Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 07:40 AM   #1  
Determined Chick!

Any suggestions out there on how to manage diabetes using WW 123? A good friend of mine has been trying the program
with weight loss success, but has been having problems with high blood sugar. She doesn't want to quit the program, but
feels it offers a little too much freedom. It would be helpful to her to hear from other diabetics who are using 123.

Old 04-18-2001, 08:45 AM   #2  
Stressed but Sane

Holly, WW is very compatible with diabetes management---but counting points alone won't do it. If your friend is following 1 2 3, she'd probably do best to "eat by the numbers," with some modifications (such as avoiding foods known to cause rapid increases in blood sugar, or limiting them to within the context of a meal that will delay the release of glucose). This is similar to the diabetic exchange system, and helps ensure that points are spread across the food groups in the right proportion. (The recommended distribution of foods across food groups really isn't different for diabetics than it is for the rest of us; the AMA, AHA, ADA, and most of the major health-promoting agencies make virtually identical dietary recommendations in an effort to prevent disease.) Additionally, she might want to familiarize herself with the glycemic indices of foods---it makes it easier to assess whether a food is apt to cause a rapid increase in blood sugar.

If she has not already done so, it would be a really good idea for her to ask her physician for a referral to a registered dietician with LOTS of experience with diabetes (there are still a lot out there who cannot think beyond the pre-printed, aged diet handouts) or a diabetes educator. She should take her WW materials, past food journals and exercise records, and, if she keeps track, records of her blood glucose levels along with her so that the advisor has as much information at his/her fingertips as possible. Most HMOs have very good diabetes education programs, and can provide a wealth of information. The American Diabetes Association (1-800-DIABETES) can provide info, and the American Dietetic Association's website (www.eatright.org) has a ton, too.

There are several things your friend might address with the dietician, diabetes educator, or doctor. Among these are the timing of meals and snacks, which can really impact overall control. She might also discuss an appropriate exercise program---in non-insulin-dependent diabetics, exercise can be the most effective tool for reining in blood sugar. Other things to bring up with a qualified health professional: what to do on "sick days," when she cannot eat according to the recommendations; and how to adjust food intake to compensate for exercise.
Old 04-19-2001, 04:10 PM   #3  

Default WW 123 and Diabetes

Hi! I'm a insulin-depended diabetic for the past 23 years. I have been on the WW program for the past 13 weeks and have lost 13.4 lbs. I only lost .2 over the holidays. But your friend must be eating alot of things with added sugar or starchy things with natural sugar in them. I use to take two shots aday with two kinds of insulin. After the 2nd week of OP I had to stop taking the pm shot. I have cut back on my insulin amount alot. I have too LOW sugar now. My blood pressure has dropped alot also. Tell her just because she can have anything she wants as long as she counts her points doesn't mean she can go crazy and not watch her sugar and starch intake. I can not have alot of bread and some fruits because my blood sugar does elevate alot. I eat alot of SF jello and puddings. I look at the sugar grams in each product when I'm checking the calories, fat and fiber. Is she needs to ask me any particular question I would be glad to help her if I can. Weight loss on WW is a slow process for a diabetic. Tell her good luck and watch everything.
Peggy
Old 04-23-2001, 12:22 AM   #4  

I'm also a diabetic. (type 2 for 19 years, insulin dependent for 8) I have been on the WW program for 15 months. I have to be very careful with my portion sizes of complex carbohydrates. Fruit or milk products raise my blood sugar very fast and even things like carrots that have a lot of natural sugar. I love popcorn, but that raises my blood sugar really fast too. You can't have some of low point snacks most people get to eat because of the carbohydrates and amount of sugar.

I had to do a lot of experimenting at first and I also talked to my diabetes educator and endocrinologist about the program. It has worked for me. I went from 4-5 shots a day to 1 most days now. Once in a while I have to take 2. I've lost 75 pounds.
Old 04-23-2001, 07:21 AM   #5  

A fellow teacher with insulin dependent diabetes is considering joining WW with me and has talked to her diabetes educator. I know they have changed some things in her diet around so that she can stay within her points comfortably, but not do the spiking so much. I think it is critical that the WW leader know everyone's health situation, regardless of what it is, in order to design the best program for everyone.

Elaine
Old 04-24-2001, 10:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/214/150

Height: 5'0"

Default WW 123 and Diabetes

There is a wonderful new magazine published by Reiman Publications. It's Taste of Home's Light and Tasty magazine. I have received the first two publications and have made at least 13 recipes from each magazine in the past couple of months. The recipes are easy and economical. My family has LOVED every recipe. Best of all, each recipe gives the nutritional information including calories, fat and fibre content to make it easy to calculate the points. As well diabetic exchanges are given! I have been telling so many people about the magazine I think I should be making commissions!
Closed Thread