Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:57 PM   #16  
Member Florida Chick

Hi Everyone; Well we had our 'Ladies monthly' today, and had a great time and lots of laughs. I brought home more than half of my lunch. I just don't seem to hve much space for food. We had out gift exchange and DHis happy because my gift basket had chocolate candy in it, which i can't eat, so gets it all. There was lots of little jars of different kinds of marmelades, so I can enjoy that on my toast. Then tonight Dh and I went out for supper, and once again brought half home, so we are all set for lunch tomorrow.

Slavika: Your journal is a great idea. And I too am the secretary, and now when we go to the Dr. they just hand me the orders, or prescriptions, or whatever. What power we wield. :

Karen: How did Sprout do with his hair cut?

I even started a few Christmas cards today. They will probably be late, but it is the thought that counts.

"See" you tomorrow. Ann
Old 12-17-2004, 05:12 PM   #17  
Fun Blonde

Slavika, your poor cowering husband! Such a funny story! Men just don't have the experience we have with doctors. When I was young and having babies, I got so used to exposing everything and talking to doctors about intimate things, but men! The first time my DH had a prostate exam, his face was totally white and I have never seen such a shocked look on his face. We sometimes have to teach them how to become patients or, at least, better patients. They just don't have the experience.

Sprout doing well? I bet he is pretty proud of his new do. I hope you got him done up for Christmas. We got our Raleigh cleaned up and he looks so cute with his Christmas bow on his collar.

Ashe/Jenye, my sister just called and said the sun is shining and all is right with the world. Isn't that the truth?! When it is sunny, wow, things are just easier to bear. I always have a problem realizing you are in the middle of summer when we have cold weather.

All, this is one of my eating days. Omigosh! I am miserable. I might feel better if I walked to Kansas and back tonight. This is such a pitiful stuffed feeling. I will not eat anything else today so that tomorrow I might feel human. Usually once I have one of these days it just continues until January 2nd. Not this time.
Glenda
Old 12-17-2004, 05:42 PM   #18  

G'day all,

A warm sunny day here today. We heard on the news that someone was killed by a shark at a beach just near where we live in Adelaide Mind you not that either dh and myself are in the habit of going 400 metres off shore and get towed by a surf board, it still makes you stop and think.
Our biggest dilemma at the moment is as to where we will go to witness the fireworks on New Year's Eve.
We hear that some 1 million people throng at the various vantage points. We will just play it by ear and see what happens, there is no way we are going to be getting to one of the supposed best vantage point ( around the Sydney Opera House) at 3 in the afternoon to sit and wait till midnight.
Not much longer before my dd and her dh arrive from Melbourne, I am so pleased they are spending Xmas with us.

Slavika I am glad at least YOU know the priorities in life and put your foot down about the flu injection. Men.....if only they would accept that women are always (well almost ) right or know best
What an excellent thing to do to keep a journal, there are so many things that one forgets at these stressful times.

Jeneye Looks like you are going to be in for some hot weather, I see in Adelaide it has been very hot, it is bound to hit you in Melbourne
. Just stay put in front of the airconditioner!

Ann you really are going along well, your 'ladies monthly' sounded a lot of fun.

Glenda I have been really struggling since coming to Sydney food wise, according to the dodgy scales that I have here, I am managing to maintain but I want to LOOSE
Once upon a time I just chose to ignore it all, at least now it is very much in the forefront of my mind.

Hope you are all having a great weekend, keeping cool or warm in whatever part of the world you are.

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-17-2004, 07:37 PM   #19  

Sprout looks so cute. They did him up like the Griffon. When the gals first saw him they thught he should be cut Yorkie but when they got started they saw he looks like a Griffon. He behaved vey well I was told. And he really seemed to like the ladies. But was as very glad to see me mind you but did not fight the groomers. He looks like he sould have a red bowtie. I wonder it he would keep it on?

Ann you are really doing well. The appetite will return. Trust me on that. Nice to be able to collect meals that way.

Slavika I loved the way you handled you DH. And sometimes they do need to be handled. Keep it up.

I guess everyone is really busy now getting ready for Christmas. I sent off Gift Card to my DD and her family and my Mom And Dad next year I plan to be mre organized and send presents.

