Old 01-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #16  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Oh Turtles,
You are the best! Lauren and Mare, thanks so much for your enthusiasm and I feel great!

Yeah, Lauren, as I am getting older I regret not having a really good girlfriend like I did in high school. I am so lucky because I have three sisters and they are wonderful girlfriends. My two dd's are also extremely good girlfriends, and my dh is my steadfast listener and best friend. However, lately I have had feelings and thoughts about family members and I think an outsider might have a different spin about the situations I encounter. I also think it would be fun to have a friend to run around with and do fun things when my dh is busy. Maybe that explains naming friendship as a resolution. Last year I was determined to go to a "ticketed" event at least once a month. Because I was determined, I did it and it was so beneficial. Some events were expensive--like the NYC ballet or Radio City Music Hall--but others were not at all expensive and still very enjoyable. There's lots out there to do and I'm trying hard to do it! LOL

Okay--I'm wordy this morning. Determination to reach goal and my short term goal is 1# down this week! Thanks again Turtles.
234.6/214/213 getting closer to 25#down!
Judy
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #17  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
This will be quick. I found and tried a new slow cooker recipe that I liked and depending on the size pork chops you use, it doesn't point out too badly.

Pork Chops with Red Cabbage:

4 servings 5min. prep time slow cook (3 1/2hours on high or 7hours on low)

1 small head red cabbage, core removed and shredded (about 8 cups)
2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/2c red wine vinegar
2T. brown sugar
2t. caraway seeds (I didn't have these, so I left them out)
1/2t. salt
1/2t. pepper
4 bone-in pork loin chops (2 pounds or less)
2T. cornstarch

1. Place cabbage and apples in cooker. Stir together vinegar, sugar, seeds and 1/4t. each of salt and pepper. Stir liquid into cabbage.
2. Place pork chops in slow cooker on top of the cdabbage and sprinkle with remaining 1/4t. pepper. Cover and cook indicated time.
3. Remove pork chops from slow cooker; keep warm. Using a ladle, remove 2T. liquid from slow cooker; place in a small bowl. Whisk cornstarch into liquid. Move cabbage askide in slow cooker and whisk cornstarch mixture back into the liquid in the slow cooker. Using tongs, toss thickened liquid with cabbage; stir in remaining 1/4t. salt. Spoon onto plates and top with pork.
per serving: 335 calories; 8 g.fat, 32g portein, 35g. carbohydrates,6 g.fiber.

I tried it and liked it a lot. The red cabbage seemed just the thing for a cold, wintry day and the pork was very tender.

Okay--I've gotta run and get some things done. Good luck to us all!
and and .
Judy
234.6/214/213 and onto new fat territory
Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #18  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Mare, I hear you on the DH thing. My DH wanted to join me on this program, too, and there is NO WAY that would work. First, he doesn't need to lose weight, and second, the portions are waaaaay too small for him. He'd starve, and then he'd certainly add lots more food. So the end result would be very, very expensive (instead of just very expensive!). Fortunately, once he saw the amounts I ate, he decided he'd pass after all.

Judy, nice recipe! I love how you always try new things. I'm so uncreative when it comes to cooking. And I hear you about the girlfriend thing. I had wonderful girlfriends right up to when I got married. I still have good girlfriends, but everybody is busy or lives far away, and I miss the companionship. I need to bump up this goal as well.

We're getting the beginnings of a winter storm here; they're expecting up to 8 inches in our area. Hopefully it won't get too bad before the drive home tonight. I'm thinking this would be a good weekend to hunker down inside with a good book!

I'm very bloated right now, thanks to hormones. Maybe "the change" will be more welcome than I'd thought!

Have a great day, Turtles.
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #19  
jeanne

Hi Ladies! I have been here for years but it seems that some forums start to fizzle out and then I lose my "energy"!!! I have lost 7# since 12/29 and I absolutely have to keep that going!!!!! Anyways........I was reading your posts and I love all the "energy" you girls have. So I thought I'd introduce myself and hopefully find a spot in your group!

My name is Jeanne, I'm 44 (today actually), I have 2 beautiful daughters 21 & 16 and a pretty handsome husband if I may say so myself! My life has been a struggle from childhood up, but hey........life is full of choices so once I got old enough and "smart" enough to make some wise ones - I did! I met my husband of 6 years at my old job where I was working 50 + hours a week in FAST FOOD! He swooped me off me achey feet and ha here I am now. Yea, about now.........life is good. BUT.......I work for a ..... ready for this.......a....CHOCOLATE COMPANY!!! AHHHHHHH! Yep, that's right. I love it. Imagine that! I only work 35 hours and the discount is great! My owner owns a Hallmark store too. So the two stores I manage are both set up like Hallmarks, but with less "Hallmark" trademarks! We are called Barkus Chocolates. Well, enough about me, I just thought it might make it easier if you knew a little bit about me!

We got 6" of snow last night! It's so beautiful out! I think later, after my coffee fix, I'm going to head out with the camera and the dog and get some pictures. It's suppose to be short lived I guess, freezing rain and sleet moving in tom. and then frigid temps next week! Ewwww!

Well I better scoot! You all have a super saturday and hopefully I'll get to know all of you better!

jeanne
jar1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #20  
Chick

Jeanne
My goodness, I guess you do want to keep that fabulous weight loss going! Glad you've joined us and we hope you keep on posting. We've got a great group of gals here and we try to keep the Turtle idea alive by keepin' on keepin' on. We try to change the habits that aren't getting us anywhere except fat, and we try to change them to fit into our lifestyle. Not an easy task, but it's working for a lot of us! Although we are WW based, a few of us have recently joined TOPS, one of us uses a fresh food home delivery service, etc. etc. Some of us go to meetings (that would be me). We're interested in new recipes and ideas that can shake things up and keep the weight loss going in the right direction.

In any case, Mare and Jeanne, welcome. Post as often as you like!

I'm having a good day, but struggling with the winter weather--I'd really like to eat an awful lot more food than my points allow. Gosh--what a novel concept! So I'm going to make a bowl of oatmeal and put some frozen blueberries on it and have some more tea to fill up my belly.
Everybody have a good day!
Judy
234.6/214/213 looking forward to losing the next pound which puts me in virgin fat territory this time around! Gotta do it~!
Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi ladies & Welcome Jeanne!

Sounds like everyone is back on track & raring to go.
Nice to see all the goals everyong is setting. I think it helps with accountability when we have specific goals in sight.

I joined the centre yesterday for walking/swimming with 2 ladies from my neighbourhood & we walked 15 laps for a start point (13 laps = 1 mile) So just over a mile & that took 20 minutes. I started a log and my goal is to do better every 30 days. The pool was busy so only got in 4 lengths then a hot tub - but overall was good outting.

I was down 1/2# at my Tops meeting but still up abit from what I was mid December. All other members showed a gain, so if I am careful this week I will be Biggest Loser with that tiny loss.

Judy - that new recipe sounds delicious, will try that soon.

It is soooooooo cold up here - suppose to warm up later but that means more snow. The city will have to start hauling the snow away, since it is getting dangerous at corners for seeing traffic.

Hope everyone stays on track this week, and lets all have a great loss at the scales!!!
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #22  
jeanne

Good Morning Ladies and thank you so much for the warm welcome! Yesterday was a nice, quiet day. We had a snow storm and malls and restraunts closed. So, we had Rigatoni and Meatballs (which I ate in moderation) & I made a loaf of frozen bread. NO BIRTHDAY CAKE! Good family! We had bought a box of 2 Point WW Brownies............so we each had one of those! Delicious and perfect for the occasion!

Well I'm hosting a tea party/baby shower on Feb. 1 so I have been collecting pretty tea cups from thrift stores, antique stores and friends. I washed them all yesterday and they are ALL OVER my kitchen, so I should go up and do something with them before my family wakes up and wants breakfast! I have laundry to catch up too! So...........You guys have a great Sunday! It's a BIG football day here in Pittsburgh. **Go Steelers!!!!**

~jeanne
Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #23  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Bandit, weigh to go! : Oh my goodness, you are doing great! Dropping 1/2# at this time of year is fabulous. I kinda felt you were a little nervous about not having TOPS meetings during the holidays, but you really did great. Keep up the good work. I have a feeling you'll have your mid-Dec. weight back very soon and then it'll be onward and downward again. Thanks for setting a May goal. I've done the same and we'll all work toward a May goal together.

Jar1965,
Was it your ? You did great! You've lost a lot of weight during a really trying time. Weigh to go and keep up the good work!

All goes well here. Dh and I headed to dd's for a visit this afternoon. Although the food was more than I would have eaten at home, I'm going to track it now. My estimation is that it was within points and that's a good thing. I'd love to lose something this week and I know I can.

Take it easy, be well, and let's all do this!
Judy
Ariana, how are you doing? Chrily, how are you? All Turtles :

234.6/214/213
Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #24  

Morning ladies:

Well, I got in another walk Sat & Sun, so happy with that & felt great being in the hot-tub afterwards. Pool was busy, so only got in 6 laps one of those days. One of my goals this year is to get more exercise, so off to a good start.

Did OK with my menu over weekend & hoping for loss Wed at scale.

Everyone, lets have a great OP week!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #25  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Welcome, Jeanne! You work at a CHOCOLATE FACTORY???? I truly cannot imagine. Do you get sick of chocolate, or do you want to eat it all the time? When I worked at a bakery long ago, I gained a ton of weight. A chocolate factory would be 10 times worse for me!!

Judy, I now drink a lot of tea in between meals and with meals. It really helps keep me from eating. And more interesting than always drinking water, too! (I do drink a lot of water as well, of course.) I've discovered a great loose tea strainer that I use for some teas, and also a wonderful herbal bland called Spice Tea by Good Earth. It's naturally sweet and just marvelous. Good for you, tracking your points.

Bandit, you're the exercise queen! I'm impressed, especially given how cold it is right now. Maybe I should look for an indoor place to walk. I love to walk outdoors, but sometimes -- like after our 8 inches of snow this weekend -- it isn't practical. There's always the mall, I guess, if I leave my credit card at home!

Just finishing up TOM, so another pound fell off. Always a nice feeling. Got rid of some larger clothes yesterday that I loved but just don't look right anymore. Also a nice feeling. Just 7 more pounds until VFT -- that's just 2 months or so away! Just in time for the warmer weather. (I'm being an optimist about the weather!)

Have a lovely day, Turtles.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #26  
jeanne

Hi everyone! I had a great OP weekend! However, I did break down and eat three chocolate foil hearts today. We are working on a Valentines project and it has those little foil hearts in them!!!!!

Judy - Hi! Yes, it was my birthday! I was 44! Thanks for the encouragement. I need all I can get!

LaurenH - Yeppers! A CHOCOLATE FACTORY!!!! Big time! lol! It is very hard at times and other times it's just o.k. NEVER EVER EASY though!! Our owner had bakeries for years before going into this business!

Everyone have a great day!

~jeanne
Old 01-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #27  

Hi ladies its me. (Cherry) I just wanted to post and let you know how proud I am of all of your progress. I read all your posts and it is great how ready to go you guys are.
Yes i am now almost 13 weeks pregnant and have gone back and forth with 1 pound the entire time so i am trying to watch my cravings and eat lots of healthy foods. I am also watching my Blood Pressure which has caused trouble at the end of my previous two pregnancies due to pre- eclampsia. I am worried about my health and the babies so i am just doing my best to keep on keepin on.

Keep up the good work ladies. I know you can reach your goals.
CherryAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #28  

Hi turtles:

Cherry - nice to hear from you & hope you are feeling good.

It is sooooooooo cold up here - there have been lots of warnings the last few days, bitter cold.

I have my meeting tonight & hoping not to be up. Will let you know tomorrow about that.

Hope everyone is doing well with menus & getting some exercise.

Keep warm!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #29  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Wow, this site is nice and busy. I'll start backwards with the responses:
Cherry, I'm so glad to hear from you. Weigh to go with maintaining your weight. Keep up the good work. 13 weeks into your pregnancy and eating healthy foods deserves a

Bandit, it is beastly cold here too. The Farmers Almanac predictead a tough, cold, snowy winter and that seems to be what we are having. Good luck on your WI tonight. You're doing great with exercise at the centre with your friends, and your exercise plan. and Keep up the good work!

Jeanne, okay-=-since you joined us you have had a without a birthday cake and you work in a chocolate factory. Oh--just shoot me now! When I was a kid in college I worked as a waitress every summer and at first the food was a turn-off, but it didn't take long before I wanted to eat everything. I honestly don't know how you do it, but kudos for doing the right thing. Keep up your good work and keep on posting!
and (maybe the carrot will keep our minds off chocolate LOL)

Lauren, first of all : another pound down! This is getting serious!
LOL. Fabulous!! You're doing great. Thanks for the tea hints. I like that idea a lot. I'm a tea drinker myself and got this hint from my niece. She brews a pot of decaf green tea and puts 1/4t. of the following spices into the pot--all ground--cinnamon, cardamon, nutmeg, and ginger --it makes a flavorful pot of tea. I prefer black tea but find the spices make the green tea taste better and quite good. She drinks it throughout the day and I have been trying to do this a few times a week. My dh likes it too and I figure the spices are good for him too.

As far as me, I had a setback and am figuring out how to look ahead instead of backward. I've got a pot of lentil soup on the stove and it should be yummy and low point. I've posted the recipe before, but if anyone is interested, I can post it again. I went to my WW mtg. yesterday but didn't WI==no matter what I will WI this upcoming Wednesday. So onward and downward for us all!
Judy
Old 01-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #30  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Jeanne, I forgot about Valentine's Day; you're probably swamped with work right now. Couldn't you get another job in, say, a celery factory?

Hi, Cherry -- good to see you! Sounds like you're doing very well during your pregnancy; good for you. Hope you stay healthy and WARM.

Bandit, I'll bet you're even colder than we are, which is saying something! It was -6 here when I got up this morning (Fahrenheit) and it reached a whopping high of about 10. Stay warm!

Judy, what a good idea to put those spices into tea. Do you add them via a strainer? Or just dump them into the pot? If you like spicy tea, you might like Chai. There are different brands that make it; I have one by Celestial Seasonings (decaf). You can add sweetener and a little milk if you like, and it's pretty similar to what I had in India. I like that one for a change sometimes.

Sorry about your setback. Do you know what caused it?

I'm up about a half a pound for no particular reason; that's just the way my body goes. I'm not updating my stats, though!

Yesterday while driving home on country roads through the snowy tundra, I heard a huge CRASH and then a dragging sound under the car. Nice. So I pulled over, got out, and kneeled in the snow to look underneath the chassis. There was a big old piece of metal hanging down; I had no idea what it was. I pondered for a bit, thought about calling a tow truck but of COURSE I was in a no-signal zone and couldn't use the phone. So I said the heck with it and got in the car and kept driving, listening to the grating metal the whole way. I had a hair appointment I didn't want to miss, dadgummit!! I went to the appointment, then drove home, screech screech screech. When DH got home, we decided to drive the car to the local garage and leave it there overnight. In the process of backing down the driveway, I broke the piece off entirely. Such drama.

Anyway, it was nothing that $200 couldn't fix , and I got to postpone a dentist's appointment and work from home today. Always a silver lining!

Have a great day, turtle ones. Keep picturing those spring clothes!