Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 12:55 AM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #215

G'day all,

Firstly Lily you are too clever just using notepad and writing all the HTML yourself. I haven't got my head around CCS yet, I have to really see it demonstrated for it to sink in.
All I can gather is that it makes all your pages identical but then so does a template , if you can enlighten me, that would be great.
Now having ADSL and it being so quick, I have been looking at quite a few tutorials (for Photoshop) that are in the form of a movie, it down loads so quickly, before it would take about 10 minutes for each movie to download so I just couldn't be bothered. I must see if there are any on CCS.

I went back to the osteopath yesterday and I told him he was no miracle worker however there have been very slight improvements. He did quite a few adjustments on my back yesterday and I think that could be doing the trick.
It is another lovely day and dh and myself went for a bike ride along the beach at lunch time, thought it may do my hips/back some good. . I certainly noticed I haven't ridden a bike for a while! I will have to get a few more rides in before I venture too far from home.

DH is booking to go back to NZ on May 20, depending on how long for is if I will go as well.
The world is a bit crazy at the moment with the SARS virus. NZ did have one suspected case just before we left and there was a lot of security etc. at the airport when we left .
Is it effecting Canada as bad as it is shown on our news services Slavika??? It certainly is a huge concern.

Hope you are all having a good day
Cheers
Maria
Old 04-29-2003, 09:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Karen Yes, I stay for the meetings. During the week I got into BAD foods (candy especially), and I was up 3.6 lbs at the meeting. This week I am staying at my lowest points 22. We'll see then!

[b] Maria [/] I ache for you in my knees and hips. I am hopeful that you will get relief real soon. I cannot remember when I last rode a bike.

[b]Glenda [/] We can work on losing together. I wish I only had 25 lbs to lose! Right now it is 55 lbs to goal!

[b] Slavika [/] Is there a "scare" near where you are with the SARS thing? It is so devastating; I hope a cure is found post haste.

[b] Everyone [/] Thank you for all your encouragement. I love reading about all your lives and activities - you put me to shame: if I'm not eating or watching TV, I'm quilting or at work! I do go to Lifetime Fitness 3 times a week. I do the treadmill and bike. I've heard of many women at WW who go to Curves. Sounds like a great environment for women.

Now that I know where the smilies are: here's to us!

Your WW friend, Marnie
Old 04-29-2003, 11:25 AM   #3  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Glad you are getting some relif.
CSS does make the pages look the same, but you can also make new layouts with it. Really kind of hard to explain. You can format the page alot easier with it. HTML is very limited but with CSS its can make it better. Im just getting into it because I have to build a web Page for my DH business and what he whats will require me to know it.
SO I just bought the CSS book for dummy's so I can learn. Thats how I learned HTML. It will be a while before I get his page up tho.

Marnie: Whats Lifetime Fitness? Is it like Curves or a gym?
Oh the 3.6 will be gone, Im sure you will get it right back off.

Best get to work have a stupid meeting to go to
Old 04-29-2003, 06:40 PM   #4  
Net browser

Hi Everybody I had tea time and I can't believe how quickly the time goes and how we always have so much to talk about.

Maria the World Health Orgainization believes SARS transmissions have been stopped in Canada, and Ontario officials are in Geneva trying to get WHO to lift a travel warning against Toronto. The WHO says that the epidemic appears to be over in Hong Kong and Singapore but it continues to spread rapidly in China.

Lily I won't even try to pretend to know what you and Maria are talking about.

"See" you all later.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:15 PM   #5  

G'day all,

It is a rainy day here today (rain at last ) and I am having ds and his wife for dinner tonight, I am having a minted roast leg of lamb, so nice to be home and being able to do this.
D-I-L has been again selected for the Australian Netball team and there is very little free time for her so we have to use every opportunity we can.

Lily I have been having a look around for tutorials on Style Sheets and there are several but for clever people like yourself who write their own HTML not so much for people like me who use Dreamweaver. I will keep looking and read up more about it.
I must have missed that your dh is working again, what is he doing? I would be very interested to see the website you are doing for him but with writing the html that would take some time.
Here is one site I thought you might like and find useful http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/css.html

Slavika I did read this morning in the paper that really the only place where it continues to spread is China. I guess people are still very wary and unless you HAVE to travel, one would probably postpone any travel until the all clear is given.
We are having a huge 'disaster' here, a very large 'pill making company' has been found to make irregular 'pills' with different ingredients than shown on the packet. Many brands are affected that use this company to produce their 'pills'. There is a large list in the paper of brands and products that people should discard/return. Millions of dollars involved and of course it is going to be disastrous for the smaller health food shops that may not be able to survive this. Then there are the people that have had bad effects taking the 'pills' and are now wanting to sue.
It is never ending.

MArnie hope you are giving the candy a miss this week! I am sure the results will be much better. I never ate sweets at all, chocolate is ok but I love jelly snakes etc. and once I start that is the end
It sounds to me that you are doing quite a bit, where do you work? I must have missed that when I was visiting very irregularly.

Now for the good news , I cannot quite believe it but I am feeling much better. The adjustments that the osteopath did last Monday seem to be the key to my hip/back problems. I reckon a few more visits and all should be well. Unbelievable, I have been putting up with this since last year November. Doctors just tell me it is osteo arthiritis and give me Viiox (which did nothing) when all the time my back was just out of 'whack'. Of course the trick is to find a 'good' osteopath and with the travel we do, that is very difficult. I will hold on to this one and he is just down the road of my home!
I won't get too excited but things are looking good.

HAve a great day all,
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 04-29-2003 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:23 AM   #6  

Here I go again!

I noticed yesterday's post has the ['s and /'s showing. I'll get there. I'm a slow learner!

Lily Lifetime Fitness is a "glorified" gym. Tons of equipment and weights. There's also a sauna (where I've never been), showers, tanning booths, etc. I usually just stick with the treadmill and staionary bike.

Slavika I'm glad SARS transmissions have been stopped in Canada. Remember the scare with Legionnaire's Disease?

Maria , I have not had any candy since Saturday and I know I feel better. It is a red light food for me - comfort and all that! I'm so glad you're getting some relief from our aches and pains.

Eveyone Wanted you to know I am in the third day of "perfect" OP days. I've been trying to stay at the lowest points of my numbers which are between 22-27. I'm really pushing veggies. I'd sure be interested in knowing how you all do it and what your secrets are.

Keeping my mouth closed for all no-no foods.

Catch ya later - Marnie
Old 04-30-2003, 09:57 PM   #7  

G'day all,

Good for you Marnie being in the third 'OP' day! Secrets to share on eating the right thing........plan, plan, plan!!!!! Sounds so easy but can be quite tricky in practice. Perhaps Karen and Lily have some more tips.

I am busy doing a poster for my father-in-law's 90th birthday. I have scanned etc. some 100 photos of the past and the present, a nice photo of him in the centre surrounded by stars with '90' in them.
It has been fun doing it, rang a printer this morning and will probably get it printed tomorrow. There is a huge variety of quality in the many photos but I hope it will turn out ok and more importantly that I have balanced the family. We are the only ones in the family that always take photo's so obviously I have to avoid it to be too onesided.
We will have it framed and I know he will love it. I have done a few collages on a smaller scale for him and he has really liked them.
A cool day here today, some of you may remember that I wanted to have my porch done with tesselated tiles, well it is finally happening and this morning a cement slab has been poured, next will be the tiles!

Have a great day everyone
Cheers
Maria
Old 05-01-2003, 12:35 AM   #8  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Been to that site a million times. It was the first place I went to learn HTML. Its a very good site. DH isnt working again. He is trying to start his own business for wireless Internet. Its a new and up coming thing. Can only wait to see how it goes. Just keep my fingers crossed and hope it flys!
Your poster sounds awesome. Sounds like lots of work to!

Marnie: Your gym sounds pretty nice! I go to one daily and I dont have a Sauna. ALAS! Course I would never go to it
Been in one once and it was like ok why am I here? Pretty hot!

All I can tell you Marnie, is if you have a bad day get right back on track. Dont try to suffer with eating low days all week. We all have bad days. Just do what you always do to feel happy and satisfied. Sooner or later it becomes a life style. You will still have bad days but you know if you get right back on track it will make it all better.
You have done that so just keep going.
Remind yourself as to why you are doing this. You have lost 10%, how did that make you feel? How do you feel now? Questions like this to myself always help me. Your doing fine, just keep going!

Nothing is a no no either. You just need to find a way to work it in. Dont deprive yourself of things you want.

Last edited by LilyG; 05-01-2003 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:49 AM   #9  

just me again.........

Lily my neighbour was in a similar position as your dh and he decided to start up something himself, cabling, internet etc.
His wife tells me that whilst it will be a while before they are millionaires he is very happy and making a reasonable living. Good luck, I hope it works out for him and you!

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-01-2003, 08:44 AM   #10  

Default thanks for your in put on meetings

The reason I ask is that most times I see those who struggle with weight loss are the ones who don't stay for meetings. Slavika Thanks for the reasoning about staying for meetings. I also agree those who just pay and weigh are just wasting money.

Marnie Good job being OP . But I also agree with Lily That you need to cut your self some slack. Remember it is persistence not perfection that will get you to goal We've been talking about Fruits and Veggies this week and sometimes that can be a down fall for me. So that is the one thing I have been good about this week is being able to check off those veggie boxes. I've also been staying at 22 points because I'm going to need as many as I can get for the weekend. It is our 38th anniversary today and we are going to spend the weekend in Minneapolis and the Mall of America. But I have rediscovered that Veggies are the way to go when trying to stay in that low point range. I've not been eating any junk at all this week. It seems no matter how long I do this I still need a lesson every now and then. I've been at goal for almost 10 years now I just realized it yeasterday.

Only have one meeting to do today have a sub coming to do the evening one just so DH and I can spend our actual anniversay together. Mosts times one or the other is sick( It seems that every year around this time I lose voice
)or one of has to be working somewhere.

Well I've got to get a shower and dress and be on my way.
catch you all later.

Karen
Old 05-01-2003, 09:46 AM   #11  

Good Morning, All I will take all of your suggestions to heart - I need all the help I can get. I especially like the fact that it doesn't all have to be off my body by tomorrow!

Lily How do you deal with sugar? I know that's my downfall. I do kind of consider it a no-no, just because it triggers wanting more when I eat it! I hope your husband's ventures prosper...and quickly. The best of luck.

Karen You'll practically be in my backyard - but nothing's far in the Twin Cities to the Mall of America. Sounds like a grand outing for the two of you and CONGRATULATIONS on 38 years!!! That's a long time (and with the same man!) Are you staying at one of the hotels? Where are you going for dinner? Or are all of the activities centered right there? How wonderful! BTW, when and why did you decide to become a WW leader? I bet it helps to keep you OP!

Maria and Lily Since you're the computer gurus, How can I get an avatar that's not included to be my signature picture? My sister sent me this "flying butterfly" but I can't seem to get it to go into the little box where I can change my profile options. Maria, the photo project sounds like a lot of work, but extremely beautiful. I know he will appreciate it.

Guess I should get something done. Thanks again for all your help.

Marnie
Old 05-01-2003, 07:38 PM   #12  

G'day all,

Karen I never realised we have our anniversary so close to yours. Ours is today, 33 years! We are not doing anything special other than I clipped dh over the ears this morning when I had to ask three times if there was anything different about today

Mys sister has decided to relocate from Sydney after 30 years and is settling back in Adelaide. I don't get on all that well with her however I thought it was a bit rough if she was to spend her first night of her new life in Adelaide in a motel so she will come here for dinner and stay the night. She will be buying a house in Adelaide as soon as she finds what she wants.

Marnieas far as your avatar of the flying butterfly it has to be a certain size, quite small, from memory 60 x 110 pixels. Check to see what size the butterfly, if it is too big it won't work as an avatar.
Lily you might want to correct me on this. Marnie I am very self taught and do a lot of things that probably are not strictly correct but they work for me so I do it. My experience has been the more you try to do etc. the more you learn.

Must get back to my poster, I had just about finished when my s-i-l called in to see how it was going and has brought a whole swag of new photos that she thought I could use and asked me to replace some of her photos with the new ones.
I will try and finish it asap and get it to the printers before I have to make more changes. I am really pleased with it though.

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria
Old 05-01-2003, 07:38 PM   #13  

I haven't been here in a while. I just don't know where the time goes. Went to see The Lion King over the weekend. It was wonderful and having seats in the 7th row wasn't too shabby. I can't believe the costumes.
  • Maria how are you doing without having wheat products? Is it hard to figure out what to eat?

Marnie I love sweets, especially chocolate. It seems if I take just a little it leads a craving for more. I try having a glass of water when I want something and waiting a while. Trying to put myself in control but it always doesn't work. Just take one thing at a time.
    Slavika have you found a quilted purse? You should make your own. I know that quilt shops have patterns for them and probably the pattern books. You should come down next year and go to the warehouse sale with me.
    Karen I haven't been a WW member for a while but when I did go I always stayed for the meeting. I can't see paying the $13 a week just to wi and then leave. I always got something out of the meeting and they were fun.
    Glenda I will be happy to join you and Marnie in trying to lose. I have 36 or so to go. I just gained back a few. I swore this would never happen but it did.
    Lily, me too. I can't figure out how to get an avatar from my docs to here. It has to be easy for this simple mind.
    Have to run,
Old 05-01-2003, 07:39 PM   #14  

Slavika here is the site for Vera Bradley. You can get some ideas. www.verabradley.com
Old 05-02-2003, 06:29 PM   #15  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Happy Anniversary Maria and Karen I hope both of you enjoyed your day. It's ok Maria, I find husbands often need a little nudging to bring back their memories. When you say to them, "don't you know what today is" they get this look, like my little wild bunny does when I come out into my back yard.
That's really a serious situation with that pill making company. I can well imagine that there would be law suites. Why would they even think that they wouldn't be caught?
Marnie good for you for getting back on program. That's the best thing to do. Don't try straving for a few days, just get back on program. I think I "might" have done that a few times. hee hee
Peggy thanks for posting that web addy. I love those Vera Bradly bags. Next time we are in the States I will look for them or maybe with summer coming we'll get a few here. Right now I have a soft denim purse and I love it. The purse itself is so light weight which is great because I seem to put so much stuff into it. Well gals, DH is home and I guess he will likely be looking for some din dins, so I will talk to you all later.
Closed Thread