Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 01:47 PM   #1  

Thumbs down YIKES - I really did it!

I really did it - I went to my first meeting. I plunked down my check and had a stranger weigh me and then proceeded to have quite a nice time! Of course, I joined on a Wednesday and now I have a weekend of parties and BBQs to look forward to (not a usual weekend for me at all!). Those of you who let me know what to expect for my first meeting really helped me out and calmed me down. Now I am ready to begin!!!
Old 08-23-2001, 02:39 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations on taking the first step!

You can survive the parties & BBQ's...just try to imagine what they're going to serve and kind of figure out a "cheat sheet" of different items and points, that way you'll have some sort of idea. When I first started I carried my book with me everywhere and would frantically look up points before I ate something. Planning is key, my advice is to have something to take the edge off of your hunger before you go to the parties, etc. and that'll help you make better choices. If there's something I really want I take a small portion of it, that way I don't feel denied and generally just having a small amount is enough to satisfy the taste for that item. You can do it!
Old 08-23-2001, 07:15 PM   #3  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Good for you! That first step is all important. For the barbecues, follow advice above and think about bringing something that will help you out. For example, an angelfood cake for dessert or a platter of raw veggies with low point dressing in a cup for dipping.
Plan, plan, see yourself succeeding and you'll do fine.~
234/thinner
Old 08-27-2001, 04:49 AM   #4  

I made it through the weekend! And I used your advice - thanks so much. I brought food that I could eat with a sound mind (salads, fruits, baked beans) and even brought a Boca Burger to the BBQ. I totally stayed away from desserts, chips and dips, potato and macaroni salads......... and I lived to tell the tale. Actually, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. It just required extra thought. I couldn't do what I used to "automatically" do, and had to rationally and deliberately choose my meal. And it was very doable. (Is doable a word??)

My first weigh-in (after my initial weigh-in) will be on Wednesday. Part of me is excited, and part of me is nervous. I have been at or under my points all week. I know I know I know that being under in points is not good and can probably be detrimental to my progress, but there is just no helping my time schedule, and truthfully, I wasn't always all that hungry. When I stop eating before I think, I am realizing that much (MOST??) of my weight gain was probably from eating without thinking, and thus eating without truly being hungry. Gee, what a concept!!!

I appreciate the time you take to respond and make me feel better. I am hoping to have the experiences to share so I can do the same to someone else.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:03 AM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations, Wahine! It's not that hard once you plan. I think the planning part is what takes the most time.

Make sure you get your minimum points in...if you find you're consistently staying below points you might want to add some higher point meals so that you can get the minimum in. It's important to get variety and in my opinion vary your points each day. Try to advance plan if you can so that you know where you are point-wise.

I was nervous the first week that I weighed in because I felt that, "how can I lose when I'm eating so much?" The plan is great because you can eat what you like as long as it fits into your daily points. You'll have to let us know how you do this week! Keep up the good work
Old 08-28-2001, 11:18 AM   #6  

Hi Wahine...I have been following your posts, and can really empathize about the scareyness of going off to bar BQs etc. But it sounds as if you did brilliantly! Have you tried making the soup yet? It is really filling, and you can vary the flavours in it with different veggies and spices (eg today I am trying it with some cumin, coriander and cinnamon in.......it may sound weird, but I thought, 'moroccan spice...' Hope Wednesday goes well.

Lilac
Old 08-29-2001, 10:06 PM   #7  

Hi all - many thanks for your encouraging words and ideas. I weighed in today and lost 2 whole pounds! I was a little worried because a few days ago I got on the scale in my bathroom and it didn't look like anything was budging! My leader said I should have my husband hide the scale and then not look for it. I guess the only scale that really matters is the one at my meeting. Anyway, I feel pretty good. I knew I wouldn't be one of those WWers who lose many many pounds the first week because I feel that this way of eating isn't THAT different from what I would normally eat. The real difference is portions and awareness. (Like I'm a pro!)

Lilac, I bought the ingredients for the soup today. I plan to make it "regular" the first time out, but I love your idea on varying the spices and vegetables. What other combos have you found that you liked?? I am a great cook, but not so great at "winging it" I need direction! Thanks for your help.

Wahine
Old 08-30-2001, 04:23 AM   #8  

Wahine, I posted my recipe for butternut squash ginger and cumin no point soup on the soups bit of the ww recipes thread - I had this for lunch yesterday and it was, may I tell you, deelishous .

Another one I used to do was carrot and ginger with fresh thyme and lime....hmm....I will have a think and see if I can remember the recipe and let you know -

Also there is a great book on the market called something like 'the quick after work low fat cook book' by Sue Kreitzman, and she has a recipe for tomato ragout which could be done 'no points'. In fact, put that book on your christmas list, as it is really so good. I think it is available in the USA, otherwise you could try www.amazon.co.uk and I am sure they would ship to the USA (I suppose????).

I have to run now, but I am sure that now you have asked I wont be able to resist showing off with all my yummy recipes.... .......
Old 08-30-2001, 07:28 AM   #9  

Thumbs down

Lilac, Thanks for the tips, especially about the cookbook. I LOVE cookbooks, and can almost read them like novels. I guess that is part of my problem. I have some WW cookbooks, and I have converted all recipes into WW points for those cookbooks that give the pertinant info. I also have a subscription to Cooking Lite magazine and do the same for those. Not that I am that experimental in the kitchen, but I like to think I try. My family will usually eat aything. My kids like salads and most veggies and fruits. My husband made a nice stir-fry for dinner tonight. I am a graduate student and tonight was the first night for one of my classes (which is from 530-700). We will be sharing dinners together in class every week. Something for me to be nervous about as I am sure many people will be doing pizza and things I will be trying to stay away from. I am already planning for my week!

I hadn't noticed earlier that you live in England. Visited there about 8 years ago (can't believe it was that long ago) and totally loved it. We will be visiting Europe this summer (with the kids this time!!) and are trying mightily to make the UK part of it. I live in Hawaii which is beautiful every day, but it is always nice to get to see something new - and maybe even a little cooler weather-wise!!

Have a great day!!!

Wahine
Old 09-03-2001, 04:33 AM   #10  

Wahine, if you love cook books one of the best I know is Nigella Lawson's 'How to Eat'. It is not all low point at all, but she writes so well, and she does have a low fat section.
Lilac
Old 09-04-2001, 05:19 PM   #11  

I am just reporting on the 0 points WW soup that I finally got around to making this weekend. It was really really GOOD!!! I have enough for lunch today. It was perfect for a small bowl before dinner just to "round things off". I am now ready for experimentation. Am already dreaming of new combos. What a find!!! If you havent tried it, you don't know what you are missing - just put in whatever veggies you like!!!
Old 09-04-2001, 10:36 PM   #12  

Default carrot soup

Lilacglitter, I am new here, and I need help. Do you think sometime you could give us the recipe for the carrot soup with ginger? It sounds great! Thanks
Old 09-07-2001, 03:51 AM   #13  

Default Carrot and ginger soup

Yes, its great!
You cut up about 3 or 4 large carrots (depending on how thick you like your soup), and a small onion. Then you get a pint of veg stock (I use marigold bullioun powder, but whatever your favourite brand is). splash a bit of stock in the pan, and put in the onions and carrots and cook (dont brown) until the onions are transluscent (10 mins or so). Then add about one inch cube of fresh ginger, grated, two cloves of garlic (crushed) a few sprigs of fresh thyme (chopped) and the juice of half a lime (and some of the zest too is nice). Add the rest of the stock. Cook it up for another 10 mins or so. Then blend it until smooth, and test for consistancy (add more stock if you need to) seasoning (add salt and pepper if you like), and zing (add more lime juice or ginger, according to your taste).
Yumm!!! And no points! You can make a lot and store it in the fridge, having some for lunch every day - I stir in some ff fromage frais, or ff yoghurt quite often which adds a point but I like the taste. My friend puts some skim milk in at the 'add stock' stage - she does half stock half milk - but I prefer my veg soup to be veg soup and not dairyfied! You can chose - the milk makes it smoother and creamier, but of course, adds points.
Closed Thread