Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2001, 05:34 AM   #1  
Fit and Feisty

Hello to all of you. I know that I have not posted here in ahwile, but I do lurk here from time to time and am glad to see this thread continuing. I was hoping that you ladies could give me some advice. I have gotten quite down lately about my children leaving home. One has moved out, and the "baby" left for college. It has really hit me hard. I have tried to get active with other things, helping other people, getting my mind off myself. But I miss our "family life" so much.

I guess I jumped into having children with both feet after being childless for 10 years and just loved every minute of the whole experience. We took our children everywhere with us and did so many things together. Now that they are gone, I feel an emptiness I never thought possible and just wondered if any of you went through this, how long it lasts and what you did to overcome it.

Thanks for any and all comments.

Love,
carree
Old 02-23-2001, 06:30 PM   #2  

Hi Carrie,

I can relate to what you are saying though not so much when my children left home but at this stage of my life.
When my children started high school I went back to work and had quite a responsible job.
Twelve months ago I resigned to be able to travel with dh in his job. It sounds all great and I am seeing a lot but I do find it a little empty at times. I have to really make myself do small courses, such as travel writing, blanket embroidery, mess about on my computer etc. etc. Sometimes I get quite down but then get quite cross with myself because I am in an extremely fortunate position. I guess I miss the structure in my life and the fact that no-one really cares what I do all day.
When I am at home, I live close to a home for the mentally disabled, I have approached them to do some volunteer work but of course I can only do that when I am not away.
I am very close to my children and the internet is just wonderful for staying in touch.
I guess I haven't really helped other than you are not alone
Good luck
Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread