Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 05:41 PM   #1  

Default Feisty and Sexy 50 and 60's Year Olds #165

G'day all,

Hope you all have had a great weekend.

The weather has been very humid here with thunderstorms and rain. I walked to work this morning, most of the way I can go underground and then just dodge the rain for the last little bit.

We are looking at moving from where we are staying. The apartment is very nice etc. but extremely expensive and only one bedroom. ($1200 per week) I have been really annoyed with poor service and when we think we will be here till October, it is a bit depressing. DH saw an ad in the paper for an apartment at half the cost, right on the harbour, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms etc. etc. The only thing is that it is not serviced. I am not really fussed about that and I am quite happy to do it myself. This morning dh will be talking to his work (I am sure they will be thrilled to be paying half the cost) and then to the agent to see when we can take it over.

Discovered the fish markets at the weekend and got some beautiful prawns and barramundi, very reasonably priced.

I will check in later again.

Cheers
Maria
Old 02-18-2002, 10:50 AM   #2  
Life Time 2001

Ann: Yes I did get the halibut! It was wonderful. Its my favorite fish. I like just about any kind of white fish. Dont like Salmon at all. Its to fishy for me.

Maria: Wow that is expensive! Will the new one still be close to your new work so you can walk? I have never heard of barramundi, what kind of fish is it?

Best get moving. Have a great day!
Old 02-18-2002, 02:15 PM   #3  
Fun Blonde

Maria - I think our economies are very different. $1200/week is what I imagine Donald Trump paying. That is $4800/month. Wow!

Lily - I bet you enjoyed that halibut but how do you eat anything and be able to wear THAT red dress!

We had grandsons' birthdays over the weekend. We got them a tv together. Joel and Shanna are buying a house, closing on it in March. They are very happy about that. It is a fairly small house with 4 bedrooms, but they do have 4 kids altogether. Joel, my son, is still on a large house of his ex-wife and can't be named on this house. Confusing, ain't it? I think what it amounts to is that he got really screwed in the divorce.

So happy to see the Canadians last night with their gold medals. I think the skaters were all very gracious, just the Russian coach was nasty. Hope this highlighted some of the colossal shortcomings of the judged events.

Is everyone off today for Presidents' Day? Just another day for us.
Glenda
Old 02-18-2002, 05:09 PM   #4  

G'day all,

Firstly let me set something straight regarding the amount of money we (the company) pay for our apartment, the amount I told you is Australian dollars, $AUS 0.52 = $US 1.00. As you can see quite a difference never the less it is still a lot of money. I believe in value for money regardless who pays hence our attempts to get a less expensive apartment.
It is not looking good, despite the apartment we looked at being cheaper and we like it better, the company does not want to commit to a lease of any kind unless approval is gained from the US.
I sent dh off with his best negotiating skills hat on this morning, so who knows.
I still would be able to walk to work and the only 'negative'is that I have to do my own housework! Big deal, I will quite enjoy having a bit of clean up once a week!

Glenda a 4 bedroom house we would not regard as small! I bet your grandson enjoyed receiving his very own tv.
I have never heard of 'Presidents Day' but it sounds a good idea for a day off I hope you all had a great 'Presidents Day'!

Lily Barramundi is a beatiful fish caught in the Northern Territory in Australia. It is a very moist, sweet tasting fish. I thought it was also exported but perhaps not. It is quite an expensive fish to buy so to buy it quite cheaply at the fish market was good and something we will do again.

On the medal thing, what a farce! The Canadians deserve their gold medal but what does it really mean if both pairs get the gold My sympathies also go to the russian pair, how must they feel when they now know they really didn't win gold after all. I think the judges need a rocket
How is the Australian in the speed skating winning the very first Gold Medal for Australia in the winter Olympics I think I would be buying a lottery ticket if I was him.
The old saying, you gotta be in it to win it, is certainly true in his case!

Gotta go, another hard day at work for me

Cheers
Maria
Old 02-18-2002, 09:11 PM   #5  
Member Florida Chick

Talking Hi on Presidents Day

The only evidence of Pres. Day here is no mail, and we have lots of visitors in the park. All those families with winter vacations.

Glenda: Four bedrooms sound pretty big to me. I agree something went wrong in that divorce settlement. Somebody had a really good lawyer!

Maria: Lily asked my question about the fish. We get a lot of Orange Roughy. I believe that comes from Australia. Another Gold Medal for Australia today.

The whole pair skating thing was a shame. But how gracious both the pairs were in the ceremony, and hopefully, now something good will come out of this whole fiasco. Correcting the judging. Any of you be brave enough to do ski jumping off one of those big ramps?: Or- how about snow boarding, or some of those aerials on skis. Did you see that poor gal in the slalom crash into the side-course nets? I can't even imagine flying down a mountain at close to 80 mph. Ah youth and great physical condition? Bet their thighs and joints don't bother them everytime they get up from a chair (unless they have crashed!)

Lily: I take salmon once in a while. Bought some last week that had a pesto butter on it, so when it was baked it got that flavor. That was pretty good.

Did any of you see the Turtle Cookies on the WW recipe board? I made a copy of it, if anyone might be interested. 2 points per cookie.

Trudy: Hope you are getting rested some. How is the new medicine working? Isn't that a stonger version of Prevacid? How is your Mom? It won't be long before Slavika returns home. I'm sure she is having a wonderful time.

Thursday we are going to Sarasota for a long weekend, to attend
dh class reunion. I hope I can stay on the program, and hopefully I'll meet some nice wives who won't want to talk ships and sailing all the time. Don't really know anyone, as this is the first time my dh has even wanted to go to one of his reunions.
Should be a challenge.

'See ' you tomorrow. Ann
Old 02-18-2002, 11:05 PM   #6  

Back again.......

The prospect of us moving is looking pretty good again, so here's hoping!
I have also found out tnat there are several ways for me to get to work:, bus (boring), walking, ferry or by water taxi I will try and walk every day but when the weather is not so great I have all these options. Keep your fingers crossed that it will all come off

Ann wow we have another gold medal!!! Amazing, the one real prospect we had was of a girl who has badly injured her knee at practice and is now back in Australia for surgery.
All the events look unbelievably difficult to me but one of the weirdest (I think) is the 'luge'. I cannot understand why anyone would want to do that especially when it is with 2 people
I hope you will meet some nice people at the reunion.
Talking about staying OP, it is VERY difficult for me since starting work. Today there was another catered for morning tea and luncheon. When everyone leaves I do a bit of a tidy and email everyone (7) in the office that there are left- overs and to come and help themselves. There are 3 young men here who I keep encouraging to eat all the left overs
I have been pretty good today.

I have been pretty busy by volunteering that I am happy to do anything. I did a Powerpoint presentation and a huge report on the Biotech industry, fascinating stuff.
It never ceases to amaze me how clever scientists are.
See ya tomorrow
Cheers
Maria
Old 02-19-2002, 12:21 AM   #7  

Default just had to share this email.........

before I go home

This is the funniest thing I've read for ages.
>
> > Please note that Westpac is installing a new Drive Thru Cash Point
> > Machine.
> > Customers will be able to withdraw cash without leaving their
vehicles.
> > To enable users to use this new facility, the following procedures
have
> > been drawn up.
> > Please read the procedure that applies to you (i.e male or female)
and
> > remember them
> > for when you use the machine for the first time:
> >
> > MALE PROCEDURE
> > 1. Drive up to the cash machine.
> > 2. Wind down your car window.
> > 3. Insert card into machine and enter pin.
> > 4. Enter amount of cash required and withdraw.
> > 5. Retrieve card, cash and receipt.
> > 6. Wind up window.
> > 7. Drive off.
> >
> > FEMALE PROCEDURE
> > 1. Drive up to cash machine.
> > 2. Reverse back the required amount to align car window to machine.
> > 3. Re-start the stalled engine.
> > 4. Wind down the window.
> > 5. Find habdbag, remove all contents onto passenger seat to locate
card.
> > 6. Turn down radio.
> > 7. Attempt to insert card into machine.
> > 8. Open car door to allow easier access to machine due to its
excessive
> > distance from car.
> > 9. Insert card.
> > 10. Re-insert card the right way up.
> > 11. Re-enter handbag to find diary with your pin written on back
page.
> > 12. Enter pin.
> > 13. Press cancel and re-enter correct pin.
> > 14. Enter amount of cash required.
> > 15. Check make-up in rear view mirror.
> > 16. Retrieve cash and receipt.
> > 17. Empty handbag again to locate purse and place cash inside.
> > 18. Place receipt in back of cheque book.
> > 19. Re-check make-up again.
> > 20. Drive forward two metres.
> > 21. Reverse back to machine.
> > 22. Retrieve card.
> > 23. Re-empty handbag, locate card holder and place card into the
slot
> > provided.
> > 24. Re-start stalled engine and pull away.
> > 25. Drive for 2-3 kilometres.........Release handbrake.

I hope it gave you a laugh

Cheers
Maria
Old 02-19-2002, 04:04 PM   #8  
Fun Blonde

Maria - I didn't know anyone was watching me the last time I tried to get cash out of the machine. What is going on with Australia! They have come alive!

Ann - last night I looked at that ski ramp on tv from the vantage point of the skier and just about felt sick. How do they do it? It is just amazing to see these young people do such Herculean feats.
Trudy - is your mom walking around yet? I know she is happy that she got a new knee just about now. She is probably well on the road to recovery.

This is the 19th and my Valentine flowers are still just beautiful. I am so ready for flowers and green grass and warm breezes. We haven't had much winter, except for the ice storm, but I am still so ready for spring!

Well, have a great day!
Glenda
Old 02-19-2002, 06:12 PM   #9  

Maria that was too funny. And it is probably too true. I usually can't remember my pin number. I was happy to see Australia win gold. I like to see others who usually don't win make it to the top. Now if the Jamaican bobsled team could win that would be funny. Tomorrow night something new is on. They call it the skeleton. They go on sleds face first and evidently scrape their chins a lot. Doesn't sound like fun to me. Glenda how nice your son and his wife and kids are getting a house. 4 bedrooms sounds big to me. Ann I am going to see if I can find the recipe for the cookies. They sound good. Hi Lily and Trudy. See you all later, Peggy
Old 02-19-2002, 09:47 PM   #10  

G'day all,

Another working day for me! I have to say that every day when I walk into work I have to pinch myself when that magnificent view stares me in the face, I feel very lucky and the people are just great.

peggy that sounds awful this 'skeleton' thing. Mind you many of the events are very scary to me. It was great to see the Australian girl win, she certainly was excited. Is there such a thing as a Jamaican bobsled team

Glenda you were a bit lucky getting flowers on valentine's day and they are still blooming
On Valentine's day I was sitting in a mall waiting for dh to finish with the physio and I couldn't believe the number of women that walked past with flowers that were obviously delivered to their office. Once upon a time (and not that long ago ), no-one celebrated Valentines Day, it was more of an American event , it has certainly changed now.

We still do not know if we will shift, what will be, will be but it would be nice.

Hope you are all having a great day
Cheers
Maria
Old 02-20-2002, 10:43 AM   #11  
Member Florida Chick

Angry Good Morning

Hi everyone;
Peggy: If you don't find the recipe let me know, and after we get back from out trip I'll post it. We leave tomorrow a.m. as soon as we can get ready. That is usually a production: Take the dog to the sitter, pack the car. You know the 'drill' We are getting better now, 'cause for the last few trips we haven't had an argument.

Maria: Your work sounds more like fun than a job.: Doing what you like to do. Hope you will be happy with the move to a new apartment. But wonn't you miss Keanu? Yes there really is a Jamaican bob sled team. I love to watch the figure skaters. Such grace. They make something so difficult look easy.

