Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 09:24 AM   #1  

Default I'm thinking of rejoining WW but.....

I am really afraid to do it again. I've been on and off WW so many times but now my weight is at an all time high of 169. I hate to spend the money again if I can't stick to it but obviously whatever I am doing now is not working. I'm really afraid to tell my husband that I want to do it again. He's not supportive at all of these diet programs, mostly because I don't stick to them. I think I need to find some support from somewhere else.

I have PCOS and hypoglycemia which makes it extremely hard to lose weight. Has anyone else been on and off WW a lot and is now sticking with it and succeeding??
Old 06-10-2004, 09:35 AM   #2  

Well.... What's your definition of success? I've been on and off over the past year. Last night was my first WI and I lost 4.5#.

My hubby was not very supportive at first either. He just didn't think that I would do it and insisted I try First Place instead. We finally compromised and I am doing WW and going to the First Place meetings. He has joined with me, but still doesn't think I will be committed.

I say do it and prove it to him. The proof is in the (fat free) pudding. He'll come around. You can get lots of support here!

230.5/224/150
Old 06-10-2004, 11:05 AM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Maybe you will be able to stick to it this time if you reassess what your priorities and goals are.

I am on my second round of WW. This time I said to myself that I am not just doing it to lose weight. I am doing it for health reasons and to take care of myself. My goal is not to just lose weight but to become a lifetime member. I have stuck to it for a year now and I am only 5lbs from my goal weight in order to acheive lifetime membership

How I got my DH on board was to tell him that we need a lifestyle change not a diet and that I needed his help with this in order to stick to it. This meant me cooking healthier meals, keeping good healthy snacks in the house and him not enabling me to eat junk food. He has slowly come around and now chips and cheese puffs are not a regular item on our grocery list

Maybe if you do things like write up menus, take before pictures set yourself up a binder to hold your WW materials, set yourself up an exercise schedule etc. It will show him that you are serious about this and that you have a plan of action. The only thing is that you will have to make the commitment to yourself and follow through with it.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:39 PM   #4  

Thanks for the encouraging words from both of you. I think that I have to rejoin WW. Nothing else is working for me. With my hypoglycemia problems it will be slow going, but the scale going down slowly is better than going up slowly.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:25 AM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

If he isnt supportive you be supportive of yourself. Do it for you. You could always join online or get the at home information and use this board and other W/W boards for support.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:08 PM   #6  
Running Babe

Jojo: I suffer from hypoglycemia too (and have nasty binging problems). It's tough, but my main suggestion would be to eat 5-6 times a day and make sure try to never eat a carb alone (like have a piece of string cheese or a 1/2 ounce of nuts with a fruit). I find that helps a lot. I would also try and factor in flex and activity points in daily.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 06-17-2004, 07:38 AM   #7  

emerald - can you tell me a little more about the first place program? I have only seen one line descriptions of the program. I am just curious. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:32 AM   #8  

Well, I haven't joined yet but I'm thinking that I just have to go for it. I'm gaining weight like crazy, I'm at my heaviest wt. ever and ......time to put on a bathing suit and sit with my skinny friends on a beach! yeah!

The hypoglycemia is awful. Most of the websites about hypo. advise you to cut out as much refined sugar and refined carbs. as possible. I'm thinking the way to go is do WW but also eat like you're on the South Beach diet. (Not the first 2 weeks, no carbs will just kill me). But the rest of the S.B.D. book makes sense. Eat healthy proteins, low fat mostly. Eat whole grains and veggies and fruits. The thing is, I'm really afraid that my hypo. problems are leading to diabetes and if I can't control my hypo. with diet and exercise how would I control diabetes?

JoAnn
Old 06-18-2004, 10:15 AM   #9  

Sure, CJ. First Place is a program started by a First Baptist church in Texas in the early 80's, I think. It uses the food exchange system (similar to Deal-A-Meal). I don't like that part. I have done it before and hated it. I like WW points better for me.

But I love the other parts of FP. We meet at the church once per week. The other aspects are exercise, Bible study, memory verses, calling someone to support them, drinking water, and prayer. I really do like the bible study because it works on the inner me - not just about food and weightloss.

Hope this info helps. You can also check Firstplace.com

JoAnn - You know, you won't get where you want to go if you don't take that first step. But if you aren't ready to commit to it, it will be hard to be successful.

My friend had to stop sugar and caffiene and limit flour for health reasons. She does great for a few weeks and then has a bad eating week. But she says that she feels much better. Good luck.
Closed Thread