Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #1  
(slim) shady

S/C/G: 193/188/155

Height: 5'2"

Default Confused about WW - Points Plus or the Old Way?

Hey guys, I am getting back into WW. I did it a few years ago and went down a pant size after a few months of strict counting.

But now there is Points Plus and I don't know what to do. I understand things are higher points but you get more points, I also understand some veg and fruit are free .... But I just saw the Points Plus calculator for the first time and see that it calculates Protein, Carb, Fat & Fiber instead of Fiber, Cal & Fat like in the old way.

I had no idea the calculator changed! I know its not a good idea to try to merge the two plans ... I just don't know how to move forward, should I stay with what I know or try the new plan?

I also don't know how to calculate my daily points allowance with the new Points Plus.

Also - this just occurred to me - if I stay with the old plan should I NOT count fruits and veg as free since thats part of the new plan?? I just want to do this as accurately as possible because I am not trying to cheat but I AM trying to add a lot more fruit and veg to my diet!

Any advice?? Thanks!

Last edited by steinanwine; 09-04-2011 at 01:50 PM.
steinanwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #2  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Hiya Steinanwine. I'm new to WWPP, but I can address a couple of your concerns. It seems like you've got all of information for the prior Points plan and if you pursue that, and there is no doubt it is a successful plan, go ahead. You can't merge the 2 plans and there's no telling if the information you'd get on Points Plus without joining is accurate. If you're going to actively join WW either in person or online, you're only going to get support for the Points Plus program--the prior program is discontinued, although there are groups of people who are WWPP members who still follow the old plan and you could talk with them. There is also a subgroup here of people following the prior Points plan.

That said, yes, the points increased for daily quotas, along with food points increasing, some stagnant, some decreasing, and fruits and veg free. If I'm not mistaken, veg (except starchy) has been free for the past 10 years at least. The free fruit, however, isn't a free for all. WW wants you to eat fruit instead of empty snacks, but doesn't expect someone will consume mass quantities in addition to meeting the other requirements. The other requirements for me, at 29 points, are 2 tsp. of oil, 2 milk products, water, multivitimin, protein at least 2 servings, and whole grains "as often as possible"....so that grain part is basically up to you and how you fit it into your plan around the requirements. The oils will take 2 points. The milk/dairy is a little flexible depending on whether you eat full fat or light or skim/fat free. Same with the grains...there is a little leeway, a bonus if you will, for choosing a) whole grains and b) light versions of whole grains that have less points than the regular foods for these categories. There is also the seafood equation too, same as the prior plan, whereby you get twice as much shrimp for instance (6 oz) opposed to beef (3 oz) for similar points.

So the bottom line is, if you're doing it yourself, and have the prior plan materials, go ahead and do that without bothering with Points Plus. My concern for anyone following Points Plus, without support, is that there isn't a readily available database of Points Plus values for you to find out how to "charge yourself" exactly what you're eating, so in that case, may not be properly following Points Plus.

Either way, they are good programs. I'm doing at-work Points Plus and lost 5 lbs in 5 weeks, but last week had a gain - which I totally anticipate will be a loss next week. Some people lose more....not me. I can say tho that I'm rarely hungry, very satisfied with my food intake and choices and that I am in this, this time, for the long haul.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you. You will find lots of support here at the forum.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #3  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I use an old plan too since I know quite a few foods and their points value. If you are comfortable with an old plan, go ahead and use it. It will still work. If you plan to attend meetings it might be easier to switch though. I never attended meetings but I can imagine it being confusing when they talk different points values etc.
I am using a really old plan and as you can see it still works. Key is to restrict what (quantity or type of food is up to you) you eat and stick to the limit. It will work!
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Points Plus is honestly very simple. It's as easy as the other plans WW has done, except that they tweaked it a little.

My big first suggestion would be to get to a meeting or two, pick up the new materials for Points Plus, and listen to what it is.

You still count points, but points have changed slightly. It calculates fat, carbs, fiber and protein. Just as a note it does not use calories, because it doesn't need to... fat, carbs & protein are what make up the calories so the formula knows the calories based on those three macronutrients alone.

Yes, most fruits and vegetables are zero points. However, each member has to be cautious of overdoing it on either of them. They might be zero points in order to encourage members to eat more of them, but they're not truly "free". Eat too many of them and it could impede weight loss. But that was honestly the same with ANY zero points food on the old plan.

If you'd rather stick to the old plan, then by all means, but be careful that you're following it as it was written, then. (No zero point fruits on the old plan, etc.)

Last edited by Lovely; 09-04-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #5  
(slim) shady

S/C/G: 193/188/155

Height: 5'2"

Thank you for the advice guys, that really helped answer some questions.

I will probably just be sticking to the old plan. I have the old calculator, I have a book of points values for food & I since I don't have any plans to pay and join weight watchers or go to meetings I probably shouldn't try to do Points Plus alone without guidance and a proper database of valued food.

The old plan definitely worked. Unfortunately my brother bought a Points Plus cookbook so I have to see if they include nutritional value with the recipes to recalculate them. Otherwise just figure out myself as I cook the recipe by looking at the labels!

But yes, I agree Lovely, the more I think about it, If I am going to do the old Points I should not count fruit as free.

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it so much!! When I did WW very strictly for about 2-3 months I went down a pant size - I'm ready for that to happen again!!
steinanwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #6  

You cannot count fruits as free if you are doing the old plan. You cannot combine plans, either follow one or the other but you can't say you are doing WW if you aren't doing Points Plus because that is the official WW program.

Go to one meeting and get all the info for Points Plus and buy a calculator for $5.95. There's free registration now.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote