Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 10:35 AM   #1  

I have lost 101 lbs with about 20 to go. I am 49 years old. I feel great
about my weight loss but am disappointed with my saggy skin -
especially on my neck, upper arms and above my knees. I do drink the
water and exercise faithfully. Has anyone out there had any kind of
surgery to correct this problem? I have no idea what is involved in
terms of cost and risks. Would appreciate any insight!

Pam
Old 03-23-2001, 11:57 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

I know the skin will eventually tighten up but it takes 6 months to a year. Drinking water helps but dairy and protien is better as well as weight training (makes the muscles increase some thus making the skin look tighter). Sorry I can't help you with the surgery aspect.
Old 03-24-2001, 01:41 AM   #3  

Default Surgery?

I would recommend exploring some of the sites compiled at

http://www.getting2goal.com/opinion.html#excess

--Diamonda
266/140/135
Old 03-24-2001, 06:23 PM   #4  

Do you ever visit the Weight Watcher forum? There's a gal named Stephanie McDonald, from England who has had the surgery your talking about.

She usually posts on the Fitness Challenge thread. She also has her own website, that is very interesting. I just don't remember how to get into that.

She does have a post out there today. Go check- it may have her e-mail address in her profile. Or post her a message, I'm sure she'll be glad to share her experience with you.
Old 03-26-2001, 12:04 PM   #5  

Congrats on your weight loss! That's really great. I'm in about the same position as you (lost almost 100 with 30 to go). I have no insight on the surgery itself, but I have thought of it as well. Did you lose your weight relatively quickly? I started WW in Dec of '99, so it hasn't been too fast for me. For a few months now I've been religiously moisturizing in hopes that it will help my skin tighten up. Don't know if it's helping or not, but my skin isn't too bad. I notice it most on my belly and upper arms, and a little bit on my upper thighs. Sorry I have no info for you, but I'd love to hear about what you learn and any decisions you make. Please keep us posted. Thanks!

Flib
292.6/195/165ish
Old 03-27-2001, 02:41 PM   #6  
Stressed but Sane

Just one thought to add: You can expect that your skin will tighten, at least to a great extent, but it will take time. Lots of surgeons recommend that their patients postpone surgery, after reaching their weight loss goal, for as many months as it took to reach goal. In other words, if it took 18 months to lose the weight, you'd be advised to wait 18 months after reaching goal before undergoing surgery. During this "hiatus," you should continue to exercise, take your vitamins, drink water, and eat properly. The connective tissue beneath the skin needs time to snap into place, and it will tighten the skin as it does. Even if you're ultimately left with some areas that you feel require surgical refinement, the surgery will be less extensive, and therefore safer.
Closed Thread