Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Default How do you count veggies stacked on a sandwich?

I have been trying to get control of my portion creeping with fruits and veggies and just don't know how to count the less than a portion size of veggies piled on a sandwich.

I like to add a thick slice of tomato, handful of raw spinach, slice of sweet onion and sometimes a slice of avocado, dill chips or a slice of sweet bell pepper.

How do you count it?
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #2  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Maybe use the recipe builder and let it calculate for you? The only things with points would be the avocado and the pickles.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

I am sorry for the confusion.

I am trying to get an idea of how many veggie servings it is, not just points.

I am guilty of portion creep and I would count as a serving 1 cup of green beans and count it as 0 P+, and 1 cup of zucchini = 0 P+ and 1 cup of carrots = 0 P+. It is actually 6 servings and thats over the guidelines and I haven't even added in the fruit I eat. I need to figure out how many servings (not P+) are in my stacked sandwiches so I don't go over the guidelines by so much on a regular basis.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Well if you are the one making the sandwich, you could measure it and enter it that way. Then you'd know if you had 1 oz of avocado or a 1/4 cup of onion or whatever. You could add the various servings together to see how you are with your fruit/veg servings.
I actually don't do this at all. I always figured more is better with veggies although I'm careful with how much fruit I eat (2 pieces per day).
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #5  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Yeah I'm with Spooky. If I find I'm not losing I will get more strict with tallying up my veggies, but since they're free, I don't worry so much about garnishes like that.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #6  
Less of a Better Me

If you use recipe builder it will count the veggies as having points. If you don't want to count them as points build the sandwich without the veggies.

As to whether to count them I think it probably depends on how many veggie servings you are eating a day. If a lot then I might count it.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2

I wouldn't count the 0 pt veggies because, honestly, eating too many veggies isn't what causes me to gain weight. I have had a week or two where I showed a small gain on the scale, but that was because I did fuzzy counting on items that mattered, not because I ate 9 servings of free veggies as opposed to 6 servings.

But, if you find that you really need to account for a exact serving, I would recommend measuring or weighing everything before putting it on a sandwich. Or, if you aren't able to weigh items because you are ordering out, familiarize yourself with what a portion size looks like for each item you mentioned above to you are able to provide a closer estimate.
digitalrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/150/130ish

Height: 5'7"

This makes me think of the "simply filling" technique which I was wondering about at my meeting yesterday but forgot to pick up the paper work...I think it focuses on just counting non-power foods...or something...I guess I'm trying to say that most (non avacado) veg garnishes prob won't incumber weight loss like too much cheese on a sandwhich might.
wingy82 is offline   Reply With Quote