Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 09:16 PM   #16  

Believe me, not keeping a journal has put the pounds back on!!! I start out each day saying, "I'll keep track of it in my head." I do great for breakfast and lunch, but then forget it!! Fortunately, I do drink at least 10 (minimum) glasses of water a day. I think that's what has kept me from putting all 56 lbs back. (I've put back 35 and have been at the same weight for about 6 months)

One of my problems is that I work in a preschool. We have a morning and afternoon class which the kids bring a snack for the class to share and the teachers have to sit down with the kids (family style). It is suppose to be a healthy snack (crackers, cheese, fruit). I always start out eating the fruit, but the crackers then slowly find their way into my mouth. And the cheese, forget it, once I start, it's over. And I have to do this 2x a day. I don't each lunch for this reason.

I can't get to a meeting tomorrow because I help coach my daughter's volleyball team, but I'm making a commitment to you all to keep a journal at least
4 days this week. I'll let you know how I do!!!
Old 03-16-2001, 10:43 PM   #17  

Default Even When I'm Bad

Like today. I'm PMS'ing- big time. Gave into 1/2 a jar of Nutella! I needed it. Honest I did. But.... I looked at the nutrition label on my Nutella after I polished it off. Got out my little blue Weight Watchers Point Finder- and I calculated it. Yes I did! 24 points worth of Nutella!. But guess what folks. Even though I had a total of 47 points today. When I averaged what I had for this entire week- I'm coming out with a 26.5 daily average- and- I'm doing the 22-27 point range. Sooooo- I really didn't blow it after all. Not really.

See. Facing the facts and journaling is not all that bad - even when your bad. At least you know what you did and what to do about it next time. And you may even find out that you weren't that bad after all.
Old 03-16-2001, 10:54 PM   #18  
Back To Lifetime....!!

Default Garfield....

HI Can I have the other 1/2 of jar of Nutella? I'm PMS'ing, too! I'm heading to the freezer for the frozen chocolate yogurt I have stashed there.... but FIRST, I'm logging it in my journal. Good job in keeping your journal up even when you go over

Nona
Old 03-16-2001, 11:58 PM   #19  
Super Surfer

Garfield, that is the beauty of journaling. You thought you blew it until you figured out the points, checked out what you had for the week and realized that it wasn't so bad after all. If you didn't journal, you wouldn't know that and probably (if you were me) would go back for the other 1/2 jar... I also keep track of my Winnipeg Points. Any exercise I do, I calculate and add those points to the daily points and carry any over for the next day. I find they come in handy for the weekends. I go to WW on Tuesdays, so that is when I start my new week. We do what works for us.
Old 03-17-2001, 02:27 AM   #20  

Default What Other Half?

Trudy- there wasn't another half. Half a jar is all that was left when I started. he he. By the way, love that ice cream cone- reminds me of my all time favorite flavor at Baskin Robbins- Chocolate Chip Mint- taste like a Thin Mint Girl Scout cookie. Glad their not open at this hour. But, come to think of it. I do have a box of Thin Mints in my freezer. Naw! I won't. I already had my fun for the day.
Old 03-17-2001, 03:49 PM   #21  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

I must join the crowd. I, too, will have to keep track of points and journal what I eat. If I don't, portion sizes creep up and the weight creeps up right along with it. Plus, I choose healthier foods when I count points. And I feel better. I have more energy. Now, if only I could get rid of PMS cravings . . . lol!

Lin
Old 03-17-2001, 05:42 PM   #22  
Chick-a-dee

The points system makes so much sense to me, because it gives me an objective way to value food. I know what I want to eat, but I also know how many points I am willing to "spend", and if I don't want to spend the points for a food, I can make another choice. Or, go ahead and eat the 1/2 jar of Nutella and be accountable! (Thanks for the point count on Nutella!)

I became obese by not paying attention to what went into my mouth. If I want to reach my goal and stay there, I know I'm going to have to think about every bite that goes in, period. It doesn't feel like a diet anymore, even thought I'm not at goal, it feels like a new way of thinking that works for me and I could do this for the rest of my life and be happy. I love the feeling that being in control brings!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Annie
290/211/150
Old 03-17-2001, 08:58 PM   #23  

Default points

All of you women are fantastic. Such great stories and so much inspiration. I have been having an awful time. I go to WW but dont write down my points and I know thats key. I feel like I am at a cross road. Sometimes I get tired of the struggle. I am not happy being over weight. Its alot of work this weight loss thing. I have been at it a long time. Up and down. Thats why I had to tell all of you that you are doing a wonderful job. You know unless you have a weight problem there is no way you can understand how we all feel. I have so many people mainly my wonderful husband giving me the OK to go OP he means well but that kind of help I dont need. So anyway I will end this. Thanks to all of you for writing down your stories it does help.
We are all worth the effort :-)
Sue
Old 03-17-2001, 09:49 PM   #24  
Life Time 2001

I will keep track of my points and Journal for the rest of my life. Its my life style now. And Theres no way Im going back to what I was.

I enjoy my new lifestyle!
Old 03-17-2001, 10:03 PM   #25  

I have no doubt that I'll be counting points the rest of my life. Small price to pay to keep control of my weight.

Brian
Old 03-18-2001, 07:05 AM   #26  
Crazy Babe

I too will be pointing forever. I don't attend meetings time & finances don't allow it. I keep a journal in a notebook, besides journaling I also exercise everyday. This allows me to go 'over' points for one day at the weekend, mostly I can get away with this.

This is my third time with WW - 3rd time lucky.

My dream is that when I reach goal & have stablised my weight for a few months, I can stop pointing over the weekend. I know I will still have to journal so that when the goodies in the fridge are calling my name I can check on what I have already had. I also hope in time to fade the exercise back down to 5 times a week - again it'll be a very gradual process.

This is me for the rest of my life - I have made so many changes over the last few months. They have all been gradual & hard work but worth it. This site has been the mainstay of my support.

Way to go Brian!

229/203/147
Old 03-20-2001, 09:29 AM   #27  

Thanks you all for responding. I journaled all day yesterday and you know what...it wasn't that bad, I even saved an extra point. I have all my food planned out for today also. I think as long as I can do this for about 2 weeks I'll have the confidence to continue and since I have no functions coming up I know I can do it. I am going to Florida in 6 months and would love to feel comfortable in a bathing suit or at least shorts. That gives me just about enough time to lose 40 pounds (do you think that's a reasonable goal?)
Old 03-20-2001, 12:36 PM   #28  
Senior Tortoise

It takes me about a year to take off 40 pounds, but that's just me. I do find I lose better -- and maintain better -- if I don't set a time limit for myself to get pounds off. By setting a time limit, I tend to give myself an excuse to go off program after that time limit has passed. Again, that's just me.

Good for you in sticking with it.

It's hard to accept that we can't go back to unconscious eating (not journaling, not thinking about what we eat). I understand that. I still fight it, too, even after doing this for nearly three years.

The best incentive for me was what I did in the year 2000. I gradually stopped journaling. And -- surprise, surprise -- I gained back 16 pounds in eight months. Took me another four months to get it back off again. I ended Y2K exactly where I began it. Now, whenever I'm tempted to just blow off journaling, I remember that -- and ask myself if I want to do the same thing in 2001.

The main thing is to find what works for you long term, and do that. If counting points is just too awful to contemplate, then check out the programs where you keep track in some other way. But regardless, we have to come to terms with the fact that we'll always have to watch what we eat. Always.

--Lauren
Old 03-20-2001, 03:05 PM   #29  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

I look at it this way. I have lost a total of 81 lbs so far with another 45 to 50 to go. I have worked to long and to hard to lose this weight to take the chance of gaining it all back. All I have to do is remember the blood pressure medication, & how awful I felt when my sugar was out of control and that lets me know I can do this for life. Like the saying goes "It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle." I think once you learn how and do it so long it becomes kind of ingrained. At least I hope so. Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Have a great week everyone.......Sis
Closed Thread