Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 08:23 AM   #1  
Self-Proclaimed WWDiva

Default Columbus Day Monday

OK ... you know why the boards were so quiet last week? It's because I was on my 3Day Walk for Breast Cancer! Hahahahaha! I haven't been here to reply to every little post.

I've missed you guys! This walk is OVER and I am totally ready to be OP.

Here's the scoop on my walk:

Firstly, $9 million net (from the NY walk alone) was raised to go to breast cancer research & educational resources. Amazing!

Secondly, we walked 15.5 miles in all day, cold October rain on Friday to find out that the rest of the event was canceled.
A lot of disappointment, tears & anger among the 5600 walkers (mostly women - imagine that scene). We trained hard for this event, and were prepared to go on in any kind of weather & circumstances to walk for this cause.

5600 people were relocated in "crisis mode" to Rockland County Community College. I must say that the event co-ordinator did a wonderful job in keeping people calm, and moving us. Co-ordination of the event otherwise was NOT so hot. The route was UGLY and unsafe. Information should have been relayed to us about cancellation earlier, instead of "leading" us on. And then there's the case of "who declared the event canceled". Palotta (the event organizers) said that Rockland County Dept of Health canceled the the event because the health conditions were unsafe, and RC Dept of Health say they ADVISED the event to be cancelled but were ready to issue the permits for the remaining days.

Anyhow - people started to get hypothermia and a reported 25 people went to the local hospital for treatment.

I was supposed to have this "life changing" experience and I did. This left a bad taste in my mouth.

But I said I would walk 60 miles and I will. I walked the 15.5 miles on Friday, and I walked 10 miles on my own on Sunday. I will continue to walk until I reach my 60.

OK so my walk isn't "REALLY" over ... by my choice.

I've got so much to catch up on w/ you girls. I started reading through the "quirks" posts. Cute.

I'm off to get Jeremy ready. I do have to go into work to get payroll done.

Talk to you later!
Old 10-14-2002, 09:45 AM   #2  
Running Babe

Morning,

Wow it was Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend and I stayed within points ALL weekend... Then again my stomach hurt sooo much that I could barely digest any food so it kept the calories down and all I ate was oatmeal for thanksgiving dinner. BUT I ate way too much at my business trip so it evens out!

Have a good day everyone!

Ali
Old 10-14-2002, 09:46 AM   #3  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Talking Deb, No Matter What, You're Our Walking Champ!!!

And I'm very proud of you. It wasn't just the event itself. It was your commitment, the training, the hard work, and the sacrificing you did to make it happen. I'd say that the event, although it was supposed to be the high point and the culmination, was only a small part of the whole picture, and you finished the whole picture before that even began. So all that's left for you is it put your signature on the whole thing, over the next few days, with your walking.

Good morning to everyone else...hope we all had happy and productive weekends. Hubby and I spent the weekend doing fall cleaning...getting into those corners that are so rarely gotten into and scrubbing them clean. We also organized up the wazoo. It felt really good yesterday, to relax in a clean house, and while it usually isn't totally dirty or messy, I just had the peace of mind that comes with knowing that all of the closets were organized, the basement, attic, and garage were scrubbed and shining, and I slept better than I have in a long time.

Looking forward to reading everyone else's posts!!!
Old 10-14-2002, 09:49 AM   #4  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Ali, we were posting at the same time...I bet that an oatmeal Thanksgiving supper really does keep one on track pointswise. Sorry your tummy was hurting, I hope it's all better now! Is the traditional Thanksgiving Dinner in Canada the same gutbuster of Turkey, stuffing, cranberries, sweet potatoes, ten other assorted sides, and pumpkin pie that it is in the US? Or isn't there a traditional meal...is it more about the day than the food? (which I wish it was here!)
Old 10-14-2002, 10:09 AM   #5  

Hi Girls,

I am here, but have had a cold/allergies since last Thursday, I think it is getting worse. I had WI on Friday morning, and stayed the same, but the up note is that I really didn't feel like eating anything this weekend, so it was pretty OP. I don't know how long I will stick around today here at work, I may go home and get some sleep. Friday and Sat night consisted of me watching TV til 3 a.m. cause my throat was so sore!

Anyway, enough pity party for me. I will check back in a bit, trying to organize my emails....
Old 10-14-2002, 10:11 AM   #6  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Default Good Morning!

Good morning, everyone!

I gotta start by responding to everyone, because I'm afraid my chattiness will wear off before I can get everything out!

Deb--I'm so sorry that your 3-Day was such a disappointment. If it makes you feel any better, I was a volunteer for the Race for the Cure this weekend and it was a big fat disappointment, too. I think it's awesome that you're still going to walk your 60 miles, that really says a lot about your character and adds another to the list of 15,000,000 things to admire about you.

Ali--Way to stay OP during the holiday. I sure hope I can do the same in November when our Thanksgiving rolls around. Sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well over the holiday, are you back to 100% now?

Jayne--Sounds like you had a busy weekend! Don't you just love knowing that there's nothing in your house that's messy? The feeling you get when you think to yourself, "Hey, I don't have a single thing that needs to be cleaned" is one of the best in life.

So, my weekend was pretty busy. Mom got out of the hospital on Friday around 4:30 p.m., I had to work at my second job until 8, then I went over to her house and helped her get stuff ready for her craft show on Saturday. Saturday, I was at the craft show at 7 a.m., ready to help her set up. I stayed at the craft show most of the day, helped clean up after, made dinner for the family (since Mom was tired and probably shouldn't have done all she did so soon after getting out of the hospital), and managed to get to bed early. I had to be in Omaha at 5 a.m. to help set up for Race for the Cure (more on that later), got home from that around 7, slept until 11, and didn't do much else until dinnertime.

It was my dad's birthday yesterday and he's been wanting pizza lately. So, my sister went and got it and we surprised him with it. It wasn't really what I needed, but I had a piece anyway. Happily, I did manage to say no to a second piece.

So, Race for the Cure setup... I got there a little bit early, was assigned to do course setup for this guy, John. So, I wander to the intersection where I'm supposed to meet him and the rest of my crew. Well, there's this guy with a stocking cap sitting in his truck and nothing else going on. I stand there and wait and finally this minivan pulls up and two guys climb out. One of them is covered in all this hair--long hair, facial hair, you know the kind. The other is this funny-looking little creature in a stocking cap and sweats who approaches me and says to me "Are you waiting for a ride?" Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe he was insinuating that he thought I was a prostitute! I gave him the benefit of the doubt, told him who I was, who I was looking for and it turns out that he was John. Well, let me just put it this way--John was a sexist a-hole who is apparently under the misillusion that women are incompetent. He virtually ignored me, didn't ask me to do a single thing, and then when 5 other girls showed up, sent us all to find something else to do while he and the 3 other guys on the crew went and did course setup. I was furious. There were way too many volunteers, there was nothing for many of us to do, I had driven almost 45 minutes to get there, and was just p.o.'d. I left at 6:30, thinking "F this" and went home and back to bed. I don't believe I'll be helping with that again next year. Then again, I did get a primo parking spot because I got there so early, which might be motivation to do it again next year when I race.

So, that was my weekend...

I think I've probably yammered on enough. I gotta get my walking shoes on and go meet the girls for my walk.

I'll be back later!
Old 10-14-2002, 11:57 AM   #7  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

Hey all. I have a back ache today from moving things. My PG body ain't what it used to be.... We still have the heavy things to move to the basement, but my dad is coming over sometime this week. I can't wait until it is done.

Oh and this weekend we de-Nuk-ed Emma. No more pacifier. She only got it when she was sleeping, but since she turns 2 at the end of the month, we decided enough was enough. And I hated remembering that little plastic addiction! So it's gone. And she was not happy, but we survived the weekend!!

Oh and it was miserable cold this weekend and is supposed to get colder this week with chances of snow. YUK!!! Too soon for this!

Deb/Jess.... so sorry you were both disappointed, but you should be commended for putting your time in for these causes! HERE HERE!!!

Jayne... Please oh please come clean my house. Everything is so dirty. I hate all the white dust from the construction. And it keeps reappearing. Oh and we found a jacket and snowpants for Emma. Thanks for the info! Now we need boots!

My morning was all meetings. At noon I have to go to a ribbon cutting, then more blah blah blah!!

