Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 02:54 PM   #1  

Default Christmas Challenge?

Hi All,

I saw this on another board and I thought that it was a great idea. I am new to the board and WW so I hope that this challenge is well placed and okay to post.

The idea of the challenge is that we attempt not to gain over the holidays. I have not done WW over a holiday before and I was thinking that I'd still be able to lose, but everyone is saying how hard it will be so I will still 'try' to lose but as long as I do not gain I'll be happy. Any takers?

Smiles,
Sarah
Old 12-17-2002, 02:17 PM   #2  

count me in! our group doesn't meet for 2 wks after the meeting tonight, and I could use the added support of a challenge.
My goal is to lose 2lbs after weigh in tonight!
I know it will be hard, but when I first did WW, I ended up losing over 7lbs over the weeks of Christmas and New Years, and reached goal on January 2!
I doubt I can do that well this time- as well as Christmas Eve Supper, Christmas Day Brunch and Supper, and New Year's Eve, I also have Boxing Day Supper and my friends and I get together every Boxing Day night for an annual party!!!
Great idea for a challenge!! Good luck to you!
Old 12-17-2002, 06:05 PM   #3  

WOW congrats for past successes! I will not be in control of my food as I will be away for all of the holidays so I am a bit scared of what I will see Jan 2nd. My group doesn't meet for two weeks after tommorow either but I hope that I can catch a different meeting.

I'm glad to have you along with me I'll report my loss / maintenance / gain on my first weigh in after the holidays in this string.

Smiles,
Sarah
Old 12-17-2002, 08:49 PM   #4  

Sarah,
Sounds like a plan How many days do you have to be away for? At least I will be in my own home for part of most days...it will be tough for you! Good luck!
I lost 2.6 as of weigh in tonight- I will work hard to lose 2 more by Jan.2!
Old 12-18-2002, 08:02 AM   #5  

I am likely leaving tommorow and won't be back until the 26 or 27th...sigh anyway since I'm a "newbie" I still have a lot of motivation. I'll pack Spudz and "Just 2 Points" bars with me lol...get me through the though times.

I'll give me weigh in tonight, then I'll have my baseline.

Smiles,
Sarah
Old 12-19-2002, 10:54 AM   #6  

Sarah,
Are the Just 2 Pts bars good?
Two days away isn't too bad- there will be time to do damage control if necessary!
I was wrong, my group doesn't meet again until January 6, 2003. So I think I will up my goal to losing 3lbs, since it is 3
weeks away!
Tara
Old 12-19-2002, 08:29 PM   #7  

I really like the chocolate fudge ones, I don't like the peanut ones and those are the only ones we have in my WW. I bought a box for the holidays... They are worth the reward if you can swallow the $8 dollars that they cost

Smiles,
Sarah
Old 12-20-2002, 12:39 AM   #8  

Good luck for the next few days! I hope you have a Merry Christmas!! Do you have any specific game plan for the big meal days? Will you be eating out much?
They have both kinds of 2 pts bars at my meetings- but I thought they would need to be really awesome to pay that much for!
Do they have any other WW foods near you? They have bread & buns here and thats it. There are so many commercials on tv and in magazines of yummy looking WW foods, but they haven't had any in Canada for at least 2 yrs. (As far as I know!)
Good luck!
Tara
Old 12-20-2002, 08:41 AM   #9  

Hi Tara,

I'm already on vacation so I am trying to "be good" already. I am going to be staying with my sisters (2 different sisters at two different points) so I should be able to have a "bit" of control over what I eat. So far my plan is to do some extreme banking so that I have more freedom over what i eat. As well, my family always cooks tons of veggies so I will heap up the veggies at the dinners and avoid too much potato and gravy. As for sweets I bought a box of W bars and 1/2 a bar at a time is generally enough to satisfy me.

I am not sure where you live Tara but in Nova Scoita at my meetings they will open a box and sell you a bar (this is how I determned that I do not like the peanut butter ones at all) so maybe you can treat yourself to a 2$ treat.

Like you I cannot find anything WW. I only have the bread here and although I like it, i do not find that it is whole wheat enough for my tastes. I prefer a really hearty whole wheat bread so I prefer one peioce of the delicious organic whole wheat i can get here to WW bread. I sometimes eat WW anyway (I'm not all that consistent in my eating in terms of preferences).

Anyway, I will also try to exercise each day, today is going to be tough but I brught my sneakers and my Pilates video so I hope to get in walk and a video each day.

i'll be talking to you later

Smiles,
Sarah
Old 12-20-2002, 02:12 PM   #10  

Sarah,
Sounds like you have everything planned out- that's smart!
How do you like your Pilates video? I watched an info-mercial millions of times when my baby was first born. (Every night!) It was the Windsor Pilates video, and it looked really good!
If you reccommend the 2 pts bars, I might have to try them! I figure I am saving money on all the other junk I'm not buying, so I don't mind spending a little more for a treat!
I am in Saskatchewan. I also wish the bread was a little more whole grain- I prefer 8 grain or 12 grain...but I am also pretty "cheap" with my pts and like to get as much food as I can!
Well, I made it through my first obstacle of the holiday season- I had a funeral this morning and I skipped eating at the lunch afterwards. (Even though the sandwiches lookes really good, and so did the juice!)
Next is my husband's Christmas Party tonight. It shouldn't be too bad, I already agreed to be designated driver for the scavenger hunt after supper, so that will keep me away fromthe drink pts!
Do your sisters live in Canada too? Are you quite a long way from home?
Hope you are enjoying visiting with your family!
Talk to ya later!
Tara
Old 12-20-2002, 03:14 PM   #11  

Hi Tara

My sisters who I am visiting are both in Canada, one in Nova Scota about 6 hours from me and my other sister is in New brunswick, Moncton where I despertely want to move if the job faries get me a job there that convinces me to leave the one I have now.

I hope I'm planned out, I had about 4 work related bashes / events last week so those are all over and now i just have to survive the holidays. My sister is having a party tonight, today I made butter tarts, mini quiche and mexican dip...I want to hoe into it all, lol but I will try to stick to veggies and dip as they said in our meeting the other day "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" I will try to remember that tonight when I bring out the grub

As I said, the bars are yummy, kinda chewy like caramel but I really wasn't fond of the peanut, you may be different. The idea that I am saving money on the junk food is how I justify the bars lol. I will probably get a 4$ coffee over the holidays as well at Starbucks since we don't have that at home. I cringe at 4$ coffees but i remember when I was in MOnteral I had at least one a day. lol

Talk to you soon, have a great day.
Smiles,
Sarah
Old 12-21-2002, 02:44 PM   #12  

Sarah,
Wow, you sure go to a lot of interesting places! I am just a prairies girl...leaving Saskatchewan is a bit adventure! *L*
What kind of coffee do you get from Starbucks? We don't have one in the city I live in, but sometimes I go there if I am shopping in Regina.
I can't believe you made it through 4 work parties without going crazily off the program! Nice job! The party last night worked out ok- I was actually hoping for buffet style so I could get more veggies and less high pts items. But it was served, so I just passed some items over to my hubby and enjoyed the meal. I think it was about a 22 pt meal, which was ok. Then we ran around town for 2 hours on a scavenger hunt, so that should have helped!
No big challenges until Christmas Eve now!
What kind of Mexican Dip do you make? I usually make one that has cream cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning, salsa, then whatever toppings. I bought fat free sour cream and low fat cream cheese, so I might have a little bit...if I can keep from having a lot! *L*
I hope our party goes good tonight! Do you have lots of veggies and dip to keep you busy? Will you know lots of people? Have a good time!
See ya!
Tara
Old 12-21-2002, 02:46 PM   #13  

I forgot to mention- I hopped on the scale for a "mid week check up" this morning, and was down 4-5 lbs...I usually weigh in later in the day, but at least this should mean I haven't gained!! **cross your fingers for me!!**
Old 12-22-2002, 10:22 AM   #14  

Hi Tara,

WOW! 4-5 lbs? I lost 4.8 my first week but haven't had a big loss like that since, great job! I am really happy for you. I forgot to tell you about Pilates. I did purchase the Windsor Pilates tapes and they ar great but before buying them Ibought one at Walmart for about 12$ that has the same exercises on it. It is a great tape as well, I have it with me but it's in the car, I'll tell you the name next time.

I've never been out West where you are, hoping to travel to BC/Seattle sometime in the near future to visit my sisterand niece. My other sister once live in WInniped and Saskaton when she was in Med school.

I hope all is well today, wish me luck, the "fattening" part of my journey is fast approaching as I leave for my other sisters place

Smiles,
Sarah
Old 12-22-2002, 09:33 PM   #15  

Sarah,
I am really hoping that someone in my family caught my hints about the pilates videos and gets me them for Christmas- especially now that I have the thumbs up from someone!
Those 4-5 lbs may not stay off- and they were way earlier in the day than usual, so I am not too excited. But I am happy that there is no gain. (So far!)
Good luck as you head into the more difficult time of the season- is it just ging to be harder because of this particular sister, or because of Christmas/Christmas Eve etc...?
I have no big fattening meals until Tuesday, so I should be ok!
Do you have a laptop, or do you just use your sister's computers while you are gone? Its nice that you can keep in touch!
Hang in there- lets see if we can make the Christmas Challenge work!
Tara
Closed Thread