Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #1  

Default Medical Help

Has anyone ever sought help from a doctor for weight loss? If so, was it helpful?

I made an appt. to seen mine on Friday. I have been unable to loss anything for over 9 months. I stick to weight watchers flex plan and exercise 4-6 times per week. I use my 35 points when I go out and I'm sure to eat my AP as well. Still nothing. I am literally at the same weight I was 9 months ago. I lose a few and then gain for no reason.

I had been down to 175 18 months ago and then had back surgery that slowed up my exercise and made me gain 25 lbs over a period of 9 months. Then I went back to my ww plan and routine and thought it would be no problem but it has been the total opposite.

I'm looking to see if something else is going on... any ideas?
Old 03-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #2  
twinsplusone

S/C/G: 288/257/200

It is likely that your doctor will run a hormone and thyroid panel on you. Have you ever had these things checked? You could have a number of hormonal imbalances including hypothyroidism. Common symptoms include cold intolerance and low energy levels.....and then there is the weight issues that come along with it......if that is the issue you will have to go on thyroid stimulating medication for the rest of your life. If that is not the issue, then you and your doctor will discuss things like uping your exercise and keeping a food journal. I'm not sure how overweight you are but unless you have serious underlying health problems, your doctor will not recommend Gastric Bypass unless you are approx. 100 lbs overweight. By underlying problems I mean hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, heart condition, or joint problems associated with obesity. By no means am I a doctor but I am a nurse and have been down this road myself before. I hope this gave you some insight.
GOOD LUCK!!!!
Closed Thread