Old 09-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/148.5/125

Height: 5"2'

Default If I leave 7-10 WW Points Plus in a day uneaten

But eat a ton of 0 point foods (both fruits and veg)- is this ok???

I'm only in my third week and still trying to feel this thing out.

mcorbesato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #2  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

if you are not eating any weekly or activity points, i wouldnt, if i were you. that is not something that you would sustain in the long run.
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Great job choosing fruits and vegetables!

You might want to try and get in a few more points if you can. Just to see what happens on the scale. You don't want to feel deprived, after all, and you want to make sure you're getting enough fats and other nutrients throughout the day. Like your milk servings for calcium.

Don't force yourself if you aren't hungry, but you could always have something like an ounce of nuts for about 5-6 points in the evening to help you use those leftover points.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 AM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

I'm not sure how literally you mean eating a ton of fruits and vegetables. Yes, they are free. The idea is to eat to satisfaction. However, WW has also said that they basically assumed people would eat 5 servings. How many servings is a ton? Is it 5 servings (do look and see what a serving is -- it can be smaller than you might think)? Is it 7? Probably fine. Is it 10 or 15? How much is fruit and how much is vegetables.

If you are eating a lot of servings -- way over 5 a day -- and they are mostly fruit or you are eating a lot of the higher calorie fruit (such as bananas) then you may be not eating enough other types of food and may need to cut back on the fruits and vegetables.

Are you meeting your Good Health Guidelines? At your weight, you are getting 29 points a day. If you are consistently eating 19 to 22 points a day you may not be meeting GHG.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #5  

Ok- I'm not eating a literal ton, but I'll usually have an apple after breakfast and maybe one after lunch. I also like to keep cut up bell peppers for a mindless munching snack and may go through 2-3 of this in one days. I just find myself not so hungry at night, and feel like it's better to just stop eating- but last night i had 14 points left! I don't think that is good. But I'm on the smaller side and still get the same points allowance as someone 200 lbs, so I don't know!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #6  

And yes, always meet my good health guidelines. Cottage cheese is a staple in my diet!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #7  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

you might be better off following the SFT plan--that is eating power foods mostly and not having to track them either--you eat them to satisfaction--and any "non-power foods" are tracked from your weekly and activity points. If you attend meeting, ask your leader about SFT. PM me if you like. Donna

Note that to get my 29 points--it was too much. I lowered my points (technically) and lost better than at 29. My leader is okay with it also. She said try to not go under 24 daily. I never used WP or AP. I hit the GHGs as well as I can and eat from all food groups.

However, you are relatively fresh to the PP program and should give it a really good try before switching it up to see how it works for you...it seems your issue is that you're full quickly, so that's an indicator that you may want to try the SFT program.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #8  

Thanks! I'm just doing online- I'm not really a meetings type of person. But I'll stick with this for a little while and see what happens!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #9  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorbesato View Post
Ok- I'm not eating a literal ton, but I'll usually have an apple after breakfast and maybe one after lunch. I also like to keep cut up bell peppers for a mindless munching snack and may go through 2-3 of this in one days.
That's actually quite a lot of fruits and veggies. A serving is 1/2 a cup (except for green leafy vegetables, which is one cup), so if you're eating two apples and three bell n peppers in a day, that's roughly 10 servings depending on the size of the item. While it's really good that you're eating so much fruits and veggies, bulking up on just that kind of food is probably not going to be sustainable over a long period of time.

One thing you could consider doing is dipping the apples in 2T of peanut butter, which would be 5 points, and then ranch dressing (or another kind of dressing) for the bell peppers.

Also, don't be afraid of full fat ranch dressing and other dairy too. If you're currently eating a lower fat version of cottage cheese, go for the full fat version. It's a perfect way to get more points without eating more food.

Last edited by Tudor Rose; 09-28-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #10  

WW says if you are eating so many fruits and vegetables that you can't eat your points and get in all you GHGs you are not doing the program. The program is based on 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day so if you eat many more than that, I'd cut back. Your body needs complete nutrition.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 193.0/185.0/140.0

Height: 5'1

I have a question about what WW considers a serving when it comes to fruits and veggies. What is a serving of say an apple? Is it a portion of the apple or say green beans, a cup of green beans? I thought that Veggies were a free food that we don't count points on.. Except for the starchy ones like potatoes, corn, peas and the like.. I am now officially confused..

Can someone clarify this please..

Thanks!
Ronnie
RonnieAdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 AM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieAdl View Post
I have a question about what WW considers a serving when it comes to fruits and veggies. What is a serving of say an apple? Is it a portion of the apple or say green beans, a cup of green beans? I thought that Veggies were a free food that we don't count points on.. Except for the starchy ones like potatoes, corn, peas and the like.. I am now officially confused..

Can someone clarify this please..

Thanks!
Ronnie
For most Fruits & Vegetables the serving is Half A Cup. Leafy greens (lettuces), however, a serving size is a Full Cup. It's actually incredibly easy to get in our 5 GHG servings of fruits and vegetables for the day!

Most Fruits and Vegetables are Zero Points, but we do still have to watch the portion sizes. And the reason to watch the portion sizes would be, for example, a banana. A banana is Zero Points, BUT most bananas are large enough that they contain TWO servings of fruit. So if you have one banana, you'd be eating two servings of fruit for the day. That's why they have to be monitored.

You are absolutely correct that there are certain fruits/vegetables that we count Points for. Avocados, potatoes, corn, peas and parsnips are examples of fruits/vegetables that we do have to count points for. That's due to the high fat content in the avocados, and the carb amounts in the rest listed.

It's always best if you're unsure, to quickly look up the fruit or vegetable you're about to eat and see if you need to count the Points for it or if you just need to check it off the servings under the GHG.

I hope that helped a bit. If you need further clarification, don't hesitate to ask! It can be a tricky thing to understand in the beginning, I know.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #13  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudor Rose View Post
While it's really good that you're eating so much fruits and veggies, bulking up on just that kind of food is probably not going to be sustainable over a long period of time.
I'm going to respectfully disagree. I've been doing something similar for years now. It hasn't really impeded my weight loss, but I do err on the side of more veggies than fruits. On the days when I don't have my cut up peppers, etc, I actually feel like crap, so it's a reinforcement to eat my veggies. They're a great source of Vitamin C too!

My understanding of the PP program was that you didn't have to eat all of your points in one day. It's more important that you're not starving yourself, but if you're not hungry I'd say you're okay. That being said, I don't like to go below 22 points in a day, but that's more because I exercise heavily and I need energy to do that. I tend to cycle my points - I'll have a high day, a low day, a medium day, etc. I find that works better for me than the set amount each day, and I lose more that way.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #14  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarosa27 View Post
My understanding of the PP program was that you didn't have to eat all of your points in one day. It's more important that you're not starving yourself, but if you're not hungry I'd say you're okay.
I agree that you don't have to eat all of your points, but if, say, your daily points is 29 and you make it to the end of the day with 14 left over, that means you've only eaten half of your daily points. The daily number isn't random, there is a nutritional basis for it and having 14 extra points is a lot of points to have left over.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes I go over the suggested number of servings or end the day with 5 points left over. But WW itself says that if you're eating so many veggies and fruits that you aren't hungry and not meeting your daily requirements, it's too much. My only concern would be not getting enough of the other daily vitamins and minerals and nutrional elements.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #15  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

You make a good point.

That's one of the things that I "disagree" with about the program, but everyone's different. I agree 14 is way too low, but I think 20/22 would be okay, as long as you're getting the nutrients that are recommended. I can get all my GHG in on 20 points a day, and I try to avoid filling up the remaining 9 with "filler" foods (which half the time turns out to be chocolate).
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote