Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 12:54 AM   #1  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Unhappy

Hi, everybody. I've posted here before, about a year ago. I've joined, then dropped out, and rejoined again more times than I can remember. It's about four times a year for about the past four years. I always have the best intentions, of course, but I'll start, and the not lose much for the first week or two and childishly say "the heck with it," or Something Happens (last time: a sprained ankle the next day).

Anyway, I want to start back again this week but I'm a bit nervous. I wonder if anyone else has been in the situation? The last time I registered was ten weeks ago. When I walked in, the receptionist said, "Oh, don't bother to fill out a card. Your old one is in the box." She said it very loudly--and she was right. My old card was still in the box.

Will they let me rejoin after ten weeks? Aside from telling the receptionist "stuff it" if she makes a comment, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you! (I have kept reading the boards, even though I haven't been "on program" for more than six days at a clip, and I know YOU all are all-forgiving

Xan
Old 04-08-2001, 02:38 AM   #2  
Pink Thingy

Smile Just Do It...

Xan

Just ignore everyone's comments and rejoin just for you - the same people that make the same sarcastic comments are the same people who will be telling you how wonderful you look when you start losing weight.

Just go back with your head held high, coz you are doing this for you and no one else.

By the way, this is my third time rejoining and in the past I gave up because I would lose either very slowly or gain and then not want to go back. However this time, I am not comparing my weight loss to anyone else. Slow and steady wins the race I say and the weight did not appear on me overnight, so realistically I can't expect it to vanish overnight.

Go back and keep posting here. I wish you every success

Last edited by BigFatBooty; 04-08-2001 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2001, 08:31 AM   #3  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default I agree!

Just do it for yourself!

We have all felt you you are feeling. I wasn't sure if I was going to go back (this is my 3rd time too) thinking...but I wasn't able to do it then...what makes me think I can do it now?

Then I stopped and realized how many people all around me were doing it and that hey, YES this is something I can do. Sure, it is HARD but there are so many people here and at the meetings that are there to help you! you have found the MOST supportive board!

Don't think about the past times you have been there, but instead focus on your goal. Look ahead. Don't set a huge goal this is unattainable....take baby steps, and when you reach those baby step goals reward yourselves. And WRITE these goals down where you will be reminded of them.

With each glass of water you drink, with each morsel of food you record... remember you are that much closer to obtaining your goal. Do it, rejoin, and do it for yourself!!

(hugs)
Angie
Old 04-08-2001, 10:33 AM   #4  

xan

As a lifetime member who has been back sooooooo many times, I urge you to get back. We all know this program works if you work it. Try something different. When I went back THIS time, I purchased the new 12 week journal just to have something different about the program. I decided I had to do something because none of my clothes were fitting anymore.

You have to do this for you. Just ignore what they say or even try a different meeting. Sometimes that can help.

Good luck and keep us posted

Felicia
Old 04-08-2001, 10:40 AM   #5  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Default Thank you, but still a question

Thank you all very much for your encouragement. But I still am not sure if it's OK to rejoin after ten weeks. Do you have to be "off the wagon" for a certain amount of time before they let you back?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Xan
Old 04-08-2001, 11:07 AM   #6  

Thumbs down

Great advice here! Xan, I don't think there's any "waiting period" in order to rejoin. Just do it! Congratualtions on making the decision!
Old 04-08-2001, 11:21 AM   #7  

Or don't rejoin...There are some of us who do better without the meetings. I finally figured out that, for me, the requirement to attend the weekly meeting was a factor (admittedly one of many) in my past failures with WW. I ended up doing the program on my own, with materials from my past attempts, and finally made it. I ended up re-joining for the last 10lbs, just to get the coveted "Lifetime" status. It's not the solution for everyone, but it's something to consider. With your friends here at 3FC, you've got a 24 hour meeting place at your disposal. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old 04-08-2001, 11:34 AM   #8  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Thanks, but for me, the meetings are important. I need that little book, and the weekly weigh ins. I've been dropping out for different, silly reasons -- the meeting leader I like is on Saturdays, but for three weeks in a row, something unexpected came up and I absolutely could not make the Saturday meeting -- and, since it's a Saturday, that blows the week (if it's a Thursday meeting you miss, you can weigh in on Friday or Saturday). Or because I haven't been "perfect" that week, I know I'll show a gain and I can't face it. Or there was a blizzard, etc. etc.

I'm also one who has to be in a place where my life is controllable -- I'm a freelancer and have a very weird schedule. There are times when I know I'll be snowed under with work and will not be able to START a regular schedule. I'm about to come to a place where, for six weeks, I should be able to control my schedule, and so this is a good time to start again.

Thanks for all the tips!
Old 04-08-2001, 12:27 PM   #9  

I also needed the meetings. Even though I already knew most of what they talked about, I still sat through every minute. If i had a bad week I would start to get a little nervous about the weigh in so this is what I did. I tried not to weigh at home because your weight is so different through the day,and my scale isn't to great. At my grocery store they have a scale that costs a quarter, and before my meeting I would drive buy and weigh myself. I know thats a little crazy, but it took the nervousness out of going to the meeting. I knew exactly what to expect when I stepped on the WW scale. Sometimes I would go 1/2 way through the week to know where I stood, so I'd have time to throw in a workout or eat a little better.
Just ease into the program. Also, think about the times you quit and try to pin point the exact things that made you quit so you can try to avoid them. Have it in your head before you go that you will not quit no matter what. My step-mom did that and she broke her ankle a week later. She had to have surgery and everything, but she kept going anyway. She did upper body workouts in her chair and lost 26lbs before she could start walking again! It can be done and you CAN do it!How much do you want to lose,anyway? Good luck!
Old 04-08-2001, 12:48 PM   #10  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Thanks! I agree about not weighing at home. I've tried it both ways. At my very first WW meeting, 20 years ago (that time I did stick with it and lost about 30 pounds, then stopped figuring -- haha -- I could do it better on my own. Now, 90 pounds later......) the theme was "Don't worship the Scale God." We were told, in no uncertain terms, to throw away the scale. I did, with some trepidation -- I was an every morning weigher -- and I found that not having the scale at home made me focus on staying on program rather than what I weighed. A real lightbulb moment (which I'm trying to recapture )
Old 04-08-2001, 09:47 PM   #11  

Xan;

It is so great that you are re-joining WW. Here in Canada there are no rules about being gone for a certain period of time before you can rejoin. In fact, if it is within a certain time frame, we can re-join at a reduced rate. (You do not get new books etc).

I am just like yourself. That weekly meeting is so important to me. I find that the additonal support on 3fc is great, but I also need that accountablilty on Tuesday evenings.

P.S. I am rejoining this Tuesday for the 100th time. (Well it has to be getting close) I have a wonderful leader so why do I keep quitting. Who knows! I am not concerned about the 100 times I quit, I am concerned with the 101 st time, when I succeed!.

Tarus
Old 04-09-2001, 04:54 PM   #12  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hi XAN:
I too just rejoined after 2 years of trying many other things. And like you, I quit time and time again because I didn't see enough results within the first 4 weeks. To me paying the weekly fee to lose .5 pounds was pathetic. BUT BUT BUT - if I had stuck with it - even at .5 pounds per week, I would have been AT GOAL by now AND would have properly known how to eat. Instead I sabatoged myself by justifying that it was too expensive and my time too precious to continue. Yet over the past 2 years, how much money have I spent going out to dinner?, purchasing the wrong foods from the local foodstore?, treated myself to a Mississippi Mud Pie sundae at my favorite homemade ice cream parlor? A LOT MORE than the meetings would have cost.

And if you are struggling by only staying good for 5 days straight before splurging.... think of this.... staying good only 21 days out of each month is a 70% On Program success. So if you need a break every 6th day - DO IT! But just try not to overdoit! I find the personality of the leader is essential to me. I drive 30 minutes north to the session I enjoy on Saturdays - just try a few meetings to get the right fit. Good Luck and feel free to email me.

Kim 239/236/140.....3/24/2001
Old 04-09-2001, 05:05 PM   #13  
Pink Thingy

Default I have to agree with Kim in NJ

...to me your leader can make all the difference. I have a fantastic leader (Tuesday lunchtime meeting) who goes out of her way to help each and every single one who attends her meetings. She conducts 13 meetings a week and I have met two ladies who have transferred from an evening meeting with another leader, so they can attend her meetings.

To me it all helps and I find the combination of getting the click, this particular leader and this site means I will stick with it this time.

Believe me I have been through that whole thing of trying to justify the price of the meeting versus my weight loss, but when I was gaining, I gave no thought whatsoever to all the money I spent eating unhealthy, so I may as well apply that same principle to money being spent to help me reach my goal weight

Last edited by BigFatBooty; 04-09-2001 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2001, 01:02 AM   #14  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Default Rejoined :)

Thanks for all the encouragement! I did go in today. It was a different crew, and they were very nice and supportive. There is no waiting limit (I know there was several years ago. I remember being asked "have you been away from WW at least a month?")

Xan
Old 04-10-2001, 09:38 PM   #15  

I've joined WW twice, the second time after gaining most of the weight I lost the first time. I thought I could do it alone, but found the meetings were a big help.

Since finding this support site, and taking care of ailing parents I chose to stop attending meetings and do the program at home. I'm losing, but miss the meetings and hope I can stay successful with this temporary solution. I need the support, and so far I'm getting it online. Thanks everyone, for 3FC!
Closed Thread