Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 10:19 AM   #1  

Default 50 or more week of Dec. 16

If you have 50 or so pounds to lose, or are losing, this is the group for you! So jump on in and join; you'll be sure to get a warm welcome.

Kelly, I love that name, Amazon Alley! It is so good of you to take in all these little guys; and what a relief for your friend who is going overseas, to know her Amazon parrot will be in such good hands! Re: the juice, it does count as a fruit, and yogurt as a milk, though I don't think the fruit in the yogurt would be an entire fruit. Our leader said that the whole fruit is preferable to the juice, as you get more fiber, but either is fine. Btw, if you like creamy soups, have you tried pureed cauliflower soup? I love it. I cook a head of cauliflower (0 points) and a diced potato or two (8 oz just 3 pts) in chicken broth about 30 minutes. Then add salt and white pepper, puree it all, and finish it with a cup of skim or lowfat milk, or even nonfat half and half or skim evap. milk (not condensed, though). After adding the milk, don't boil it, just heat it up a bit. It's esp. good with some lowfat or nonfat croutons.

Linda, I'll bet you and your DH are enjoying your new room!

Dh and I went to Nuevo Laredo over the weekend. Did some Christmas shopping, had a few margaritas and fajitas... will have to go VERY low points this week to make up for it, though! This is our final exam week at school, so there's lots to do, and two more parties to attend. (We did ok at the first two, points-wise.) And I have to get two houses decorated, presents wrapped, and some cooking & freezing done! Oh my. I have to remind myself to take it one step at a time, and not get overwhelmed.

Hope everyone's week is off to a great start! Hi to Carol, Texaslady, JOYce, Lilithu, and Janet! Drop us a line when you can!

Regards,
Jan
Old 12-16-2002, 10:27 AM   #2  
BirdBrain

Well, I missed my weigh-in. We had that huge storm last night, and by the time I got up at 5, Shelby had to go pee so bad (on account of refusing 6 times last night when I went to check the aviaries) --I just threw on all my clothes to go out and completely forgot to weigh. I'll just do it tomorrow. What an exhausting night! (no bird deaths though)

Kelly
Old 12-16-2002, 03:22 PM   #3  
Inchworm

Janet the soup sounds delish!! will give it a try.
and will try very hard to take yor example and take one step at a time! so much to do! must bake baklava today to mail to kids and dgd. mail packages tomorrow. keep 10 yr old dgd on wednesday to shop for her mom. dd and 13 yr old dgd arrive Thursday for a 3 week visit. maybe between the dgd's my tree will finish being decorated. que sera`

I spent the weekend with sis, she is not doing well, has to start more radiation today on new tumors. she is getting too tired to care for her pets, KellyI may be in the bird rescue buisness myself if her friend who has birds doesn't take her 3 parrakeets. will be o.k., we have large aviaries. although she has one of them seperated and named 'Killer' because she tried to kill another one. who is Shelby?
It was good to spend time with her...I made a batch of baklava for her to give to her friends. Was the best and prettiest batch I have ever made! We divided it into 12 gifts.

more later...
Old 12-16-2002, 04:20 PM   #4  
BirdBrain

Well, even with the potatoes I get 1 point calculating the recipe at 4 servings. By some miracle, I have a cauliflower head, so I have the soup on the stove right now. I even have nonfat croutons. Thanks Janet.

Watch out JOYce! That's where it starts Before you know it, you'll have an entire clan.

Shelby is my border collie, the abused and anguished character:

http://www.avianrescue.org/shelby3.jpg

Who is currently the most abused dog ever, since we put a sheet over the couch because she has muddy feet. (Oh horrors! She has to lay on a sheet.) She's been pouting for an hour now, finally throwing herself down on the kitchen floor with her head behind a bird food bag.

The soup ended up more like 6 servings, and was really yummy! Janet, do you know if it is freezable?

Kelly

Last edited by KellyQ; 12-16-2002 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:46 PM   #5  
Inchworm

Poor abused Shelby! she does look like she has a rough time of it!
Old 12-16-2002, 09:58 PM   #6  
BirdBrain

Well, last night we made the Baked Beef Ziti (WW I think) and I hated it although my husband liked it. Go figure.

Here is tonight's recipe, and I actually like it but would rather add a cup of peas or broccoli or something (something I can't do with the husband.) Or put a can of mushrooms in. The best part is that it is only 4 points which shocked me to death. By using skim milk and low-fat cheese, you can probably lower that. This is my very own recipe! I had it with a giant salad w/fat free dressing and croutons, and a slice of homemade bread for a VERY filling 9 points.

Cheesy Chicken Casserole

8 Ounces Egg Noodles
3 Cups Canned Chicken Breast -- (Two 12-oz cans) --shredded into smaller pieces
1 Small Onion -- chopped
8 Each Mushrooms -- sliced
8 Ounces Cheddar Cheese -- Shredded
1 Cup Lowfat 2% Milk
1 Can 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350*. Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain. Combine all ingredients and fold into noodles. Place in 2 quart baking dish (7.5 x 12) Reserve a little cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top if desired. Bake uncovered in oven for 30 to 45 minutes.

Per serving: 188 Calories (kcal); 9g Total Fat; (42% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 53mg Cholesterol; 277mg Sodium

Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

15 Servings
4 WW Points

** We get the Kirkland brand chicken chunks at Costco. I was surprised at how much lower the calories went when I put "canned chicken" into MasterCook. It is close to fat-free.

Last edited by KellyQ; 12-16-2002 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:55 PM   #7  

Kelly, Shelby is just so precious! Brought back memories of our sweet dog, ABC ("Almost a Border Collie", BC for short) that dh rescued from the roadside years ago. Dh got a little misty-eyed seeing Shelby's picture, I do believe. (What a cutie!) That dog went with him everywhere. I'm glad you liked the soup! And yes, it freezes beautifully, just reheat gently. Thanks for the chicken pasta recipe, it sounds great!

JOYce, I am so sorry that your sister is not doing well. How sweet of you to make those gifts of baklava for her to give her friends; I know that meant a lot to her! I'll bet the dgd's will be excited to decorate the tree; you sit back with a cup of tea and enjoy, ok? One step at a time, let's just keep telling ourselves.

We had a real shock this evening. Just after Dh and I got back from our 3-mile walk (trying to make up for Mexico!) I had a msg from my sister in Florida. Called her back, turns out her sweet dh was just told he has a 95% blockage in his carotid artery, and the doctors want to do surgery immediately; they are amazed he hasn't had a stroke. Bless his heart, he wanted to postpone it so he and she could drive here for Christmas!! But ds and the doctors prevailed, and he's having surgery Thursday. So dh and I are driving out there this weekend, and will pick up Dad & bring him home. Younger ds won't be able to join us, as she used up all her vacation time on the non-cruise. Whew. I am just so thankful the doctors found the blockage in time!

Hope everyone is doing well; ttyl!
Regards,
Jan
Old 12-17-2002, 06:16 AM   #8  

Good morning, everyone! This will need to be a short post, but I have been AWOL for so long I wanted to check in.
First of all, WELCOME, KELLY! Sorry to be so long saying that. I enjoy reading your posts and your recipes, and loved the picture of Shelby! How did you get the picture in the middle of your post like that?
Joyce, I am so sorry to hear about your sister! I pray the radiation will do it's job and bring her back to health. Fatique goes hand in hand with the radiation- I have a coworker who just finished chemo and is about to start radiation, and that is what the doctor warned her about. She is always in my prayers, but I will pray extra hard for her right now.I loved reading your article- thanks so much for sending it to me.
Jan, what a relief that they found your brother-in-law's blockage before it became a crisis! He is also in my prayers. I'm sure your trip to pick up your dad will be rushed, but if you get a chance, call me when you are in the area. Also, my best to your sweet dad. Drive carefully!

Well, time is getting away from me, so I'd better get going. We are all fine, except for colds (me, dgs, dgd, dd and exdh, who probably started it all). I'm about to give in and start an antibiotic- I've had a fever for over a week now.I'm not ready for Xmas- it's sneaking up on me. Packages to mail, shopping to finish, etc. I love my job- they are such nice people! I'm gradually getting used to being "the boss" in that office, but it still seemes strange to hear someone introduce me to a family member that way. I keep looking behind me to see who they are talking about! We had a pot luck Christmas party Sat at the home of one of the nurse practitioners, and it was a lot of fun.

Gotta really run now. Hi to Janet, Linda, Texaslady, Lilithu and anyone I missed! Have a great OP day, everyone.
Carol
Old 12-17-2002, 10:13 AM   #9  

Carol, so good to hear from you! I'm sorry you have a cold; hope it's over soon. Will try to call you when we get to Jeanne's; thanks for keeping my dbil in your prayers! He is such a great guy; I wish he didn't have to go through this, but we feel so fortunate that they found it before he had a stroke!

I forgot to say hi to Tonya earlier in this thread ... hi! Hope all is well.

Gotta run ... have to print out a test review and build some exams... hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

Regards,
Jan
Old 12-17-2002, 10:34 AM   #10  
BirdBrain

http://www.qworld.net/shelby/images/shelby_9_24_00.jpg

Just a puppy fix for Tuesday morning. This is Shelby when I first got her two years ago. I can still smell her baby breath, and her belly was so soft I couldn't keep my hands off of it. She actually has her own webpage: http://www.qworld.net/shelby/

I lost 2.5 pounds!! I'm so psyched. I'm doing the Joe Boxer box dance.

Hiya Carol! I hope your cold does better. There's nothing worse than being sick this time of year. You put pictures in just like the bold but the tag is IMG then the path/url for the pix in the middle. I ate my way through Mexico... it didn't help that my boyfriend at the time owned a restaurant there.

Joyce, that must be frustrating for your sister. I hope it gets taken care of this time. You'll have to post your recipe for baklava Also, your sister might consider hiring a pet sitter to come in as needed to help out with the pets. If you send me her city, I used to be on a petsitting list with some really great people, perhaps there is one in her area.

Janet, thank goodness they caught the blockage. Even if this year is kind of botched, they'll be grateful for it next Chrismas! I sure hope he does well.

Hope everyone has a great OP week!

Kelly

Last edited by KellyQ; 12-17-2002 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:09 AM   #11  

Yay, Kelly, 2.5 pounds gone! Am doing the happy dance for ya! That is a really good loss; you should be very proud of yourself!

Jan
Old 12-18-2002, 12:58 PM   #12  

Default HAPPY WEDNESDAY...

Hi girls! This is going to be a quick post, but I will post more later. I have been trying to catch up on all the posts. What a joy it was to see so many!!

I want to say hi and welcome to Kelly. I am a regular poster here Kelly, but have been a little slack lately. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and checking out your Conventry website. What beautiful birds!! I cried for thirty minutes after reading about Ringo! I am a huge animal lover. I have only had one bird in my life, and that was a beautiful little parakeet who I had growing up. He died shortly after I left for college, and I always believed that he died of a broken heart. My parents said that he didn't sing or seem cheerful anymore. If I could have taken him with me, I would have. We always had pets growing up, and some of my favorites were rescued. I would have brought home every stray of every variety if it had been up to me, but my parents always said that when I grew up and was on my own I could have as many pets as I liked. Now we have one sweet Shetland Sheepdog named Maddie and a Dalmation with personality plus named McKenzie. My daughter's boyfriend's family hasn't figured out where cats come from and I now find myself with four of their kittens. One was from his sister's home. All the other kittens had gotten killed so I agreed that we would take the last surviving one since my Persian that I had for so many years had just passed away. Then one of the cats at his mother's ranch had another litter. All the other litters (and there have been many) have ended up being killed or taken to the animal rescue. The mother cat ended up being hit by a car and I found myself agreeing to take care of four tiny, precious, innocent kittens until we could find them homes. I bottle fed them and then became so attached that I was devasted when I found a wonderful home for one of them. I promised the other three that I would not let them go unless I could find them a home that was equally as good...they are still with us! I know I sound like a proud mother (and I have never even been a "cat person") but these kittens are some of the cutest I have ever seen. They are part of the family now...Sampson (Sammy), Chubbers and Spanky Doodle...oh, and Ginger was the first cat. If anyone had told me that I would have six pets, I would have told them they were crazy because I could never afford it, but here we all are. I told my daughter last weekend that I would love to have another bird, but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon with all the cats around. Hopefully, my daughter will take two of them when she goes to Mississippi State next fall...that is if she lives in an apartment. When I was trying to find a home for the kittens, I got involved with a cat rescue group and we now volunteer with that organization, but it is hard on my heart. I have a great respect for those people like you Kelly who do this work and who so unselfishly devote their time, money and love so willingly.

I had better get back to work, but I will post more later. JOYce, my prayers are with you and your sister. I know that this must be a very difficult time for all of you. Jan, your brother-in-law will also be in my prayers. How did they find the blockage?? Had he been having symptoms of some kind??

Hi to everyone else. I'm glad to know that Texaslady is okay. I've been worried about her, although I have no room to talk after not posting regularly lately.

Janet (Kudzu)

P. S. Shelby is PRECIOUS!!
Old 12-18-2002, 09:25 PM   #13  

Hi Janet! So good to hear from you! I didn't know you volunteered with a cat rescue organization, but it certainly doesn't surprise me; you have always been so kind and concerned with animals (and people too) in need. Is your daughter home for the holidays now?

Re: my dbil, he had hernia surgery about a month ago, and was at the doctor's for a checkup; don't know why they decided to run a scan, except that his blood pressure was high. (Turns out that was caused by the blockage.) His surgery is tomorrow, so we surely appreciate any prayers you can send his way.

Dh and I are busy packing and planning to leave for Florida Sun. morning; am washing clothes now, and about to finish writing another midterm exam. Didn't get a walk in today; gotta put that back on the front burner!

Hope everyone had a great Wednesday! Hi to Linda, Carol, Texaslady, JOYce, Tonya, Lilithu, and Kelly!

Regards,
Jan
Old 12-19-2002, 02:18 AM   #14  
Inchworm

Thanks Janet, It is good to hear from you. You are amazing in all you do.
JAN, I'm so glad your b-i-l was diagnosed in time, I pray that tomorrow's surgery will be successful and routine.

Shopping went fine today with dgd. She had definite ideas of what she wanted to get her mom, so was pretty painless shopping.

Carol Good to hear from you too! thanks for your prayers...
they are so important! her radiation doctor told her today that she is not having a total relapse. so she feels good about that. Even tho another doctor disagrees with him. I guess the good thing about having so many doctors, is that she can choose who she wants to believe, She is still a tower of 'positivity'...being 6 ft+ tall, she truly is a tower!

While eating a bowl of WW chili tonight, I discovered that a large portion of one of my teeth is missing! so have to try to work in a dental appt. I DON"T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!!!

I have a plane to meet tomorrow! Hope the storm waits til I get that done. It's supposed to be a big one!! Better get to bed and rest up for the big day...hoping I can get an early appt., before I have to meet the plane.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:51 AM   #15  

Oh JOYce, what a time for a chipped tooth! With all you have to do! I hope the dentist appt. goes well this morning. (And good for you, having WW chili!) I am glad to hear that your sister's doctor (well, at least one of them) believes she is not in relapse. I imagine that her positivity, combined with your support and love, will help her a great deal. She is in our prayers.

Dh and I are busy getting ready to go to Florida; lots of arrangements to make, esp. for Dh with the cattle, etc. We have two more parties to go to, the HS faculty party tomorrow night, and a graduation party Sat. for the son of one of our dearest friends. I plan to have some soup and toast before going, so maybe I can avoid eating all those high-fat goodies that will undoubtedly be there. (Probably our friends' party will have some healthy choices, though, and I'm taking a veggie tray to the faculty party.)

This afternoon is dbil's surgery, so if you can, say a little prayer for him ...

Hi to Texaslady, Carol, Linda, Kelly, Tonya, Lilithu, and Janet!
Regards,
Jan
Closed Thread