Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 09:28 AM   #16  
consistent

S/C/G: 227.8/216.2/210 challenge goal

Height: 5'7"

hello everyone!

It's Friday, oh yay! I love my day to myself. Coffee, cat and computer, and I'm a happy girl.

Next week will be the first time I've traveled since going back to ww. I travel a fair amount for my work, and I'm glad I have a month of practice at points under my belt before I take off this time. I'm going to do something a little different this time: I am going to focus on portion size. I travel with someone who lost 70 pounds and has kept it off for several years, so we generally make good choices. However, he is 6 foot 3 and a HE! I think portion size has gotten me in the past. Also, I'll be in safe walking places, so I'll be walking in the evenings.

So, I'll miss my regular weigh in next week, since I will be gone Sunday through Wednesday. I'll pick up another one at the center on Thursday sometime. Do you hear me planning my health?

Lin, I signed up for NaNoWriMo, and I was pleased to find states are listed on the forum. It's been difficult for me to meet other writers here...the two groups that I've found are male/female and in pretty formal critique format. I'm looking forward to the NaNoWriMo crowd.

Health to everyone, and don't forget to make a couple of excellent choices today!

choosewell

Last edited by choosewell; 10-03-2003 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:56 AM   #17  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs down

Hi Turtles,
Choosewell, you're up to the task! You've got the points method in your head and are able to follow it. Portion control sounds very important in restaurants where every offering seems to be at least 3x as big as it needs to be and is tasty to boot. I love that you're looking at this as a way to good health. Enjoy your trip and keep us posted. Lots of good luck and hugs for perserverance coming your way. And here's Lin's chef to help you make your choosewell choices good! (well, I intended to send a chef smilie--but it's not happening.)

Lin,
What fun about the teddy bears in your writing. Good luck with your marathon. I am so proud of you that you're working with elastic bands and a tape for shaping up. Also big thanks for finding out about the use of activity points. Since I don't earn more than 3 points tops when I exercise, this really hasn't been a concern for me, but I bet if I get out a 45-60min. Richard Simmons tape, I will go over 3 points. Thanks for the input. Have fun writing.

Lauren,
Good luck with your good health plan of wise food choices and healthy exercise.

We're doing this!
Love,
Judy
234/221.4/thinner
Old 10-03-2003, 03:46 PM   #18  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Wow, Lin -- how are you calculating activity points?? Maybe I'm under-calculating them, I don't know. I figure that when I'm walking briskly, it's one point per mile. (I can do just under four miles in an hour if I push myself.) When I do my aerobics tapes, I figure right now that 15 minutes is a point because I'm out of shape. When I drop another 10 pounds and get into better shape, then it'll be more like 20 minutes to earn a point, except when I'm doing the monster workouts by more difficult trainers.

Anyway, today I earned two points by doing my Leslie Sansone 2-mile walk. It takes a half hour. I really feel so much better when I exercise in the morning, even for just that half hour. Better mood and lots more energy throughout the day. No mid-day slump.

Yesterday was an AWFUL eating day for me. It started out by my checking out a new ice cream place in town, which was a mixed thing. It was bad in that I ate something like 20 points there!!! (Yes, I wrote it down.) This is a premium ice cream place that lets you pick stuff to mix into it. The good side is that I won't be going back. I didn't enjoy it! It was so fatty, it felt slippery and lard-like in my mouth. The flavor wasn't even very good. After hearing everyone rave about this place, I was surprised at how eh it was. I'd much rather have a half cup of gelato for four points. (We have a GREAT gelato place here.)

The weird thing is that I continued to eat badly for the rest of the afternoon. Not horribly, but way more than I needed. I ended up with vegetable soup for dinner and a VERY high-point day.

The upshot: I have about 9 flex points to last me the rest of the week (which ends Tuesday night!). I'm going out to eat tomorrow evening, so I'll really have to watch my points throughout the day. Fortunately, I'll also be doing my 4-mile walk that day.

I also love that with flex points, I don't feel like I irrevocably blew it. I had a very high-point day, but I used flex points. And now I can see exactly where I stand for the rest of the week. That is VERY cool. It stopped my bad eating right in its tracks and kept me from that shame spiral that just causes you to keep eating.

Lin, good luck with the writing -- sounds like you're having a lot of fun with it. Which is the point, right?? How on earth have I lost sight of that through the years? And WTG with the toning tapes. I just HATE toning. I'll have to work back up to it, because it really is important to do strenth training. Well, one thing at a time.

Judy, way to go on your loss this week! I know what you mean about being disappointed with the smaller losses, but they usually are followed by bigger ones. And no doubt you're also building muscle, so your inches will go down quicker than your scale numbers.

Choosewell, I hear you about coffee, cats, and computer! Those are my Thursdays. Good for you, planning ahead for your travel time. Will you have much control over where you eat? Going anywhere fun, or is this business?

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 10-03-2003, 07:45 PM   #19  
consistent

S/C/G: 227.8/216.2/210 challenge goal

Height: 5'7"

Well, today was a mixed success day. I didn't eat EVERYTHING that caught my eye, but I ate SOME things. Sigh. (To self turtle turtle turtle baby steps still learning turtle turtle turtle... ) Lauren, I guess all we can do is "pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and start all over again."

Travel...to VA just outside DC, work and not much fun. Although my folks live nearby so I'll see them a bit. My mom happens to be coming for a visit at the end of next week, as well.

Well, that inspired me. I have to go get off my can and take a walk, so I'll look good in more dressed up work clothes. Wouldn't a size 12 be just divine? I'm such a incorrigible flirt at 18W that I'm dangerous at anything 14 or below!

Maybe I'll go to a bookstore and walk all around. Double inspiration.

love love glug glug. choosewell.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:19 PM   #20  
Turtle Buddy

I don't have much time tonight. Things are going well. I'll start a new thread and post a more normal post tomorrow, after I finish my marathon words. Keep moving!
Old 10-04-2003, 10:53 AM   #21  
Turtle Buddy

Ok. I started #108. See you there!
Closed Thread