Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 04:17 PM   #16  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

I'm right with you, guys! Yesterday I mowed the front and back lawns, went shopping with my hubby and daughter (high activity--believe me), and got on the treadmill for 1/2 hour. Stayed OP and am doing great today.
Of course this is a program we can do all our lives. Thanks for whipping this thread into shape. Turtles, we are doing this!
Labor Day is my first milestone.
Love,
Judy
love all the things you are writing. I feel we're right back in the swing of things. Here's a valuable tip: Remember that Lin told us the Gladware 1 cup disposables are very handy for measuring?
I use them all the time.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:36 AM   #17  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Lauren, I have them on the computer, but they're saved in Lotus WordPro. I'll convert them to Word and send them, but don't expect them for a few days. We're going to San Jose on Saturday, so I have a really packed weekend. I want to edit the intro a bit, so I'll be starting a new thread sometime between now and Monday. Hang in there with the second page. I was caught off-guard with us writing so much again. YAY!!!

That's what I got from the online article about activity points. I picked up the new WW magazine. They hinted that the new tracker will work like a checkbook. You start with your target points and subtract the points as you eat them. Add in the exercise points as you do them. Each day you start that process over. You deduct from the 35 flex points as you use them, too. But they carry on throughout the week. On your weigh-in day, you start the 35 flexpoints over, no matter whether you've used them or not. It sounds so simple. We'll see how it goes as we all give it a try.

I had a talk with my son and informed him I'm going to do my execise videos and I didn't want any teasing. He agreed. I suggested that he could compliment me on doing something good for my health. He gave me a look and said that he'd just say nothing. It's because it's Richard Simmons, who he thinks is funny and worthy of teasing.

I had a talk with my husband, too. We had stopped buying yogurt because it got to be too expensive with both of us eating them. I'm addicted to the new yoplait whips because they're the perfect size for my appetite and they're totally yummy and they don't have artificial sweeteners in them. But I have to increase my calcium consumption and I'm not going to drink plain milk 3x a day. So, I'm buying enough for myself and anyone who eats them is dead meat.

It's not just following the WW program. It's that I'm feeling a strong need to make some changes due to hormone stuff. I'm approaching menopause and I feel different. I feel that I need to make some changes for the sake of my health. I'm still taking supplements, but getting it from food has a benefit you don't get from supplements, as is usually the case. I'm also trying to have fruit with each main meal. When I eat the way I like to eat, I have veggies with both lunch and dinner. Sometimes I have them in eggs at breakfast. Sometimes with soup as a snack. I actually prefer to eat a really healthy diet, but I get off track and I tend to eat too much of the basically healthy foods. More calories than my body really needs.

I walked yesterday when I went out to pick up the magazine. The article is more of a teaser--an ad to get you to join WW. In one part they say that it's based on your current weight and you have to go get weighed at WW to find out what your point target wil be. Anyway, the online article gave more basic information. The checkbook thing was the most helpful part of that article. They put together a 3-day sample menu. And gave some suggestions for using flexpoints. I always find their point suggestions humorous because I want to go to the restaurants where they find the foods prepared the way they suggest and in the portion sizes they use to calculate them. When was the last time anyone saw a 6" doughnut in a doughnut shop???

I also made my new journal. I found the spot in my old one and wrote a fresh start commitment. Then I turned the page to start with a clean slate and set up the charts for tracking my weight and my measurements and my first day of counting points again. So, I'm on track with my challenges. I have to do my videotape later this morning. I'm PMS'ing, too. I'm hoping that the exercise will help, but it's not been really bad so far this month.

As for the rest of my life--I'm swamped because I'm getting ready to move, keeping my fingers crossed that we'll find a place sometime this fall and they will have a vacancy when we're ready to move. I'm working on my books and doing some fun things for writing marathon challenges.

And we currently do not have a car. My husband is driving a rental car. Our car got a new engine, if you recall. Well the mechanic screwed up. The oil pump, which he should have replaced, stopped working. You all know what no oil does to an engine, and that's what happened. New engine---gone. The guy said he'd find us another and fix the car. Well, it's been over a week and he's given up. There is no engine for this car anywhere. It's old, but except for the blown engine and a few minor cosmetic things, it's in perfect shape, but useless because there are no parts available to fix it. So, he's offered to find us a replacement car. He's looking for a mid-90s Cavalier or Focus or a similar car. I'm dubious about the whole thing. But, we're waiting to see what he comes up with. Meantime, we're piling up car rental fees. If I wrote this scenario in a book, no one would believe it, guys. So, I'm hoping that needing a new car doesn't end up costing us the money we were going to use to move back to San Jose. Keep your fingers crossed. BTW--this is the second time I've told this story and I have a great desire to laugh. If being without a car weren't such an issue with my husband's commute, this would be funny. It's worse than the stuff comedy writers put in movies.

How's it going with you all?

Tidbit from one of the first posts explaining why I started the Turtle Club: one of the reasons I started this thread is because one of the biggest "whines" of all throughout the forum is, "This program is too-oo-oo s-l-o-w." And I wanted to try to put that slow speed in a positive light, especially since slow is the speed it goes. Since I can't change the speed, I decided to try to change my attitude about it. But I've noticed that in the past 5 years, people don't whine about the pace as much. The message that it's going to go slow, live with it, is getting through.

Our two new mottos:

Let's get moving! A good plan + a steady pace = a winning race!

Lin
Old 08-22-2003, 11:08 AM   #18  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Wow! I am so psyched about what's happening to us Turtles.
Lin, great comments. Good luck with your car, housing, etc. But I *love* hearing you say what you need to your husband and son.
You sound vitally involved in getting your weight off and that's fabulous! I love our new phrase included in your post. Suits me to a tee.

Lauren, glad to hear you've got a plan to exercise. Everything is looking up for us. When I'm tempted to eat something I know isn't going to help me in my good lifestyle plan, I think about how all of us are making this work. I think of my promise right through Labor Day.

I've got three social occasions coming right up. Child's birthday party, friends taking me out to an early dinner for my retirement and then going back to their house for snacks, and then a huge luncheon the next day. I've got plans and I have to live them minute by minute when I'm actually *at* the events. I'm not worrying about them beforehand and right now I'm heading to the treadmill.

We can do this!
Love,
Judy
Old 08-24-2003, 06:30 PM   #19  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I'm starting #101. See you there.

Lin
:dancer;
Closed Thread