Old 08-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #136  
KAR

Afternoon Ladies,
Sounds like we are all busy getting ready to go back to school. But I don't think we would have it any other way. Even though I know it means the end of the summer and lazy days.
Miss Mermaid, I will be thinking about you and your mom tomorrow and Friday. Hope everything works out well for your mom's surgery and your first day back to school on Friday. Sounds like you had a busy schedule for today. Hope you accomplished it all. Yes it will be nice to be a in a new school. I teach grades 6 through 8 multihandicapped students. It will be nice to actually be able to teach them the needed living skills for a change.
Summer that really sucks about your firefighters and fire trucks. Since I had to pack up my classroom and have it moved to a different site I am afaird that I might lose some of my items. So I know how you feel. Especially when we have to purchase some of our own supplies out of our own pockets at times. Glad that your bb turned out so cute. Kuddos on the compliement from your co-worker. Hope you are enjoying your day cleaning house.
I took the day off from going into my classroom to get it ready. Wanted to spend the day with my dh. But he decided to go off and do his own thing. So I went to lunch and had a chef salad and some strawberries. While I was at the restuarant getting wonderful service from my sil since she works there. I was able to get a new customer for my Avon business. Plus might have lined up a fundraiser too. I was talking to one of the waitress and her daughter is a cheerleader. So I came home and typed up a pack of information for her and took it to her at work. So I am hoping that pans out here in the next couple of weeks. I guess this evening I am to go with my dh to his mom's for dinner and then to a football scrimmage for two of our old neighbhood's kids. So I guess those are my evening plans.
Well I better go and check on the laundry. Chat with you later.
Take care,
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:19 AM   #137  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hello.
I leave to take my mom to the hospital for her surgery in 5 hours. I can't sleep. I'm not worried... I'm anxious. I will be away from the computer all day tomorrow...will try to check in! I am taking water bottles and some snacks to have while I'm there. I will take my dad out to lunch eventually...out of the hospital if mom is doing well! I have no idea of where he will want to eat. I will try to use my brain when I get the chance to eat!

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!
take care!
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #138  

Mermaid: You have not left my thoughts for more than a minute. I'm sending hugs, good vibes, and prayers.

Ginger: Where are you?

Kerry: When I first started college, I went part time because I had to support myself. Anyway, my full time job was a paraprofessional in with a class of severe/profound mentally ******ed high school students. (Back in the 1980's, we were still allowed to call people mentally ******ed.) Our class spent time with the Trainable mentally ******ed class (Again, that terminology is now considered politically incorrect, but I don't know what the current terminology is since it changes constantly!!!) Anyway, we had our own classroom, but we shared a lifeskills room with the other class. We had a full kitchen, living room, and bedroom. We went to the library and grocery store every Wednesday in our minibus. Then on Thursday, we cooked lunch, and every Friday, we cooked breakfast. It was a challenge taking them into the community, but it really prepared me for when I left and began working in a group home in the evenings and weekends so I could attend college full time in the day. Anyway, now that I know about your facilities in your new school, I have a much better idea of what your job is like.

Yesterday, DD had a playdate with a lovely, low-maintenance child. Today, another just like yesterday's will be coming to play. DD is happy, busy, and I can do stuff around the house. The weather hasn't changed much. The temperature is up to a steamy 67 degrees. It is cloudy, but I can see the sun struggling to break through. No pool today. My brother and his wife are headed to Cape Hatteras on Saturday. Our family that has been there this past week reports that it was in the 90's and will continue through my brother's vacation. Ginger, you lucky dog! Anyway, I was coming to accept that school is starting till he called last night to tell me that they are not returning till September 5th. I'll be honest. I'm jealous as ****. Maybe if we had had hot, sunny, summer weather during my last week before school, I would feel better, but that weather isn't due to arrive till I'm back in school. Suck it up! I've had a tremendous summer with many days in the sun, pool, and beach. I got more than my share. I still have my tan. And, another summer will be here in about 9 months.
Summerrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #139  
KAR

Hi Ladies,
Miss Mermaid, been thinking about you all day. Hope everything turns out well for your mom today. Sounds like you had a wonderful plan for your eating today. Hope you were able to get some sleep.
Summer, sorry to hear that you have much cooler temps in your neck of the US. It is hot and humid down here again. Really sucks when you don't have ac in your house either. Hope you get alot done while your dd enjoys her low maintaince playdate. I wish my stepkids could find low maintaince friends. It would be so much nicer. I am with you on the vacation jealously. I say every year that we are going to go away for a few days during the summer. But it never happens. But this year it is my dh saying that we are going to save money for next summer and go away. He wants to go with our friends to the beach. But I think our first vacation together should be somewhere just the two of us for some peace and quiet. I guess that damn romantic is coming out in me again.
Well we went to my mil for dinner last night and then to the football scrimmage. When the scrimmage ended our friends wanted us to go to the local pizza pub to hang out with them. So we stayed there from about 7:30 until 10. Then went and sat on our friend's pourch until 2 this morning. Only to come home and get yelled at my butt hole of dh that I could sleep in the kids room. So I got the alarm clock and pillows and went in there. Didn't sleep much. Got up and went to work this morning. When I was walking out the door he got up and said that the reason I had to sleep in the kids room was because he needed his rest. Doesn't matter that I needed my rest to get stuff done for school. So I was able to get all my boxes unpack this morning and stuff put away. Then he calls my cell to ask if I need help. Because he would come out if I needed it. I told him no. Then he asked if I wanted to eat lunch with him. Met him at the Chinese place and gave him the silent treatment for lunch. He finally asked what was wrong. So I politely told him that geez when you get home late and end up sleeping in a different bed you don't get much sleep. That I was really tired. So I came home from lunch and tried to take a nap. But it is too darn hot. He still hasn't came home so I think he is embarrassed by his dumb little comment I need my rest. I think I will stay out of our bedroom for a few days and tell him that I need my rest. We were invited over to one of our friends house this evening. I think I am just going to stay home since I have to be up early again tomorrow morning. See if he says anything when I am sleeping in the kids room again tonight when he gets home.
Well I am in need of a large drink of water. I will chat with you all later.
Have a wonderful afternoon!
Kerry
Old 08-24-2007, 06:31 AM   #140  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

a quick note.........
Mom did very well through the surgery and yesterday. She sent me home after being with her for 14 hours. She had several rounds in the constant motion machine that was bending her legs ... We even had a 30 minute period where she stated with a huge smile "nothing hurts!" This was huge as she has had this horrible knee pain for over 10 years! We are all very pleased with how yesterday progressed!
When I returned home I began to dig out the stuff that I need for school today, put the clothes that I had worn at the hospital in the wash and then I fell into my bed and slept dead to the world for the first time in months.

I woke 10 minutes prior to my alarm....and was so afraid that if I fell back to sleep I would never get up... so I got up. I've not called the hospital yet to see how she is doing. I won't be going today. While this is going to be hard .... I just can't squeeze it all in... Today will be a challenge...I'm exhausted BEFORE going to work! Ahh, well.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, I've got to get back to getting ready to go to school...but I will try to post again tonight!
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #141  

Talking

Mermaid: Congratulations on your Mom's successful surgery!!! Isn't it AMAZING how quickly they get someone moving afterward?! This is an excellent sign that she will recover quite well. I'm thrilled that you slept like a rock! I'm quite impressed and grateful that you took the time to let us know how your Mom and you are before going to your first day of school. You know we would worry, and I appreciate that you gave us the GREAT news! Just think, once you get through today, you have two days to recover.

Kerry & Ginger, enjoy your Friday.

THE SUN IS SHINING, AND IT IS 70 DEGREES!!! IT IS SUPPOSED TO GO UP TO 80!!! The pool is not in any condition for swimming right now, but once I clean it and deal with the chemicals, it should be fine for tomorrow when it will be even hotter. If the pool isn't good, we'll head down the street to swim in my brother's pool. Tomorrow is going to be spent outside enjoying my last bits of summer. Today we have to run a bunch of errands, then we are going to see "The Nanny Diaries," and tonite we are going to a spa party at my BFF's house.

I will be starting a "Back to School" thread for us over the weekend. Now that we have 10 pages, we are a bit long. I'll let you know when it is time to move.

I'm off to pay some bills and get on with my day. Have a lovely one!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #142  
KAR

Mermaid thanks for the update on your mom and you. That is wonderful how she didn't feel pain yesterday after the surgery. Hope she has a speedy recovery. So how was your first day of school? Hope you can sleep like a rock again tonight.
Summer enjoy your day. I think that movie would be fun to see! Maybe I can con my sdd to go with me sometime. Hope you can go swimming over the weekend. It is very hot and humid here again. It is close to 100 again today. All the schools around us have let out early due to the heat.
Ginger hope you are enjoying your last few days of summer! Miss chatting with you.
Well I got up and went to my technology inservice. They told us be there between 8:30-8:45 and we didn't start until 9:15. Got out of there by 11:45. Meet my dh and went to lunch Stopped at the bank and then came home to pay two bills. Getting ready to go out to happy hour at the local restaruant and then off to the first football game of the season. Hope it cools off when the sun goes down a little bit.
Well I need to go change. Talk to you all later.
Take care and stay cool,
Kerry
Old 08-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #143  

Wink

I'm getting really tired of movie trailers giving you the wrong idea about a movie. All the cutesy, funny scenes in the advertisements for "The Nanny Diaries" were the only enjoyable parts of the movie. In other words, the other two hours of it were disappointing. The movie turned out to be very disturbing, depressing, and a real drag. I know women who use nannies, and some of them use the nanny as a support and a baby sitter who is available. These girls are from Germany, England, or Sweden. They are part time college students who are majoring in education and need a place to live and earn money. I personally wouldn't want some 19 year-old living in my home, but these women really want/need the help, so they do it. I have heard of a few women who's nannies know the children better than they do. Can you imagine putting your child in the care of someone who could quit at any moment? Since I don't know anyone personally who let the nanny be the full-time mother, I never totally believed that a human being could be so heartless toward their own flesh and blood. What was depicted in the movie gave me an upset stomach. There was a "happy" ending, but it took far too long to get there. Just to add to the lousy movie, there were multiple technical problems that took too long to fix. There's $13.25 down the toilet. I asked for a refund via email. I doubt I'll get it.

How do you define, "pamper?" My dictionary defines it: To coddle, to spoil, to indulge. The invitation to last night's spa party read, "Come and be pampered with an anti-aging facial." We were told to bring towels for our pedicures. I had visions of foot scrubs, hot soaks, creams, buffing, and nail polish colors. Uh uh. Not exactly. Not at all. The twelve of us (too many people for any actual pampering to occur) stood in a circle surrounding the island in my BFF's kitchen and applied oils and scrubs to our own hands as we rotated waiting in line to get to the sink to get the awful stuff off. This circle line rotated three times before we were done. Our last step was to apply a cleanser (not anti-aging mask) to our faces and rinse at the kitchen sink. When we were seated at the kitchen table (too crowded, not enough order cards or mini mirrors), we applied the toner supposedly designed for our skin type. Mine is sensitive. I applied it and YOWZA!!! Burning pain on my face, I ran to the sink to remove it. I returned to my seat to apply the "amazing" lotion and then some "royal jelly." Big woop! I kept asking myself, "When am I getting pampered? This doesn't feel like pampering. This feels like I'm being forced to test cosmetics." The products didn't even come close to measuring up to what I currently use. We were "treated" to a long, drawn out, boring monologue about these "miracle" products that have been around for 50 years, and amazingly, I've never heard of. Because this was for my BFF, I was on my best behavior, and put up with it. I wasted money and bought some products for my body. I'm certainly not putting any of that crap on my face. Now that I'm 42...almost 43, the skin on my face is no joke. The consultant pressured me pretty heavily to buy the skin care line, and only after I convinced her that I had stockpiled my Elemis skin care products, would she back off. Then she proceeded to get me to buy more stuff for the body that I didn't need or want. AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! You know, once you are my age, you most likely have found what works and have become attached to it. She needs to market herself to young girls who don't know any better yet.

Right now it is 73 degrees and very foggy. Supposedly, the fog will burn off, and it will get up to 90 degrees!!!!!!! I sure hope so. I'm not doing anything except dishes and laundry today. My plan is to enjoy the HOT SUN and swim in either my or my brother's pool all day.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #144  

I'm gonna make a new thread for us...Coconut Telegraph Goodbye summer. See you there