Old 05-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #1  
foodie on a diet!

S/C/G: 180.2/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default WW while pregnant?

My husband and I have decided to start trying to conceive by the end of the summer. He wants to conceive right away but I told him I am still twenty pounds from where I want to be and to please let me get to my ideal weight before getting pregnant. I want to be fit, healthy.. I dont want to gain too much weight while pregnant, I want to continue with my exercise, etc. So I do want to be a bit smaller before then.

My question is have any of you followed WW while pregnant? I am DEATHLY afraid to gain too much weight. I am at 168-170lbs right now and want to be at about 150 by the time I get pregnant. My mother is telling me that I will gain at least 30lbs with the pregnancy but that seems like SO much and that REALLY scares me.

Im excited about starting a family but im SO scared of what it will do to my weight especially after ive worked SO hard!
uncontentgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

another lady on here is on WW - and shes having twins! (im sorry but her name elludes me right now).. you can look for the thread, its called "AHEM"

i wasnt on WW when i got pregnant and the 40lbs i'd lost prior (alone) i'd gained back... and lost 23lbs in child birth O_O.
Just eat well... and exercise (walk, swimming)... dont use pregnancy as an excuse to bum it. I did for 6 months and thats why i gained so much. I indulged, grilled cheeses, potato cravings (O_O), anything i wanted.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #3  
foodie on a diet!

great, thanks!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5

my friend was on weight watchers and when she got pregnant they told her she had to quit.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #5  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

It IS possible to not gain much excess weight while you're pregnant, but it's hard. Think about how TOM hormones affects your appetite-and then multiply that by about 10. Atleast. On the good days.

That doesn't mean that you have to indulge, it just means it is going to be more tempting. I personally gained ALOT of weight with all 3 of mine.

You will lose 15-20 pounds within a few days after having a baby-the weight of the baby, placenta, amniotic fluid, etc.

While you're pregnant just isn't the time to be worried about creating a calorie deficit. If you're concerned and want to be vigilant about not undoing all your efforts losing the weight beforehand I'd definitely talk to a doctor or a nutritionist about how many calories you'd need daily while pregnant to maintain your weight (aside from the actual pregnancy gain of baby, fluids, etc). No (fat) gain, no loss is the ideal. If you only gain what you'll lose when you give birth then you've got it made.

Only you can know when you're ready to have a baby and there are so many other factors to consider besides just this, but no matter what after the fact it is very likely that you'll have some work to do after you give birth whether you lose all the weight first or not.

You can choose and control your diet while you're pregnant and not have the pregnancy affect your weight after the baby is born. But hey-if it doesn't work out exactly that way it won't be the end of the world. You're already proving you can do it right now, you could do it again. And I promise that when you have your child, even if you have to work off an extra 20 pounds, you'll have no doubt that it was totally worth the extra effort.

There is also that little consolation prize called breastfeeding! That alone burns an extra 600 calories a day
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5

you don't have to gain a lot. I had diabetes with both mine and as a result of following the diet only gained about 25 pounds. Just watch what you eat and walk as much as you can.

but keep in mind that it isn't always under your control. Your body is going to do what it is going to do. But it is certainly not good to be feeding your baby crap and exercise will benefit both of you
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #7  
going somewhere....

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/125

Height: 5'2

I would do some research. WW has great basic guidelines, they may not let you go to meetings, but you can still keep things in check and moderation while PG.

For my sister her weight stayed the same the whole pregnancy, she didn't change what she ate, and continued her exercise. So she traded body reserves for baby. When the baby was born she lost 15 lbs over about 3 days.

I have read that a pregnant woman only needs about 300 calories more in the last 4 months of the pregnancy. Prior to that the baby is to small to really use anything. So 300 calories= a couple of pieces of fruit baby carrots and hummus, popcorn....healthy stuff.

Getting good protein is important for the strength of the amniotic sac, so increase that if you can.

For sure talk to your Dr./midwife, you are going to do great
ready4skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #8  
foodie on a diet!

thank you so much ladies! ill be sure to talk to my doctor about this
Old 05-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #9  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

I didn't read all of the responses...but I do have some answers for you.

You can do WW on your own while pregnant...but MUST be careful how much you restrict yourself...cutting down necessary nutrients while pregnant is bad for you and baby. My doctor is completely on board with me adjusting WW to make it work for pregnancy.

Your best bet is to take whatever a nursing mother at your weight and whatever other restrictions there are and go with that. OR add 10 points to your normal daily restrictions. This is what I read online. WW used to allow pregnant women to still do the plan, but since changed it.

Here's the thing...you will gain weight when you're pregnant. And actually, 30lbs is normal. Here's what you have to remember...30lbs will be mostly baby...placenta and amniotic fluid. It all depends on WHEN you gain it. 1st tri-mester should be 5-8lbs I believe...and then upwards from there. If you gain weight when pregnant...you gain weight. Honestly...with Liam and Lucy...I gained about 60lbs...25 of it was actual weight...by my 6wk appointment...I had lost all 60lbs plus 10. (it was the months after it came back and then some...PPD was the culprit)

I was following WW...and I fell off the wagon...I was feeling like garbage and really didn't care...BUT...as of Sunday I'm back on the wagon and back to doing some workouts.

Working out with pregnancy is definitely a must...but, it can't be intense work outs...you can only get your heart rate so high and you can't over heat. I found a great pregnancy DVD and I do some things off our Exercise on Demand station.

Talk with your doctor and figure out what will work best for you. But like I said...don't be afraid of weight gain when pregnant. 30lbs is perfectly acceptable for a single baby at 150lbs...but 50-60 might be pushing it. Don't worry so much...enjoy trying and enjoy being pregnant!
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

i gained 40lb with my daughter and lost 23lbs by the time we'd gotten home =p
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #11  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

Most of my weight from my first pregnancy was all water weight. I was so swollen...it was horrendus.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote