Old 11-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/188/150

Height: 5'2

Default Frustrated with my doc

last year when I started WW my doc was all on board and I asked her for a note to a more reasonable goal weight...she said "sure" at the time I was getting a hysterectomy and she told me to come back when I was all healed...I waited because I was at a plateau for 7 months
so today I go in...I tell her I hit a plateau but moved by it watching my sodium and calories which WW really doesn't tell you to watch and since then I lost 12 lbs (in 2 months) with also exercise
its like she didn't even hear me...she told me I'm not losing because I'm not eating enough calories and I need to stay away from fruit, she called fruit "sugar bombs" I was shocked-now you want me to eat more and cut out fruit...say what??? then she wanted my thyroid checked because "I dropped so much" WHY AREN'T YOU LISTENING!!!
she gave me the note but I left very discouraged
she seemed annoyed with WW because they don't tell you fruit is bad
ummm-fruit is not bad, better than eating candy
AND she said very firmly "STAY AWAY FROM BREAD, RICE, AND CARBS AND FRUIT" ok well-the one thing I learned in WW is not to cut stuff completely out because then when I do eat it I'll gain

right?

if this was the first time I went to this doc I would never go again-but I normally love her...maybe its the crappy monday she's having
SarainMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #2  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

The whole reason it works (for me, anyway, but I think for most people) is that its an "everything in moderation" - nothing is taboo or bad, when eaten sparingly or budgeted for. I would have been very upset too! You've lost 61lbs. Clearly, you're doing things right!
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #3  

You should watch the documentary "Fat Head" on YouTube. It's interesting/entertaining and explains a lot about how fat and sugar are used in the body. It's enlightening and every dieter should watch it, imo.
earthecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #4  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Ugh! My post went up 4 times, I deleted one and they all disappeared!

Nutshell. Too much fruit or anything can be bad.

Ask the doctor again at your next appointment. Perhaps she was super busy.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #5  

but fruit is free!!!

its my go to when I need to munch

I told her i eat cherry tomatoes like candy and she said that was good-at least I got one positive comment
Old 11-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #6  
Maintaining

S/C/G: 173/118

Height: 5ft, 6in

Carbs and fruit are the current 'evil' right now, followed closely by gluten Most doctors have little or no nutritional training at all. If you have questions I'd get a referral to see a registered dietician, who's specialty is food/nutrition.

And no, fruit is not bad in any shape or form, unless you're a fruitarian and that's all you eat Moderation in all things is good, but unless you're eating 10 apples a day or something, it's a non-issue (unless you have a medical issue like diabetes, then it does matter).

As far as WW pts go-I'm new to all of this, but isn't it 3-5 servings of fruit and veggies, combined, that's 0 points a day? I found the WW formula and it looks like they factor in 200 calories into the point system, for those 0 fruits and veggies. One banana has around 100 calories, to give a point of reference. So you can't eat endless amounts of fruits and veggies, but in fact only around 200 calories before you have to start counting points.

Last edited by justjaynee; 11-05-2013 at 02:21 PM.
justjaynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #7  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Yes, fruit is "free". But it is still sugar. Sugar still causes some issues.

I have two pieces of fruit daily banana in the morning, apple in the PM.

BUT, if I add more than that...too much sugar and I stall. Every time.

Like anything else, moderation.

On a side note I wish I liked cherry tomatoes, or tomatoes at all. I wish I liked a lot of things...like yogurt!

Oh well. Cannot like everything
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #8  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Sorry your doctor wasn't attentive. You are doing great!
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #9  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarainMN View Post
but fruit is free!!!

its my go to when I need to munch

I told her i eat cherry tomatoes like candy and she said that was good-at least I got one positive comment
Fruit is zero points. It is not zero calories. I do think that fruit has been the source of a lot of people's failure to lose enough weight.

Zero point fruit for some people is fine. There are people who don't really like fruit all that much and would never spend points to eat it. But, make it zero points and they are encouraged to do so and eat a serving or two every day instead of heating foods that are worse for you.

1 medium banana (note, not a large banana) is 105 calories. An apple is 81. 20 cherries is 98 and so on. Sure some are less. Eat a couple of servings of fruit, no problem. Eat 5 or 6 servings of fruit every day and it will derail most people's weight loss.

And, the fact is that fruit does have a lot of sugar in it. The good thing is that fruit also has other nutrients in it so they sugar isn't just empty calories. However, many people are very sensitive to carbs and just can't eat a whole lot of carbs and be successful at weight loss.

The fact that fruit is zero point does not mean that anyone can just eat as much as they want without consequence to weight loss.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #10  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I'm sure Sara was well aware of that fact. Her doctor over stepped a line. If weight watchers was not good for people, it would have been stopped a long time ago,

We all know how the plan works. Sara needs empathy right now, not to be told well fruit is bad.

We all are aware of the good health guidelines and there have been several conversations on opinions on fruit. We are here to support. Please remember that,
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Fruit can be bad if you dislike vegetables and are replacing them with fruit. There is a balance anything can be bad if it is being overdone. I would try to think about the way you are eating before completely dismissing the doctor.

However, your doctor seems to be pushing a Paleo diet which seems suspect. Paleo isn't bad but my sister is a doctor and she doesn't push Paleo because most people fail it. To really get someone healthy you need to give them a plan feasible for their life which is why overall WW works for so many.

But I would review your fruit intake vs. you vegetable intake and see if there any positive adjustment you can make.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #12  

I do get it! I guess I didn't realize fruit was really that bad!!! I mean bad enough for my doc to say "stay away from fruit" I was shocked by that!! she didn't even say "its ok to have a banana" she said "STAY AWAY"
she was also saying "stay away from bread, rice, potatoes"
I figured at this time I was just going to nod my head and agree but in my head I was like "HECK NO...IF I REMOVE THOSE AND THEN BINGE I'M IN TROUBLE" I felt like putting my hand on her shoulder and saying "all in moderation dear" but I held back

oh and I had 2 bananas yesterday...I'm such a rebel haahha

Last edited by SarainMN; 11-06-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #13  

I could almost understand her thinking if I was just starting out and need a boost or if I've been trying for months and nothing was happening but obviously what I'm doing is working

I guess to with MFP that I'm watching my sugar and calories so what I'm having for fruit is ok...it not like that's all I eat all day

I told her I was on MFP and watching the sodium and calories helped me lose 12 lbs and get past my plateau...that's when she started in on not enough calories and fruit...I was confused because I was telling her what was working
then when I mentioned 12 lbs she wanted my thyroid checked

she just wasn't listening to me
Old 11-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #14  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

All in all, it sounds to me like you're right - she wasn't listening. You're doing fine! It's working for you.

PS - I love bananas.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Your doctor's advice may have been good - for someone else, but she wasn't listening to you.

I have blood sugar issues, and I'm a compulsive eater. My natural inclination is to be eating nearly constantly all day, which is how I got to nearly 400 lbs, mostly on foods that most people consider healthy and even impossible to get fat on.

If I had loved "junk food," or had never attempted to control my intake, I probably would have gotten a lot bigger.

For me, I do have to be very careful with fruit and other "healthy" carbs, because I can easily eat a "snack" of 300-500 fruit calories, such as a plate of sliced apples (3 large apples), and be hungry an hour later.

Sugars, even fruit sugars tend to trigger irrational and uncontrollable hunger in many people (especially those with blood sugar and/or insulin issues). Some experts believe this is true for everyone. I tend to believe there's a lot more variability, and that the only way to determine whether you're sensitive to sugars and starches is to experiment with and without them, and pay attention to the results on the scale and in your hunger and degree of difficulty staying on plan.

Sadly, it's easier to become a nutrition expert than to find a doctor who is, and even harder still to find a doctor who is both knowledgeable and skilled at communicating that knowledge.

In my experience, people in general (and doctors are no exception) try to condense complicated information into one-size-fits-all advice. Unfortunately, there's very little help in that kind of approach. Anything that is true for everyone tends to be so common sensical that everyone already knows it. And anything that isn't true for everyone, makes the "experts" seem like idiots when they try to apply it to everyone.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-06-2013 at 01:33 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote