Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:32 PM   #16  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quest, that is too funny!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

One thing I don't get is for either Hardees or Burger King, they advertize a smaller, "junior" hamburger. "he" is part of a family of burgers.

There is a commercial where "junior" is caught with a woman....a regular human, non-food item person. This is really wrong to me.

In fast food commercials or almost any kind of food commercial, the people eating the food get odd facial expressions as if they are either very angry or orgasmic about what they are eating. That must be one -good- slice of pizza.

I know that this isn't the intent of the thread, but last night at 11:30 p.m. I decided to come back to weight watchers. Yeah, I'm watching my weight....increase.

And one thing responsible for my girth ( besides me ) is NUTTY BARS! 9 points!! Oh My God!! Heck, if i just stop eating crap and eat better foods, that'll help a lot!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 207/194/155

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Michèle, Food is food and provides calories. Some is healthier and that yoru statement 'but this is food that we can all do without.' is a subjective statement.
I stand corrected: In my opinion, this is food I can do without.

Quote:
It isn't the restaurant (fast food or otherwise)'s responsibility to educate and teach us moderation that is our responsibility.
I wasn't implying that any restaurant ought to educate us about food. But messages on TV can get into our subconscious, affect our attitudes. Yes, some of us take the trouble to be aware and practice moderation (and I certainly don't always take the trouble), but I believe that having so many commercials whose message (explicit or implicit) is that eating choosing foods that are calorie dense and have little nutritional value is a good thing can really affect how people think about food and the choices they make. I don't question the right of restaurants to market their food, but it's unfortunate when those commercials seem to want to change common perceptions about what is a "normal" way of eating. I think some other posters were getting at that, as well. So, yes, it's all about personal accountability, but also, in a society where obesity is epidemic, why glorify and normalize the behaviour that causes it?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #19  
Cowboy Up Chick

I want to add that for the most part the two biggest 'obesity' problems in countries is the US and Canada. This is partly because of 1) our lack of activity and 2) the 'may I super size that for you.' Look at rich food countries such as Italy or France or at simple carb high society such as the Asian countries. For the most part those countries do not have the obesity problems we do. It is not the food's fault but the indivdiual AND societies fault.

Food provides nutrition even a fast food hamburger provides it. It is the SOCIETY's fault not the restaurant's fault. We want more for our money when we purchase anything be it food or material goods. We work hard for our money want want to get the biggest bang out of the buck...restaurants know that thus they market it that way. To get the restaurant advertising to change society needs to change.

I don't mean to argue or try to force my opinion but much of what is here or the way perceived by me is that we want to place the blame on the food industry when in fact it should be placed on the society.

To me (again just my opinion) is the individual needs to be aware and unless you've been living under a rock or in a cave for the past several decades you know that you just cannot have the supersized meals or junk as the majority of your diet to be healthy.

Again not trying to force my views or opinions just voicing them.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #20  
Chicken Wings!

S/C/G: 150/140/130

Height: 5'2"

I agree 100% with you!
I was given a coupon for an Entree at Denny's, buy one get one free, I told my boyfriend it was like buy one heart attack, get one free-no thank you!
I agree about being able to work some of the "untouchables" into any diet, BUT, it does not change the way I view food anymore.
I only have to think once about the HORRIBLE stomach aches (and poops!) I get after eating anything out of the norm for me now, I'd honestly rather stick to my fruits and veggies and grilled chicken!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #21  
Cowboy Up Chick

LoveMyPittBull (BTW they are so cute), But Denny's has some very heart healthy and nutritious meals on their menu?!?!?!!? I know cuz I get them when we go there.
Closed Thread