Old 06-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #16  
Member Florida Chick

Hip Hip Hurrah! Yesterday and last night we had our first good rain. The edge of tropical storm Bruce. Now we are just getting wind.

Slavika: This is what worked with our dog for housebreaking. We got some of those puppy pads, and about the time she seemed to go, we tied her leash to the kitchen table so she went on them, and when there was success with that, then we would catch her and put her on them and then put them in front of the door. When she began going to the one by the door, out she went. It really sounds longer than it took for it to work.

Maria: The Canadian side of the falls is the best to see. The ride on the boat Maid of the Mist, is interesting and damp. It is sad that the touristy stuff is so built up now, but it is still a sight to behold. I can't imagine anyone wanting to ride over it in a barrel. A little goofy, I think. The Amish countryside is so picturesque. And their restaurants are very good. I'm sorry your tummy is acting up. How about some Mylanta or some Zantac to help out. I've also found that CocoCola helps an upset stomach.

Trudy: It was good to hear from you. I haven't planted anymore flowers, since it has been so dry, and that has been the reccomendation - don't palnt anything until we get more rain. Our Crepe Myrtle tree is beginning to bloom now. it is covered with buds, and i think it will be very pretty. I never heard of canker worms, but they sound gross. Up north we used to have tent catapillars and they made webs all over the trees. Yuck.

It is sound to me like most all have been 'off the food wagon' so to speak and now we will have to get serious. At least that is how I feel about myself, but I must admit it is very hard to get motivated.

Hi to everyone. Time to think about making a meal.

Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #17  

G'day all,

I have just been watching the weather channel, I cannot believe all the rain in Florida....the highest 11 inches
Did you really want that much rain Ann?
I also noticed that Oklahoma has more storms. You certainly have a variety in your weather forecast. Our weather forecast and weather patterns aren't half as interesting, which is probably a good thing!
Sounds lovely Glenda you orange flowers, I do see the connection If Leon goes out in his OSU shirt amongst his flowers you could loose him
I remember Leon telling us where he intended planting the flowers, should look great.

Ann I have been having Zantac and Mylanta and it eases a bit but it still hanging in there.
When are you going to Holly? You cannot have been, I never heard about the spa!

Slavika
good to hear you have been so busy, I hope LB will start behaving herself soon. Is Sonja very allergic to her?
I can picture all your gardens and where you have all planted your flowers. Cannot wait to get home and see how my garden is though it is winter and it will not be that colourful.

Before I go and get some breakfast...the Outlet Centres are a killer. Bought a gorgeous Tommy Hilfilger shirt and jacket for Alan, very expensive at home. about 1/4 of the price here. We also bought an Adidas watch for Alan when he is out on his canoe/kyak. Came back and checked out the instructions on the net and saw the very same watch advertised for $245, we paid $19.95 We then went back and got 2 more watches for David and Joe. Apparently this watch is last year's model, hence the price!
I have repacked the cases and there is still a little room.......not much left in the bank though

Stay happy and well everyone
Cheers
Maria
flaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #18  

Maria you are finding some good bargains at the outlet malls. It is making me want to take a trip up 71 to Jeffersonville. You can always squeeze a few more things in your luggage. Do you have the expandable ones???? I love looking at your pictures. It has been an age since we were in Lancaster. I will have to check the Amish here when we go to Amish country next to see if they wear shoes. I thought that last summer they did. Hope your stomach is better. There is some kind of stomach thing going around. It was at school the last month. We liked the Canadian side of the Falls the best. We didn't do the Maid of the Mist. The kids were small and I thought they would drown or something. This was after the oldest was leaning real far over the railing on the American side.
Glenda what kind of orange flowers do you have? They sound pretty. My son is a Tenn fan and their colors are orange.
Slavika-I am glad that you and Trudy finally got some sun and got your flowers planted. I have most of my stuff in pots-that keeps the dogs from trampling them. My dog and N's dogs when they bring them over. I sort of thought you would spoil LB. She sounds like she has the "perfect" home with you.
Summer has arrived now that school is out. I went yard saleing yesterday. I always find some treasure or other. D is out cutting up some tree limbs that blew out of the tree in the front yesterday. I guess I had better go help or at least look like I want to. We finally had about a 30 minutes of rain yesterday. This afternoon my sister is in a recital for her tap dancing. She is 79 and her group is all about the same age. Should be fun to watch.
Peggy
painter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #19  

G'day all,

We are in Gettysburg tonight or rather this afterternoon.
Unfortunately it has been pouring with rain, we had a bit of a look around and it is a VERY interesting city.
I also got yet another bargain.....we were pottering around an antique shop when I spotted this ring, thinking it would be far too expensive. However it was $59.00 so I just HAD to have it! It is 14 carat cold, an aquamarine (happens to be my birthstone) with 2 small diamonds either side. It is second hand but who cares!

Yes Peggy I do have expandable cases and they are now both expanded!!!
Do any Americans buy anything full prize??????
How far is an outlet centre from your place Peggy?
Your sister's recital sounds like fun, good for her to be tapdancing at 79

I also bought some wrapping paper and sticky tape from the 'Dollar Store' to wrap the gifts for the kids.
What a country....so many bargains to be had

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 03-07-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #20  

Maria love, love the ring. Good buy. And you deserve it. eIt is a nice memory that will never go out of style. Never pay full price if you can help it. At least I don't. The outlet mall is about an hour up the road-about halfway to Columbus. You have to watch though, because some of their prices aren't that great. Also love those dollar stores. Have a Dollar Tree up the street. I have a gazillion gift bags that I buy there. You never know when you will need one. lol Come back and we will shop.
The dance recital was fun. My sis's group was 6 and the oldest is 82 with my sis being the next in age and the rest are in their 70's. Have to give them credit and I guess I shouldn't be calling them the prancing pachyderms anymore. We drove through a monsoon on the way home and as soon as we crossed the bridge into Ohio it was sunny. Go figure.
Peggy
Old 06-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #21  
Member Florida Chick

Peggy: Your sisters group sounds a bit like our line dancing group. I think our oldest is 83 and the youngest is around 64. I am in the middle of the group, leaning a bit closer to the 80 mark. But we have a good time and it is very good exercise. We do go out and entertain at Nursing Homes now and again.

Maria: I love the ring. It is very pretty and a great bargain. I think that the rain you are getting might be the tail end of the rain we had on Friday night. We didn't get 11 inches, only about 1 or 2. and we are going to need a lot more to replace all that is lost. The lakes are so low. The lake here in our park is so low that some of the boats are sitting on the bottom, and they are tied way out away from the docks. The weatherman here said that this rain (Bruce) would go up along the Eastern area.

Slavika: I have been having fun with all your emails. I think you have been going over all 90 that you hadn't checked in a while. Such fun. And some good laughs. I particularly liked the little (should be call it a Zonkey) colt with the striped legs.

Rode my 6 miles on my bike tonight and now am ready to call it a day.

Ann
Old 06-04-2007, 11:06 PM   #22  
Member Florida Chick

Maria: It is indeed a chipmunk. They are cute little critters. They can become quite tame, and will take nuts right out of your hand. We had a lot of them up north, and our cat used to lay in wait for them as she had discovered their 'highway'. Ann
Old 06-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #23  

I learned something new. I never knew there was a grand canyon in Pa. Thanks Maria for finding it. I had friends look for the grand canyon of the south once and they couldn't find it. Maybe they were in the wrong state. lol
I washed my windows Monday and then washed the car. 15 minutes after I was finished it rained. Now I know how to make it rain here. I can't complain since we needed it. I did find some good stuff to use on windows. I bought it at Dollar Tree in the car area. It is called Street Smarts, an Awesome product. I love it and for a buck it can't be beat.
Maria somewhere I have a picture of me in about the same spot of you at the Falls. It is from way back when. My college friend was from Kenmore and I went home with her one spring break and we went to the Falls. That was when I saw the most snow I have ever seen piled up on the curbs. We have a chipmunk that I am trying to catch in my Have a Heart cage. So far I have caught a squirrel. Chipmunks make so many holes and tunnels that they are bad for your sidewalks and things. Something gets into it at night and bent part of the spring. I think it is the raccoon that prowls around.
I went to dinnner last night with a group that I belong to. I had the Thai Chicken Pasta. If you figure that a pasta serving is a half a cup I must have had enough for 10-12 servings. It was on a gigantic plate. I brought most of it home. I think of Maria whenever they ask what choices we want to go with our meals now.
Ann - 6 miles on a bike is great. Is this on an outside bike or a stationary one? I am going to ride mine that is down in the basement. You are inspiring me.
What have you all been doing?
Peggy
Old 06-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #24  
Member Florida Chick

Peggy: This is an outside bike. I have a friend who rides with me and so the miles go by faster. If it would only speed some weight loss.

Today I had a laser treatment on the goofy eye, and now have to go back in 8 wks. to be checked on.

Today made reservations to go to see DH brother near Syracuse New York. He just had his 80th birthday this spring and so we just think that sort of trip is necessary. We got pretty good rates with Jet blue, and Non-stop. That is what we like.

I too had never heard of a Grand Canyon in Pa. It must be in the Western part of the state, and that is one part we never had occaison to go to.

I need to try your remedy for making it rain, although I have had to wash the car frequently because of the darn Lovebugs, and it didn't rain then. Maybe it is because i didn't do the windows too.

Hi Everyone. Ann
Old 06-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #25  
Fun Blonde

Girls, let me tell you about rain. Last Friday at quitting time it started to rain. I was driving, of course. Leon had gone home earlier. Anyway, it rained. It poured. It rained. I drove through rivers and that was on the highway. It rained for 3 hours. We had 6 inches of rain in a little over 3 hours. Many streets are still flooded. I have never seen so much rain and this when there is no more place for it to go. I am so darned tired of rain. We are high so we had no flooding problems, but it flooded in areas that never have flooded before in memory.

Peggy, I think your sis' tapdancing groups sounds just like the most fun ever. Did they all survive?

We took off Monday and Tuesday and took care of Makenzie while her parents were in Mexico. Shanna had it all worked out--grandparents had her for 2 days each, winding up with big sissy having her today while she picked up parents at the airport. She didn't cry once with me! This is a new high! She does love her Mama. Anyway, as we were leaving, she said, "I sure love you guys!" We, of course, melted.

I am glad to hear that Florida has had some much needed rain. I would certainly love to share some of ours. Ah well, remind me of this when it goes 6 months with nary a cloud in sight.

Maria, no, we Americans who are smart, NEVER pay full price for ANYTHING! The only time we do, we walk around with a load of guilt on our shoulders. Usually, you can find about anything with something off. Your ring is so beautiful! You sound like us--sometimes you just cannot afford to save any more!

Slavika, Patches owns your heart. I knew it! I was wondering about your DIL too. At least she doesn't have to live with the pup. Your grandkids love visiting you now more than ever?
Glenda
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #26  

G'day all,

We slept VERY well last night No strange neighbours fighting, just peace and quite.

Glenda I cannot imagine how bad it must be with 6 inches of rain You certainly have had your share of wet weather. Pleased you enjoyed the visit of Makenzie.

I am quite amazed that none of you have heard of the Grand Canyon in PA, it is a beautiful area. Here is a website with some more info http://www.visittiogapa.com/ , just gorgeous country side.

As you may have seen on the blog, squirels are just so cute. I cannot believe that when we saw the very first one, we were at great pain taking photos and now we see them everywhere!
Do you want to keep the chipmunk as a pet Peggy?

I think we are in Syracuse today Ann, missed you again!

Alan is just hurrying me for breakfast so I had better be off....

Cheers
Maria
Old 06-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #27  
Member Florida Chick

Sorry Glenda that you have had so much rain, but we were happy yestserday as we got some more much needed moisture. It actually rained most of the night. Maybe our brown lawns will green up again.

Maria: your next door neighbors must have been a bit scary. We have had some noisy neighbors a couple of times, but they were young, and since the walls were paper-thin you could hear the matress and springs all night. Need I describe more? : Syracuse is the hub for medicine in that part of NYS. There is a teaching hospital there, along with many Dr.s. The serious cases always seem to be sent to Syracuse from the surrounding area.
There is a great Mall there, too. If you do any exploring at all. Otherwise, I can imagine you in one of the motels right off from the thru-way, as we call it. You are really on the count-down now.

No bike riding last night. Lovely rain. Today I am off for a much needed massage.

See you later. Ann
Old 06-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #28  

Maria thanks for the link. Who knew that was there. It reminds of the Smokeys down in Tennessee. Glad you got some rest. That was something else with the next door idiots. Always keep your chain or whatever on when you are in your room. Twice we have had our room given out to someone else and we were both surprised when they entered. Sort of scary. You are probably starting to want your own bed in your own house. The closest thing we have to a gun is a squirt gun.
Glenda I am amazed at all the rain you are getting. You wonder why one area gets so much and others are begging. We have had a shower or two and it is supposed to rain tomorrow. That much rain would be depressing to me. I guess you can be glad that it didn't turn into any tornadoes. Hope you see the sun soon.
Ann it is nicer to ride outside. Is it flat with no hills??? I have to practice on my stationary. My son wants me to ride with him on one of the bike trails. I can see it now-I would be about a mile and be exhausted and sort of cranky.
Slavika wish I looked like the princess when I was her age. She is a little beauty.
Have sheets hanging outside. Time to take them in.
Peggy
Old 06-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #29  
Member Florida Chick

Peggy: Where we ride is flat. It is a big circle around two streets in the park. Once around is a mile. Go with your son for a short ride, not a long one. there must be some way to only go a little while at a time, until you build up your stamina.

This has been a busy day. Dr.'s appt. at 8:00a..m. then some breakfast, then off to Curves, then to pick up my x-rays to take to a different place. I got tired of the runaround I felt I was getting at the place where I usually get my mammogram, and so I have changed. They were very co-operative at the new place. So I will be going there from now on.

I think we might get more rain today. Hope so. Line dancing tonight. That's it for today.

I agree about putting your chain on your motel room door. We had the same experience with someone else also being booked for our room. A little unsettling, to be sure.

Have a great weekend. Ann
Old 06-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #30  

G'day all,

Arrived in Boston this afternoon and met Gloria and her husband Jack.
Gloria lives in a lovely tree lined street in a typically American home. We had a lovely dinner tonight and tomorrow we will go and explore Boston.
Jack had a really nice touch, he had a small Australian and American Flag out the front of their house.
We are quite exhausted after a bad sleep again last night, we shouldn't have too many problems tonight!
I will try and post a photo tomorrow.

Cheers
Maria