Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #1  

Red face Supporting Each Other on our Weight Loss Journey!

We're back!
This is a great thread for those who want support, helpful hints, friendship and a great bunch of people to communicate with. This thread has existed for a long time and we keep re-starting it whenever the old one gets too long. Feel free to stop in and chat, we are not a "closed" group and welcome newcomers. Some of us have been together for well over a year, some only a few days, but we care about each other. We offer tips, we share, we pick each other up of the floor when we've had rough times and we applaud when someone does well.

So, please do stop on by and share a bit, support is what it's all about! We can really do this together.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #2  

Good morning. Here I am again. Still trying, still journaling.
I did something a bit different today. I started my journal by filling in what I planned for dinner and dessert (1 point WW bar) and knew what I would have left to play with for the day. I keep going over my points these last few days and I need to get better control.
So, planning ahead is my focus for the day, what is yours?
Old 02-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #3  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Linda! Everyone must be busy today.

I've been recovering from surgery (I had an operation three weeks ago) and haven't been on plan. I start again tomorrow -- I have only gained one pound, according to my home scale, which was very good news! I'm one pound away from my 10%.

Your new way seems to work for a lot of people -- I've read people do that on the WW forums. I hope it works for you. It makes a lot of sense. (It wouldn't work for me. My bad times are lunch and afternoon.)
Old 02-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #4  

Xan, welcome.
I hope you are feeling better after your surgery and can get back on track. One pound isn't bad at all considering that you probably have not been as active as before. I hope it goes well for you now.
I didn't do as well as I had hoped yesterday and ended up using a few flex points. I had hoped to bank them for today as we leave for an out of state birthday bash for a family member and there will be lots of food, drink and whatnot.
I talked with my leader about it on Tuesday and her advice was for me to write everything down and be true to myself. I am vowing to do that. Maybe it will help me to be aware more. I'm truly "scared" that I may blow it. But, it is just one night.
I have problems staying on track at restaurants and at social occasions. To me, the food is part of the fun experience. I get happy and busy enjoying other peole and my mind kind of switches into a different gear and then I blow it. I'll use any excuse, much like an alcaholic might, I suppose.
Then, the following day, I always beat myself up for it.
So, this evening, I do vow that if I do nothing else, I will write it down.
I hope the others who have been here before join in, but if they don't I hope new people come on board. I need the support. A weekly meeting isn't enough to keep me on track. Coming here in between is what I need.
I would love to be down to about 150 by May.
I think I shall make that my short term goal. Then, we shall see what happens after that. So, May 1st I need to be at 150!
Would anyone else like to set a May 1 goal?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #5  

Happy Saturday all!

I have to say, I'm kind of glad to be back here on the WW side! I feel a little more "at home."

I realized last night that I only have EIGHT weeks left until we leave for Florida. I keep saying that I'm going to start, but realizing last night how little time I have left, I HAVE to start today. I know how I am, and if I don't make a for real effort to lose some weight before we go, I will end up letting that affect my mood on vacation (which is sad.) We are going down to see my sister, and there has always been this feeling of her being a little better than me...she is older, and I've always looked up to her. She and I have the same body types, but she has always been thinner. She has NEVER thrown it in my face or done anything that has made me feel that way, it's just something that deep inside I've always felt. Plus, being in FL, we are going to be going to the beach, be at their pool, be in shorts and short sleeve shirts (am I ready for that yet?!!! I'm so white and pasty!!!!!) I just don't want to go and have that sinking feeling in the back of my mind that eight weeks ago I could of been working on myself but instead I was to lazy and kept putting it off.

So today, I'm going to dig out my pedometer. It's going to be warmer out (high of 41!) so maybe I'll bundle up a little and go for a walk around the lake. Or maybe I'll dig out my Buns of Steel 2000 tape (I always LOVED that tape!) and do that. I'm going to eat right; Saturdays and Sundays dh always makes pancakes and bacon, but I asked him last night if he would be upset if I made something else (he didn't care...he said he didn't make them for me, but for the girls! LOL!) So my menu for today....

