Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #1  
Lookin for my collarbones

Default Ack! I ate fish!

I don't like fish, despite growing up in southern Oregon, the "fishing capital of the world" according to my Los Angeles-raised husband.

We went on our Costco run yesterday. (It was my official due date but Baby Girl is not cooperating - picture poor me waddling around the warehouse looking for good food, hehe). We had lots of fruit and veggies in the cart, some canned tomatoe stuff and a bunch of other good stuff, but we hadn't figured out the protein, despite spending some time looking through the fish they had available. I had vetoed the fish for me until after the baby comes.

I finally said "heck with it, let's get some fish" and we ended up with some sole. (I thought it was a superfood, but I guess not once I got home to double check. Should have gotten the tilapia, but at least I had FISH!).

Hubby did a light saute in olive oil, made some fresh carrots and fresh spinach, and we had a little bit of pasta with tomato sauce. He even threw some saffron into the tomato sauce - YUM!

I actually ate a whole fillet. You have no idea how big a thing this is for me. This is going to sound strange, but my problem with fish has never really been the taste - it is mental. My mom is not a good cook. Dad used to come home with a big salmon, 5 minutes out of the river. My mom would butcher that thing trying to cook it. And there were always bones, which is where I think my mental block comes from. I remember being terrified as a little kid that I was going to eat or choke on a fish bone. Now, I like the first few bites of fish, but by about the third or fourth, I freak out because "there is FISH in my mouth!" But I did fine yesterday. And it was actually quite yummy.

This is really going to change my life.

Sorry for the long post - I'm just still amazed. Kind of like that darn carrot a couple of nights ago.

-Sara
Rabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

That's excellent! Fish is so diverse, it amazes me how someone can cut it entirely out (myself included). I had bad fish-bone memories as a kid, too. Dad always cooked us freshwater panfish, battered and fried. After about 20 years of fish abstinence, I started adding in salmon and shrimp, and what a treat!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My dad likes to fish too and it definitely took me a long time to get over the debilitating fear of choking to death on fish bones. As a kid, I remember eating fish in the tiniest bites possible (honestly, like 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces) because I was so worried about it. I think I may have laid awake at night worrying about it. I don't know how I got to be so afraid of it--could anyone really choke to death on a single fish bone?

I didn't eat fish for a long time as an adult, but now I've found a couple of recipes that I really like. One thing I like about it is that it is so easy to prepare (assuming you buy it deboned and skinned). No fat to cut off, no chopping--just rinse it off with water and you're done.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't dislike fish, I just don't like it enough to eat it unless there isn't a more palatable option, but hubby adores fish, and really prepares it well, so I'm coming around. I'm still not likely to suggest it, but we're both trying to eat healthy, so we're trying to include at least one fish meal a week (We've only eaten it about twice a month since deciding that, though).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #5  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I never really ate fish. I'd just about weaned myself onto tuna then I went vegetarian. Cynics would say that this was partly to avoid fulfilling my promise to try more fish...
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #6  

Good for you for giving it a try!! I'm glad that you've discovered it's not so bad, after all!

Mild white fish is a great choice to get started - sole, or tilapia as you mentioned. They aren't too "fishy", and you can prepare them so many different ways. I'm so excited for you that you're discovering new tastes to enjoy!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

The "eating fish as a kid" thing had me laughing! I remember the same feeling, terrified that I was going to choke on a bone. My mom took it one step further though; for every piece of fish we ate (which was usually catfish fried in cornmeal) she made us eat a piece of bread in case there was a bone. I guess she thought the bread would magically wrap itself around the fishbone and ease on thru!

I still laugh about that!
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #8  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Good for you for eating the fish, while preggo even! I am not a fish eater either and had code fillets last night. I too was bummed to find out it was not a Super food.
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:37 AM   #9  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Rabbitt, I love reading your posts! Good for you. Is this more difficult or easier than you thought it would be? Seems like you're doing great to me! And yay for you getting hubby to cook those SuperFoods! What does he think of it now? Is he getting into it too?
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote