Old 01-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Default Is Weight Watchers healthier than calorie counting????

I have done WW in the past, however not since fruits and veggies are "free". Can anyone who has done both WW and CC tell me what the difference is now?
Do you feel fuller? Possibly lose weigh (small amount) quicker?
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #2  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Interesting question. I actually do both on my phone using the WWDiary app and MFP (myfitnesspal) although the MFP app is really more out of curiosity of how many calories I am taking in on a day to day basis. As for your two last questions, I cannot answer that since I have not truly done CC alone in a long time and that was before I understood which food kept me fuller and satiated than others, you know? Ah, sorry if I wasn't much help.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #3  

MFP is what I am doing..... But I have a nagging feeling if I was "forced" to make my calories count more I wouldn't be having such a hard time of getting my weight back off.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

When I was on pure WW I felt it steered me toward healthier choices and more balanced eating. IF you follow the plan and don't "play games" with point counting...

What do you mean by making calories count more?
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #5  

Such as using them more,wisely....
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

So make them count more. (someone had to say it! ) being playful of course.

One way to do it is WW-esque. Make sure you have your 5 fruits and veggies before indulging.

I used to make myself meet the 8 hg's before I'd allow myself to snack on something unhealthy. Silly rule but one way to stay on track.
Now that I think of it, thanks for the reminder.
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #7  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I've done weight watchers in the past, now I calorie count. I like calorie counting because I think it helps me with portion control. WW never taught me about portion sizing, just what the bottom line was at the end of the day/week.
I have sucessfully lost weight using both methods. I think WW is a great option for people who need structure with flexibility.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Mozzy - I go to meetings weekly and portion control is often a covered topic.

Ladyrider - Everyone is going to have something that works best for them. I have tried both CC and WW. I'm sticking it out with weight watchers for 4 reasons. #1. I do feel fuller longer, #2. I LOVE the support I get at the meetings as well as various ideas, #3. I LOVE the apps for WW I can get and use on my phone, #4. I'm learning a life long way of eating...not just long enough to lose the weight.

When I was a calorie counter, I had success with weight loss, but I often felt deprived. I was still having the higher calorie meals so I wasn't getting to each much. I tried making them healthier. I tried eating more fruits and veggies, but I don't know it just didn't click with me long term. I've been doing WW for a while now, and I've also had weight loss with it. I'm much happier and satisfied through out the day. I don't think about food nearly as much because I feel full all the time. I get 42 points per day right now and I had (so far today)

Breakfast - 2 eggs over medium, 2 slices of 35 calorie toast, and 1 and 1/2 cups of skim milk with 2 tablespoons of ovaltine - totals roughly 370 calories and exactly 10 points plus.

Snack - Fuji apple, large - totals - roughly 100 calories?? and exactly 0 points.

Lunch - 6oz hamburger steak with grilled onions (lean beef), 1 cup cooked cabbage, and 1/2 whole kernal corn, and 1 large banana - (510 calories and 9 points plus)

Snack - Yoplait yogurt white chocolate covered strawberries - 90 calories and 2 points plus points

Totals so far today - calories per MFP 1,077 total PP values for the day 21

per MFP I would only have 323 calories left for dinner and per WW I have 21 points left for dinner.

Now I'm not going to be able to have 323 points for dinner and be satisfied. WW encourages you to eat in a healthy way. They encourage you to meet daily healthy checks on things like fruit, veggies, water consumption, exercise, and dairy. If I were counting calories I would skip extra fruits that help keep me full and probably drinks like milk because of the calories; however, with WW I eat/drink them and stay fuller longer.

Like I said....its probably not for everyone. You have to find what works for you, but I hope this helps you some.
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #9  
Queen of Everything

S/C/G: 178/169.5/150

Very well said McKenziesmomma !!!
MagicEyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #10  
Less of a Better Me

You can do either and be healthy. I think it is more personal choice. Pure calorie counting just by itself gives you a lot of freedom, but doesn't by itself encourage healthy eating. I mean you could eat candy all day and stay within calories.

On WW you could eat candy all day and stay within points, but you wouldn't really be following WW as you wouldn't be meeting the Good Health Guidelines. That said the word Guidelines I have always felt is a sort of a wink and a nudge that it won't be really enforced as required. Back when WW was an exchange system you absolutely had to eat your breads and your proteins and not too many fats and your veggies and milk, etc. or else you weren't on program. I still think that is a more healthy way of eating than pure points.

With points they really deemphasize the requirement to eat certain types of foods (yes it is in the GHG but most people think they are OK so long as they are within points). On the other hand, by focusing on points you can accommodate a lot of eating styles. You can follow South Beach or low carb or low fat, etc. and still be within the WW plan.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote