Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #1  

Question Any advice for Ramadan?

Would anyone be able to give me some advice about being on WW and fasting during Ramadan(Muslim calendar)?

Ramadan is basically a month of fasting, every day the fast begins at sunrise and ends at sunset. Most people wake up very, very early in the morning and have a small meal. I usually don't, but maybe I should consider doing it.Would this be a good time to try out the Core plan? Maybe it is safer to stick with the Flex plan, but will I be able to lose weight?

I was thinking of having a light meal in the early morning, definitely with protein to fill me up. Then at sunset, it would be wise to start off with a salad, since by that time my eyes are hungrier than my tummy

Should I be using all of my flex points, even though I may be eating only 2 meals and a snack?

Has anyone else done this before?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Sofi
Old 09-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #2  
Workin' hard!

S/C/G: 228/228/165

This may be a sensitive subject - and I'm not Muslim, so I'm not sure of all the ins and outs of the tradition.

That being said - I am willing to bet that this time of fasting should be just that - a time of fasting. Don't worry about losing weight. Focus on the Spiritual reasons you're fasting in the first place :c) (Please, please, please don't be offended!)

Only eating 2 times a day (plus a snack) you're going to find it hard to use your flex points, I'm sure. You don't want to pig out, because that's not healthy. Eat what you can, when it's time to eat. Eat until you are full, count your points, continue to journal - because, that is what you should do. But, don't worry about the rest of it. The weight will more than likely come off - you won't be eating very much!

:c)
Old 09-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #3  

Thanks for the advice, and of course, I am not offended in any way

Ramadan is one of my favorite months of the year, but I guess I feel a little guillty about not strictly following the WW program. You are right, I should enjoy the holiday, and once the month is over, back to following WW the right way. I will eat sensibly, and still keep track of my points,even if they are not all used up by the end of the day.

Here is a little info. on our holiday:

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Muslim calendar. The Month of Ramadan is also when it is believed the Holy Quran "was sent down from heaven, a guidance unto men, a declaration of direction, and a means of Salvation"
It is during this month that Muslims fast. Ramadan is a time when Muslims concentrate on their faith and spend less time on the concerns of their everyday lives. It is a time of worship and contemplation.
During the Fast of Ramadan strict restraints are placed on the daily lives of Muslims. They are not allowed to eat or drink during the daylight hours. Smoking and sexual relations are also forbidden during fasting. At the end of the day the fast is broken with prayer and a meal called the iftar. In the evening following the iftar it is customary for Muslims to go out visiting family and friends. The fast is resumed the next morning.

Sofi
Old 09-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #4  
Workin' hard!

S/C/G: 228/228/165

What a beautiful holiday!!!! So, see? Just concentrate less on everyday life, and more on Spiritual matters - that sounds fabulous. We could all do that, Christians, too!!!

Enjoy your holiday, don't worry about not getting in all your points. Spiritual stuff comes first!
That sounds like so much fun - going and visiting friends and family after iftar!

One more thing - how is it pronounced? Ramadan. Rah-mah-dahn. That's sorta how I'm saying it. Is that right?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:31 PM   #5  

Yes that's the right way to pronounce it.

Sofi
Closed Thread