I wish I was weighing in today. I'd be down a lot, as I had some sort of intestinal upset. By the time I get back from our trip..........
I have to practice restraint.:

Bye for now. Ann
Old 02-20-2002, 11:45 AM   #12  
Life Time 2001

Glenda: Its not easy getting in to that red dress, let me tell you! I bet your GS is going to enjoy his TV. That was very nice of you! 4 bedrooms sounds big to me! Im sure they will enjoy there new home.

Maria: That fish sounds good. I have never seen it here so maybe if the do export it, it just doesnt make it this far. ALAS..... Ooohh I would want to take the water ferry to work. Tht sounds fun! I want your job

Ann: I think most my dislike for Salmon comes from a friend who brought over some fresh caught salmon. He grilled it for us and it wasnt done, at least to my liking. I dont like any kind of raw fish and this was raw to me. So I have never tried it again. I really should. Have fun on your weekend. Im sure you will have a good time!

Peggy: That skeleton thing doesnt sound like a lot of fun to me either.

Best get busy.
Later!
Old 02-20-2002, 09:32 PM   #13  

G'day all,

Another warm, overcast and windy day here.

The move is off Only for the time being though. I have been busy this morning ringing Real Estate Agents and it would seem it will only be a matter of time before something suitable comes up.

Another good thing happened this morning, for the first time we have actually got it in writing that we will be here till October 18. We never really know where we will be, we got told we would be here till October but so often these things change, so it is good to have it now in black and white.

We have also been having a look at where we could go over Easter for a bit of a break. There was a good package deal to Honolulu but it is a 20 hour flight from here so that is off. I am not that fussed to go away but dh really would like to go somewhere

Ann good luck on your trip. This weight thing is such a pain. Where I work at the bottom of the building is a shopping plaza with lots of different food outlets. I have just had some nachos for lunch I feel just so annoyed with myself for having that. I didn't even enjoy them all that much.

I agree with the skating, they do look just superb, dh doesn't like watching it, not enough action

Hope Slavika is having fun, look forward to seeing her post again.

See ya tomorrow
Cheers
Maria
Old 02-21-2002, 11:26 AM   #14  
Fun Blonde

Well, it does seem that most of us are getting pretty knowledgeable about the winter olympics. I always like to watch the olympics, but are we on fire or what! Do you think it is just home country advantage? I was so tickled to see the kid Shea win for his grandfather. I think there could be some kind of protest by the short track Japanese guy who crossed first but was disqualified.

Pretty slow here. I was out sick yesterday with a darned cold and earache. I am going to have Austin starting tonight until Saturday afternoon. So, I will get absolutely NOTHING done except watching and playing with him. I still wonder how I managed to raise 3 boys and cook and clean. Ah youth!

When I said that my older son is getting a 4-bedroom house, I meant that it is a small house square foot-wise with just lots of little chopped up bedrooms. It isn't much larger than my house (which is tiny) but has another bedroom. But it will be theirs. They have taken a beating with income tax and renting.

Maria - welcome to the world of work. We are always around food! Hope you get a neat vacation planned for Easter.

Lily - I ordered a salmon steak once at our favorite restaurant and it came to me raw. I haven't ordered it since. I am not a big fish eater anyway, but definitely want it cooked.

Have a great weekend. Will "see" you Monday.
Glenda
Old 02-21-2002, 11:34 AM   #15  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Nice to have it in writting how long you will be there. Least you will get to slow down for a while and not travel so much A trip for easter sounds fun, but 20 hour flight does not, unless you are gonna stay for awhile. Dont blame you for not going to Hawaii.

Glenda: I havent been keeping up with the olympics at all. They are on so late, I would get involved and never go to bed and then I would over sleep. SO I just havent bothered. I do watch on the weekends, but I miss alot. ALAS. SOrry to hear your sick. Get Better!!!!!

Going to be beautiful here today 70°. Spring has sprung!
Closed Thread