Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 11:47 PM   #16  

Thumbs down new to the 50's

Hi everyone
I am new to this site. My name is stennie and I need to lose 45 lbs. I am on ww and can't seen to stay motivated. I have only lose 9 lbs since January but that's ok I am not goinh to give up. I need all of you all support becaue I am not going to give up until I meet my goal. I will post/read this site daily. Also I live in the south (Louisiana) so to me all the food is good until tomorrow
stennie-9
Old 05-30-2002, 01:35 AM   #17  

Jan, I think you must be our "walking queen." Two miles -- at sunrise, no less! Good for you and DH, keep it up, and please keep cheering the rest of us on.

JOYce, knowing how much you love your Pepsi, I am very pleased and impressed with your swapping it out with good ol' h20. Good for you! You're on your way, friend. Our pasta/smoked ahi salad was fabulous; your DH certainly knows how to spice 'em up and smoke 'em.

My low-points day may be due to a sore throat I've had for the past 24 hours, that could certainly be it because I have almost no appetite. I only finished half of my pasta/ahi salad tonight and need to finish it plus eat two more points in order to reach my minimum for the day. Thanks for the reminder about eating up to at least that, Jan.
Old 05-30-2002, 01:41 AM   #18  

Default Welcome!

Stennie9, we must have been posting at the same time; I just read yours after having posted mine. Welcome to the 50 or more group, I think you will find that it is a group of friendly and encouraging ladies. Please post regularly and let us know how you are doing. I lost 35+ pounds on WW and gained lifetime status a year or so ago--so I know that it can be done. We have another lifetimer (but unlike myself, she is at goal), Jan, who is a great cheerleader and encourager for all of us. Again, welcome!
Old 05-30-2002, 07:50 AM   #19  

A good points day here too! It's amazing what a difference being able to do my own cooking and shop for what I want to eat can make! I'm also into water drinking again! [b]Jan/b[b], I too like your challenge!!
I have an interview today at 1 P.M. with the allergy practice I mentioned before I left MD. Wish me luck!
Talk to you all later.
Carol
Old 05-30-2002, 09:10 AM   #20  

Default Welcome Stennie!

Stennie, welcome to our group! So glad you joined us. And congrats on losing the 9 pounds, and especially on your resolve to stay on this journey all the way to goal. I'm sure you will make it! Re: Louisiana food, you are so right; it's all terrific, I agree! We used to go to Mulate's in Lafayette, and I'd have all kinds of fried seafood, remoulade, etouffee, etc. (That was when I was size 24.) But now I've developed a taste for gumbo, rice and beans, and boiled crawfish or grilled shrimp instead. (Did you know that Tony Chachere's Instant Roux mix has only 10 calories per teaspoon? If you make the gumbo recipe on the label, that's just one point per serving for the roux itself. If you add shrimp and crab instead of sausage, that's a really low point gumbo! We stock up on that mix every time we go to Louisiana.) Anyway, sorry to ramble! Tell us more about yourself! What day do you go to WW? Dh and I go on Saturdays, but we have to drive a pretty long way. He just joined a few months ago, and has lost about 20 pounds; I'm so thrilled for him. He has about 60 to go, but is now 46 down from his highest wt. And I'm trying to reach my personal goal, about 10-11 pounds less than the WW goal I'm at now.

Linda, I hope your sore throat is much better today! Way to go on the OP day yesterday! That ahi and pasta salad sounded terrific.

Carol, good luck with your interview this afternoon! (They will be thanking their lucky stars that you came along!) Way to go on the OP day; must be great to have your own kitchen and schedule now, and the local fruit stand, swimming pool, etc. This is the summer we do it, I can just feel it!

Guess I'd better get back to work; almost finished with this writing project. Then, maybe I can get back to planning our vacation and helping dh with the cooking!
Hi to JOYce, Texaslady (hope you are getting plenty of rest!) and to Janet (we miss you!)
Regards,
Jan
Old 05-30-2002, 05:52 PM   #21  

Stennie, I'm sorry I didn't welcome you to our group before! For some reason I didn't see your post! Congrats on your 9 pound loss, and your resolve to hang in there! Tell us a little about yourself. I am in my mid 50's, separated for 7 years and have a daughter, a son-in-law and 2 beautiful grandchildren ages 2-1/2 years(boy) and 2 months(girl). I just moved from Maryland where my dd and family live to Florida. We're glad to have you with us- it's been all too long since we've had a new "face" in our group!
Carol
P.S., folks- I GOT THE JOB- I start tomorrow!!
Old 05-30-2002, 06:07 PM   #22  
Inchworm

Smile CONGRATULATIONS CAROL!!!

I am so happy for you!
They obviously saw a good thing in you!!
*YOU GO GIRL!!!*

Welcome Stennie I'm a grandma in California, been yo-yo-ing with my weight. It is 'weigh' past time to get serious!
I have to be 'mother of the bride' in my granddaughers wedding in August, so really need to get busy! I have been sorting thru old photos today, I have been 'fat' for too long!

ttys
gotta scoot to pick up a dgd from conditioning class. Her soccer coach really works them! She is building muscles!

Hi to all....be back later!
Old 05-30-2002, 06:27 PM   #23  

Smile Congrats, Carol!

Wow, Carol, way to go! (Of course we all knew this would happen; no doctor in his/her right mind would let a prize like you slip away!) Is the office nearby? I remember all that driving (often through bad weather) that you had to do up north; won't it be great not to have to cope with that any more?! I am so happy for you!
Jan
Old 05-30-2002, 08:37 PM   #24  

Evening, girls!

Carol - Congratulations on the new job! I knew it wouldn't be long before someone snatched you up. Good thing you had a few days to yourself since you are starting tomorrow already! Your development sounds nice - I am so glad you are enjoying it. That would be amazing if your dd & sil could re-locate. Did dd even finish her Master's or did the new baby put everything on hold? Does sil do the kind of work which would allow an easy move? And DO NOT become chief baby-sitter - no matter how much you love those little ones! How about your hours on the new job? I hope they are reasonable and that you will have some extra time to enjoy your new place.

Jan - Glad you had your usual good time in Rockport. I can just see you and your dh in the kayack paddling away! Sounds like fun. School must be out for you guys now - I think the last districts around here got out today although many finished last week. Paris looms ever closer!

Linda, Carol & Joyce - I am so sorry to hear about the return of all the cards you girls sent me while in the hospital. I don't know why they didn't reach me while I was there (4-24 thru 5-1) - and I certainly don't know where they have been for the past month! I appreciate all your wonderful thoughts and prayers, though, - probably more than you realize.

I am feeling stronger these days. I started back to work last Tuesday - but only working 6 hours a day. I come home and take a nap & then go to bed early as well! I will go back full time next Monday - I am sure I will be dragging big time for a while. But staying home was driving me nuts. When you know the daytime TV schedule, you know you have been home too long!

Stennie-9 - Welcome to our group! It's been a long time since we have had a "new face". Please come back often and let us know how you are progressing. I am so glad to hear you say you are going to hand in there no matter how long it takes! That's certainly is one of the keys to success! You have probably figured out I live in Texas - as does Janet Mae. So we are not too far from you. Tell us a little more about yourself.

While in the hospital I lost about 10 pounds - but sitting at home for the following 5 weeks doing not much more than opening the refrigerator promptly put it all back on. Jan, thanks for the challenge. I am going to get myself to the store this week-end and stock up on healthy stuff and get myself back to counting points again.

Has anyone heard from Janet lately? I know that Carol sometimes talks to her either on the phone or by e-mail? What is she up to these days?

Will go for now. Everyone have a wonderful TGIF day - except for Carol - Guess it iwould be Monday for her! No big plans for the week-end here - how about you?
Old 05-30-2002, 10:08 PM   #25  

Texaslady, it is so good to see you "up and about" on the thread! I'm glad that you're starting out with a 6-hour day and that you are able to get some much-needed rest. I applaud your intention to stock up on healthful foods when you go to the store, good for you! Please continue to take care of yourself; it was so good to read your latest post.

Carol! that is wonderful that you got the job just like that! I imagine that helped to boost your spirits quite a bit, even if you weren't down in the dumps to begin with. I'm impressed, but honestly not surprised that they hired you right away. Blessings on your first day at work tomorrow! I'm so happy that you are now able to shop for exactly the foods you want and that will be good for you and assist you in following our Jan's challenge, what a good start for you.

I still am feeling sorta "blah" and haven't eaten much today, I think it'll be a struggle to eat up to my minimum by the time we go to bed tonight. Anybody got a chunk of lard I could lick for awhile? (Eew.)
Old 05-31-2002, 08:51 PM   #26  

Hi everyone! TGIF!! What's everyone got planned for the weekend? Exdh and I are going to run to a cute little town called Mt.Dora which I saw not nearly enough of when I was here in January, and I have a couple organizational projects that require lifting that he volunteered to assist me with. Other than that, nothing special- but every day seems special here.

The first day on the new job went well- I think I'm really going to like it. I worry about how tight money is going to be- I may be down to ice cubes and bread crumbs some months when the bills are all paid , but I'll worry about that later.

I got a call from dd this afternoon- little sweetie was having a fit- he wanted to go out to my former room to see me, and she couldn't make him understand that I no longer live there, that I am in Florida. She said he packed up all the stuff in his little doctor's kit and said he wanted to go see Grandma!! She finally called me and asked me to talk to him- he was having an absolute fitand she couldn't get him to calm down!! I could hear him in the background calling "Grandma-Grandma", which of course made me cry. She finally got him on the phone and I talked to him and told him I love him and I'll see him soon, and he gave me an "I wuv you" and a kiss, and then he said goodbye and seemed happy. Poor baby!!! I sure miss him- I'll be glad when they are closer again. At least I know he hasn't forgotten me!
Linda, I hope your throat is better! Be careful about those low point totals, like Jan said- you sure don't want your metabolism to slow down!
Joyce, good for you for increasing the water! I'm trying to do that too, now that I don't have to walk 6 miles to the bathroom anymor!
Jan, your walking is always such an inspiration to the rest of us! I like to walk in the early morning too (but not 2 miles yet!!)- much cooler, and quiet and beautiful. I'm a morning person for sure. My job is 45 minutes from here in Gainesville- it's an easy drive with no bridges or traffic lights. Rush hour here is a piece of cake compared to where I used to live! Unbelievable! No wonder people get shell-shocked when they move from an area like this to the D.C. metro area- it must scare them to death!
Texaslady, dd's master's degree has been put on the back burner since she first was pregnant with dgd. I don't know when she'll finish it if they move down here.
Stennie, how are things going with you?

Somebody asked about Janet- I did have an email from her the other day. Her home computer is broken down, and she's ben too busy at work to be able to post or even check the site regularly. She hopes it will be fixed over the weekend. All is okay with her.

Well, I'd better run. Have a good weekend, everyone!
Carol
Old 05-31-2002, 09:58 PM   #27  

Oh, Carol! That phone call from your little sweetie #1 must have almost torn your tender heart out of your chest. Poor little thing, indeed. Any idea when DD and the troops will be moving to Florida?

We went to a brewpub for a late lunch/early dinner today (I made sure I didn't have to make dinner tonight by asking DH if it counted as dinner) and I had a brew and two fish tacos and I am stuffed. Still not much of an appetite; I knew that I needed something solid to eat though, so I wouldn't get all shaky and faint-feeling. I feel like I could go til tomorrow without eating anything else. I may be feeling "blah," but this is a great way to cut down on my points.

Glad that you liked your first day at work, Carol. How nice it is to enjoy your job. "...ice cubes and bread crumbs..." I had to giggle over that. You'll make it just fine.

Texaslady, how are you today? Was this one of your stay at home days, I hope?
Old 06-01-2002, 04:02 PM   #28  

I'm going to start a new thread since we're on 2 pages- come on over to #98
Carol
Closed Thread