Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 08:57 AM   #1  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Default Wednesday's Thread ~ 7/9/03

Rolling, Rolling, Rolling get this thread a rolling!
Old 07-09-2003, 09:07 AM   #2  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Morning Ladies! Thanks for all of the suggestions yesterday about the groceries. I have a few new ideas now. I wimped out and didn't go last night. I am coming down with something. I feel kind of guilty being at work b/c my voice is REALLY scratchy and they are probably all afraid that I am going to pass on some sickness. Every time I go to the dr with a sore throat though it ends up being viral and I just get angry b/c they don't give me DRUGS for my ailments! Oh well groceries on my luch is the new plan.

Well yesterday went pretty much as expected. We had cheesecake for a co worker's b-day and I had a piece. The good news is that I could have had it this morning for bkfst with some coffee which was tempting but I went for the oatmeal instead One small victory for man one huge leap for WWer's around the globe J/K! Other than this excitement not much new here! How is it going ladies????
Old 07-09-2003, 09:11 AM   #3  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Ooh changed my sig. I ended up losing a pound over the holiday wknd. I guess due to my canoeing, hiking etc. YAY!
Old 07-09-2003, 09:20 AM   #4  

Morning Becky,

I had oatmeal for breakfast too! Although I didn't have the option for cheesecake....

I just got over a nasty cold myself, and in the middle of it I totally lost my voice for a couple days. Wierd, although I was on vacation so I couldn't even milk it!

My second day on the wagon yesterday went ok. I ended up going out with a couple friends to this Jose Cuervo promotion thing where I had 1.5 free margaritas and of course they had free snacks. I had already eaten a big dinner, but I proceeded to have some raw veggies and a few chips with spinach and artichoke dip =( It wasn't too bad, but it did put me over for the day. It probably would have been worse with the drinks, but as we were waiting to leave (to go to another bar), I almost totally passed out, I have no idea why. So I didn't finish my second margartia and didn't have a beer at the next place. I have to referee kickball games tonight, but I don't think I'll stay out late. I'm thinking just 2 or 3 beers will be plenty. I haven't been getting much sleep, so I need to be good. Of course i say that now....But this guy who I went on a great date with like 2 weeks ago and then turned around and dissed me the next day will be there tonight. Another reason not to stay and get drunk!!

Anway, I'm loving that the boss isn't here yet and I get to play around. I have an upcoming diet buster on Saturday that I know I won't eat well at. I got tickets to a free brunch at this really nice steakhouse in downtown DC, and I can only imagine what they will be serving. It's one of those things where it's not worth it if I'm going to be so crazy about calories and just be eating the cantaloupe that's used as garnish, but I also don't want to eat 2 days worth of food in one sitting. Oh well, I guess I will try to eat a little less the days leading up to it.

BBL!
Old 07-09-2003, 10:03 AM   #5  

hey lexxy...i didn't realize you were so close to me. well i stayed OP yesterday! woohoo!! see i CAN do this! i weigh in tonight and i just hope i didn't gain from the 4th of july weekend but i was pretty good so far this week so if i lose nothing and gain nothing i will be happy with that.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:49 AM   #6  
A Yankee in Virginia

Lexxy: Margaritas, yum! That's one of my biggest challenges with weight loss ... cutting out the alcohol. I don't drink a lot, but I usually go out with friends once a week and we have a drink or two. I've been fairly good since I went back OP. I went to a baseball game and had diet coke instead of a beer. The 4th got to me ... I wasn't going to drink, even brought a huge water bottle with me, but someone made rum drinks and they looked so good I had to have one. And then I had two more. Sigh. One day last week I even turned out going out with some people because I didn't want to be tempted by a/appetizers and b/fruity drinks. I hate having to do that, but only two weeks back OP, I just don't trust myself!

Amber: I'm in Eastern Virginia, not as close as Lexxy, but not too far away!

Becky: Step away from the cheesecake! Better yet, throw it in the trash. Seriously. Then you won't be tempted.

Where is everyone?
Old 07-09-2003, 11:59 AM   #7  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Morning girls! We are officially back from vacation as of this morning. I have a lot of de-programming to do on Aaron, as 10 days spent with Nana will spoil a boy just crazy! He now completely expects to eat Fruit Loops for breakfast every morning, and "pop-a-cues" (popsicles) on demand, 3-4 times daily. Ugh -- my work is cut out for me!

I'm trying to catch up on all the posts I missed. Sounds like everyone had really active holidays! My parents had a big party, so we got our workout in by helping them haul beer, soda, ice, and coolers. Since my parents are low-carb, it was really easy to stay OP. I did have a planned cheat at my favorite pizza place of all time (I think it's that whole childhood memory thing that makes it so good to me) and it was well-worth it!

Becky, I am so dang proud of you! I could NEVER have passed on cheesecake. One piece would have even been beyond my reach. You are really exercising that will power and getting it stronger and stronger. COngrats on the pound down...it all adds up!

Lex, do you think you could have been dehydrated? There have been times during the hot summer months that I've gotten sick after 1-2 beers, and the only conclusion I could come to was that I did a lot of sweating and not enough water drinking and I just got dehydrated when the alcohol hit my syste,. Although you would think that with free margaritas they wouldn't be so strong. By the way HOW DO YOU ALWAYS FIND OUT ABOUT THINGS LIKE FREE MARGARITAS AND FANCY-PANTS BRUNCHES??? I need to hang out with you so that I learn your secret of sniffing out the free booze and fancy food!

Amber, you have just been plugging away, haven't you? Good for you! It's really going to pay off...you get stronger each time you stay OP!

Well, I have a whiny toddler to attend to. I began to read the thread about WW vs Lowcarb but haven't gotten all the way through it yet. Better believe I'll have to come to the defense of the too-often bashed low-carb diet. I know this is a WW thread, but that doesn't mean everything else is bad. Just individual choices, just like the rest of life. *Jayne steps down from her soapbox!*

See ya later, gators!
Old 07-09-2003, 12:01 PM   #8  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Kim, we were posting at the same time...you asked where everyone was, I guess I was hiding behind you. WTG on choosing that diet coke over the beer. Again, superhuman strength!!! As a good Milwaukee born-and-bred girl, I morally and ethically cannot turn down beer. More power to you if you can!
Old 07-09-2003, 12:23 PM   #9  
A Yankee in Virginia

Jayne: I'm also allergic to beer, so that helps. I know, I know, doesn't that suck? My dad has the same allergy. I developed it half-way through college. I can drink the better beers, like good microbrews, but Bud Light? No way. I sniffle and my eyes water and all that!

Hey, all, someone shared a recipe with me that looks yummy. Here it is.

Tequila Lime Chicken
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 C tequila
1 tsp grated lime rind
1/4 C fresh lime juice
2 TB light brown sugar
1/8 to 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
cooking spray
4 boneless chicken breasts

1. Combine first 7 ingredients. Set aside.
2. Coat nonstick skillet w/ spray. Place on med/hi heat till hot. Add chicken, cook 4 minutes on each side, or until browned.
3. Add tequila mixture, bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes. Uncover, turn chicken, and simmer 2 minutes, or until chicken is done and sauce is thickened.

Yields 4 servings (1 breast and 1 TB sauce.) FOUR points a serving.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:36 PM   #10  

Hey girls,

Eating lunch...chicken and rice, very boring.

Amber, where in MD are you? I actually work up in Gaithersburg, it's a loong commute.

Kim, I know what you mean about avoiding going out altogether in order to avoid the food. Unfortunately, my entire social life pretty much invlices alchohol. In the summer I usually end up going out 4 or 5 times a week. I probably sound like an alcoholic, but 2 nights are for kickball (one playing, one reffing), and when I'm not driving I usually have vodka and diet lemonade at the field and then light beers at the bar.

Jayne, I suppose it could have been that, although I think I had drank about a liter and a half of water that day. The margaritas definitely weren't strong, but they were very sour mix-ey. Who knows, but it had the potential to be very embarrasing. Luckily my friend helped me to a seat before I bit it. A friend of mine works doing promotions at a bar downtown, so that's how we get invites to these things. I also know a few bartenders around town, so I usually at least get discounts when I go out. There's no way I'd be able to afford it otherwise! It does kill the diet, but since I know I realistically it is very rare for me to go out and not drink, it eats into my food budget for the day. I remember last spring there was a group of us on the thread regularly eating like rabbits in order to leave room for drinks! Well, that's all I've got for now.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:34 PM   #11  
Cockeyed Optimist

Well, yesterday didn't go so well with the eating. Apparently, I thought that I was still on vacation. At least I had the good sense to go grocery shopping and stock up on veggies and fruit. Vacation involved overeating in abundance towards the end so I'm doing Jayne's step-down approach so that I don't starve unbearably. My plan is 27-30 pts today, 25-27pts tomorrow, and then back to 20-23 points starting Friday. I also got back into a planned work-out routine today. I walked for 30 min on the treadmill and then did The Firm Super Body Sculpt. I'm hoping to squeeze in 20-30 minutes of yoga tonight. I also created a monthly work-out plan and posted it on the refrigerator like I did last month. Doing that works really well for me. Keeps me motivated to work-out and everytime I go to get food I think seriously about what will fuel my work-outs rather than what is the yummiest snack.

