Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 08:36 PM   #1  

Question Any "old" points program users around?

I dug out my old points calculator 3 1/2 weeks ago, determined to lose the 35 lbs I put back on after the glorious low carb trip I took. Low carb was great, until I started slipping. I would do low carb in the morning, then backslide and eat something high carb later. That gradually led me right back into my fat jeans. I finally decided I just liked my carbs too much to give them up for good, so here I am checking out the WW boards and finding I have missed something; namely Flex and Core.

I think I prefer to just do the plain old points tracking and exercise. Is anyone else here following that plan? I do use the calculator, which incorporates fiber grams to arrive at a (lower) point.

So far I have lost about 7 lbs. I lost the first 5 right off the bat, then SLOWLY have lost 2 more. I am working out on my elliptical trainer 6 mornings a week for 20-22 minutes each day. I do feel my clothes are starting to fit again, but I sure would like to see the numbers on the scale drop faster.

I'd love to hear from anyone who can relate to my story

Kathy
Old 01-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

First off POINTS are still with W/W it is called Flex. The no counting type program is Core.

Not sure which version of points you may have been in but they are all basically the same program.

You still have a minimum just like with each of the points programs (with Flex it is called TargetPoint) that you need to eat each day. Those minimum from the older versions based on new research (which proved that 18 points a day was just way too low for the final minimum) is 2 points higher. For example the under 150 group used to be 18-25(1-2-3)/23(Winning) is now 20 TPs a day.

The points you used to be able to bank (between minimum and maximum in the range) is now given to you on day 1 of your week to use as you see fit. Use all of the, some of them, none of them in the week...you can use all 35 (7 days x 5 points from the range = 35 points a week) in 1 day or spread them out.

Activity Points can still be earned but they went back to the old way to keep track of them (back to 1-2-3) where you cannot bank them. If you don't use them on the day you earn them they don't carry over.

Other than what I noted above every other aspect of the program is the same (well except for when they capped fiber due to misuse from 1-2-3 to Winning at 4 grams usable to reduce points).

Here is the info that may help you understand the concept with Core:

What's in the 'Core Plan'

Highlights from Weight Watchers' new program, which promotes food that's big on volume but low in calories.

— Fruits and vegetables: Any plain fresh or frozen items, and anything canned without syrup.

— Protein: Leaner meats. Ham might be OK, bacon and spareribs less so because they are processed or fatty meats.

— Grains: Mostly whole grains -- whole wheat pasta and brown rice, for instance.

— Dairy: Plain, nonfat options should be fine.

— Soups: Broth- and tomato-based items are on the list; cream-based aren't.

— Breakfast cereals: Because they're tempting as a snack, only four made the cut -- puffed wheat and rice, shredded wheat and 100 percent bran.

— Healthy oils: A couple teaspoons of heart-healthy options are allowed, such as canola or olive oil.

— No-nos (for lack of a better term but can be used from the 35 WPA): Foods likely to become nutritional crutches -- many unsweetened cereals, white rice, nonfat fruit yogurt.

Weight Watchers has unveiled a program that focuses on nutritious food that fills stomachs without packing on calories. The new program resembles certain other diet programs, notably the Volumetrics weight plan, in that it focuses on high-volume foods with a low energy density.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:03 AM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisysmom
I think I prefer to just do the plain old points tracking and exercise. Is anyone else here following that plan? I do use the calculator, which incorporates fiber grams to arrive at a (lower) point.
All the point programs have used this from way back when it first came on the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisysmom
So far I have lost about 7 lbs. I lost the first 5 right off the bat, then SLOWLY have lost 2 more. I am working out on my elliptical trainer 6 mornings a week for 20-22 minutes each day. I do feel my clothes are starting to fit again, but I sure would like to see the numbers on the scale drop faster.
Without out knowing a bit more about the program you are doing (1-2-3; 10%; Winning; Flex) it is hard to determine what if anything you are doing wrong however remember that the average loss OP is .5-2 pounds a week (Flex or Core). Are you eating your APs? Eating at least a minimum TPs a day?

Here is some things to look at to analyze the program:

1) Where in your points range are you eating? Most people find they lose better when eating mid-range to high-range. Especially if you are exercising you need to eat toward the high end and not the low end. The reason is because your body thinks it is starving and slows down your metabolism and holds on to the calories you intake.

2) What are you spending your points on? Review the POINTSPIES (Also make sure you get in some REAL fat (butter, margarine, mayo, real salad dressing, etc). I had subconsciously removed almost all fat from my diet and had plateaued for SIX (count them 6) months. Make sure you get in some fat and it should be healthy fats such as olive oil, flax seed oil, etc.

3) Are you drinking your water?

4) Are you eating alot of processed foods (canned, frozen, etc.) which contain alot of sodium which causes water retention. What about diet sodas? They can cause bloating and water rentention.

5) Are you exercising? Have you taken your measurements to see if you are building muscle while losing? Remember muscle weighs 2.2 times more than fat volume for volume (this means for a 3”x3” piece of muscle and a 3”x3” piece of fat the muscle will be 2.2 times heavier). If you are exercising remember to eat high in your point range.

6) Are you journaling? This includes every BLT (bite, lick and taste). Those BLTs can add up in 'hidden' points. My leader suggested for each BLT or freebie to put a tick mark in your journal and for each 4-5 add 1 point to your day.

7) Are you calculating points correctly? Ninety percent of new members don't count points correctly. I have a favorite muffin and until last week (I've been on program for almost 2 years) I just realized my 3 point muffin is really 6 points because it is 2 servings. Make sure you use the nutritional information rather than the 'generic' list W/W puts out. You'll find alot of differences.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:03 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Also review the points pies to see how you are spending your points.

