Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 02:41 AM   #16  

very quickly before I get booted again ...lovely to see the posts, great news Trudy....I am off to Sydney tomorrow and will once again have normal internet access

I will post at the weekend and share some photos of little Matilda.......

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-20-2005, 11:56 AM   #17  

Question

Is anybody using the core plan?? We have decided to go to it and see if it will help with DH Blood Sugar readings. The Core Plan limits the amount of white flour products and starches like potatoes, rice and pasta. So we are going to ALL in this house try it. We are still going to measure portions and I will still be tracking as I always do better when I know at the end of the day how I did food wise. I say the whole house because it will be easier for the cook!

See you later
Karen
Old 05-21-2005, 05:33 AM   #18  

G'day all,

I have arrived back in Sydney.
My new computer is amazingly fast, I am very happy.

DH had dinner organised and he has been pouring me quite a few glasses of red wine so I had better not attempt to post any more, it will probably not make a great deal of sense.

'Talk' to you all tomorrow.

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 05-21-2005 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:32 AM   #19  

Morning,

Trying to catch up here.

Trudy how exciting to have another little one. Enjoy your trip and hope you are feeling better. Take care.

Glenda what fun you had with your friends. It is nice to have friends that you can be silly with. Your laughter was probably infectious. We all need to lighten up and laugh more.

Slavika hoping that you get the results you want from the bone marrow test. That email of the trump loeill was incredible. I wonder how long it took to do that.

Maria are you enjoying Matty?

Karen let us know how you like the core program. Not sure if I could stick to it.

We had a great time in Chicago last weekend. Hard to believe that a week had gone by. We didn't get into the city though. She lives in a cute neighborhood a few streets away. Been busy this week working at school and working in the yard. I bought some plants and a David Austin rose. It smells so good. For some reason it has been colder than usual this week.

Nothing real exciting has been happening. We spent the day with the little grandson Weds. He is growing and starting to smile a little. Love to sit and hold him and it is nice to give him back when he cries. lol
Old 05-21-2005, 10:10 AM   #20  
Web Nana

Every time I come here there is so much to read. Then when I start to post POOF! I foget what I read.

Trudy: What wonderful news about the new baby! You will have so much fun and I always love it when they are little. I enjoy it when they are older but there is something about a new, fresh baby.

Glenda: It sounds like you and a wonderful time with your friends. It is good that you can get together once in a while and just laugh.

Marie: I'll bet it is nice to be back to your fast computer but I am sure you will be missing Maddie till you get back home.

Karen: I do agree that the Core is too difficult to stay with for a long time.

This morning we got a call from DH's oldest and dearest friend that his wife had passed away. She had been in a nursing home since the 1st of April and had Cancer that had spread and she was also suffering from Alzheimer's and because of that they did not do Chemo. She died in her sleep and is at peace but we feel so badly for him. They were both only children and had no children of their own so he is now really alone. We will be there for him if he will let us. It is so sad.

Gloria....have a good weekend all!
Old 05-21-2005, 07:01 PM   #21  

G'day everyone,

I have been up since 4.30am Couldn't sleep, I was thinking of all the things I have to/want to do so I thought I might as well get up.
Hopefully I will have a good sleep tonight.

It is so nice to have fast internet connection again I have organised for it to be transferred from Sydney to Adelaide when we return on June 22. It should all be ready to go when we get back. When we go for such a short time it is not worth paying the transfer fee from this place to our home hence I use a dial up connection through dh's work which is the pits
The next 4 weeks will fly, I have a lot of work to do for customers, pack up, clean the place etc.

I just cannot believe this computer, it is soooo fast. DH is very pleased with himself that he has it all working in top notch.
Working with large files will now be a breeze.

Gloria so sorry to hear about your friend's passing. It will be very difficult for the husband to adjust to life without the visits to his wife.

I agree Peggy the trump loeill was quite amazing. I love David Austin roses

Trudy when is the new baby due? Your little will love having a little baby brother or sister.

Have to fly dh wants to load more stuff on my new computer....

See you tomorrow.

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-21-2005, 10:06 PM   #22  
Member Florida Chick

Thumbs down

Hi everyone:

Karen: I think the core program is very much like the phase 2 of the South Beach diet. I had a hard time sticking with it. since we 3 went back to ww I decided on the Flex points. But I don't know how to figure the activity points. Guess I'll learn.

I am soooooo frustrated. I have spent at least 3 hours with various techs since we couldn't get on line at all today. It seems something went very wrong with my Norton and it was blocking everything from coming in - no internet, no email. And the Norton Tech was from India and I could hardly understand him and he spoke so fast, I had to have him slow down so I could get it. He tried everything, and I deleted and configed and did all sorts of stuff and nothing worked. Finally I had to uninstall the Norton, and then I could get on line. And he was supposed to send me an email with instructions for reinstalling, and so far do not have it, so I figured out how to install it myself. I am no good when a tech starts talking to me. I just do what they say, since I haven't got a clue. And sometimes I wonder if they really know what they are doing, or are just experimenting with me.

Thanks for letting me vent. I am not in the right frame of mind to address anyone tonight and I'm just going to shut down and go to bed. Ann
Old 05-22-2005, 08:03 AM   #23  

Ann I just looked at the Gaylord Palms. It is just gorgeous. I could imagine spending some time there if I win the lottery. I am like you with computers. Very frustrating to have to figure out what someone is talking about over the phone. I need someone to do it for me. Seems like everything is outsourced these days. I just picked up a little South Beach book from a yard sale. It has lots of things listed and it is easier for me to understand than the big book.

Maria I bet it is nice to be connected to your fast computer again. Love the picture you sent of you and Matty.

Slavika your dh is very handsome. His hair will come back. Say a little prayer for him and another couple of friends everyday. I am sure that God is listening.

Gloria that is so sad about your friend.

Hope you all are having a nice weekend.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #24  

Maria Nice picture of you and Mattie. Ann is right you are very clever. Glad you have you new computer up and running. I sure like our DSL connection. You can just zoom around the internet.

Slavika very handsome hubby you have. Has he lost all of his hair? My Dad had enough hair for several people. When he went through chemo the first time he lost some of it but still had enough for several people. Don't know how it's doing this time. Any way it is nice to have a face to go with the name. Thanks for sharing.

Ann do you have your activity points booster slider thing yet? If so all you have to do is figure out if you exercise at low intensity ,moderate intensity, or high intensity. Most of us never get to the high. So I always figure at the moderate. So then if you exercised for 40 minutes you move the slider so that it shows 40 minutes under the moderate line then you just find your body weight and anything between the lines are the points you earn. Or you could just say 20 minutes = 1 point earned.

Talking about the core plan. I have found that you need to use the points allowance. I can not live without some bread and some ice cream. But being able to have the points allowance makes it easier. We have just been doing this for a five days and DH blood sugar readings are way down. This is the main reason we decided to try the core. It does take time to figure just what you can and can't eat. So we have lists all over the house. Portion control is the tricky part. Learning to stop eating after your first serving of whatever you are eating. If you go for seconds it should be more salad or veggies not the potatoes! We have also decided to eat most of our meals at home. Maybe go out once or twice a week and then try to stick with whole food not smothered in cheese or sauce. I will tell you that I was very pleased with the scale this morning. Sunday is the day I weigh myself at home. I was starting to panic over my weight because it was creeping up and up. and I don't want to go back to where I was 11 or more years ago. My thing was then I don't want to be 50 and fat. Now it has to be I don't want to 60 and fat!

Ann I sometimes wonder it the tech people we have to deal with are hired just to really make us quit and give up!

Karen

Last edited by Karen L; 05-22-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:30 PM   #25  

G'day all,

I finally had a reasonable night's sleep last night I was just starting to get into a routine at home sleepwise and now I have to get into a routine here again

Karen Once you are used to ADSL there is no going back to dial up. We have had it for about 5 years so when I do go back to dial up it is just the pits. I told dh that when we retire and have to adjust the budget a bit, I rather do without cable TV then my fast internet connection (his company pays for the fast internet connection at the moment)
I don't think we have the core plan in Australia, sounds very restrictive.

Ann I think we have all experienced so called 'experienced technicians' who have no idea what they are doing. I am very lucky that my dh is very technically minded and I always call him my 'personal helpdesk'. Between the 2 of us we always seem to be able to work things out.
I can understand your frustration and I hope all is working well again.

Peggyyou are right with the 'outsourcing' bit. I really do not know what companies think they are achieving other than further frustrating their customers. No doubt you have the same commercials on your TV, companies using the fact they have a 'real' person answering the phone as a marketing tool when that really should be the norm.

I have to agree with you all, Slavika's husband is a very nice looking man. Of course the thing that struck me is the hair I have lived with a husband with very little hair for over 35 years
Hope everything is keeping on track for your dh Slavika

I haven't unpacked yet from when I got back on Saturday so I best do that. We also had a call from some friends from Adelaide who are coming to Sydney at the end of the week for a few days. The next few weeks will certainly go very quickly and before we know it we will be back on the road all packed up heading west for Adelaide!

Have a great day all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #26  
Fun Blonde

You don't read for a few days and WOW! I am not sure I can remember anything I just read, but here goes. I am hoping Trudy does well with her trip. It is awful to feel punky at home, let alone on a little vacation.

Maria, I loved your picture. Your little angel is just that, a little angel. Don't you just love this time in your life???? And it just gets better and better. She will love her Grandma and Grandpa and when she really gets going, you will be back to see all the smiles.

Slavika, your hubby is so good looking! I know how it hits your ego when you lose your hair, and I know that a woman has no problem getting wigs. We have a VP here who lose all his hair and he had as much if not more problem with his self-esteem as I did. He said he couldn't use a baseball hat with suits and it was a problem. But it is growing back. It will grow back and that is the wonderful part of this. I know he is weak, but our bodies are so wonderful to come back like they do. And prayers going up for the transplant option.

Peggy, you have been so busy. Wish I had your energy.

Guys, I have forgotten everything else. Sure love talking to you.
Glenda

Karen, I am glad you are doing well on the Core plan. I have just ignored it. This week after my binging of last week has just flown. It has been easy to stick with 20 points, but I know that the hunger will start soon. What is funny is that I am wearing clothes I could not wear just before my girls came over for the weekend. I really feel better. Nothing (clothes) is binding right now, and I love it. Maybe I will have an incentive to keep going about 5 more pounds to my goal.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:00 PM   #27  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Today is our holiday, Victory Day. We went to our friends last night, they were having a huge fire works display. It was quite cool yesterday so DH and I did not stay for them. We got there around 5:30 for the BBQ and left around 8:00. It was nice for him to be out and to see lots of old friends and they all wish him well.
I sometimes think we are meant to marry men who are our opposite. I'm very optimistic but DH is not. I have absolutely no problem spending money, but DH sure gives it some thought before he gets his wallet out. This is all good, because we balance each other. With the chance of the Bone Marrow Transplant, there is a 85% chance that if DH did receive it, he would survive it and hopefully go into remission and extend his life by a few years. When DH talks about it, he says, "there is 15% chance that he will not survive the procedure". This is of course true, and I am not the one that would be getting the transplant so perhaps I would think differently if I were. I just want him to get better and to be here with me for a long time. I also reminded him that no one knows the future and lots of times the spouse that is sick is not the one that dies first. Life has been known to throw a few curve balls at all of us.
Well now, that was kind of deep thinking for a Monday.

On the "weight front", I have been making an effort to try to make wise choices as far as eating is concerned. I do much better if I plan a nice dinner that I can look forward to and I don't seem to eat so much during the day. After we see the doctor on June 1st, and find out the plans for DH I think I will go back to WW. I also do better if I am accountable to"THAT" scale, rather then my bathroom scale.
I never thought of myself as a "stress eater" but perhaps I just haven't had that much stress in my life before. I always thought I was more of social eater...you know, lunch with the girls, etc. Maybe I am both.....
Bye for now. P.S. I will not tell DH that you gals thought he looked "nice".......I'll save it for a day when maybe he needs a picker uppper, besides, I don't want it going to his head. hee hee
Old 05-23-2005, 03:30 PM   #28  

Karen that is great news about your success on the core plan. Your dh has to be pleased. I find it much easier to follow a plan and eat at home. When I eat out I always go with the best intentions then I look at the menu and they fly away. I just try not to eat all of it and bring it home for someone else to finish.

Maria when you go back home will you get to stay there any length of time? It seems like you go back and then you have relocate somewhere else yet again.

Slavika it is good that your dh gets out and about when he can. You get refreshed and think about different things other than your problems. Tell him the glass is half full not half empty. Keep positive.

Been doing some yard work. It is easier to pull weeds while the ground is wet from the rain. It is going to rain again tonight so they will probably all grow back. We were moving furniture around yesterday. My dh just loves to help with that. Not!!! I would like to pitch everything and start over. He shudders when I say that.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:29 PM   #29  

G'day all,

I am feeling much better today but I have a really bad cold At least I had a good nights sleep last night.

Glenda no binding clothes.....I wish I am trying very hard to stay on track and make the right choices but alas it just does not always happen that way. I lost a bit whilst I was home but now being back here again...it is very hard.

Peggy I don't know how long we will be home for. The project in Sydney is not finished and dh will be commuting from our home in Adelaide when he needs to. There is one place on the horizon that I do NOT want to go to and that is Jakarta. He has been told that if they win the contract that would be a 6 to 9 months (read at least 12 months ) project. DH would be willing to go for 3 months and I could join him for the middle 6 weeks but who knows. I am just happy that we are in a position that he can resign if we don't like the conditions.
On 'pitching' stuff....there is this wonderful store here in Sydney with all sorts of gift/kitchen/homeware etc. We have been there twice and I always say to dh that I would love to get rid of EVERYTHING in my kitchen and start again with some of the wonderful products that are available now.

Slavika that is fantastic news that your dh is a good candidate for a bone marrow transplant. I don't know a lot about his condition but surely to go in remission and have a good quality of life, would have to be worth taking that small risk for. What is the alternative?
Besides what else will they discover whilst he is in remission, maybe a cure?
DH and I are also very opposite. You would never have guessed it....but I like to talk DH is much quiter, I am also a lot more optimistic than dh. We balance each other out quite well!

I had better start on some of the jobs I need to do.

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-24-2005, 08:07 AM   #30  

Maybe that is why our marriages have longevity. DH and I are also opposites. He always looks to the negitive where I aways see the good first. I think looking at the glass half full is much better than half empty.

Slavika be sure to use Maria's words as to maybe during the remission they will find the cure. Medical science is amazing. I know it is easy for us to think like that because we are not sick. There was a time when having diabetes was a worse thing in the world. But now we know if diabetics take care of them selves its not so bad! Glad you got to visit with friends. It is good for the soul don't you think?

We have already had our walk. It is getting to hot to be walking later in the afternoon the way we were doing. So at 7:30am we had already walked 2 miles. We take Sprout with for the first mile and them drop him off at home and make the next circle at a faster pace. I will take him for a very short walks later on to day. he gets so warm and is just panting like crazy if he out too long in this heat. He does like to lay in the grass in our yard but he also likes to visit with other doggies and their people. He is a funny little dog.

Am going to finish up one of the boxes I'm working on. Then put on the varnish. I'm going to make something for the GS's now. I found some cute pictures of little boys fishing and playing ball that I going to do on a wall thingy with pegs in it so they can use them to hang a or 2 hat on. And then there is always the wash to do.

I'll check in later to see what's happening!

Karen
Closed Thread