Becky - hope you feel better. I applaud the oatmeal - I love it but can never eat it in this heat.

Lexxy - Did you say you play and ref in a kickball league? That's cool. I've never heard of a kickball league before.

Amber - Good Luck with WI tonight.

Kim - I've sometimes wondered if I'm allergic to beer. Just a few sips (like 1/4 of a can) and I get huge red blotches all over my skin. Your recipe looks good. I'm going to try it this week or next.

Jayne - Glad you are home chica - I missed you! I thought about you when we drove through Milwaukee. Good luck de-programming Aaron.

I need your assistance ladies. I'm planning a Girl's Night In (and you are all invited if you can come to Indy next week!) and need suggestions for yummy but healthy appetizers. Naturally will have a veggie plate and fruit but what else would be good? My recipes are all meals - not appetizers.

BBL.

Laura
Old 07-09-2003, 01:42 PM   #12  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Hey girls! I just returned from my "slightly" extended lunch/shopping trip. I have plenty of groceries now that should help me stay OP. Tonight I am going to attempt to make some Taco Casserole thing that I found on the WW recipe thread. Which brings me to a puzzling question. I have to top it with sourcream and cheese and melt it a bit at the end. If I wish to reheat this tomorrow for lunch will that be OK? I am just concerned about reheating sour cream. What do you think?

Lexxy~ MY boss is gone today too! Oatmeal, Colds, No Bosses! Party time!!!

Amber~ Good luck at WI!

Kim~ Everyone at work would be so pissed if I threw away cheesecake...I would be scared! Don't worry though it is gone and I resisted. Now the fat can pile on someone elses bootie!

Jayne~ Glad you had a good vacation. My parents are the same way with my neice. She never gets deprogrammed though b/c they see her soooo much. So it could be worse

Well wish me luck on my cooking endeavor. I bought a bunch of stuff to cook for dinners b/c I have been a major slacker in that dept. I am luck though DH's mom NEVER cooked so comparitively speaking he thinks I am Emeril

BBL b/c NO BOSS FOR ME!!!!!

Last edited by Grace, Grace; 07-09-2003 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:48 PM   #13  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Hey Laura, we must have been posting at the same time! How long are those firm tapes. I found out my library does have them!! I am so excited. As far as girls night that is a tough one and I can only think of fattening stuff. I will have to get back to you but in the mean time try and check out the appetizers on the WW recipe thread.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:32 PM   #14  
A Yankee in Virginia

Becky, ah ... it was work cheesecake. Sorry, I didn't realize that. I frequently have those work eating challenges, someone will have a birthday cake, or what have you. Fortunately I'm a cake snob ... I don't like those grocery store or Cosco cakes, even with the icing scraped off, so I usually avoid them -- even when I'm not counting points! But a homemade cake anywhere near me ... yikes, I could lose it then.

Lexxy: Sigh. I used to go out a lot, in my mid-20s especially. When I was single. Now I'm an old married lady. Actually, bc DH works nights, I do spend time with some women in my office, but it's usually going to movies and potlucks at each other's houses. Some of the recent parties, though, have got me: At the sex toy party I mentioned, there were some wonderful drinks, and of course, the Fourth of July party. There's a wine-tasting party next weekend that I'm going to have to bank points for, because the tastings aren't small! I LOVE wine. DH keeps buying more bottles and I keep trying to ignore them. At least a half a cup is only 2 points.

Oh, but the vodka and diet lemonade idea ... that's intriguing. I wish more bars would have diet sprite, b/c I love vodka and sprite.

OK, enough talking like all I think about is alcohol!
Old 07-09-2003, 02:56 PM   #15  
Canadian Chick

Hey I'm off to work. Just thought I'd stop by. Unfortunately I just had McD's for lunch (long story as to whY) & now I feel like crap. I've planned the rest of my day to compensate for my gross lunch though. I love it when the program works. Anyway have a great day.
Closed Thread