Old 10-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #16  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Sun - my history with depression is kinda debatable. LOL I was on birth control starting at 16 and my body didn't handle the hormones from it well. As in - it made me crazy and gave me seizures. My doc added Buspar about 3 months ago because my anxiety worsened A LOT after my miscarriage. I'm fortunate that my family views mental health like any other disease - you manage it.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #17  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

LOL SoMuchFattitude. You don't sound like an alcoholic, I promise I actually don't drink that much so that helps but I build it into the extra points but, most importantly, set a limit AND STICK TO IT. Of course, since I don't drink that much my limit is usually just one beer or one glass of wine, but I make sure it's the good stuff (usually high octane beer lol) to make it a bit more worth the points
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

So, I'm gonna type up a whole bit thing on my backstory/life depression stuff, but I'm gonna put it at the end for any who may want to skip over it. I'm not looking for any sympathy and I've talked about most the stuff enough now with therapists over the years that it doesn't bother me and I've come to terms with it. More just felt like sharing my experience. Before that though!

Weight related. I weighed in at 237.2 today! I get real excited when the scale goes down now because it's always a new low. On the down side, my blender broke last night I've ordered a new one from Amazon that should get here in two days.. but no more smoothies for a little bit. Sad days! I'll have to remember to eat more fruits and veggies the normal way. The one I got is a ninja blender! Woot woot!

Onto the sad, sorta unrelated stuff (though it ends happier I swear)

My family is.. off.. My parents got divorced when I was young (like 2 years old, I don't remember it), dad is on wife number four (whom I actually love and hope he stays with this one, other two after my mom were *****es, super mean). Mom remarried once and has been with my step-dad for 15 years now. I lived with my dad up until I was 15 years of age.

Dad was mentally and emotionally abusive. He'd call me fat all the time when I wasn't. I was actually very thin in high school, and very active in sports. He told me my boobs would never be as big as my mom's because my step dad bought her a boob job when I was around 8. I'd get grounded for things like not beating my brother home from school because we walked and he didn't want me hanging around talking to my friends because they were trying to convince me to move in with my mom. He'd throw things at the wall next to where I was standing when I got in trouble. When I tried to say I wanted to move in with her, he wanted me to write down reasons, eventually I mustered up the courage to tell him I was scared of him. His response was that kids were suppose to be afraid of their parents.

Now, at 15 I went over to my mom's house and just refused to go home. We contacted child services, and the police department to make sure that was an okay thing to do, and not breaking any laws. It was fine. My dad reacted by calling and making threats about how I could run and hide, but I'd have to go to school sometime. So then we got to talk to the security guards at school too. Dad raided my stuff at his house and found suicide notes I had written fairly recently, and that's when I started going to therapy. We got a restraining order on dad, and I didn't talk to him for about six years.

So fast forward to more recently, I've been in and out of therapy a lot for depression. I'll feel like I have a handle on it and then stop going to therapy because it's expensive as all ****. About a year ago I started getting physically sick coinciding with a pretty bad depression bout that just wasn't going away. Food wasn't digesting properly, it was sitting in my stomach..which in turn caused a lot of nasty side effects. That's when I started taking medication for my depression. I also moved back in with my mom and step-dad (I had moved out when I was 18). Arguing commenced over whether I should actually have the FMLA that my work gave me because my illness wasn't visible.

My mom and step-dad view what I've been going through for around 14 years now as the same thing they have when they have a bad day at work. Now, my mom and step-dad are not bad people, they truly are trying to help out, they just have a very hard time understanding. My mom is better than my step-dad. My step-dad doesn't believe in mental illness at all. It's just not a thing to him. My half-sister was diagnosed with psychosis, she's sorta the parental favorite, and my step-dad couldn't even really deal with that. He thought she was making choices to see/hear things, and damn near left her on her own to deal with it. My mom said had it been any of us other kids, he wouldn't have stuck with it. How he ended up dealing was he just got a list of how to treat someone with it. He doesn't understand what it is, and doesn't believe in it, but he will act how a doctor tells him to act.

My mom I think I'm starting to get through to, and she really does want to understand. We had a talk when I was there recently about mental illness, and how people with it don't tend to think logically during episodes. She started using my half-sister as an example, and I pointed out it happens with me too. She was having a hard time imagining so I tried to explain by letting her know that if I'm having an episode then I'll think things about how I'm annoying people, people don't really want me around, a place is better off if I'm not there, how people will react if I tell them something they disagree with... that last one is always some far fetched thing that would never actually happen but it's also always very real in my mind and the fear of it has prevented me from being open about things in the past... they aren't logical things because they aren't true, and often I have no reason to think that. I got invited to a party in which all our co-workers were not invited, and not because I overheard it or something, but someone actually texted me and invited me, of course they want me there.. that's not what goes through my head though. I can identify the non-logical stuff after the fact, usually when I talk it over with someone and start picking things apart, but during an episode that stuff is very real. My mom sort of teared up and said she didn't realize, she has been told those thoughts but she always thought I was making excuses for not wanting to go to things or spend time with the family. So possibly a breakthrough with her there.. my step-dad my mom just sort of handles, and I don't really talk to him about stuff.

On the bio-dad side of things.. he went blind a few years back. I wouldn't wish blindness on anyone at all, to be very clear about that. Going blind has improved the way my dad treats people though. I think perhaps he realized he needs family. I actually enjoy spending time with him now. His newest wife also has depression/anxiety and is medicated, we also share the same views on a lot of stuff. The last couple times I've went over there we stayed up chatting until around 2am. My dad even tells me he loves me now, which never use to happen. So that relationship is getting repaired.

So that's that.. sorry it's a book, lol. All that mess probably has something to do with why I suffer from depression, and probably some of the mental factor for weight gain. I am in a much better place now though, and I'm very happy to be taking medication. Ready to get off the extra weight
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #19  
Momof4

S/C/G: 317/*ticker*/198

Height: 5'6"

hello ladies

I thought I'd give a little info of myself. (and some has to do with depression which seems to be the topic today)

I'm 28 (29 on the 25th!) and a mommy to 3 beautiful babies. 4.5 yr old son, 2.5 yr old daughter, and 3 month old daughter.

After my first two kids it was fairly easy to jump into the "I MUST LOSE WEIGHT" mind-set. After my third, not so much. I never dealt with postpartum depression with my other two babies but it hit me like a truck with #3. I felt like I was the worst mother in the world. That my kids deserved better. That I shouldn't be here. It hit me harrrrddddd. I've been on Paxil since #3 was 2 weeks old. It has really helped me with functioning and I feel great most days. I attempted to take the Nuva Ring birth control. I was told it was lower dose and I can't take any of the other hormonal forms so this was my last shot.... didn't work out. Even with the Paxil I nearly divorced my husband. I can't even remember what our fight was over but it was mainly me making things up that I thought he was thinking blah blah blah. So Nuva Ring has been out for about a month and I feel good again.

I'm so frustrated to say that weight has always been an issue with me, but it has. I went on my first diet at age 10. I'm hoping to get myself under control so my kids don't have my same struggles.

Well the baby is fussing so I have to run. I hope to get to know all of you soon!
Nagazim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #20  

Welcome Nagazim! Sorry I sort of turned the conversation onto depression right as we got some new folks to join the forums. I didn't mean for it to be that way and I swear I'm actually not a downer most the time!

It's good that you're feeling good again. I have a little boy who's going to be six in December.. I usually just say I have a six year old son. Having enough energy to play with him and be a good mom is a major motivator for me. I can't imagine the energy it'd take to keep up with 3, you've got a bit of superwoman in you. I look forward to getting to know you better throughout our journey to get healthy
Old 10-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #21  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

My first week back and I lost 5.2 lbs! I know I'll probably never see a number that high again but man it's a good feeling and a good start!
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 205/195.0/165

Hi! Thought I'd update! I'm down to 195 this morning. I was 198.2 last Saturday. So I'm down 6 lbs in 2 wks.
gettingbackinmyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #23  

Congrats Tudor Rose and Gettingbackinmyjeans! Big drops are always exciting.

I got my new blender in today (old one broke). Looking forward to some fruit smoothies again.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #24  
Less of a Better Me

I finally -- at long last -- officially got into the 150s, weighing in at 159.4 pounds for a total of 48 pounds lost. I actually had a week where I ate all of my points (weekly ones as well) and wasn't really active. But-- it all worked out. This is the first time I've been in the 150s since the 1990s!
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #25  

Congrats Koshka! I'm always afraid to use my weeklies because I lose in such small amounts at a time as is. It's awesome to see people still losing that did eat their weeklies though. Makes me feel not so bad when I break into them (I know, they're there to use... it's a mental thing I need to get over).

Great job on your progress!

I'm in love with my new blender. It's a Ninja and it was only $40 on Amazon. So whoo. It's a smaller one of course, but I don't do anything that would warrant a huge purchase. Smoothies to get in my fruit are back on the table!
Old 10-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #26  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Sorry all - I'm kinda MIA currently. My dad is in the hospital and so is my uncle. It's been a few crazy days, but I'm trying to stay on plan and not binge. Certainly easier said than done though. I'm an emotional eater through and through.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #27  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunarie View Post
Congrats Koshka! I'm always afraid to use my weeklies because I lose in such small amounts at a time as is. It's awesome to see people still losing that did eat their weeklies though. Makes me feel not so bad when I break into them (I know, they're there to use... it's a mental thing I need to get over).
I did a whole blog post on this awhile back. Basically I am a strong believer that it is important to use at least some of your weeklies (or Activity Points if you eat them first) each week. Otherwise, you have to eat the same exact number of points each day.

Bear in mind that your daily points value is a minimum of what you should eat according to the WW plan. It is not a maximum.

My daily points are 26. Again, that is a minimum so I don't have the option under WW to eat, say, 24 points a day. If I say I'm not going to eat any weeklies then I have to jiggle my eating each day so that I eat exactly 26 points. To me, that is not natural and is hard to do and keeps me from eating when I'm hungry. I don't like to feel that I must eat exactly 26 points a day. So -- I just make zero effort to eat 26 points a day. Most days I end up averaging around 31 to 32 points. Some days I might eat exactly 26 points while others might be much more.

In most weeks, I eat 20 to 30 of my weekly points (and I've lost 48 pounds doing that all along). Occasionally, I eat all of them.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 205/195.0/165

Well I peaked at the scale this morning and was back up 2 lbs! Wish I hadn't looked! My birthday is Friday and DH is taking me out to eat dinner and says he is getting cake and ice cream. I'm planning to enjoy the day and get back on track Saturday. My points start over on Saturday anyway, so hoping it won't be too bad.
gettingbackinmyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #29  

SoMuchFattitude - I'm sorry to hear that Sending some good vibes your way. Kudos for trying to stay on plan, I know that much be tough.

Koshka - Right now I'm honestly not concerned about eating too little, even if I'm under points. I've got 36 points to play around with (yay, one less point for hitting 237), and on any given day I eat between 34-36. A couple days a week I'll go over by one or two. So last week for example, I used 2 of my weekly points. The week before that was also 2. This week just started. I know I shouldn't feel bad for weeklies, and eventually I think I'll use them, especially when I get to lower points values. There is a mental hurdle for me though, even when I tell myself it's part of the plan and fine.. I will eventually get over it, just takes some time. Thank you for the words of encouragement to eat all the points though

Gettingbackinmyjeans - The scale going up can be icky. Try to brush it off and keep on track until Friday. Then have a wonderful birthday In a related note, happy early birthday!

I've been chugging along. Had some Eggplant Parmesan mini-pizzas yesterday that were amazing (if you like Eggplant and all). Here's the recipe for anyone interested. http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes...rmesan-pizzas/
Old 10-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #30  
JAYNE

S/C/G: 276/251/150

I am new to ww. I have been struggling on doing this on my own for awhile. I tried it years ago and think it was the 123 plan then. I joined online but went to an introduced meeting we have here in town. I have 33 points.
jillybean2014 is offline   Reply With Quote