Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 08:43 PM   #1  

Default WW, Diabetes, And Weight Loss

Hello everyone. I was just curious how many people with diabetes were doing WW and having success or at least feeling better?

I was just (last week) diagnosed with prediabetes. My doctor said to eat around 1200 calories a day and exercise. So I have been thinking about joining WW (online membership) again. I do like the tools on the site.

Anyway, I just thought I would put this out on the boards to see if there were other people on WW with diabetes. Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:22 AM   #2  

Getting this back up front so it can be seen. It got lost in all of the boards.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:37 AM   #3  

Bump
Old 10-13-2005, 12:21 PM   #4  

I have been diabetic for a number of years. Managing it "okay" but still overweight (taking metformin). I started WW 6 weeks ago and have lost 10 pounds. I want to lose weight because I want to be more more active, healthier and because I'm headed to 43 yo and wondering "what the heck happened !!!" Finally, I am taking my life more seriously and doing something about it.

I think what I am liking about WW is the meetings. Getting to know the members in my group and my leader.

A lady in my WW meeting this week said that she has been doing WW for 1 year and she is off her diabetes medication. That was something that perked up my ears.

For myself, I am currently doing flex (I have a "thing" about portion control so it's good for me to have some restraint). I may switch to core because I do have some hypoglycemic reactions sometimes. I need to figure that out.

I did review the eating plan with what my diabetic educator wrote down for me - the biggest thing that I saw was that was different is that a serving of pasta for diabetic is 1/2 cup and WW is 1 cup.

I can't wait to see what my A1C will be. It was "okay" this last time but I think it should be better.

I have about 50 pounds to go.

HTH

Karen
Old 10-13-2005, 12:35 PM   #5  
huntersmommy

S/C/G: 230/230/not sure yet

Height: 5 3/4

my problem is i'm insulin resistant i have something called polycystic ovarian syndrome and that is part of it I used to be on metformin m y current dr refuses to give me a script for it the reproductive endicrinologist put me on it when i was trying to get pg with my son and i tell you after going on the med i felt the best i had felt in years only thing i hated bout the med metformin is the tummy trouble. i still have a way to go with the wait but, i'm border line for diabetes so i have got to lose this weight . so currently i'm not on any meds and the last time my sugar was checked it was doing much better than before so yes i would say its possible to lose the weight and not have to take the meds but, i'm not a dr. either.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #6  

Thanks ladies. I am seriously thinking about doing WW's Flex Plan! I am going to go to there site and check into it again. All I can do is the online membership because the meetings are to far away for me. I wish they would do some meetings here in my town! That would be perfect! Thank you both so much though for all of your help!

I did not know that a serving of pasta for a diabetic was any different then for a regular diet.

I wish my doctors would help me out more! I need more information. I would have thought they would have given me it, but oh well. I will find it all here.

Thanks again so much for all of your help! I sure appreciate it.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:49 PM   #7  

Ask your Dr if there is a diabetic educator or diatician you can get a referral to visit. Depending on your insurance, it may be covered.

That's too bad that you don't have meetings nearby. But, you have us.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:37 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessredtights
Ask your Dr if there is a diabetic educator or diatician you can get a referral to visit. Depending on your insurance, it may be covered.

That's too bad that you don't have meetings nearby. But, you have us.
Thanks so much for your reply. Having you all has been a tremendous help!

My mother in law is making calls for me to the ADA and other diabetic places to get me some information to go on. She is also getting me the blood testing machine too so I can keep track of my blood sugars. I only have a medical card for insurance so I think I am limited. However I may see a different doctor because I think my doctor should have given me much more information and stuff.

Hopefully WW will be in my town one day soon! I sent them a message on there site for that. So maybe one day.
Closed Thread