Oh tomorrow night I am taking a basket weaving class. I am excited because I always wanted to try that. It is a 2 night class, this week and next week.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:54 PM   #8  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Oh my goodness, it's SO quiet today... Where in the heck is everyone? Maybe they got lucky and have the holiday off. I am SO jealous because I'm absolutely bored to tears here at work.

Yikes, Jen! Snow? I've been telling people that Nebraska will have snow before Halloween and I think I may be right. My mom said gas bills are supposed to be high again this year, not looking forward to that, especially since I have 40 lbs less insulation than previous years! I am looking forward to a good, hard freeze, though because my allergies and sinuses have been making me just miserable.

Well, that's about all I know right now. I think I'm going to go write in my journal and hope something good happens soon.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:56 PM   #9  
Duchess Tiger Lily

I have off of work, but I'm here. I'd like to be bored...been busy doing house stuff, like collecting laundry and changing sheet. Easy, mindless, boring... Southern MN is supposed to get snow on Wednesday. I'm kind of looking forward to it. I thrive on change, and I'm sick of summer, so I'm ready for colder weather. Besides, I have so many new "thinner" winter clothes to wear that are too hot when it's sixty outside. I too suffer with the allergies, and am looking for a hard frost.

Jess, don't worry about having less insulation. All the exercise you've been doing has sped up your metabolism enough that you will just automatically feel warmer this winter. No idea if this is complete crap or not, but it sounded nice and encouraging, didn't it?
Old 10-14-2002, 03:57 PM   #10  
Duchess Tiger Lily

BTW, anyone know anything about Lisa? It's been awhile since she's been around and she's such a loyal poster. I hope that job layoffs haven't started at her company again.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:19 PM   #11  
Cockeyed Optimist

No time to respond individually - work is wicked busy today. Just thought I'd let you all know that I am alive and well.

Does anyone have Lisa's e-mail addy? She hasn't responded to a PM and I don't recall her saying anything about another vacation or a business trip.

Must go...the boss is calling my name again. I swear the guy is PMSing this week.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:04 PM   #12  
Self-Proclaimed WWDiva

Thank you all so, so, so, so very much for your kind words. Day by day I'm slowly getting over my disappointment.

Jess - Sorry to hear your Race for a Cure was a bummer, too. How is your mom feeling? Sounds like you had a CRAZY weekend. You're entitled to ramble about it. If we don't listen, who will?

Jayne - Thank you for your inspiration. Glad to hear that you had a BLAST at the wedding. I too think that this is going to be a cold winter. We're due for one.

Jen - Emma's been de-binkied! Oh no! Hahahaha! Jeremy had a binky to sleep with until he was 2 1/2. It was hard for him to give it up even after that. Good to hear that the home updates are almost done.

Hello to everyone else.

Ali - So sorry you were sick for your holiday. Phooey! You can come have Thanksgiving with us to make up for it if it makes you feel any better ...

I've got to get shopping soon for a Halloween costume for Jeremy. He wants to be G I Joe. Of course now that I'm looking for kids size fatigues I can't find any. Grrr ...

I've made dinner & now I've got to put it together. Tommorrow I'm making that potato scallop crockpot recipe. Sounds yummy!

Talk to you tomorrow girls!
Old 10-14-2002, 09:43 PM   #13  
Running Babe

Howdy,

Jayne: Yup, we get the Turkey and the works with cranberry sauce, wine, pumpkin and apple pie. The works basically.. The reason we have thanksgiving earlier is technically the harvests in Canada are earlier.

Jen: I hope your back feels better, I hope Emma will forget about her souse asap.

Deb: Actually I'll be in Massacheussets for part of thanksgiving weekend, reminds me, gotta book my accomendations now

Jess: I know what you mean about less insulation. The winter I was losing weight was ****, it was cold and I was freezing ALL the time. I still get cold easily.

Tonya: I am sorry you weren't feeling well. My throat is usually my weak point, but this time it was my stomach so I complained all weekend and had my own pity party too!

Oh it's cool, my parents adopted a black lab mix from the SPCA, he's sooo sweet!

Anyhoo have a good evening!

Ali

Last edited by Sweater Girl; 10-14-2002 at 09:49 PM.
Closed Thread