Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:17 AM   #16  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I wonder if Trader Joes will take it back? I'll try it tomorrow...what a drag...I eat a LOT of salad...god forbid I might have to wash a regular head of lettuce...OH the humanity! Ok...maybe for a little while...in the hospital for 10 days on emergency dialysis sounds pretty awful. Even just diarrhea...not a fun weekend plan.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:41 AM   #17  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Ladies, i'd like to make a recommendation.

It probably wouldn't be of much comfort right now, but one thing that i've done for quite a while now is wash all my produce (and you can do it with meat too) in a Clorox bath. Mix 1 TBL of Clorox (others may have additives) for every 1 gallon of water, soak for 30 minutes, (this kills the bacteria) then soak in clean water for 10 minutes. Rinse well, dry and refrigerate. There is a lot of info on it if you Google it.

As to the organics, (which is simply no use of chemicals or tampered genetics) transmission of E-coli is through manure that farmers use as fertilizer. I would imagine that this same fertilizer is used for organics so it wouldn't make any difference.

I also have to wonder, what difference does it make if it's prepacked or loose? Any particular field is not designated for just prepacked. The original spinach could end up loose or prepacked. I wouldn't want any of it.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:53 PM   #18  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

If you haven't already thrown your unopened bag of spinach out, my husband says you can take it to the store for a refund. I haven't checked this out myself, though (I didn't ask him where he got his info!).
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:38 AM   #19  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

I received an exchange from Trader Joes with no problems. (didn't need a refund)
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:08 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 224/202/120

Height: 5'4

Ok whats up with the spinich now?
Kontessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #21  
Working My Way Back Down

You can see the latest from the FDA - dated 9/29 - here: http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2006/NEW01474.html

What I heard on the news today (10/2) is that fresh spinach is back in the stores, and bagged spinach for places other than California has no problems. Frozen and canned spinach have never been affected in this recall.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote