View Poll Results: Do you do your monthly self breast exams?
Yes, religiously. 2 15.38%
Sometimes. 9 69.23%
No. 2 15.38%
What's a Self Breast Exam? 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 08:52 AM   #1  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Talking Tuesday--Breasts

For Tuesday's Thread I wanted to post a poll about Breast Self Exams because I feel that they're crucial in aiding with breast cancer detection.

I could have posted a poll to see how many of us have been affected in one way or another, but I'd be willing to guess that nearly all of us have been affected.

It's a particularly special subject to me because my mom had breast cancer when I was 14. She found the lump by doing her self breast exam. She had to go to a few different doctors before finding one who would biopsy it--the rest said it was harmless and not to worry about it. It turned out to be cancerous. Needless to say, life hasn't been the same for us since.

I feel that doing your monthly breast exams is SO important because, with breast cancer, early detection is your best aid in survival.

I know it's not related to weight loss, but it is something that we could all be potentially affected by.

Stepping off my soapbox...

Last edited by JessIsOK; 08-06-2002 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:56 AM   #2  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Morning Jess
hope all is well on the erm boob front
i had a lump in my breast a few years ago that was a fybroadenoma (benign) so every other month I check
my mom has a lump but wont go to the doc so i made her an appt and plan to drag her there kickign and screaming
bbiab
Old 08-06-2002, 09:13 AM   #3  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Great poll Jess... it's something we need to be reminded of. I put no... although I should put sometimes... but I'd say only twice a year (in addition to my gyn appointments).

Morning KO. Good to see you're dragging your mom to the doctor. She must get that checked out... I hope that it is nothing serious.

I weigh in this morning.... I"m feeling good about it. I'm sure I'll get the 2 pounds from last week off (I think they were water from my period) and I hope to get off a couple more? Maybe? I feel lighter. Also, most of my clothes are 8's and 10's... but now, all of my 10's are big on me. Most of my 8's fit perfectly.... but one pair of my 8's are getting too big on me!!!!! It's so hard to believe. Too bad I don't have the body of most people who are a size 8.... I'm still so flabby....UGH!

Lisa
Old 08-06-2002, 09:27 AM   #4  

Thanks for the reminder, Jess. I am ashamed to say that I am a doctor and i don't always do my breast exam!! Did you guys know that the majority of lumps are found by significant others??? they are doing the 'breast exams' most often!

I did well yesterday-stayed OP, drank my water, journalled and went to the gym. i am trying for a repeat today-let's see how many days I can string together in a row.

OK-mut get to paperwork-will check in later-Lisa, good luck at WI! Light as a feather......

Hi to Jess and KO-where is everyone else????

Jen-L-went to your website yesterday-Emma is so cute!!!!!
lori
Old 08-06-2002, 09:28 AM   #5  
Cockeyed Optimist

I confess - I'm not religious about it - I usually do it every other month. You'd think I'd be more serious about it, my Mom has found a couple lumps in the last 2 years (all benign) and my aunt died of ovarian cancer. Not that a SBE can detect ovarian cancer of course but after seeing how cancer destroys people you'd think I'd do everything in my power to prevent any version in myself.

Was fairly OP yesterday. I went a few points over but everything I ate was healthy, I journaled (which I haven't done in probably 2 months), drank all my water and worked out. So feeling pretty good about that. Started today ought right with a great workout and lots of water. Am concerned though because my boss wants me to take some people for Mexican and the restaurant they chose is really greasy - nothing decent like chicken fajitas.

Good topic Jess - thanks for bringing it up. How is your mom?

Kier - odd isn't it when we have to parent our parents. Good for you for getting her to the doctor.

Lisa - Good luck at WI. Let us know how much you lost. I find it hard to believe that you are flabby - you work-out so much - are you sure that it isn't just your perception of yourself and not the rest of the world's?

Time to get to work.

Later, Laura
Old 08-06-2002, 09:42 AM   #6  
Duchess Tiger Lily

You know, I had 2 grandmothers with breast cancer and a mom who has precancerous stuff always showing up on her paps and mammograms, so I should be more than a sometimes checker, shouldn't I? This is a good wakeup call for me, Jess...thank you! I need to pay more attention to my ta-tas!

Kier, good for you, dragging mom in...she needs to go!

Lisa, I wonder if that body thing could just be a perception on your part...a size 8 is a size 8, and we are our own worst critics...do you think you could still be seeing yourself as you were, not as you are? Also , keep in mind with a significant weight loss like yours, you're bound to have loose skin, not flab. I just want you to be happy with yourself, hon, I don't mean to nag.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!
Old 08-06-2002, 09:44 AM   #7  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Hi Laura and Lori...I was posting when you were. Great work, both of you, on staying OP. It seems like one good day brings another for me...keep it up!
Old 08-06-2002, 09:54 AM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

hey I'm back!
started out OP yesterday *note my impressive journal entry ofcourse that allll went to **** in a handbasket well not entirely
i had my yogurt and fiber1
for lunch i had a slice of cold pizza while making my gram a sandwich before i went out the door
and a cheeseburger my sis did on the grill for dinner ARG
My sis went to try on wedding dresses last night
now nothings official
no ring or anything
but dammit and i can't tell anyone but you guys this
I'm jealous
shes lost at least 40 since the surgery she was a 20w now shes a 14 w and she's trying on wedding dresses I feel like the fat little sister again no bf and a whole lot of cellulite ( ok i know i'm lovely and that i dont need a bf but COME ON!) I need something good to happen! GRRR ARG thanks for listening to me rant
on the pos side i do this one machine at the gym thats slenderizing my back its an upper cycle
like a bike for your arms
and my back and shoulders are starting to look v. goood
Lori you Rock doc you are going to kick OP arse today too
Laura _ morning i'm in the same boat brought a nice OP lunch and was told we were taking the boss out for thai ARG!
Yesterday I hit the gym and did an hour and 20 min of cardio stepper upper cycle and a 20 min walk on the treadmill
today i'm going to journal as i go and be very careful with staying OP
come out and play
Old 08-06-2002, 09:54 AM   #9  

Good morning ladies!

Great poll Jess! I too, am an occasional checker, but I get "routinely" checked by my DH. He enjoys doing my self exams for me. Kill two birds with one stone, I guess...I get my exam done and he enjoys it....I just don't know if the self exam needs to be a "daily" thing....

I finished the day OP yesterday, it felt soooo good. Why does one screw up?!?! I am on track for today, and I am going to buy a new exercise video at noon. I usually walk on my treadmill at night, but I need something else to change it up a bit. I was thinking about buying "The Firm" video. Anyone have any feedback about that one, or suggestions for another? I want something that will provide a good workout, get me sweating, but doesn't have dance moves in it. I am in pretty good shape, but am not very coordinated!! My main areas of concentration are abs, butt and thighs. So, bring on the suggestions!!

Jen ~ I saw your post from last night re: the corn. I actually cut it off the cob then freeze it with a little sugar, water and salt. I am so tired of shucking corn I could puke.....

Laura ~ Good luck at the mexican restaurant. Mexican is a huge downfall for me....hang in there and choose something light!

Lisa ~ A size 8! WOW! That is awesome! I am in 10's right now, but hope to be back down to an 8 soon. 8 sounds so much better than 10!!

Jayne ~ Yep, I am a cheesehead. Have lived here all my life. I love Wisconsin, just wish the winters were warmer and the summers not sooo humid. Oh well....we have beer and brats...what more could a person ask for!!

Hi Kier! Did I tell you what a good daughter you are? Way to look out for your mom. (I would do the same!)

Hi Lori!!

Well, better get back to work...BBIAB (Be back in a bit!)
Old 08-06-2002, 09:55 AM   #10  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Hi Lori! I was beginning to wonder where you were! I've missed you. That's awesome you're so motivated. It's so hard staying OP sometimes... I need to start journaling. Since I WI today and it's a new WW week... I think today's the day to start.

Jayne and Laura - you're both very sweet to suggest it is my own perception of myself. My thighs and under my arms are very flabby even though I weight train regularly... I think a lot of it is the whole loose skin thing... but I've seen before and after pictures and I know I can tone them... I'm trying. I guess it just takes time and I'm becomming impatient. I probably need to up the weights at the gym... I get lazy and lift the same weights for months before I go up... that's what I'll do!

I can't wait to WI so I can put last week's gain behind me!

Lisa
Old 08-06-2002, 10:00 AM   #11  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

Hey all.... I was a single mom last night with a crabby almost 2 year old. There is just no reasoning with a child that has learned to say a stearn NO! Oh well... After an hour of it, I gave in and we were both happy. She was sooo tired that she made a bed of pillows on the floor and layed on it. So I scooted her off to bed. She was sooo cute! She always gives the dog a hug and kiss before she goes to bed. The dog is a big golden retriever!!

Then I did some gardening and when hubby came home from flying his r/c plane, found out he crashed it and totaled the wing. He thought it wouldn't be that much to replace and found out this morning it is. Ughhhh. Oh well, it's his hobby! Then I asked him to stir my compost bin (p.u.) and there was a hornets nest in it and he got stung twice. So I had a crabby hubby too!!!

Then we sat down and watched Meet the Folks on TV.... too funny to see how pathetic people can be just to get a date. It seemed kind of rigged tho.

I don't do my exams as often as I should. My mom has had cancer twice, grandma and uncle died of it... I am a nervous wreck when it comes to cancer. Had abnormal paps the year before I was married and ended up having laser treatment on it. That was my scare!!
Old 08-06-2002, 10:32 AM   #12  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Tonya -Hi we were posting at the same time! Hello! Awesome yuo're OP... this must be a good week for everyone. Hey - a daily checkup is great! And enjoyable I'm sure. He he!!!!!

Jen - I've seen that show a few times.... hilarious. I went to your website. Emma is beautiful!!! How cute.

So .... I'm getting pumped up. I'm doing this. I just called my gym and I signed up for an orientation for the free weights. I've been a mcahine girl for 4 years... and I've been told to really tone, free weights are the way to go... I've been too scared to try... but tonight's the night.

Lisa
Old 08-06-2002, 10:39 AM   #13  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

Tonya.. Thanks for the corn info. When I said my corn didn't freeze well, it was when I froze the cob whole. When I cut it off the cob it tastes great. My in-laws grow sweet corn and on good years when the raccoons don't eat it all, we get lots. Last year the raccoons ate a lot of it so not much to freeze.

I have to do 2 interviews today that I just found out about this morning. I am not even dressed for it. Arggg... and just glanced at the resumes. One is in 20 minutes!
Old 08-06-2002, 11:06 AM   #14  
Cockeyed Optimist

Hi Lori - we must have been posting at the same time.

Tonya - I love The Firm Videos - some of the older (think 80's) cardio oriented ones are kind of dancy but mostly I can follow and I'm an absolute klutz. I especially like the new Cardio Sculpt and Body Sculpt.

Kier - a few years ago my sister (who had lost about 10lbs) came to visit me (I'd gained about 15lbs) to announce her engagement - on the same day I'd ended a long term relationship! I sympathize with you my dear.

Jen - you just made me glad to be single and childless. Sorry you had a rough evening and that the work day isn't getting any better.

Lisa - good for you. I think it is great that you're getting training on the free weights. I've had a couple sessions with a PT (my work provides in the company owned gym) and it was wonderful.

Hi to everyone I missed. Has anyone heard from JenK or Belle lately?

Laura
Old 08-06-2002, 11:41 AM   #15  

Default Help!!!

Does anyone know the points for fresh striped bass??? DH went fishing last week and we are grilling it tonight!!!
Closed Thread