Points Pies

Balanced (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8-9 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 6-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day
Milk and Milk Products – 4-6 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Protein (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 5-6 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 9-11 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-1 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-4 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Carb (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 9-10 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 5-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 1-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 1-2 points a day

20-28 points a day

-----

Balanced (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 11 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 10 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 3-4 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Protein (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 12 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 2-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 4-5 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Carb (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 13 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 8 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 2-4 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 3 points a day

30-34 points a day
Old 01-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #5  

Kathy, I have been a WW Lifetime Member, let it all slip as I thought I could "do it on my own", etc. I was doing Atkins, So. Beach and a few other things for awhile and couldn't stick with it and feel good either physically or mentally about what I was doing to my body. You are not alone, by the way, and I keep hearing on the news that low carb is now "out" and all the recent studies and reports show that in maintenance, ww leads the pack!
What I mean by maintenance is keeping the weigh you lose off. All of the plans "out there" offer weight loss, some quicker than others, but by far in studies more people KEEP the weight off if they stick with WW. But, I must stress (after learning the hard way and more than once) that in order to keep the weight off you must continue to go to meetings and continue to practice the "rules". WW calls this a "lifetime program" and I know, this time, I am in this for life.
I wish you success! I hope you can make this work. If you are trying to do this on your own, though, I urge you to go to ww meetings, as I truly feel the group support is really important, not just the programs.
Linda
Old 01-04-2005, 03:41 PM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

derrydaughter, while I echo your sentiment about meetings (actually I just got to weigh in) not everyone needs them. There are many successful at homers and/or onlilnes with W/W programs.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #7  

Thanks for all the great information. I better understand the changes WW has made. I am eating a balanced "pie," and exercising; however, I am eating at the lower end of my point range instead of the higher. I will step it up a couple of points. I am also journaling, drinking lots of water, and avoiding too much caffeine, but I doubt I have been getting enough real fat into my diet - so I will add that too. Thanks so much for the support. Is there a place on this board to post your daily menus for review by other members?
Old 01-05-2005, 09:39 AM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Just start a menu thread and people will help.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #9  

Hello Everyone,
I am a lifer with WW and am so disappointed in myself. I reach my goal a year ago this past Oct. and I now must lose the 30 something I put back on. It took me awhile to adjust to the Flex points program I never really switched from the previous program I was too afraid of getting carried away. Although I have put on wt I still try to eat the right things, I didn't get totally carried away. I have been going to the gym since I reached my goal and I think the intial 10 I put on was from muscle but that sure isn't the excuse now. I am trying to do this again without going to meetings because the leader where I was changed just over a year ago and I just can't get into the new one and I have tried for a year. I tried another meeting in a different town after going 3 weeks it shut down.
So here I am trying on my own and maybe coming here will help, I do not intend on putting it all back on I have come to far and made too many improvements to my life. I will give myself 2 weeks and then if I can't do it I will just have to go back to the old meetings. For me to go to another town is just too far away 45mins each way.
I hope you all have a good week and I will stop by often.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #10  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollar
I have been going to the gym since I reached my goal and I think the intial 10 I put on was from muscle but that sure isn't the excuse now.
Has your size changed with this gain? I mean if you are gaining muscle (and/or losing fat with it) you should be getting smaller. If you are getting smaller then I wouldn't worry about the adjustment in muscle to fat ratio. If your size isn't changing then something needs to be looked at.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:26 AM   #11  

The intial wt gain I wasn't worried about but what has happened since is my own doing but I feel like I am back on track nownand hopefully I will syary seeing results soon.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:51 PM   #12  
Back fat Be Gone!

Default I use old WW Points / Dollar for you too

First, Dollar keep up the good work in the gym, I'm a nursing student and have taken numerous nutrition classes. If there is one thing that I learned is that the more muscle you have in your body the faster your metabolism will be. So not only are you toning up, you are speeding up your metabolism naturally. I did WW last year and lost 24 lbs before my wedding, I kept pretty much of it off, but did gain about 11 lbs back after my wedding (don't most of us). After the stress of planning the wedding went away I could finally eat again, and boy did I. But back on the plan and setting new goals.

Daisysmom, I love the old point system, it's easy to follow and has always worked for me. I don't do meetings, I find this site to be great support, plus I've dragged a friend into starting with me. I never did do meetings, I originally signed up for it online, got the hang of it, bought the points books on ebay, then cancelled the online membership and did just fine. I knew someone going to meetings so I had them pretend that they lost their points calculator card and they picked me one up for $3. I just started Tuesday so haven't had a weigh in yet, but I'm excited to see how I'm doing. I did try the Southbeach diet back in September, and that is just pure torture with limited and only expensive foods to chose from. Plus I'm picky so all the recipes were grosse to me. And after I quit it I went into a wild feeding frenzy, but I will say that I still am down about two pounds so I didn't gain all the weight back and I would have been down four pounds still if I didn't have xmas at my house.......damn leftovers.

If you really need some kind of meetings or support and don't want to do the drive to the next town, the WW online worked really good for me and it is pretty cheap. You get addicted to tracking your points and weight online, plus it has other handy tools to use. Or if you don't want to pay at all there is a site that I love called www.journaltosuccess.com and is free. It also has a points tracker, weight tracker, and exercise log. I haven't been to the site in about a couple months, so I don't know if WW has shut it down yet, but it really helps.
Good luck to you

Last edited by sugarholic; 01-16-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #13  
Back fat Be Gone!

Default wrong address

In the message above I originally posted the wrong address for the point tracking site, but I have changed it to the correct one, so give it a try.
Closed Thread