Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Looking over my tracker for the week, my favorite snacks have been apples, nectarines, cantaloupe, and string cheese. I also really like the Fiber One Antioxidant Bars and Quaker Chewy Bars but I have to be careful with these -- I start finding a "reason" to have more than one a day and then I'm in trouble. They're also expensive! They are nice, though, to slip into my purse when I'm out all day running errands.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #32  

Default Peaks and Valleys

Yesterday was one of "those" days.

I think it's important to talk about. I've been a good girl and have been proud of that.
I ate lunch out with friends and was not the sharpest crayon in the box when it came to ordering. I'm feeling sad and sorry this morning.

So, unlike times in the past, when I would kind of just say "what's the use?" and it would start a downward spiral, I'm going to power through this.
I'll increase a bit of activity today.
I'm going to track.
Going to a movie later, I think. I'm going to put grapes and a rice cake in zip lock bags and sneak them into my purse, will only buy a water or diet coke there. Planning ahead is essential.

Will write down yesterday's damage this morning and do what they call "bite the bullet". Last night I was feeling bad and didn't write it all down. Quite honestly, I don't even know where to being, but I will do my best.

I was hoping to use up my points plus on the weekend as we are going away and this is bad... bad as we are staying at my in laws and I have no control over what food I will be served. I think I'll pack some fruit or something?

Another day, another new plan, another learning.

Keeping the faith is harder on some days than other other days.
I don't want to let some back times control me. We are not perfect, trying to be a perfectionist is responsible for me giving up more than once. We are all guilty of that? One small set back does not an entire weight loss program make? Hope that makes sense.

derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 179.2/179.2/115

Height: 5'4"

I'm in! I need some motivational support to keep me on track; I seem to start things and fizzle out after awhile...not this time!

Wedding dress shopping gave me a HUGE wake up call! I realize dress sizes are usually made smaller then normal clothes so you have to order bigger, but when you go to try something on and they don't have your sample size, and can't see what the dress would actually look like...it's really depressing! I've vowed to not try on another wedding dress until I've lost at least 30 lbs...I have to order by March so I have time!

Started the morning with a yummy light breakfast, going to do some cleaning around here this morning and hopefully will be getting on the elliptical during nap time this afternoon!
mamaemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #34  

Default Quality vs. Quantity,etc.

Today, as an exercise, examine the quality of what you are eating.

Chips for 3 points vs. a boneless chicken breast for 3 points?
Zero point fruit vs. a 2 point cookie?
2 tspns olive oil with vinegar on that salad or 3 point salad dressing?

Are there ingredients listing on the container/package of the food you are putting into your mouth that you don't even know what they are?

Did the food you are eating exist at the time your grandmother was alive? Is it synthetic or natural?

Today, set a goal to make quality a concern for you.

Please let us know if thinking about this has changed your mind about a food you were going to eat?
Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #35  

S/C/G: see ticker

Derrydaughter, I had one of those days a couple of weeks ago. We had cpompany, fired up the grill, and had 93% lean brugers for dinner. With huge slabs of sharp cheddar. And salt & vinegar chips. Two days beofre my weigh-in day. I started thinking, "oh, f- it all, I am just going to eat like a pig and have an awful weigh in." But, I stopped myself, and tried to look for the positives. It *was* extra-lean meat, and I actually only had about 1.5 "servings" of the chips, not half the bag like I used to, and I still went out and jogged my dogs that evening, so it wasn't a total failure. And even if it was, I really shouldn't compound failure upon failure. That only hurts me in the end.

This is really a difficult exercise for me, changing my way of looking at things, but I am trying to make myself do it more and more. Last night, after jogging, I actually felt great, with my shirt clinging to my back and my face covered with sweat. Three months ago, I thought it was a gross feeling, and I hated being sweaty or looking all hot & red, but now I am starting to really like it, because it is [further] proof of how far I've come. When I first started in late May, I could barely jog - maybe 1/8 or 1/4 mile at a time before I had to walk or I'd die - and now I can do over 3 miles, and much more quickly than before (in about 30 minutes, on hilly terrain). If I keep making myself look at the positives, eventually I won't have to *make* myself & it will all come naturally..
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrydaughter View Post
Today, as an exercise, examine the quality of what you are eating.

Chips for 3 points vs. a boneless chicken breast for 3 points?
Zero point fruit vs. a 2 point cookie?
2 tspns olive oil with vinegar on that salad or 3 point salad dressing?

Are there ingredients listing on the container/package of the food you are putting into your mouth that you don't even know what they are?

Did the food you are eating exist at the time your grandmother was alive? Is it synthetic or natural?

Today, set a goal to make quality a concern for you.

Please let us know if thinking about this has changed your mind about a food you were going to eat?
I really do find myself eating a lot more unprocessed foods, fruit, vegs, grilled meats.

I have a weakness for Fiber One bars (damn, they are like candy, only yummier IMHO), but I know that if I eat them, I need to supplement my meal with good, healthy fruit.

My lunches are usually vegetables & hummus, yogurt (usually Greek, with a bit of honey or preserves), fruit, cheese sticks, and/or some kind of grain like couscous or quinoa.

Dinner is a touchy subject, because my husband is the one who makes dinner and he resports to convenience foods a couple of times a week, but I account for it, and supplement with more natural, unprocessed things like fresh fruit or vegetables. And I limit the frozen melas to the actual 9/10/11/12 point serving size, instead of filling up on moer than one serving (mitigating the "damage").

I almost never do any kind of low calorie, pre-packaged snack, like those 100 cal snack packs or WW tastycakes. First off, I don't think they satisfy my craving for a naughty snack, and secondly, I don't really enjoy the way they taste anymore.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #37  

Default Convenience foods

Betty, I wonder if you were to double up when you make the "good" foods and freeze them so that when your husband cooks, he has stuff he can cook that is not "convenience" food? Just a thought.

I have a WW cookbook called something like "now and later". I love the concept of it. You make, for example, a tomato sauce that you have one night with pasta. Then, the leftover sauce has stuff added to it and becomes another meal. There are all sorts of great ideas.
So, the pot roast you have one night, can be made into a low fat beef stroganoff another night, etc. You don't need that cookbook to do this, you can be inventive as well.

Those convenience foods have added fats and preservatives. But, if that is how he cooks and you have busy lives, I guess I would also be thankful to have his help in the kitchen.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #38  

Lightbulb Saving up for a big meal? Wise or not? :devil:

So, if you plan a big dinner.... like Thanksgiving, or going to your favorite restaurant, do you starve yourself all day so you have the extra points?

Is that wise?

What are your opinons about this?
I've wondered.
I try to have lower point foods for my other meals of the day and I do try to add in acitivy when it comes to things like this, but starving yourself.... hmmmm? Could it make you actually hungrier and contribute to eating more?

I've often had a small snack before going out to dinner and a glass of water. I find it helps me stay in control a bit better.

Have you tried anything that works?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #39  

I am ready to jumpstart into a new dieting direction. I am trying to stay focused on dieting.
I have no kitchen. Mine was taken out last week because of water damage.

So now I am working out of a makeshift kitchen without a stove or oven.
I set up a hot plate, my coffee pot and my microwave yesterday in a spare bedroom.

And I now have hot water to take a shower, but no air conditioning and no TV.
I feel like I am camping out inside my house. I use paper plates and plastic cutlery.
I have to wash pots in the bathroom sink...and my clothes at the laundromat...sigh. It will be 6 weeks before I have a kitchen again.
I'm glad I am not in the path of the hurricane.

So I am eating MRE"S for the coming week, and anything I can find in my freezer, and canned goods.

I am still counting my calories though. My electricity is on.
And a club I belong to is installing a small aerobics room, so I can go there to exercize in air conditioned comfort...and watch their TV also.

IN THE COOKIES OF LIFE, FRIENDS ARE THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #40  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

@Jolena, I lived with a 2 burner electric "stove top" for a year, cooking for 2 people. It can be done and I wish you luck and a lovely new kitchen.

@ Betty, I like how you came to a halt and realized that a) you didn't completely sabotage yourself and b) didn't continue down a path to ruin. I know that we are too close to the subject to be objective and many many times when we think we've gone too far to reel back....when we track, we realize that the damage was minimal...not as grand as we had perceived. On the other hand, there are those times when we think forget it and continue into oblivion. It is those times that we really have to take stock and redouble our efforts to get back in the game. I think we are all very hard on ourselves, generally, and need to give ourselves some credit along with all that tough love we hand to ourselves.

@Derry, hiya friend. It seems from the sounds of your posts that you are back to your cheerful self, and I'm glad to see that. I was worried about you for a hot minute. You are such a wonderful motivator to us that when I see you down, I just want you to be able to turn it around for yourself. Hugs to you.

I am only short in this WWPP journey. I don't think I'm to the point where I an really let down my (food) guard because I am yet suspicious of the program. I embraced it somewhat, and questioned it too, and got a lot of good feedback here to help me better trust the program...and it is slowly working for me, so I'm joyful. I am fairly consistently making better choices and good choices. I have totally fallen in love with smoothies with fruit and skim milk as a filling, long-lasting breakfast, and as an evening treat. Good way to get the milk requirement. Love, love, love Greek yogurt now.

So hugs to all and keep up the wonderful work you're doing with yourself and in encouraging others. Donna

Last edited by 124chicksinger; 08-30-2011 at 06:20 PM.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #41  

Default Sunday

Good morning!
I see we have spammers here posting ads in this thread. Oh well, just ignore it.

"Where there is a will, there is a way"
That is a good saying this morning.
If you do not have a kitchen, it just requires you to be inventive.
Here are a few ideas:

microwaves do quite well to cook lots of foods, especially vegetables
salads can be purchase ready made
fruits do not require cooking
If you have a George Foreman type of grille that can help or a crock pot.
I once survived 8 1/2 days without electricity and cooked on top of my wood stove. It sure was interesting, but it worked pretty well.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #42  

Default Mondays are new beginnings!

I like Mondays. For me, I get to start a new tracker and the sins of the past weekend are over and done.
But, after tracking all week and really being honest with myself, I ended the week on plan, meaning I didn't go over with my points plus and used all 49 of them. So, I am happy. Weather that shows a reward at the scale tomorrow or not is yet another thing entirely. We shall see.
I've been absent from my WW meetings for about a month. Vacation and then fear kept me away. I'm planning on going back tomorrow. If I show a gain, then I do. If it's a loss, great, and I continue.

Just posted about the quality vs. quantity thought on another thread and I'd like to talk a bit more about this.

Here are a few observations from me, but I am not practicing what I preach here, at least not all the time:

1. quality vs. quantity: 29 points is not all equal, lean protein, low fat, those hard to get in dairy and oils are so important and we all tend to let those things slide.

2. exercise: darn. Yes, if we truly add in those activity into our day it could really be the key to it all as well as the quality thing above.

If we follow the program and stop junk foods that INCLUDE some of those WW treats we buy, we might have a better success rate.

Spoken by the person who had a 2 point WW ice cream on top of a 2 point WW little chocolate cake the other night. Could I have had a 2 point glass of low fat milk and a banana instead? Maybe the other two points might not even have been necessary?

So, today's goal is to spent time on my treadmill. I'm going grocery shopping and the goal is healthy choices and to plan some dinners ahead of that shopping trip and get the right ingredients. I'm going to buy fruits and some fresh veggies and I'm going to plan a bit better.

I have a meeting on Wednesday morning and there will be food. I'm planning to bring some "safe" snacks and plan ahead. Planning, a very good thing!

NOTE: I had a slight loss on my own scale this morning. However, will not change my weight here until I get an official WW weight in. They differ so much from my home scale.

Last edited by derrydaughter; 08-29-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #43  

Despite all the inconviences of not having a kitchen, I did lose one pound last week.

The carpenters are installing the floorboards today and tomorrow in 4 rooms.
It will take a month before the cupboards even arrive.
And I have wall damage that needs to be repaired also.

And carpeting needs replacing in 3 rooms. All my furniture is gone except for the bedrooms.

Best of luck to all of you on your weight loss journey!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #44  

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrydaughter View Post
Betty, I wonder if you were to double up when you make the "good" foods and freeze them so that when your husband cooks, he has stuff he can cook that is not "convenience" food? Just a thought.

I have a WW cookbook called something like "now and later". I love the concept of it. You make, for example, a tomato sauce that you have one night with pasta. Then, the leftover sauce has stuff added to it and becomes another meal. There are all sorts of great ideas.
So, the pot roast you have one night, can be made into a low fat beef stroganoff another night, etc. You don't need that cookbook to do this, you can be inventive as well.

Those convenience foods have added fats and preservatives. But, if that is how he cooks and you have busy lives, I guess I would also be thankful to have his help in the kitchen.
I do this as much as I can, but it is summer, and we aren't in the mood for pot roasts and casseroles, plus I am a full time work-away-from-home mom [with an hour commute each way] and my husband is the stay at home dad, and I don't have as much time to cook as I used to. Once the weather turns, I'll make more soups and casseroles on weekends for eating during the week.

And I can't really come down on my husband for not doing more grilled meats & salads b/c getting to the store is much more of a chore with a 10 month old. And I hate to say it, but even with the processed foods, I am still losing weight and getting more efficient with my exercise, so I am not really worried about it at this point. As long as he makes sure to get me fruit and veggies for my daytime meals, I can live with it.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #45  

As long as you are losing weight, Betty, then you are doing OK.

You might try, though, to give him a "what I need and what I would like" chat and list some time.
Fall is in the air this morning in NH, though, 55 when I got up this morning. Soon, those casseroles and other things will be more inviting.

As for me, food boredom has become an issue. It becomes tempting to order take out Chinese or go to a restaurant when all the food in the house just seems unappealing.

So, yesterday, before I went grocery shopping, I dug out a few of my WW cook books. We have pork lo mien for dinner last night and it was great. I doubled the recipe and have plenty for my kids and I to have leftover.

I plan to attend a WW meeting this morning. I'm kind of scared. Even though I've been working hard on my program again, I have not seen the scale move. I had vacation and let things slip. I went back to one meeting and used a no weight in pass and then skipped a few meetings. Even with all this effort the last two weeks, I think I might still show a gain, according to their records. But, I am determined to go back and make this work.

Will adjust my tracker here accordingly, if an adjustment is necessary.

Last edited by derrydaughter; 08-30-2011 at 06:53 AM.