Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 11:47 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr olds #196

G'day all,

Well the best news must be that the sniper seems to have been caught.
Hopefully the hostage crisis in Moscow will come to a safe end soon. There is just so much hatred in the world, it never seems to abate.

I went to see 'My fat Greek Wedding' yesterday afternoon. I went on my own and I loved it. I agree with all the comments, from those that saw the movie, have made.

DH just rang to say he was about to board his flight in Sydney to get home. He should be back in Adelaide in 2 hours time.
Lily dh was on a hook-up to the States yesterday and the 10 000 redundancies will happen but now closer to Christmas . Maybe the people in Lucent you deal with may not be effected . DH is reasonably confident he will survive the next cull so much so that he has booked some very expensive seats for us to go and see Paul McCartney's concert in Melbourne on November 23. . He is a big fan but he talks as though he is doing me a big favour, I think the seats at $185 each is ridiculous. We will drive over in the little dream machine and stay in a motel across the road from where dd lives. Looking forward to seeing her and her dh.
It is Paul McCartney's only concert in Australia, should be good but..........

Hanging the curtains at ds's tomorrow and I am also going to a very exclusive fabric shop near where he lives. I am still toying with the idea of making something new for his wedding. The silk dh brought back from India is an option but I was also thinking about a camisole top and pants in a soft crepe with a see- through long jacket. Just thoughts, if I see fabric that would match my idea in my head, I will go for it.

Must go and have a bit of a tidy before picking up dh from the airport.
See ya all
Cheers
Maria
Old 10-25-2002, 01:03 AM   #2  

Ann, I get so much crap in my e-mail I can't beleive it. It's gotten so that unless I know the person or recognize the address or am expecting something from some one I hit that delete button. You know you get 125 messages and keep 2.

It was a busy day for me today. All of receptionist were gone so had to do everything myself. Happily all my book work came out right. At the end of the meeting I had the right amount of money. Surprise , surprise. And through it all I managed to smile.

Had to go have my wedding rings made larger 1-1/2 sizes. The arthritis in that knuckle is so bad . Now they ( rings) twist around and around once they are on. That, my dears is a defining moment none of us want to have. Getting old ain't for wimps.

Karen
Old 10-25-2002, 07:10 AM   #3  

Maria I like the idea of making pants and tops. You need something new for this wedding. I wouldn't mind seeing Paul M. Karen I have been getting some spam but nothing like what you have. Jenye welcome back from your vacation. Going to my sis's tonite for an Italian meal. I am making the WW angel food cake for a light dessert after all that she is having. It is a big family get together for some out of towners.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:38 AM   #4  
Member Florida Chick

Good Morning all
Karen a suggestion from my jeweler. Have him put some small gold balls inside your rings. I have two in mine. It won't stop you from putting them on, but it does keep them from twisting so much. Especially the rings with stones, as they are heavier and just fall over. I found it to work for me.

Maria: glad you like the Greek Wedding. It has done so well, They have called it the seasons sleeper, because no one expected it to do so well. It has been held over in many places and is still in the top four films out right now. Your separates in Indian silk sound like a nice idea, and also comfortable. Good luck with the drapes.
Hope the concert is all you expect. Those seats must be cloes to the front.
Tomorrow is weigh-in for me and I hope my changing my habits some will show up on the scale. I feel like there are some changes, but it will be the moment of truth.
Have a great weekend all.
Hurrah the snipers have been apprehended!! I wouldn't want to be the lawyer who has to defend them.
'See you later' Ann
Old 10-25-2002, 10:58 AM   #5  

Ann , Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:01 AM   #6  
Life Time 2001

MAria: What I wouldnt give to see Paul McCartney. I agree the tickets are expensive, but you will enjoy Im sure! They are about the same price here.
Enjoy! Hope your DH survives this layoff. I still havemt had to call the people at Lucent. Maybe I should just get snoppy and call Im gonna keep my fingers crossed for you. Your ideas for DS wedding sound wonderful!

Karen: I hear you on the getting old. Could they maybe postpone it for 2 years???? I would go for it in a minute. Funny you mention the reps not showing. I had a call from a girl I sub for and she didnt want to go. The meeting was at 5:30 and she called me at 4:00. I told her NO as I wasnt prepared with clothes. But I went anyway just to make sure she showed. And she did.

I want to see Greek Wedding!!!!!!!!! DH wont go ALAS:.........
Old 10-26-2002, 04:14 PM   #7  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
I phoned my grandson a couple of days ago to see what he would like for his birthday dinner (tomorrow) and he told me he had very bad news. I asked him what it was and he told me that some kid at school stole his Yu-Gi-Oh cards out of his backpack. For you gals who don’t have any idea what they are…..It’s sort of like when we were young and boys used collect baseball cards. These Yu-Gi-Oh cards cost $5.99 for a pack of 9 cards and you can buy them at 7-11 stores. My grandson had around 100 of them. The kids take them to school and play a game with them with their friends until the school bell goes. The children at his school hang their outer clothes and backpacks on hooks OUTSIDE of their classrooms, and someone came along and helped themselves to his cards. They are not allowed to take things like that into their classrooms. He even had them sort of wrapped up in his hat and tucked into the backpack, but as LILY would say, ALAS they were stolen anyway. So now we have children stealing from children. The poor little guy is having trouble hanging onto his possessions.
Maria I think silk pants with a shell and jacket would look just lovely. You could wear it many times after, to dinner, or to another wedding. Is the silk you have patterned? I was thinking if it was, and you had enough for the pants and jacket the shell could be in a plain silk.
Hmmmm, I sure would like an outfit like that. My nephew is getting married next year, I'll have to think about that.
Lily and everybody, I saw "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" last Tuesday night and I don't remember when I enjoyed a movie more. It was just excellent. You must see it Lily, it is so funny. You know your DH just might enjoy it too.
Karen I get junk mail too, but fortunately not as much as you do. I don't ever open anything any more unless I know who it is from. A friend sent me the Klez virus, and every time I opened my mail, my Norton Antivirus was informing me that I had the Klez virus. She finally got her computer cleaned up so all is well.
I have a busy day tomorrow. I have a baby shower to go to with my dil and granddaughter at 2:00 and then at 4:30 I have my grandson's birthday dinner. I also received an invitation to a friend's 60th birthday party which is at 4:00 tomorrow. I think I will stop at her place before the shower to wish her a Happy Birthday and give her, her birthday gift.
Maria It took a long time to get finished with the dental implants, but I sure am happy that I had it done. The root canals that I had before lasted for about 30 years so even that was a good investment.

Last edited by slavika; 10-26-2002 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2002, 07:57 PM   #8  

G'day all,

Beautiful Sunday morning and the start of daylight saving I was up early and sprayed all the weeds, particularly those that come up throught he pavers on the drive Of course ds never did any weeding, poisoning or cutting back of ANYTHING! My friend who still mows the lawn did a little, I really only expected him to mow the lawn.
This afternoon we want to go and look at some trellis that I would like to have outside the window of our computer room. It will be nice to have something creeping over it.
Gradually things are getting back the way I would like it.

Slavika your poor grandson, he cannot seem to take a trick at the moment I have never heard of the cards but I am sure they are fantastic to have

Ann thanks for the tip, I have a similar problem with the knuckles and I have started to wear one ring on the other hand. I hate to say it but even for the price of the tickets (Paul McCartney's concert) we are not that much towards the front. At that price I expect to sit on the stage
Lily don't worry about your dh, go by yourself to see the Greek wedding that is what I did and thoroughly enjoyed it. DH has to have a bit of violence, some obscure plot and lots of action!!!! All the things that I don't enjoy in a movie so it is best to go on our own. I go to very few movies and went to this one because of all the recommendations.

The wedding outfit.....well I made toile yesterday with some calico for the fit etc. and it did not look good, some alterations need to made. There is so much I want to do and I really don't know where to start. DH told me to make a list and work my way through the list Because we have only been home such a short time, we have lots of friends popping in for '5 minutes', it is lovely to see everyone but I am not getting anything done fast.

The curtains are hanging in ds's house and they look great but it took until 3 in the afternoon and that is when I then made my toile, I just have to start taking my time.

DH is ready to go to the plant nursery, so I had better go
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 10-26-2002 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:08 AM   #9  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: Oh how sad. Poor little guy. Cant believe they start that young at stealing from others. Still waiting to see The greek wedding. Did see Monster INC. tonight. Laughed so hard and then cried at the end. To cute! A must see. Its a renter. Glad you didnt get the Virus. Not good to open anything anymore, even if you know them. ALas, sad but true.

Maria: I think my DH would enjoy the Greek Wedding. Its not the movie just getting him to it. Hes not much for theaters. But put a surroud sound in my house is a whole different story Maybe I will make a girl weekend next week. I do hate waitng until it comes on video.
You will figure out our dress. Sure its hard being back home where all your friends are. But you need to make time for them as you never know where you are off to next So enjoy the time you have with them!
Old 10-27-2002, 02:02 AM   #10  

Slavika, sorry to hear about your GS and his cards. What a thing to have happen so soon on the heals of have his house broke into.

Maria I think your wedding suit sounds like a great idea. We just went off daylight saving .

Haven't had a chance to see the greek movie yet but do plan on it as soon as I know it is in town. All of you have talked so much about it there is no way I'm going to miss it.

Went to Weight Watcheres big 40th anniversary bash today. What a good time we had. The chef of the hotel really went all out for us. His wife is a Weight Watchers member and when he told her we were going to be there she gave him all her cookbooks and he created a wonderful meal for us. A salad with a dressing he created. followed by a marinated chicken breast with a fruit salsa that was to die for. And my favorite mashed ,potatoes and roasted vegetables. Rolls with flavored butter. And for dessert angle food cake with berries and whipped topping. The whole dinner was 14 points and worth every one of them. My receptionist from one of my groups and I won a award for member retention. She also got reconized for her 5 years of working also she is a mentor for receptionist training and received a special charm for her bracelet I was honored with for the second time best over performance as a leader. We all got new charms for our bracelets a 40 years of W.W , A computer mouse charm for Weight Watchers .com I got one for all the ordering I do for all my meetings. The we all got the new logo pin that I just love. (there is blue in it) All in all a really go day.

Now for some reason I can't sleep. Was sleeping real good then woke up and here I set. Just drank some sleepytime tea. I expect it to kick in in a few minutes. So am going to get off this thing. Have a great rest of the week end girls.

Karen
Old 10-27-2002, 09:22 PM   #11  

G'day all,

Well things are changing yet again, does it ever stop!
We had a great weekend cruising in our dream machine Unfortunately on our way home a young boy on his bike had been hit by a car. It had only just happened and the sickening thing was to see his helmet embedded in the broken windscreen of the car. He was sitting up and people were attending to him, I think the helmet may have saved him. It certainly showed the value of wearing a helmet.

This morning dh got an email to go to India for 3 months!!! He has emailed back and wants to know the employment conditions (it is a different job then the 12 month stint we were supposed to do). If it had not been for ds's wedding 3 months would have been just nice to see a bit of India etc. We are now sort of thinking that dh goes for 6 weeks, back for the wedding and then we go together. Who knows if they will agree to that.
The other thing is that Paul McCartney has postponed his one and only Australian concert, supposedly out of respect for the victims of the terrorist bombing in Bali. I am not overly fussed as I thought the tickets were far too expensive and as it now turns out dh would have probably been in India at the time of the concert. We/I will still go to Melbourne to see our dd and her dh. She has had some great results in her end of year exams, I told her I would like to take her shopping for a new dress for her to wear to the wedding, I much rather do that then see Paul McCartney.
And I have also received a reply for a job I applied. They want me to come for an interview, not much point doing that now.
I am so pleased I went to the dentist as soon as I came home, my teeth will be all fixed over the next 2 weeks.

This morning I cleaned out the garage, re-organised everything and used one of those 'blower things) to blow all the dust out. For a garage, it now looks a treat!
Karen your WW bash sounded like it was a lot of fun, congratulations on receiving the reward, well done.

Lily perhaps we should swap dh's, I am with him, I much rather watch a DVD or video in my own home with surround sound etc. then go to the movies with people talking, crunching on potato chips, slurping their drinks etc. etc., I know I am a bit pathetic but that sort of thing really irritates me and I ALWAYS seem to have someone close by doing any or all of the above. When I went to see the Greek wedding movie, I moved 3 times!!!

I best be off, it is a lovely warm day and I thought of going for a bit of walk to the beach.

Cheers
Maria
Old 10-28-2002, 03:39 AM   #12  

Default Hello all.

Since returning all has seemed to be happening to us, we have been to a 50th Birthday party, a 40th Wedding Anniversary and I am not quite sure which way is up. I have read all the posts and at long last I am up to date.

Maria weren't you lucky that you were a few minutes later than the car that hit the young lad. Have you heard how he is? You seem to be up in the air about your trip to India, but still, your DH must wonder what is going on. Oh well I suppose that all will come good eventually. Your trip to Melbourne sounds great, have you decided where you are going to buy the dress for you DD? They still seem pretty sure that the McCartney show has been cancelled due to the Bali incident, but I am not to sure of this.

Karen The WW bash sounds as if it was fun. Congratulations also on your award It does not seem as if they have been around out here for that long, but that can be very deceptive. The Greek Wedding has started in Melbourne and from what all you gals say I wouldn't miss it.

Slavika, Ann, Lily, Painter, Trudy and all whose names I have forgotten. HELLO.

Take care all,

Love & Hugs,

Jenye.

Last edited by Ashe; 10-28-2002 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:24 AM   #13  

Slavika your poor grandson. He has had his share of misery. Sad to have things taken out of your back pack. I am guessing that these cards are the newest thing since Pokemon. Hope that they are returned to him. Maria things sure do change for you. Hope that it all gets worked out so you know what is really going to happen. Karen congratulations on your awards. You must be a super leader. We already figured that out. Had a stomach bug over the weekend and have to go out today to get stuffing and assorted other things. Saw some wedding pictures of my niece's wedding that we didn't get to go to in Florida a few weeks ago. Laughing because she wore gym shoes with a big flower on them under her dress. She is an arty type and did her own thing. At least she was comfortable. See you all later,
Old 10-28-2002, 11:21 AM   #14  
Life Time 2001

Karen: Sounds like your food at Innovations was better than ours. I dont think ours was to WW friendly. Was some Pasta with chicken and a creamy sauce, Could be wrong tho.
Congrats on the award you got! Thats great and well deserved!

Maria: That accident sounded horrible. Glad he was ok. India? At least its not for the year your thought. Sorry to hear about the concert.
I like watching movies at home more than going to the Theater. It is so much better for the reason you described. Sometimes I just dont want to wait for the Video. And The Star Wars movies are always better in the theather. Didnt make the last one and thats the only time DH will go!

Jenye: Sounds like you have been busy. Lots of partys! They are always fun.

Peggy: Sorry your sick, hope you get better soon! Im with your niece and the gym shoes. My feet always hurt wearing heels and I hate to wear them! I shouldnt wore tennies at mine!

Later!
Old 10-28-2002, 05:15 PM   #15  
Fun Blonde

Where to start? Everyone is so busy and so full of activities.

Karen - what a bash you had at your WW thing! You just walked off with everything. It is so nice to get noticed for the great job you are doing.

Maria - does your head just spin, thinking about all the possibilities in your life? I know it will all work out, but wow! Keeps your on your toes! You sound as if you are sooooo busy! But enjoy it! I hope you enjoy all the company too. They just love you.

Slavika - so sorry for your grandson! I know from my own grandsons how important this kind of stuff is. He is certainly learning about being careful with his belongings. Just such a shame!

Well, I am going through a blue funk! We have had for 8 straight days! I could not live in Seattle! How do people survive the clouds and dreariness?

I had a pretty much eat-everything-you-want Saturday. I had to "test" the trick-or-treat candy I had bought for Halloween. That always adds to a blue funk, doesn't it?

We had a young man in Sallisaw, OK go on a spree and shot 10 people Saturday and killed two of them. All because one man had yelled at him that he was driving too fast. What is going on?

Lily - go see the Greek Wedding. I even heard that it could be put up for Best Picture this year. Wouldn't that be something?
Glenda
Closed Thread