Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'6

Default MMMM!! Roasted Chickpeas

So I've been meaning to try making roasted chickpeas for like 2 months and I finally did tonight. Yum!!! They are crunchy and roasty and easy to make. They would be a great hors d oeuvre or however you spell it, or a great snack. I just took 1 can of chickpeas, drained, and tossed with some ev olive oil, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper. Then I put them on a cookie sheet and roasted at about 350/400 for 50 mins. I think you could make them without the olive oil, but I figure that is a good fat to have. Has anyone else made these?
Allikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I'm adding that to my list this weekend!! WHOOHOO! you should post this in the recipe sticky section too!
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:47 PM   #3  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Oh boy...these are so tasty. Love them...thanks for reminding me how much I love them...I have to make a batch soon!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:56 AM   #4  

Hmm. Thanks for the idea. BTW, you were right with the spelling!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #5  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I'm making these tonight.

By the way, what is the advantage of kosher salt? I see it mentioned a lot. I don't use much salt in any of my cooking or eat any processed foods with it in so tend to just use the normal stuff when I do because we need some sodium, but I'd be interested to know what the differences are.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'6

I was interested too in the kosher vs table salt, so I went looking. I found this on the Food Network website:

Q: What is the difference between kosher salt, sea salt, and table salt?

A: For the cook's purposes, the main difference between salts is in their texture. Table salt's fine granules dissolve quickly, making it the preferred salt of bakers. Sea salt and kosher salt possess larger, irregular grains that add a delightful crunch and hit of briny flavor when sprinkled on food at the last minute. Generally, savvy cooks prefer kosher salt when cooking, since its coarse texture is easier to take a pinch of when seasoning savory dishes.

Chemically there is little difference between kitchen salts. All are at least 97 1/2 percent sodium chloride. But there are significant differences in the provenance and processing of these salts.

Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits, and includes a small portion of calcium silicate, an anti-caking agent added to prevent clumping. It possesses very fine crystals and a sharp taste. Because of its fine grain a single teaspoon of table salt contains more salt than a tablespoon of kosher or sea salt.

Sea salt is harvested from evaporated seawater and receives little or no processing, leaving in tact the minerals from the water it came from. These minerals flavor and color the salt slightly. However, because these salts often come at a dear price, it is worth keeping in mind that they lose their unique flavor when cooked or dissolved.

Kosher salt takes its name from its use in the koshering process. It contains no preservatives and can be derived from either seawater or underground sources. Aside from being a great salt to keep within arm's reach when you are cooking, it is particularly useful in preserving, because its large crystals draw moisture out of meats and other foods more effectively than other salts.
Allikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #7  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

this sounds delish.. I love chick peas!
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote