Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 04:09 PM   #16  

A lot of intelligent thoughts here.

I feel right at home on CORE - the foods are the ones I've been eating most of my life. It's like being told to go back to eating comfort foods, beans, grains, root vegetables, eggs, and fat-free dairy. On the other hand, years of WW "point programs" have taught me a lot about portion control so I could subsist on CORE without a huge increase in calories.

As so many have already said, isn't it nice to have two flavors to choose from? And even if only a few folks are on CORE, if it works for them, what difference does being in the minority make?

I'm going to use CORE as a lifelong guide to healthy eating. Unless something better comes along...
Old 01-09-2005, 12:54 PM   #17  
Married to the USAF

Location: Misery... Uh, I mean Missouri... Moving to Germany in December '05

I just started CORE on January 1st... My first weigh-in showed a 9 pound loss, AND I kicked my sugar, chocolate, and junk food cravings already!!! I was a huge sugar junkie, so that is why I chose CORE. It helped me focus on whole, non-processed foods because I knew I would sneak in microwave meals, lots of desserts, and stuff like that on FLEX... That is just me knowing myself. I also do not have a problem with eating too much... I know when I am satisfied, so this program seems tailor made for me. People who have problems knowing when they are satisfied may very well be better on FLEX, since FLEX is about portion control.

CORE- sugar and junk control
FLEX- portion control

So I think both are awesome, but need to be well matched to meet your specific needs and weaknesses. People who do well on FLEX can probably have one cookie and not go nuts with cravings for more... They can eat a night out at Micky D's and not totally fall of the wagon due to wicked junk food cravings. People who do well on CORE probably know their satisfaction limits, but have some serious sugar or junk food issues.

That is my story, and I am sticking to it! After years of eating fast food almost EVERY DAY and eating candy bars after every dinner (sometimes for dinner, yuck!) I finally have ZERO cravings for that cr@p! I am cooking up the most delicious CORE meals (and I am NOT a cook, I HATE cooking), my mood is wicked HIGH, and I am dropping pounds like I had never dreamed!

If I ever get sick of CORE, or maybe stall... Who is to say that I won't try out FLEX again (I tried it last year, and failed miserably... How many points are in this candy bar? lol). But for now, I am a CORE girl.

Candy
Old 01-09-2005, 01:11 PM   #18  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy76
CORE- sugar and junk control
FLEX- portion control
I disagree to an extent...Flex if done as it was truly written and using treats as an occasional thing can be just as sugar and junk controling as people say Core is.

Flex is not only portion control but if you follow it as it was truly written can be as healthy or not as healthy as the individual wants it to be.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #19  
Married to the USAF

Location: Misery... Uh, I mean Missouri... Moving to Germany in December '05

The same could be said for CORE then... If followed as it is truly meant to be followed, the person will stop eating when satisfied. What I am saying is that when people have real problems with one of those aspects I mentioned (portion control vs. sugar addiction), one MIGHT be better suited for that person. Both work if followed exactly as meant to be, but the key is finding one that you CAN follow as meant to be... As a sugar addict, I find it easier to follow CORE to the "T"... On FLEX, I know it would work if I "could" do it just as suggested, but the problem is not personally being able to follow it. With CORE, I can.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:37 AM   #20  
Cowboy Up Chick

Candy I hope you don't think I was trying to argue. Both programs can be followed closely or not. My friend (white pasta and white rice are not binge items for her) doesn't following as exact as it is written...she eats white pasta and rice as is written for the whole wheat pasta and brown rice.

What I mean is if everyone would follow the program as it truly was intended using the fast food, junk as options not staples everyone would have been better off and no hunger.

Truly I think W/W needed to stress more of the core foods in Flex/Winning/10%/1-2-3 instead of keep saying YOU CAN EAT ANYTHING the whole program would have been better off.

The best think I like about Flex is may ability to eat out like a normal person...Core makes me feel like a freak in dining out. Yes I know that many feel the opposite. It is an individual thing.

I still feel most people who are just starting on a weight loss program need some guidance in what a normal serving looks like first then can move on easier to learning to listen to their body on the satisfaction levels. That is just my opinion (however after talking to several leaders it appears W/W recommends that too -- )

The biggest thing I disagree is 'A SUGAR ADDICTION' as there is not scientific research the addiction. I know that people call it an addiction but it is a 'taste' we enjoy and it comes from the mothers milk which is sweet and it carries over into the person over the course of their life. I don't thing Core 'cures' the sugar but can lessen the want for it because "it does not allow" unless you choose to use some WPAs for it.

Last edited by Kelly_S; 01-10-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #21  

Height: 5'7"

I'm switching to Flex (or actually Flore) for a few weeks to see if I can budge. The last few pounds just aren't moving, despite drinking my water and sticking to the Core foods list ... well, to a great extent. I am still allowing myself a daily coke.

I'm really having trouble getting enough calories and still sticking to my points. Today is 20 points but only 938 calories. If I up it to 1200 calories, which is supposedly the minimum, it ends up being 26-27 points.

How does everybody balance the two?
Old 01-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #22  
Cowboy Up Chick

Well if you look at the general info on Points to Calories it goes like this:

18 points = 1050 calories
20 points = 1150 calories
22 points = 1250 calories
24 points = 1350 calories
26 points = 1450 calories
28 points = 1550 calories
30 points = 1650 calories
32 points = 1750 calories
34 points = 1850 calories
35 points = 1900 calories (Weekly Points Allowance)
36 points = 2050 calories

Remember this is not always true but a good guide and DOES NOT include the 200-250 calories a day W/W built into the program for free veggies.

Now remember that high fiber reduces the points and high fat increases the points so those are two factors that play into this so these are only general guidelines.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #23  

Well then ... I think I might be okay. I have several low calorie, high fiber foods so I guess my points are being lowered by them. I don't think I'll start worrying unless I gain or completely stall for weeks on end.

Thanks, Kelly!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #24  
Cowboy Up Chick

Have you tracked your calories also? Are you eating things that maybe like 25-35 calories where even if you doubled it it would still be 1 point? If so maybe you should track those as 1/2 points...just a thought.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #25  

I think you just figured out my problem! I've been rounding up to 1 pt on lots of the smaller foods, and should probably be counting it as 1/2. I'm going back to see now. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
Old 01-10-2005, 05:13 PM   #26  
Cowboy Up Chick

Many times many people have a lot of very low calories points that do come out to 1 point on the slider but if they did 2 of them it is still 1. I always double the cal/fat/fiber and then see if it still comes out to 1 and if it does many times I'll just count 1/2 a point.
Closed Thread