Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 07:55 AM   #1  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Question

Is it true that when you are on your period you weigh more? My monthly friend just stopped by for a visit and I wiegh in this morning. ANy thoughts?

Thanks,

Angie
Old 04-25-2001, 08:32 AM   #2  
imaleader

Default Yes...

The awful truth is that for many women, they only have one good weigh in week a month as a result of hormone cycles. For some, the 2 weeks before and the week during are water retention events that occasionally compete w/ losses at the scale. This is not to say that you have not lost FAT in that time, but water, weighing in sometimes from 1 to 5 pounds for some women, makes it appear as if they haven't lost weight. It largely depends on your individual cycle length; how much weight you need to lose, and whether or not you are pretty good about drinking all the water. Water itself is a diuretic if consumed in large enough quantities (don't flood yourself -- 6 glasses a day should do it). So, be patient. More likely than not, your weight would have reflected an increase LAST week in preparation for today's friendly visit. Generally, by the time it comes down, the water weight is gone. But again, only you know your cycle. I used to gain NO weight in PMS. Now, it's as much as 3 or 4 pounds. then in the following week it's all gone. Let us know how you do at the scale. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2001, 04:57 PM   #3  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Well, I lost a pound and a half, and feeling pretty good about it. thanks for your reply imaleader!!
Old 04-25-2001, 05:31 PM   #4  
cookies are for browsers

Hello,

Just FYI there are some women who gain and lose weight not only with their TOM but with ovulation as well. For these women, it might be prudent to judge how you are doing by measurements and clothing, not necessarily the scale.

And it isn't just 1-5 pounds; it can be a lot more than that. Mine is usually 9-16 pounds. It's one reason I'm doing WW at home. Water intake doesn't seem to matter, but a reduction in salt consumption usually reduces the gain.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2001, 09:34 AM   #5  
imaleader

Default Ovulation IS TOM

Jennifa: The cycle, called menstruation, begins as day 1, when you get your period. Approximately 2 weeks later on average, is when ovulation occurs. This is when most women actually start gaining weight -- water retention, from hormonal surges, in preparation for the subsequent two weeks when they are actually menstruating. Everyone goes through it differently -- but let's not "differentiate" ovulation, 2 weeks prior to the actual onset of menstruation, from the menstrual cycle. They are synonymous.

Momof2Girls: Congrats! See? If you keep going the way you are, you'll be fine... Good luck on your progress and great to hear you're doing so well.

Old 04-26-2001, 11:13 AM   #6  
Senior Tortoise

Jennifa, I'm like you -- I gain weight during ovulation, hold it for about a week, then drop it about a day or two before my TOM weight gain starts! (Imaleader, I'm not sure if you're new here, but in case you are, "TOM" refers to "Time of the Month" or one's period, not the menstrual cycle as a whole. As I read it, Jennifa wasn't confusing the two.)

It does get depressing. I'm working toward weighing myself only once a month, after my period finishes. Otherwise my weight losses appear to be so slow as to be nonexistant. I didn't use to be like this; my cycles (menstrual and weight-loss) have changed with age, I guess.

--Lauren
Old 05-03-2001, 08:51 AM   #7  

Your body has probably just been doing this every month for a long time but because you are trying to lose weight now, you notice it more.

It is a fact of life for most women. All the others offered good tips on dealling with it. But many months I find the best tactic on dealing with it is to just not let it bother me. I know things will be better next week, so what is the point of worrying about it. If you weigh less today than you did 30 days ago, you are doing something right and you should not obsess about the ups and downs in between.
Closed Thread