Our park goes all out putting up lights and displays. Some of the houses look like the CHristmas Vacation movie house. But i do love the lights and go driving around at night in the golf cart to look at them. One i really like is very funny. They have a clothes line put up and hanging on it is Bright Red longjohns and fancy ladies red underwear. The biggest Red Bra I have ever seen. There is black boots on the ground under the line . It is very funny to see.

Have to frost some cookies.

Karen :merry:
Old 12-17-2004, 11:03 PM   #20  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi everyone

:merry: Can you believe that next Friday is Christmas Eve? The time is just flying by. I am ready with the gifts and everything is wrapped and under the tree, except for one gift that needs re-wrapping. The Grand-dog was here and took a liking to it and ripped up the Santa paper.
My little is enjoying all the lights, trees and decorations. She is always talking about Santa, Snowmen and Angels...I am enjoying her as she takes everything in. We are baby sitting tomorrow night, can't wait to see the little darling.
I have a tooth that is giving me some grief. I went to the dentist and he probed, and poked at it, and now it is really aggrivated and giving me more pain than I had before I saw him. Looks like I will be getting a root canal in the New Year. It is a molar with a very old huge filling. I think the last time that tooth was touched I was around 19. I should have left it alone.
We have had the craziest of weather. One day it rains and the next day it freezes. Today was so mild out and tomorrow the temps are going to be the opposite, I never know what to wear anymore. I wish it would get cold already and be done with it.
As far as men go, I don't think they have a clue what to expect when it comes to their health. If I didn't nag my DH he would never go to the doctor for a check-up.
This tooth is driving me nuts, I am due for some Advil... see you later...
Old 12-18-2004, 12:12 PM   #21  
Member Florida Chick

Hi Everyone:

Karen: That clothesline sounds like great fun. And glad that Sprout wasn't traumatized by his grooming. Just get some pretty red ribbon and tie it to his collar. That is what our goomer did. You may find that gift cards aren't a bad idea, since sometimes, I have found, the cost of postage to mail packages will be nearly the cost of the item you are sending.

Slavika: I'm glad that your DH finally listened to the wiser mind. Men are so funny. When we went for DH to see the Dr. for his follow-up, his remark was 'no matter what he says I am not going to the hospital again.' But I know if the Dr. insisted he would do it, even if it was kicking and screaming.

Maria: I'm sure you will have a wonderful time with your DD and SIL for Christmas. We will be going to the clubhouse for the meal and some fellowship. They also have a breakfast in the morning, so it is a nice day, for those who won't have any family members with them.

Glenda: I sure know what one of those 'eat the world' days are like. Now I can't eat even a full meal. We went out for dinner the other night, a first, and I had to bring home most of my meal. I get filled up so fast. I think it must be something like those people who do the stomach stapling go through. I wouldn't want to be this way forever. I would almost welcome an 'eat the world' day.

Trudy: Sorry about the aching tooth. Too bad the dentist couldn't have done more than probe and irritate. Grandkids are such a treasure. We got an email from our granddaughter about our GGrandson. She was with him in the store, and saw a big display of Santas. She asked Ryan did he know who that is. His answer was -'Santa-Pirate Yo Ho Ho. Out of the mouths of babes.

Lily: Having a busy weekend? I did finally get Christmas cards ready. And they will go out today. And this a.m. we put some lights on one of our bushes out front, so we won't be completely lightless. Are you doing a lot of decorating?

Peggy: Are you shoveling snow yet? We keep hearing about snow in your part of the world. I bet Karen is glad not to be up there shoveling, and shivering. Did you make any of your snow people this year? Has your DH found a place for all his stuff yet? And do you haave lots of decorations?

Ashe/Jenye: I have been doing some reading about Australia and the summer heat. Guess you are right in the middle of it. Do you get a cool breeze now and again. And do you get any rain in the summer, or is it dry?

I am trying to get up enough gumption to do a little baking next week, but I do have my Dr. appt. and I hope he will discharge me from his care now. And I made an appointment for a massage next week. I can finally lay on my stomach, so that was one of the first things on my list.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. Ann

Last edited by Lizziepie; 12-18-2004 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:01 PM   #22  
Ash

Default From Down Under

Hi everyone,

Today, Sunday, is a much cooler day and is giving us time to recharge our batteries before the onslaught hits us again. The weather bureau said it will be hot again by Christmas. Our decking out the back is nearly finished and only has to have the deck put on, all the joysts and bearers are now in place. They worked yesterday in all the heat and I am sure they were pooped by the end of the day. In the last 3 years rain has been very sparse as we were in a drought but the bureau is expecting normal rain conditions this year. We are fairly dry underfoot but it is green on top. We have breezes but nothing like sea breezes.

Ann We have very mild summers usually with a few hot days intersperced with the really hot weather coming when our kids go back to school in February and then later in March-Apri

Maria Is your daughter driving up to Sydney ? It looks like we have won the 1st Test against Pakistan, we are an odd 500 in front and 2 days to play. Glenelg is near West Beach isn't it, do you think that will keep you and your hubby in shallow waters when you go back to Adelaide ? I sure hope that they find the remains of that poor boyto help the grieving process with his parents.

Well ladies,until next time.

Jenye

Last edited by Ash; 12-18-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:36 PM   #23  

G'day all,

From a very hot Sydney today . Clouds are building up and we may have a bit of a storm late this afternoon. If anything about the Sydney weather I enjoy is the frequent electrical storms, they are quite spectacular.

Jenye Yes you are right Glenelg is right next to West Beach.
My dd and dh are flying up late Thursday afternoon, as soon as she finishes work. She has 5 days off.
The forecast is for a very hot christmas in Sydney, thank goodness we have very efficient airconditioning. I don't like having a cold Christmas dinner, it just doesn't seem the same if we don't have a roast turkey/ham and a christmas pudding for desert. We will get some prawns for Christmas Eve. They are much cheaper in Sydney then in Adelaide.

Ann None of your family around for Christmas??? I guess when everyone is spread wide and far it is difficult for everyone to meet at Christmas. Nice that you live in a community where many are probably in the same predicament.

Nice to see you Trudy, computer back to normal again?
Your little is at such a lovely age to get a bit of an idea of Christmas. I can imagine how much joy that would be.

Karen I bet sprout is looking cute. How does it feel to be in a warmer climate at Christmas time? Eventhough I have been in Australia for many years (44 years) I still have very fond memories of Christmas in winter when I was a child. The smells in the streets of everyone's cooking, the attending of midnight mass when it was just so cold and then the warmth of the coal fire when you came home, all lovely memories. I have always promised myself that I will spend one more Christmas in winter.

Hi to everyone else Peggy, Slavika, Lily and Glenda , hope you are all well and busy getting organised for Christmas.

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-19-2004, 01:50 PM   #24  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: Sounds like your DH is in Good hands. Glad the hospital visit was a positive one. I dont blame you for yeeling at him about the flu shot. Men some times.

Ann: No I didnt do alot of decortaing this year. We were going to go to DH Parents house for Christmas. But he got sick so we arent going now.
I almost pulled the boxes back out to decoraye some more but decided against it.

Trudy: Sorry to hear about the tooth. Sounds very painful.

I am all done for Christmas. Hubby however hasnt started

Hi to eveyone elese!
:merry:
Old 12-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #25  
Fun Blonde

Trudy, oh your aching mouth! My DH has to have a root canal too in the new year. Financially it will be easier then, but I told him if it hurts badly at all to go ahead and have it taken care of. I do not want a cranky man around me through the holidays!(Well, no more cranky than normal, I should say.) Our little angel is having a good time with Christmas too. One day she brought all the name tags to her mother. That proved interesting.

I have everything ready for Christmas, except the house and the food. I have two more days to work, but my DH is off one of those days. He will clean. Maria, you just stepped on my toes about the food. My family just decided that Christmas Eve we will have finger foods. So not a lot of cooking, just some sweet stuff and I am even buying pizza and cutting it into cocktail slices. And a relish tray and a cheese tray and shrimp. We won't be hungry, but just won't spend forever in the kitchen. And we will have plenty of sweets. Oh my, but January- ? will be a WW season, for sure.

Lily, You said your DH is ill? We have had so much of that lately. I hope he is okay now. I personally need to decorate to get into the Christmas spirit, so decorate. Just will give you something to do later.

Hope you all are doing what you need to be doing. Enjoy the day.
Glenda
Old 12-20-2004, 03:56 PM   #26  

G'day all,

Firstly good luck Slavika if I remember right, you and your dh have your next appointment today.

Lily I understood that you have finished all your christmas chores but your dh hasn't started I wasn't aware that any of our dh's had Christmas chores , it is left to me in my place!
We don't really buy gifts other than for the children and their husband/wife and now for my little grand-daughter

Glenda it is early in the morning and I was just debating if I should go to the gym, your post made me decide, yes I MUST make the effort!
Your food solution sounds good and you can still be a bit careful with fingerfood......I think

There was a bit of a debate on breakfast TV this morning that Australians are becoming too much like the Americans!
It has only been noticeable to me since my dh started working for an American company, we never really wish people a 'happy holiday season', it is always a 'happy Christmas'. I realise why you wish people 'happy holiday season' but I have to say that it may well be 'politically correct' but I think as a christian, it is a celebration of the birth of Christ that non-christians should respect as I respect Ramadan and Hanakkah or any other religious feast celebrated by non-christians.
I wonder what you all think.

Having said all that I wish you all a very joyous and peaceful Christmas spend with all those that are near and dear to you.

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-20-2004, 05:51 PM   #27  

Slavika, I am a long time lurker and feel I should speak up re your DH and his upcoming oncology treatment. Last year I had breast cancer with resultant surgery/radiation. THIS year DH had stage 4 colon cancer with resultant surgery and many cycles of chemo. He is in remission, the hair lost is back and DARK (he had Norwegian silverblonde hair), his energy level is back to his walking the dog 5-6 miles a day, a fast pace. The neuropathy from his chemo (which will be different that your DH's) is lingering, but 'is' dissapating ever so slowly.
As all on here have said, the oncology center's staff is warm and caring. I feel they deliberately attract caring people. Being he does not like needles I presume he will have a 'port' in his chest or arm for administering any chemo meds he needs. The chairs in the chemo room are soft and comfortable, blankets/quilts are available, and televisions with dvd/vcr combos are available as are headsets and stereos. They realize how very important it is that he is comfortable and relaxed. I was able to stay in the room with him, but that depends upon the size of the center and how busy they are on any given day.
Does he like to read? My guy's energy level went to zero, so he lived in his LaZBoy and read this past summer. A neighbor had loaned us a big applebox FULL of paperback books, the most priceless of gifts.
Take it one day at a time, and please take full advantage of any services the oncology center offers. A chaplain was always on call, as was a general counselor and a psychiatrist, and also other 'survivors' which helped him the most. Someone to talk with who had 'been there, done that'.
My name is Eileen, I am a 62 y/o grandma who is also a motorcycle riding cancer survivor!
Old 12-20-2004, 05:57 PM   #28  

I often wonder who actually reads our posts other than our group.

It is nice to 'see' you Eileen however I am puzzled why you have been a 'lurker' for so long??

Pleased to hear your husband and yourself have your health back and are enjoying life.
I am not too sure about the motorcycle riding!

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-20-2004, 06:09 PM   #29  

Why a lurker? I usually haunt another board, and just pop in here every so often to catch up on what people are doing. I only speak up when I feel it is important.
We ride the 'Big' bikes, no, not a Harley. A humongous Honda. Back rest, saddle bags, etc., and travel most everywhere. Yes, helmets and leathers. Since last summer was spent living in the oncology center, we are definitely making plans for riding highway 101 from WA to CA. Aside from this past summer, we have done it yearly for quite some time. Last year we did it 4 days after my lumpectomy, with my surgeon's blessings. To quote her: 'wear a sports bra, and go for it lady, go for it'. She knows what we ride, very 'cushy' ride, no bouncing. When we got back I started 33 consecutive weekdays of radiation, and rode the bike over to the hospital most days. Some days I was too tired, so either walked or DH drove me. It is 8 minutes from our house. Yup, a grey haired 'biker chick'. <snort>
Things like the past two years makes you realize 'seize the day and wring it out'.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:15 PM   #30  

I totally agree with your outlook on life, however the bike thing is not for me.
We hope to travel the old Route 66, is that now Highway 101?

I hope you will visit more often, we could do with the musings of a 'biker chick'

Have a great Christmas,

Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread