Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #1  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Helping someone else

This might get a bit long so bear with me. I also posted this in the Weight loss support forum.

I am a Lifetime/maintaining WW member. Recently we've had 17 year old girl join our group. So proud of her.

However, she lives with her grandparents and her grandmother has just returned from stem cell transplant treatment and her grandfather has a heart condition.

I give her high fives for joining and continuing to come to meetings.

However, I can see she is struggling, and tonight she broke down and cried when she weighed in.

I live in a small community and a local therapist has been coming to meetings as well and always sits with, (I'll call her Sam). So I think there is a connection there.

Anyway, Sam has been trying so hard. Tonight, after the breakdown and the meeting, she bought some cook books and I over heard her telling the receptionist she was going to give cooking a whirl, since what she's been trying hasn't been working.

I know her, because her family brings there dog to the veterinary hospital where I work.

Anyway, since I left the meeting, I've been racking my brain, thinking of ways to help her. I don't want to be intrusive, but I felt so bad for her, seeing her in front of me and crying and knowing the things I know. I want to be supportive in a good way.

Don't get me wrong, her grandparents are great people, but she has so much going on in her life, while I can see why she is trying to address her health, I can also see how this could seem a mountain you could never climb.

I thought to start off, I would give her a few of my easy, 2 or 3 ingredient WW recipes, that you can whip out in the microwave. If she's good with that, I'll work on a few more.

She's been coming faithfully for 8 weeks, and she is trying, most people in her situation would have quit by now, and I so badly want to encourage her to not give up!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #2  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Right after I post about how my day started off crappy I read this and put it into perspective. Thank you.

Maybe sit by her too and start a friendship/mentor role? I know that I tend to sit by the same people every week at WW and now I'm FB friends with some. Perhaps you could spark a relationship that way and then it won't feel so intrusive?
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #3  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

I agree with SoMuchFattitude about just sitting next to her and starting as a friend or mentor. After building a level of trust you could always offer to take her out to lunch which would be two-fold: first give her a safe space/person to talk to and confide in plus you can offer some tips on eating out.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 242/226/130

What a wonderful post - you are doing a great thing in offering your support.

Please keep us updated. And congrats on your success as well!
nmbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278.4/see siggy/178.4

Height: 5'6"

What a strong young lady!

I like the idea of sharing the 2-3 ingredient recipes. As someone who used to be less than confident in the kitchen, mastering some easy recipes made all the difference in the world.

Also, if you have any "go to" recipes that can be prepped ahead that may be good too. That way she has something WW friendly to grab from the fridge instead of something high point. For example, DH and I have a go to chicken salad recipe that uses LF yogurt (instead of mayo), and grapes with herbs and spices in a whole wheat pita pocket. It is a filling 5-6 point snack/small meal.

I wonder if you could suggest a simple recipe swap at one of the upcoming meetings? I know we did that once at my WW at Work meeting many many moons ago. It was neat to see what others were coming up with. That may be a way to get her some recipes with her feeling singled out.

Keep us posted on how everything goes.
gooch100 is offline   Reply With Quote