Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 08:47 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Thin4Life - Week of June 23, 2003

Good morning everyone!

It's been crazy here--we are in the midst of our first summer orientation program for our incoming freshman class so things are busy. I actually enjoy this part of the job

I was out of town over the weekend (left work early on Friday) in Harrisburg, PA. The weather was rainy so we didn't get to do as much as we would've liked. DS #1 had his State Bowling Competition. Their team finished 7th (out of 10). They were a little bummed out because three of the four team members didn't even get their average!

We have another tournament this weekend and that'll wrap things up in the bowling circuit.

I've been doing okay in the eating area which is a little surprising since TOM should be arriving any day now. I didn't do all that bad while we were out of town and I've been trying to get more walking in.

Did everyone have a good weekend? The sun is actually shining today and we're supposed to hit 80...tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and more humid. Figures we go from cold & wet to hot & humid. Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 06-23-2003, 09:36 AM   #2  

I'm doing OK Melissa. We had a hot and sunny weekend for a change, so folks around here are pretty happy. Forecast for the week looks good, although we never depend on that.

DH came back from New Brunswick with his Dad yesterday. He (the dad) was supposed to meet up with an old friend for a friendly game of cribbage yesterday but was dismayed to find that his friend had passed away yesterday morning. Quite unexpected. Then, last nite, I got word that my Mom's brother died. I guess it's to be expected when your parents reach their 80s, but it's always a shock nonetheless. I'll call my Mom tonite to make sure she's OK.

My eating habits have not been good. Don't even want to talk about that. Exercise has been pretty steady.

Too bad about your son's finish in the tournament. They probably could have survived one of the team members being off his game, but not 3/4 of the team!!
Old 06-23-2003, 11:49 AM   #3  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Whaaa. Sorry to hear the bad news Susan. I'm glad your FIL came back with DH.

I'm with you and the exercise, the eating has been defective.

Melissa -- You guys are doing orientation and its the first day of Summer School here. DP has a stats class every day. Bleah.

I'm going to beautiful Harrisburg next year for the same conference that I attending in SPM. I'll be looking at farmhouses next.

Glad to hear the bowling season is almost over.

Did you see the Big Lebowski? Its a good bowling movie.

Nothing much going on here, celebrated the beginning of summer with a most elegant garden party at a friends house, followed by drinks at another friends house and then a nice bout of room service at a local hotel. It was rather decadent.

Did tons of gardening, my nails look like heck, but things are shaping up around the garden. Planted a bunch of alpine strawberries in a new bed. I hope they like it there.

Other than that, nothing much, grant writing, gym, helping out with a kids camp at work and the same old stuff.

I'll begin a challenge this week and post my journal. I hope you will all join in!

Hi to Domina and Laurel !

lala
Old 06-24-2003, 08:06 AM   #4  

Height: 6'0"

Hi everyone.

What a weekend weather-wise -- we broke records. We got 2" of rain on Saturday and 5" on Sunday! Yuk. Oh well, the plants liked it.

I have one more performance left as an accompanist. Actually, I'm kinda glad because it's not my normal job.

I have really blown it eating wise. I gained weight this past week and I am not happy. I know why because I stopped journaling and I've been eating way too many sweets. So yesterday, I got serious. I had a really good day yesterday and I'll keep it up till I get rid of those pesky pounds.

Old 06-24-2003, 02:09 PM   #5  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Domina-- how about a journalling challenge?

I can do that!

Nothing much here, stuck with lots of work and its nice out!

Darn it. I want to be gardening and hanging out with mr. dog in the back yard.

lala
Old 06-24-2003, 02:32 PM   #6  

Hi everyone! It's hot here...a balmy 85...I hear the temps are supposed to cool down a little later on in the week. We go from one extreme to the other. You can feel the humidity climbing *ugh*

Susan: I hope things are going better! I do understand what you mean about parents getting older...my FIL was in over the weekend and had to have stents put in...he's 82 and very active. My mom is in for surgery as well...it's rough when the parents get older.

Lala, Domina, Susan: I like the idea of a journaling challenge. I've been lax in this area as well the past weekend. I need to get back into the habit and this would be a good way to do it!

Lala: I have seen the movie The Big Lebowski. Harrisburg was nice...I went to the farmer's market down by the capitol and bought a couple of things.

Domina: Good for you for getting back on track! That's half the battle in my opinion.

Not much else going on here. My boss brought in a German chocolate cake for my birthday...saved points for this! Hope everyone is having a good day!
Old 06-24-2003, 03:05 PM   #7  
si, si signora

Happy Birthday to Melissa!

lala
Old 06-25-2003, 12:27 PM   #8  

Yes, Happy Birthday to Melissa.

Lala: Journaling challenge sounds interesting--what do I need to do?

I've had a good week so far. I'm journaling and watching what I eat. I was invited to one of those Chinese buffets yesterday and turned the invitation down.

I'm trying, ladies.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:29 PM   #9  

Good afternoon everyone! It's a very humid 87 degrees here...I'd much rather have mid 70's.

I didn't journal yesterday and so today begins a new WW week for me. I went for my meeting and was up .8 which isn't bad considering TOM is due to arrive at any time and I ate a little more than I had planned over the weekend. Moving right along though I'm looking at what I can do rather than what I could've done

In any case, today brings a fresh new journal. Let's begin our challenge...make it a point to check off the little boxes and to keep a "complete" journal. I know that once I get into the habit that it'll become second nature again. It's so easy to let it slide.

Hope everyone is staying cool!
Old 06-25-2003, 03:31 PM   #10  
si, si signora

Domina,

consider it done.

hot here, how can you stand it?

lala
Old 06-26-2003, 10:08 AM   #11  

Good morning everyone!

Another 3H (hazy, hot, humid) day here in PA. Yesterday was not pleasant in my book. The weather just doesn't go well with me--makes me sick to my stomach and gives me a headache. The upside is that I'm not really hungry

We're supposed to have some relief later tonight and into tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it!
Old 06-26-2003, 02:03 PM   #12  
si, si signora

Hi all,

I'm soo sorry about your weather! Its hot (for me) here, but we're looking at cool and grey starting on sunday.

Nothing new here, I was contemplating visiting my dad in SD this weekend, but I think I'll stay here. I"ll be down there next Saturday for a week. I think my parents friends and my cousins are doing a good job of keeping him in food and water.

I heard from my mom on Tuesday. She sounds like she's having a blast in Turkey. My brother and gf go tomorrow. I want to go too.

Other than that, I'll update my journal from yesterday and start for today.

lala
Old 06-27-2003, 07:40 AM   #13  

Melissa, You're right that when it's super hot, you aren't hungry (an upside?)

lala, what is Turkey like? I have no clue. Is it a Muslim nation?

Susan, I hope you feel better really soon.

I'm planning to visit my sister over the 4th (3 hours from here), so I wrote to her and said, "how about a picnic?" She wrote back it's too hot!! I'm bummed. I love to eat outdoors. Oh well, maybe I'll be able to convince her.

Old 06-27-2003, 09:07 AM   #14  

It's hot here too for a change.

Domina: Congrats on the loss. 3 lbs is great!

Melissa: I find I eat less but have a tendency to drink beer when it's hot - something I don't normally do. Sigh, I find a way to consume the calories one way or another.

lala: Does your family have a place in Turkey? We have friends who visit there regularly but we've never been. Maybe some day. What do you think of Thailand as a vacation destination?
Old 06-27-2003, 01:39 PM   #15  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Its beautiful today. I'm happy to say that after a few nasties on the desk, I'm leaving for a haircut and to run a few errands. I'm not sure I'm coming back.

Susan- I hope you feel better. My uncle and aunt bought and renovated a place outside of Antalya. They are Iranian, but they speak turkish and have lived in Germany for nearly 40 years. They really love it there. I have been down to that part of Turkey once, but before they bought their house. My mom is throughly enjoying it and I believe in about three hours my brother and GF will descend upon them.

I would love to go to Thailand. It seems a bit sticky and hot though. The food would be astounding though!
I was leaving for Japan a year ago today. I hope that I return to Asia soon.

Domina -- Turkey is a moslem country, but its also a democracy and from what I have seen amazingly modern and progressive. I really liked it and am looking forward to returning there soon.

Melissa -- Any thing planned for the weekend? I see from the weather map that its still hot in PA. I hope it cools off!

okay ladies, I'm off to sheperd a group of kids for science camp!

lala
Closed Thread