Breakfast-
egg whites-1
lc cheese-1
turkey-1
low carb wrap-1

Lunch-no yolk noodles w/veggies-5

Snack-baby carrots-1

Dinner-homemade pizza-10
Dessert-low fat ice cream-3

Total-23/27

I think it's going to be hard the first few days to really get back op, but maybe not. I have a lot of 0 pt veggies in the house; I bought a head of cauliflower the other day, so I might put some of that in one of those steam fresh microwave bags, mash it up with some salt and pepper. I did that yesterday and it was pretty good and filling. I also have a bag of lettuce, so if I really need something to munch on, I could have a simple salad of that and raspberry balsamic vinegar. I just have to keep my "eye on the prize" and think of myself on the beach. In a bathing suit.

Linda-I am with you for a May 1 goal. WHEN I get to my April 4th goal, I will only be 20 lbs from my total goal (maybe slightly more because I know my scale is a little off.) I would like to shoot for 165 for May 1. Linda, we can do this! Maybe I need to have a "little Linda" on my shoulder when I eat, saying..."You shouldn't be eating that!!!" "Put down the fork and go exercise!!!"

Xan-That is good that you've only gained 1lb since your surgery; it is really hard to stay op when your schedule has been thrown off. Get back op today and get moving! =)

I hope everyone has a fantastic day! Chat later!
Old 02-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #6  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks, Linda and Paige! Not quite ready to seriously move yet, but I am back on track. I still have a lot of work to catch up on (about 60 book reports to grade!) so that's the excitement I have in store over the weekend! But I am pledged to avoid any sweet snacks (my ruin) and stay strictly on plan.

Good luck -- writing what you bite, and committing to a future goal are both excellent strategies.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #7  

Xan, I hope you are ready to seriously move soon, but any kind of movement would be helpful. For example, you could sit in a chair and do biceps curls with hand weights. Not sure what kind of surgery you had, though, but that was just one example. If you have carpal tunnel, that would not be the thing to do. But, sitting in a chair and doing leg lifts would then be a good thought?

Paige, I had forgotten about "little Linda" and she sure needs to be sitting on our shoulders reminded us what to do. Consider her right with you, the old drill sergeant, telling you what to do today!
As for me, I am back from my weekend away. The old tracker was done yesterday. I blew the week by using about 18 more flex points, but it was a family birthday celebration. It's all over and done with and today begins with a new tracker and a fresh chance to succeed.
However, the next two weeks are going to be difficult. My aunt died over the weekend (the other side from our visit) and I will have a service and two family gatherings to go to. Plus, it is my son's 21st birthday next Monday and my birthday on the 18th, two days later.
I sit here trying not to be discouraged and I need to remember that a few days off program are not what causes me to be overweight, it's those other times and the "long run" that will count most. I can't just give up and say, oh well this is going to be a rough couple of weeks with lots of extra foods and two birthdays. There are always going to be excuses, aren't there? So, it's time to get to work and work my way around these events by making some very good choices in between.

So, here is today's "rough sketch" plan for eating. I plan on doing a bit of grocery shopping later and don't really have a fixed meal in mind yet, but as I write this I think I will figure out what to buy?
Points target:

Breakfast:
2 point frozen bran/blueberry muffin
1 WW yogurt
sliced apple
total 4

Lunch:
salad, 2 tsp oil and vinegar - 2
sliced turkey 2
one slice Swiss cheese (low fat) - 2
1 slice lite bread 0, you only need to count if you have two slices!

Snack:
Popcorn

Dinner:
on hold.... I think I'm going to look through a few of my WW cookbooks while eating breakfast and see what appeals. Right now, nothing appeals and I need a plan. Quick enough so I don't get discouraged, filling and tasty enough so I will stick to the plan, not too expensive so I can afford the ingredients.....
Have a great day and it is very good to be here again.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #8  

Hello everyone!
Today is weigh in day, but I have a doctor's appointment about an hour away from home and don't know if I'll make it back this way on time for my meeting.
I weighed myself this morning here at home and was pretty discouraged. I think I'll have a gain. But, I did go away for the weekend and I did have wine, birthday cake, and all sorts of food. So, I have no one else to blame buy myself.
I have this real problem. So many events take place where it's all about the food and I so very much want to participate and then I have such remorse afterwards.
I have a funeral on Monday, plus that day is my son's birthday and two days later it's my birthday. So, there is going to be more food and more cakes in my life.
It's so hard to keep facing these challenges, but I want to continue and I want to lose.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Hi all hope everybody had a good weekend...I did....BUT....this coming weekend is going to be GOODER!!!!(LOL),DH is taking me somewhere,he won't say...but I would almost bet $100 that it's Nashville!!Can't wait!!!
Linda like I said in my last post, "write what I bite" I put it in my siggy...if that's alright? It's gonna be hard getting back on track...I'm going to the grocery Thursday and I'm stocking up girl!!!! veggies veggies and more veggies,bring 'em on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paige..I visited your my space page...you really make some B-E-A-utiful cakes,and you inspired me to start my own my space page....no pics,I'm still trying to figure out how to do that and also talk DH into letting me...yeah he's my "DADDY" LOL what can I say he's pretty freakish about stuff like that,which is the reason why I've never put my pic on here,which I took some "trial" pics earlier,and I really don't take good pics........maybe I'm just too critical lol!!
Anyway,I've been sticking to oats of a morning....the sugarfree kind,which are pretty awesome...and if we EVER get out of this peanut butter scare I'm going to add PB and whole wheat toast to my breakfast agenda......I have to say,oats,pb and bananas....3 things that give me awful awful awful heartburn after I eat them,but when I stay on plan with WW ,I can eat all 3 together and it never bothers me.....weird huh??? I'm weird.........
well I guess I'll go and report back Friday with my weigh in results and I really hope they are good......but I have feeling ya'll ,this week is TOM week and I dread the visit...especially if we're out of town..lol!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #10  

Trysh, I'm eating peanut butter from the jar, reports say that the kind to watch our for is used in commercial kitchens. I feel very safe. Actually, just so you know I am not eating peanut butter all the time but only due to high points. I love it and would have it more often, but an not willing to give up so many points for it. It's a luxury item that I allow about every two weeks or so in my diet.

I did make it to my meeting yesterday and my WW weigh in was up .6. I'm still not changing my tracker, I'm hovering within 164, but I felt badly about my weekend indulgences nonetheless.
I can't let social occasions that are all bunched up together in one month get to me, I have to learn how to ride the storm with grace.
I do have to take it one day at a time.
I already told my husband no candy for Valentines Day and also asked that we not go out to dinner on Valentines Day. We have two family birthdays (mine and my sons) and a funeral (with a spread of food afterwards) as well as a lunch out today to deal with this week. This all comes after last weekend with my brother in law's 50th birthday bash that made me "blow it".
So, Usually, for Valentines, he would take me out for a special meal but I asked if we could eat at home Sat. night and I'll find a nice healthy choice. Maybe we'll cook together and I'll find a really nice WW friendly recipe? Any ideas? It's just the two of us at home and I think I will try to cook seafood. I have a Greek Shrimp Scampi recipe that is originally from Cooking Light magazine that is a winner. Perhaps I'll resurrect that?
Here is a link to it if anyone else wants to try it:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1714536
I think this is the best recipe Cooking Light has ever put out.

Today, I am meeting four family members out of state for a lunch at a place called Bugaboo Creek Steak house. I love places like this, they are similar to Longhorn, Outback and that kind of thing. I'm trying to formulate in my head what is "safe" to order for food. I have looked at their on line menu and I am concerned. I think it's best to make a decision about what to eat ahead if you can.
Dottie's Weight Loss zone on line doesn't list them for dining establishments so points for everything are unknown. I wish places like this would have a "Weight loss sure bet" meal of some kind that is an ever-changing special that allows a person to have some fun eating out but know they are being safe. I note that Bugaboo has gluten free things on their menu, but that doesn't go far enough for people like us, does it?
I'm also planning only a 3 point breakfast to help balance off a larger than normal lunch. WW yogurt, lite toast with butter spray and a piece of fruit. I think I may have a 4 point WW Smart Ones meal for dinner with veggies on the side as well.
It's hard to plan, though, with no idea of points. I bought the WW dining out book and, of course, Bugaboo is not listed. I should have suggested we go to an Applebee's, but it's out of state and an area about an hour from my home. My sister picked the place as it's close to the highway and close to her workplace. I'll have to "make due" and do the best I can.
So, onward I go and I am not giving up, but some days it all just gets to me. I have to accept that there are peaks and valleys with my motivation and also with my weight. I'm at a peak for weight right now. But, if you think about this two week period in my life (happens every year, except for the funeral at this time) it's really always going to be a challenge.
Feb. 5th, brother in law's b-day
Feb. 14th Valentines b-day
Feb. 16th my son's b-day'
Feb. 18th my b-day
So, that's 3 cakes within two weeks and then a holiday thrown in as well as "normal" temptations and life. I need to strategize and accept this time period and come out a winner.
To top it off, we have plans to dine out Monday evening (son is turning 21 and I am his designated driver for a family dinner out) and then again on my own birthday.

I'm thinking of making my own special cake this year, the one where you add a can of diet soda to a cake mix. Maybe if I have that, I will feel like I still acknowledged my own birthday, but I will have rode out the storm.
So, if I even break even in this next week without another gain, it will be a success.

Last edited by derrydaughter; 02-11-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #11  

Happy Wednesday all!

It seems like everytime I am really trying to get back into it, something comes along and really throws me off...I guess that is life. I have been just really down this week about being home; it's only been 2 1/2 weeks that I've been away from the cafe, and I'm already so lonely! For as long as I can remember, I've always had something that I was working towards...when I was younger, I was in school...then I got married and had kids, then went back to school...there was always some goal that I was trying to get to. I've been trying to put my weight loss as that goal now, and just can't seem to get focused. And then on Monday, I got a letter from Dept of Labor saying that the cafe was fighting my unemployment, because I quit! Technically I did, but it was because my hours were cut back so drastically that I couldn't afford to pay for child care. So I had to fill out forms and fax in some other items proving this. I'm just so HURT that these people that I worked side by side with for over a year, and thought of as family, apparently think so poorly of me. I worked my tush off for them. I'm really feeling so hurt, lonely, and...outcasted. Anyway...

So the highlight of my day today is...uhhh...grocery shopping? Yep. My older dd has a dr appt this morning, then I have to take her to school, then little dd & I are heading off to grocery shop and then have lunch with dh. We have been having "packed lunch lunch dates" with him to save money. I was surprised when we first started doing this; we thought that dd would beg to get fast food, since we meet in the food court in the mall, but she doesn't. And she eats all of her lunch, which she never does when we get fast food. It's nice to do that for me, too...I can control what I eat and don't have to spend $$.

Linda- Good luck on the next couple weeks. It's going to be a little tough on my end, too...I have a Valentine's dinner planned, and then my birthday is the 23rd, followed by dd's on the 28th. Not as many events as you, but some obstacles! Have a "little Paige" on your shoulder and I'll have a "little Linda" on mine!

Trysh- Be sure that you add me as a friend to your myspace page. You can make your page private, too, so if you do add photos, only the people you add as friends can view your page. If you end up going to Nashville, I am sooooo jealous! I LOVE Nashville; we almost moved there a little over a year ago.

Ok, I need to go hop in the shower before dds get up. Hope everyone (including myself!) has a great, op day!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:17 AM   #12  

Paige, I'm sorry about the unemployment thing. It all boils down to dollars and cents and remember that these people are clinging to their business in a tough economy. I think they pay something if you collect, I could be wrong. You did quit, but you were forced into it due to cutting hours. I'll you'll win the claim.
I feel for you. I know that life needs a purpose more than you know. When my DD left for college in August, my baby, I cried for something like two days. I miss her so and she was one of my reasons for "being". My son still lives at home, but he doesn't "need" me like he used to. I have felt alone and without purpose off and on, but I do lots of volunteer work.
Paige, I know you are a pastry chef for the most part, but I wonder if you could volunteer at a soup kitchen to help cook and that would make you feel good? You could write off your time and transportation on your taxes, I think. Even if you were not contributing cash to the family, you could be making a "reverse entry" on your tax return. I think people often overlook that. I can write off something like 25 cents a mile for my travels and all expenses and time. It's worth checking into if you have an interest.
Also, my dear, never forget the cookbook. If you are not working, then make a set time each day when the girls are at school to sit and write. I hope you do that.
Good luck to you as well this next couple of weeks.
I remember now that your birthday is coming up right after mine. Do you do your own cake? Will you make it a low point cake or just go for it?
Also, grocery shopping can be fun if you challenge yourself and stick to your list. I feel good on grocery shopping days as I could almost consider it an activity point! Pushing a heavy cart around a big store and then bring all the stuff up and down stairs from our garage is a great deal of work. So, enjoy the activity!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #13  

Though I ended the day using 6 flex points, I felt better about
myself. Just wanted to outline how I planned the day. Things could
have been so much worse.
I had a planned lunch out with my elderly aunt and uncle as well as
my sister and two cousins. We try to gather about twice a year. We
all live kind of far from each other, so it's a special occasion for
us all. My aunt and uncle's favorite place to dine is Bugaboo Creek
Steakhouse as I had mentioned yesterday. Ordinarily, this might be OK for a normal week to take in stride,
but this time period (2 weeks) is extraordinary as far as eating challenges. The Linda of the past would have just said that Weight Watchers will have to wait a week and just gone for it, but I feel that I tried at least. I am determined to at least make some efforts this week. I might end up with another pound or two gained,
but if I let things get out of control, it could be a 4 or
even a 5 pound gain.
Yesterday's breakfast was, as planned, 3 points.
I went to the restaurant's on line menu and looked before I even left for the place. It's very difficult, this place has those fried onions that I love (I passed) and they have all sorts off ooey gooey treats that I adore. I decided that my best best and something that I could at least know basically what I was dealing with was a plain
fillet Mignon, the smallest one they had, a baked potato (I left about a third of it on the plate) and ordering a salad with oil and vinegar on the side and asking them to leave
cheese and croutons off. I had one teeny slice of the bread and I counted flex points for a small amount of butter of the potato. That was it. I had no tastes offered to me from other people's plates and I had no dessert or extras.
When I had dinner last night it was a WW Smart Ones frozen meal that was 4 points and a big bowl of string beans. Dessert was sugar free Jello that is zero points.
I balanced off a larger than normal lunch with some very low point choices for the other meals.
I managed to eat well and not make a big deal about it in front of others. I did have something nice and didn't leave the place feeling like I was starving.
I didn't lose control and had exactly what I planned for before leaving the house.
Though I did use more flex points than I use in any normal day, it was still more of a success then it could have been.
Linda in NH
Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

derry daughter- you did a really awesome job! Everything you did was planned and you didn't get out of control!!

This is my first time posting in this thread. This seems like a great place for support.. This weekend I'm going to a play on Sat. with a bunch of ladie.. going to see Mama Mia. Then we're going to my place for dinner. I'm making bruschetta and lowfat stuffed celery for appetizers. Low-fat shrimp fettuchini alfredo and salad for dinner with homemade ww bread (using that for the bruschetta also). For dessert, my mom is bringing apple pie, but I also made some low-fat biscotti... that I will be dipping chocolate. But the biscotti alone minus chocolate come out to 110cals for a big one... most of them are 50-75 calories each. With the chocolate they won't be terrible. Better than the apple pie LOL..
Hopefully I can stay on track and not pig out at my own dinner LOL....

Overall I've been doing better. I'm staying within my point range each day. I've been planning better. I only started 3 weeks ago. The first 2 were a mess trying to stay within point and had my TOM. This week has been much better and I plan on keeping it that way!!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #15  

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

TGIF!!!!!!!!!! DH is coming home tonight from Michigan,Thank the Lord!!.......
I.....finished that danged ol' couch and chair,all I had left was the skirts...
so thank goodness for that...well I let myself down yesterday,I was in wally world,but didn't get any groceries...really didn't have the time...because I had to get back and finish my project so I didn't have to work today....(I really didn't want to work today and I usually don't work on Fridays unless it's a have to thing....so here I am...sore from crawling around on the floor because I had to be eye level with the bottom of the couch and chair....there has got to be a better way to put a skirt on!!LOL
Linda~ I looked on bugaboo's website and if it were me..I'd stick with the grilled stuff....the grilled fresh salmon looked awesome with the veggies....and what I would do is find out how many ounces that is if it doesn't say in the menu and just use the point book for that many ounces of salmon...it looks like it's around 8 oz to me or maybe a little less..and the veggies are 0 right? except for maybe the squash,I'm not sure, it's been a long time for me on WW girl!! and I saw that there were smashed taters...is that what that is....then I would substitute if they allow that and get double veggies!!! Veggies are really my best friend when I'm doing WW....and that's what I'll be doing this weekend at Outback...(if Nashville is where we're going,lol)...
Paige~ Hey girl....Thanks I'll add you as a friend!! and how do you make your page private ? I was wondering how to do that...that would probably put DH a little more at ease...I'll continue this later my phone keeps ringing..........
Paige~
Closed Thread