Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 06:20 PM   #1  

Default New to WW, again! Questions!

Hi everyone!

I've been thinking about doing WW again. I've done it in the past and had success, I just didn't stick with it. We just started a WW group at my place of employment and I've been thinking about joining. I also considered just getting my old info out and trying it on my own. Any suggestions or opinions on this?

I have the info that goes along with the Points system and it does fit into my lifestyle better than any other program I've tried. I just have trouble keeping myself honest when it comes to portions. Suggestions or tips on that would be great from all of you that post here.

I also have a question about a recipe that I love to make. I think I've broken it down into points correctly, but please check it and let me know what you all think. It is as follows:

1 boil-in-bag of brown rice 2 cups----300cal, 2g fat, 4g fiber
1 can black beans 1.75 cups---350cal, 1.75g fat, 17.5g fiber
1 can corn 1.5 cups---210cal, 3g fat, 9g fiber
1 can Rotels 1.25 cups---50cal, 0 fat, 2.5 g fiber
1 cup shredded cheese---400cal, 32g fat, 0 fiber

I come up with 7.5 cups total divided into 1310cal, 38.75g fat, and 33g fiber respectively. It comes out to approx 174cal, 5g fat, and 4.5 g fiber per cup. That should come out to 3 points per cup. Does this sound right? This is a delicious recipe by itself or with low fat tortilla chips or wrapped into a tortilla and baked. I drain the beans and corn and just mix everything together after I've boiled the rice. I don't however drain the Rotels. I add cumin, coriander, cilantro, salt, and pepper to taste. It's delicious!!

Here's a little more about myself. I'm a 28yo mother of one and I work as an RN in the ER part time. I do work out 6 days a week and have been for about 3 months now. I just haven't lost any weight and it has to be my food choices. I weight train 3 days a week alternating upper and lower body and I do 20 min of intense cardio at least 3-4 times a week. I recently tried to do the Body for Life program and found that eating 6 times a day was very hard for me. I have stuck to the work out routine though and I love it.

Please give me any suggestions or advice that has worked for you all on this board. Thanks so much!

Melissa
Old 04-16-2003, 08:09 PM   #2  
Running Babe

Melissa: Well if you're doing the BFL workouts (which are a really good routine), then chances are you're gaining muscle. Don't be afraid to add the activity points to your daily allotment of food especially on those weight training days. Measure yourself and you will probably notice a difference.

Meetings are a personal choice. Some members here go, others don't. Those are up to you, when I was losing weight I found the weigh ins kept me very honest about my eating and such.

As for portion sizes... buy a little kitchen scale, those help oodles and use small plates and small forks (my trick).

Anyhoo good luck!

Ali
Old 04-17-2003, 10:40 AM   #3  

I've been on WW for almost a year and have lost about 60 pounds. Since January the weight loss has been so slow and I'm getting frustrated and have thought about doing this on my own as they don't seem to be adding any value as how to get over this weight loss stall. I think I'm disicplined enough that I can stick with it and have truly made my lifestyle changes. I just signed up for 12 more weeks. The reason is that I want the recognization when I reach my goal. My family is getting tired or hearing about my frustrations and WW doesn't.

So, my advice to you would be to join through your work. You will be going with people that you know and this might give you the encouragement to stick with it. You know you can do once you are committed, sounds like you just need a little push.

I weigh and measure all my food just to make sure that I am recording the points correctly. Now when I eat what I should be eating and do not lose, or, horror gain I know it is nothing that I did. WW have an electronic scale at a very reasonable price that measures in both gm and oz. I bought a more expesive one but wished I had waited for their stock to arrive.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:31 PM   #4  

Hi there! I would definately suggest going to weight watcher meetings & weigh ins. I did it for awhile on my own with my mom's weight watchers stuff but I didn't last long because I didn't have any support & I didn't have to weigh in each week. I just sterted to go to weight watchers & yesterday was my second week loosing two pounds. I also have been working out for awhile & didn't see weight loss results but changing my eating has helped me loose 4 lbs in two weeks- which is a start. Better than the no results which was getting me very dicouraged. PLus you could meet people at work who have similar goals & it helps so much to have support! Good luck and I would love to learn about your progress!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:16 PM   #5  

Get into the habit of weighing or measuring *everything you eat* unless you absolutely *know* what the wt/measure/pts are. I keep several measuring cups, measuring spoons, and a small postal scale out in the open, easy to get to, in the kitchen.

I've been on WW almost a year, have lost 35 pounds (I only need to lose about 4 -5 more), and have written down every bite I have eaten in that time. I believe that is a major reason that I've succeeded. Make up your mind that you are NOT going to kid yourself about portion size - not once, not ever.

I did not join WW, but my husband is a member, we have done this together, and I have had *major* support from family and friends.

And GOOD LUCK - you can do it!
Closed Thread