Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 10:53 AM   #1  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Post Wednesday Thread

Hey everyone. Today is busy. Don't have time to post but wanted to start the thread. I'll be back later.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:23 AM   #2  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

Ok where is everyone today? I am stressed so not much to say.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:59 AM   #3  
Scotland's finest export

Default i'm here

sorry girls, work is very busy cos we have to get everything done by friday (cos then we're on holiday till jan). so no time to post really, just came by to say hi.
and also to tell jayne i was really saddened by your loss. my thoughts are with you.
so, hope you are all looking after yourselves and trying to avoid the holiday treats!
BF and i are going to host a pre-xmas dinner on saturday for 6 close friends (because we're each going to stay with our own parents for xmas we won't see each other). i can't wait. he's in charge of the turkey. anyone got top turkey tips - he doesn't actually know how to do it! oh, and two of our friends are muslim so we have to keep pork separate from turkey. i'm quite tempted to avoid making kilted sausages/pigs in blankets (small sausages wrapped in bacon) just so they don't feel awkward if everyone else is eating them. i'm not sure. they're pretty high in points so not having them does have a plus side! what do you guys reckon?
oops, this was going to be short! gotta dash. hopefully i'll have more time to post tomorrow,
kirsty
Old 12-18-2002, 12:14 PM   #4  
Proud Canadian

Wow, it is slow today. I'm tired today - went to the Two Towers last night (midnight showing-my excuse was, I'm young, single (with no kids) and can sleep at work) - Of course I forgot about the 2 meetings today - Coffee coffee. It was fantastic. Gollum was sooo wonderful. I'm still remembering little bits.
Kirsty - one of Martha's turkey tips is to cook with the breasts down (traditionally turkeys are cooked breasts up) - it doesn't look as pretty but it makes the white meat REALLY tender. My other suggestion is to remember that if you take it out an hour before you eat, it will continue to cook while it sits on the bone. Those are some of my first turkey tips.
Hi Jen, Hi Lori, Hi everyone else. BBL
KT
Old 12-18-2002, 12:26 PM   #5  

I am here-ate a HUGE breakfast and have been nauseated for much of the day...everyone is going out for Indian food today-no one knows my PG situation, so I can't refuse without it looking really weird-hope I can get through the meal!

KT Can't wait to see Two Towers-we just watched the first one on Sunday-it was good but felt really long and drawn out-heard Part 2 was better. DH has read the books and was able to follow along better than I was...good thing he was there to explain it to me!

Jayne-Check your PM's

Kirsty-You could try the turkey in a bag-it is really moist that way and cooks a lot faster-the downside is that you don't get crispy skin to chew on(that may be an upside though-lower in points!)
Then make gravy and you are all set...

Hey Jen, Lori, and everyone else-where are you all???
Lori D
Old 12-18-2002, 12:37 PM   #6  

Kirsty... Definately use a bag when you cook the turkey. It really does help keep the turkey moist. And don't overcook. Big no no because it will dry out very quickly. Also, don't undercook, as we all know why that is!!! We usually don't stuff the turkey, and if I do, I stuff it with spices/herbs, cut up apples, onions and celery. Adds a different flavor. You can pretty much do anything that interests you.

Lori, good luck. I am just stressed and crabby and tired today. But can pretty much eat anything!

OK, off to lunch!
Old 12-18-2002, 01:13 PM   #7  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Dr. Lori - Hope things go well with that Indian food! You could use my excuse...well its not an excuse, it really does happen, but I am allergic to a lot of foods, so I basically stick with foods that I eat regularly.

KT - I am going to the 6:30 show tonight. I am an AVID LOTR reader and fan. I didn't care much for the the Fellowship of the Ring the first time I saw it. In fact, I think I hated it. But then I realized you can't possibly fit all that stuff into one movie! I am hoping that I will like the Two Towers better the first time around than I did the Fellowship of the Ring.

So today is hectic. I have a friend at work who is 23, married (since she was 19) and is legal guardian of her sister. To make a long story short her sister (who is 14) ran away this morning. They just moved to RI and I guess her sister hates it here which led to this. My friend is thinking about giving her sister legally back to her Mom, but her Mom says "I can't afford her" and "If I take her back then I won't be able to afford to go out anywhere". I don't want to put in writing what I think of her Mom. I feel really bad for my friend. I am just trying to be there for her right now. He sister called a boy this morning who picked her up at the house and drove away with her. My friend's husband was home when this happened and called my friend here at work. So my friend called the police. This boy is obviously over 18 because he has his own apartment and my friend and her husband just found out by going through her sister's things that she is doing drugs *sigh*. The police are still searching for her sister. Apparently it is a criminal offence to run away from home here in RI so her sister will now have a record, and they will most likely arrest the guy who picked her up too. I'll keep you all updated. I am very worried for my friend right now.

So thats whats going on here. Anyone else?
Old 12-18-2002, 01:39 PM   #8  
Proud Canadian

Lori - I suggest being prepared to wathc the movie as a movie in its own right and not as the book in movie form. They take a number of liberties with the ways the battles are set up that differ fom the book. But as a movie on it's own - Fantastic! That's very good of your friend to take in her sister like that but her mother sounds crazy! Hopefully they can find her and work things out.
Lori - can't you just tell them you had other plans?
Jen - we always stuff our turkeys with dressing (bread, onions and spices) but I like your way, maybe one day we can try it like that.
KT
Old 12-18-2002, 02:33 PM   #9  

KT.... but don't eat the stuffing concoction I talked about. Just discard it when the turkey is done. My hubby likes to smoke turkey and grill them too. That is what I put in them. Them I baste the turkey with a broth/soy sauce/spice stuff. They are wonderful tasting. We used to stuff our turkey with "stuffing" we my family all prefers crusty stuffing, not mushy. So now we just bake the stuffing on the side so we can fight over the crusty edges. We are weird!!
Closed Thread