Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2001, 10:01 PM   #1  

A coworker trying to lose weight for a wedding by simply not eating has lost substantially more than I have doing WW. I know I'm doing the right thing by losing weight healthfully and sensibly but it's so hard to see her shrinking and being praised on how great she looks. I'm really quite jealous. Can anyone talk some sense into me and help me with some perspective?
Old 05-05-2001, 10:31 PM   #2  

Default Won't last !

Her weight loss that is ! I've done the starvation thing so many times over the
years for an occasion and the joke was always on me. As soon as your co-worker
goes to the wedding then starts eating again believe me she'll gain what she
lost and then some.Its a proven fact starving to lose is only temporary ...SOOOO
pat yourself on the back for eating sensibly so you can get your weight off
slowly so it will stay off. Don't waste another minute being jealous of something
that is not only foolish but temporary...take it from someone whos been there : (
Old 05-05-2001, 10:45 PM   #3  

I totally agree with Magpie. She is only interested in getting thinner for the wedding. You, on the other hand, will be thin for life because you will learn a new, healthier, more sensible way of eating. Don't be jealous of her. Stay on program and you will soon reach your goal. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-05-2001, 11:18 PM   #4  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

Not only will she most likely gain it back quickly, she will find it harder to lose weight the next time a special occasion comes along. And, she will not look as good as you do because you cannot starve yourself without having consequences show up in your skin, your hair, your general appearance.

You're better off thinking long term. It's nice to hear her getting complimented, but think how much better you'll feel about the compliments you will get in the future, especially since you will not only be thin, but healthy looking. You'll be glowing and you won't gain it back.

Lin
Old 05-06-2001, 06:35 AM   #5  
Hip Highland Chick

Default Don't lose sight of the big picture!

You're in this for YOU, not just for an event.

Short-Term Goals = Short-Term Results

Lifetime Goals = Lifetime Results

I don't know about you, but Lifetime sounds ALOT better to me!

Hang in there!
Old 05-06-2001, 10:10 AM   #6  

Oh slinko, I know how you feel. It's hard when you know you're doing the right thing and someone else, who isn't, gets all the praise and attention. Listen to what everyone has said here. They are all so right. I have lost weight both ways and the slow healthy way is by far the best. Right now I'm trying to rebuild all the muscle that I've lost while starving my body, not to mention losing the fat again. Just remember that as soon as she starts eating again she'll gain that weight right back. Before you know it your jealousy will be gone and you'll feel sorry for her because she will be the jealous one.

Take care,
Rachel
Old 05-06-2001, 10:51 AM   #7  

Default rebuild muscle...how ?

I am a prime example of how damage is done when crash dieting to lose weight fast by not
eating. I decided in Jan 99 I wanted to lose weight FAST so thats literally what I did.
I stopped eating exept for apples and water for longer than I care to admit and my breasts lost EVERY bit of muscle and to put it bluntly it looks like someone let the air out of them...unfortunately I'm not joking. My doctor told me it was due to starvation and this is what this lady is headed for if she doesn't eat properly. I'm sharing this with you so you will realize the importance of losing weight properly. I would give anything to have my breasts firm once again but will not have surgery so I'm afraid I will have to live with this constant reminder of the harm I did by choosing quick weight loss over sensible eating. I'd appreciate it if any of you could would be able to suggest any thing I could do to rebuild the muscle.
Old 05-06-2001, 05:03 PM   #8  

Default To Aggravated

I think the big and most important reason you don't want to lose weigh rapidly is for health reasons not vanity. Your body can go into starvation mode and different organs could shut down. You didn't put this weight on in a few weeks and it can't just drop off in a few weeks without doing damage. If you follow the plan and drink lots of water you will get to where you want to be. You should be learning as you drop the pounds, how to keep the weight off and eat healthier. Who needs the wrinkles of rapid weight loss.
Old 05-07-2001, 09:59 AM   #9  

Hi Slinko-- All of these ladies are on the right track. Don't worry about anyone else but yourself.. You are losing the wt for yourself only. The fellow co-worked will probably gain all the wt back and more. AND she will be stuck with a new dress she can't wear. Keep doing your thing and you will be able to empty your closet for a several new things. You will be healthy and able to stay that way. I have done it all ,pills to starvation . It doesn't work. Healthy eating habits is the way to go.
Be yourself . To heck with the world. They won't pay your bills . Love Yourself... Do I sound like a mom... This is some of the things I told my own children.
Have A Great Day
Joanne
Old 05-07-2001, 05:27 PM   #10  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default so short term

All these ladies are so right! It is definatly short term, and she is definetly going to have consequenses for starving and loosing it the wrong way.

Congratulations for doing it the right way. You will be the one the co-workers are going to awe over!

Angie
Closed Thread