site, in case this one goes belly up ...

At Dotti's (http://www.dottisweightlosszone.com), there's a group called "Unhurried Success." That's where I think the Turtles should migrate to in case the unthinkable happens and this site doesn't make it. (3 Fat Chicks is due to run out of money the end of August.)

There's also another, much quieter site that's new. It's a spinoff from Dotti's. It's called "Lighten Up," and it's at http://pub70.************/blightenup78347. They have a forum called "The Scenic Route," which is where I'd look for the Turtles.

Let's hope it doesn't happen, but in case it does ...

My eating is lousy today already, and it's only 10:33. Well, each minute of each day is a new beginning, right?

--Lauren
Old 06-12-2001, 01:13 PM   #8  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Mousie, I think everyone's body is a bit different. That's why this program works so much better than any other weight loss program, including many of WW's own earlier diets. It's flexible enough that we all can figure out what works best and do that.

My natural inclination is to do three meals. I was raised that way. But when I eat that way now, I tend to eat portions that are too large because I get too hungry. Traditional snacks don't seem to stave off that overly hungry feeling, so I eat too much between meals. And going for such a long time between meals (4-6 hours) makes me feel dizzy and headachy, even if I snack. So, I decided to give the mini meals a chance and it made a huge difference in my life. The point? We are different people with different needs. And our bodies react differently to the same amount of food. Your body is happier if you eat less frequently than my body is. That's not a bad thing. There is no one way to do this.

I get frustrated when people post asking what other people do, looking for the magic answer to their weight loss. Usually they're looking for a faster way to take the weight off. But there isn't a magic answer. Doing what works for someone else can sometimes work for us, and sometimes it only leads to frustration because our body doesn't respond to their methods the same way their body does. We can only find what works for our own body and do that.

I love the way you condensed my thoughts into a short statement. "That's just what I do." That's exactly what I'm aiming for in my life.

You're posting all of my favorite quotes. I'm not especially fond of Nike's business practices or their way overpriced shoes (that don't fit my feet because they only make medium width shoes), but their advertising campaign slogan is a perfect slogan for reaching any goal that we set for ourselves. "Just do it."

Lauren, I'm sorry that you're still struggling with food right now. Write it down and move past it. You will get this back under control because you want to. I know how frustrating this is because I've been struggling with it, too. For me, something clicked and I'm doing better. The click will come for you, too.

I, too, hope that this thread doesn't go under. I'm considering starting one of my own, if it does. It's a matter of deciding whether or not I want to do the maintenance once it's up. I tend to love the creation process, but loathe the routine maintenance. On the other hand, maybe we need our own place. What do you all think?

I'm back OP today. I was 9 points over max the day before yesterday when I started using my new notebook. Yesterday I was only 4 points over. I thought I was OK and splurged on 2 points, then realized I had forgotten to write down my soup at dinner. Oh, well. It's back going the right direction. As for the rest--my water is fine, I got in the calcium and vitamin, I ate all of my fruits and veggies, and made very healthy choices.

I went to the store and stocked up on some of my favorite things that I had run out of. I decided that since the only low-point hot dogs that I like aren't available here, I would spend my money on Gardenburgers, which I like better than hot dogs anyway. I needed a stash of something I could prepare quickly when things get overwhelming around here.

Although I prefer to bake my own bread, I haven't been able to lately. So, I grabbed a loaf of bread off the shelf, not realizing it was a light bread. I have a very small selection of lowfat products I enjoy. Light bread hasn't been on the list until I tried this bread. It's made by Orowheat. I don't know how widely available across the country this brand is. The types of breads from them that I've found and liked are potato, 9-grain, and country oat breads. 2 slices are 1 point. I recommend them for those of you who like carbs, but don't want to spend a lot of points on them.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
Old 06-12-2001, 01:43 PM   #9  

Lin, I DO hope you didn't read me as attacking you for doing mini meals! Goodness, I never meant it that way. Like I said, if it works for you, more power to you. I was just commenting that it doesn't seem to work for me*, and I'm more comfortable NOT snacking. All bodies are different, as you said, and mine just doesn't do well with constant intake. Dunno why, but that's the magic of bodies I guess.

I really hope you weren't offended, Lin, I wasn't attacking your method! If it works for you and your body, by all means keep doing it!
Old 06-12-2001, 02:09 PM   #10  

Speaking if Nike, this is an old Nike ad, it only ran once, I think:

A woman is often measured by the things she cannot control.
She is measured by the way her body curves or doesn't curve,
By where she is flat or straight or round.
She is measured by 36-24-36 and inches and ages and numbers,
By all the otside things that don't ever add up to who she
is on the inside.
And so if a woman is to be measured, let her be measured by
the things she can control, by who she is and who she is
trying to become. Because as every woman knows,
Measurements are only statistics.
And statistics lie.

I would use that as my sig, but it's too long. Instead I have it in my profile elsewhere, and it's the most valuable quote I know. "Statistics lie" was my mantra at the gym for a very long time. Our numbers are NOT who we are. We may be trying to change one or two of them, and we may put energy into that, but I try to remember not to let them define me wholly. Yes I am a WW. I'm a personal trainer. I do several sports and yes I watch what I eat. I try, though, to remember that I'm more than that. I'm a new wife and a daughter and a good friend and an auntie, and those things are just as important as my numbers. I try to remember that.
Old 06-13-2001, 12:49 PM   #11  
Senior Tortoise

Excellent, excellent points to remember, Mousie. Thank you. I didn't see that ad (not surprising, since I rarely watch TV, and you said it only ran once anyway); thanks for posting the script. Words to live by.

That's my one and only problem with WW -- the focus on the numbers. I recognize that they have to have some barometer by which to measure when you're ready to no longer pay them money, but I think it causes way too much neurosing over the scale.

As for mini-meals vs. 3 squares, I always thought I was a mini-meal kinda gal. I'm coming to see, though, that I actually control my eating better if I'm not faced with the temptation of doing it so often. I think what I actually am is a 3-squares-with-a-couple-smaller-snacks kinda gal (a snack being, say, a piece of fruit or some popcorn). I suspect that this is one reason I did so well on vacation. I ate three meals a day, and at least one of those meals was usually small. The other one or two were darn good sized and extremely tasty. They were something to really look forward to, which made dealing with some hunger pangs doable.

If I had low blood sugar or high blood sugar or whatever, I would probably have more problems with this approach. I do find I'll get crabby as mealtime approaches, but a piece of fruit or even a half a piece usually does the trick fine.

I'll get my eating back to where it ought to be soon. I'm actually looking forward to it. I've set a date -- next Tuesday (my mom leaves then). And I'm trying not to go way overboard until then.

--Lauren
Old 06-13-2001, 03:00 PM   #12  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

Will the fourth time be the charm? My browser has crashed three times while I've tried to write this post!

Isn't it ironic that we women automatically think that we've done something wrong? Mousie, it never occurred to me that you might be attacking me! I thought I had implied that everyone ought to be doing WW the way I do, including mini meals. I was merely attempting to clarify my feeling that we all must approach this program as individuals and find what works best for each of us.

The latest WW programs are the first to truly give us the freedom to do that. For a contrast, check out:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...&threadid=6344
Read the text file of the WW program crica 1970.

That was the first WW program I ever followed. I copied it to use as a reality check when I get tempted to slip off program, rather than plan what I want and stay OP. It was a disaster and I blamed myself for not being disciplined enough to follow this "lifestyle" that would allow me to get thin and be thin forever.

I'm so grateful for the newest program because it really is a doable lifestyle. Even if I slip back into old habits, I don't dread getting back OP. I look forward to it because I feel so much better when I eat that way. I usually get back OP and wonder why in the world I ever went off!

We're really cookin' this week. I've copied and pasted all of your posts to my inspirational file. Mousie, I really loved your quote!

Lauren, I'm so glad you're finally optimistic about the program again. It seems as though you've been feeling a little guilty about not being perfectly OP lately. But you ought to be congratulating yourself. You've done a great job with a difficult situation.

Yesterday I accomplished all of my goals. I was very strict about my mini meals and I banked a few points. I've noticed that I never bank points and more often overeat when I eat three meals and snacks. I got all of my calcium and vitamin in. I ate more than five servings of fruits and veggies. I drank all of my water.

Today, I want to repeat my accomplishments, with one exception. We splurged on a (cheap!) fast food breakfast. I chose well and will be fine with points. But I had to skip my midmorning mini meal in order to stay in my point range. I need to figure out a better choice or make sure I have points banked that I'm not saving for something else.

I learned that the reason I overeat when I do three meals is that even if my regular meal is large, I still get hungry 2-3 hours later. I don't know why. Maybe my digestive system is super efficient or something. But this shows me that I need to make sure I have the points available to eat as frequently as I need to.

I also tend to overeat if I don't eat a nutritious meal when I get hungry. The past couple of weeks have been difficult, but taught me that lesson. I slipped back into eating three meals and snacks that consisted of snack-type foods. And I paid for it by gaining a little weight back and feeling lousy. I learned that I must stick with nutritious meals like soup and crackers, oatmeal or milk or yogurt and fruit, an egg and toast, a half sandwich and a salad, etc. I can do sweets and chips and that stuff if I save the points and plan them as part of a meal. The hard part is keeping food prepared so I'm not cooking all day! I'm getting the hang of it. I have so much more energy and I feel healthier overall when I eat this way so I think it's worth the extra effort. So, that's my goal for the rest of the day and on into tomorrow.

I hope all of you turtles are doing OK. I hope some of you who haven't posted in a while or who haven't posted at all, yet, will say, "Hi!"

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
Old 06-13-2001, 03:29 PM   #13  
Chick

Angry

Hi All,
I'll be back at my regular WW meeting today after skipping last week and not weighing in my regular meeting for two weeks prior to that. Last week I was all set to face the music, but had a family stressor I had to deal with. Today I weighed myself at home and it's not good (up about 5 pounds this month), but I had a great day yesterday and a good day today. I think right now I need more points. I think I'll go back to the 123 Success and Winning Points allotment but incorporate the activity to earn the higher points. That's my plan and now I'll *do* it. LOL.
I am going to do it because it's the direction I need to go in.
This board is really inspiring. You all have a lot going on in your lives right now that are very stressful. It's great to see that you're working program through all the tough times. I'm on the wagon and intend to hang on for dear life.
I joined WW originally when we had to eat fish and liver a certain number of times a week. Then I tried the selections program, but this program didn't allow me to feel successful. If I wanted an extra fruit, I felt as though I was off program. This new WW approach with points is so dignified and mature. I really like it. I would just like to lose about 30 pounds a week and eat 40-50 points a day. If anyone figures out how to do that, let me know. So, I'm chiming in with the slo turtles and doing it today. I'm journaling, my water is right on target, and I'm weighing in and staying at my meeting.
Good luck to all of you and to all of us!
234/215/thinner

Judy
Old 06-13-2001, 04:39 PM   #14  
Returning Member

Thumbs down

Hi turtle buds!

Just wanted to check in - I've been offline for quite a while. Must have been burned out on computers after finishing my classwork. All those late nights were worth it, though - got an A. I'm on one all day at work, but it's been pretty busy around here lately. Hope everyone is doing well - I'm printing the threads to read on my way home tonight.

We had a wonderful vacation in Florida and two days after I came back, I was on the plane to Connecticut for a work training session. All the traveling caught up with me, though, and I came down with a killer double ear infection and a bladder infection - Aaack! I'm finally feeling better after a couple of weeks of antibiotics.

I'm doing OK weight-wise - I didn't journal in Florida but got lots of exercise and tried my best to eat sensibly. I did get a little more indulgent every day, though, so it's good that I got back on track when I did. I only gained a pound down there. In Connecticut, I had no control over what we were served, but did OK for the most part. I lost the pound I'd gained and another two while I was there. (Being sick might have helped.)

Last Saturday I lost another 4.5 and got my 10% keychain - very exciting. I've been working hard, trying to stay within points and I've been riding my bike more often and longer. I still go over points at least one day a week, and don't always make up for it by banking points, but it seems to be working out OK. I'm in a new range now, and even though the difference is only a point, it's freaking me out. Must be a psychological thing - I can't stand to have my food taken away from me!

Good luck everyone,
Kimmers
332/295.5/269 (next 10% goal)

Last edited by Kimmers; 06-14-2001 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2001, 07:51 AM   #15  
Chick

Wink

Kimmers,
Congratulations on such a great accomplishment. Being on vacation and then visiting relatives and still staying with program doing it your way. And then reaching your 10% difference! You're doing great. I know what you mean about food being taken away. I think that's what's been bothering me for a long time now. If it's just one point, think about giving yourself that point once in a while to keep your head straight and see what happens.
I am giving myself the extra 2 points I lost in Jan. and making my exercise part of my program.
Everybody--gotta run to work, but I'm thinking of you all.
Judy

234/211/thinner
Closed Thread