Old 03-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #1  

Question Weight Watchers after menopause

When I did Weight Watchers about 10 years ago, I lost almost 30 lbs. in 3 months. I am now 56 and in menopause and I have been on this for almost 3 months and lost only 12 lbs. I'm so discouraged since my age has made such a difference since last time, plus I was pre menopausal. Can anyone out there in my age bracket and in menopause give me some testimonies on losing weight on Weight Watchers and how long it took. I'm not giving up!
gfallo1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:36 AM   #2  
Less of a Better Me

I am your age. I don't think it is menopause itself but more that as you age you lose muscle and that makes it harder to lose weight. I do lose more slowly than I did when younger (I am a regained lifetime member, got to goal originally in my mid-30s).

That said, 12 pounds in 3 months is about a pound a week which isn't bad.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

That's about my speed, too. I've been on this plan for 9 weeks and have lost just under 10 lbs. I am 34.

I think 1 lb a week is a great, healthy amount to lose and you should be proud of yourself.
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/172/140

Height: 5'5''

I joined Weight Watchers on February 2. I am 46 and post-menopausal. I had endocervical cancer two years ago. They took out my ovaries during the radical hysterectomy and I went into insta-menopause. 8 months later, I had a bilateral masectomy and chemo for breast cancer. I am now on Aromasin, which further blocks estrogen on top of the no ovaries. So, I'm sort of super-menpausal lol. I, too, have a history of smooth, consistent, fairly quick weight loss. After my ovaries were taken, I gained a few pounds although I walk an hour a day and eat a veggie-filled whole foods diet. With chemo, I gained still more (you'd think you would lose, but, no, with the steroids and the carbs and the inactivity, I gained). The Aromasin put me at a standstill. I got some of the chemo weight off, then it wouldn't budge. So, WW Points Plus: I only lost 3 lbs the first month!!! I tracked religiously. I had previously lost weight using the Lindora system. I went on it instead within the WW system. So, I'm following Lindora, but tracking points. They had given me 29 points plus free fruits and veggies. Turns out, nothing is free and I lose on 25 points, not 29. I have lost 11 lbs since Feb 2. I eat: breakfast: 1 egg/cafe latte ( 1/2 cup almond milk and espresso); morning snack: 1 egg; lunch: 3 1/2 oz of chicken breast, lean white fish, shrimp, OR white turkey/ 1 low-carb, low-glycemic veggie/ 1 small low carb, low-glycemic fruit (I usually use a tomato, botanically, it is a fruit); afternoon snack: a lean protein, for example 3 1/2 oz lean meat, 1/2 cup of low-fat plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese or low-fat string cheese; dinner: same as lunch. Evening snack: another protein snack. It comes out to very little food. I'm hungry most of the time. It sucks. But at least the lbs are coming off. I think that WW has figured the points a little high, and nothing is truly free, especially caloric, higher-glycemic fruits. I feel your pain. I am suffering for every pound. Best of luck. I hope you can get the weight loss rolling. I hope mine continues to.
shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I know we all want to lose weight quickly, but if it doesn't happen, I hope that you won't get discouraged. The goal is to get to goal--not see how fast you can reach it. I know so many people who've put time limits on themselves, get discouraged when they don't manage to lose as fast as they'd like, then quit and it all comes back.

I started my weight loss journey when I was almost 50. It took me four years to lose 100 lbs., and I've maintained that loss for almost 5 years. In that time, I've been on 3FC and seen many people who've started, lost quickly, then gained it all back or started quickly, slowed down, then got discouraged and gave up. I used to be kind of embarrassed about telling people how long it took me to lose 100 lbs., but no longer. I'm proud of the fact that I stuck it out, made it to goal (below my WW goal actually), and have kept it off. So please don't ever give up no matter how long it takes.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #6  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

I too am post menopausal and it is very frustrating to lose at such a slow rate. At 54 I never thought it could be this difficult. I have been doing ww now off and on for 4 years and I recognize that each pound I put on I have to work 4x harder to remove it. Right now I am down only 7 pounds instead of the 10 I have posted. The dr. put me on steriods for 12 days for a sinus infection and that was all that took. I am hoping it will go away when the medication is done.

Anyway I could whine all day about it but that is not making my wieght drop any faster....so if all of us chickies band together I think we have a new support group for us golden chicks...discussing food, hot flashes, mood swings and general words of encourgment
nancy
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #7  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

Height: 5'3"

54 and post menopausal for 10 years, although I do take my estrogen everyday to combat hot flashes and hot temper. I don't know if this makes a difference in weight loss. I definitely lose more slowly than I had in my 30's, but then, I can't run 5 miles a day now either (bad back and knees.)

Which is the culprit for slower loss? Menopause or slower paced exercise?? I have just started switching up my exercise, instead of strictly eliptical and weights I am now doing cardio w/weights videos. 30 day shred and another 30 minute program. Then I thow in bellydancing and sexy stretch (by crunch) for flexibility. The switch up seems to have jumped my loss again. I busted through a plateau last week and I'm looking forward to more switching as needed. I love the variations of instructors and muscles used. (My muscles are sooooo sore - which shows me that I hadn't been using them all!)

I think we need to keep our bodies guessing - vary calories, 1000 - 1500 net daily, and switch up the movements every day too. (1000 calories for a totally inactive day.)

Last edited by Gwen; 04-05-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #8  
WW Moderator

I went through surgically induced menopause 6 years ago. My weight loss is slow - 1/2 pound to 1 pound a week, so you're doing good! It's slow on any plan, but WW is the most livable plan for me. I might squeak out a little more weight loss on something else, but it may not be a plan I can stick with. So I'm happy with WW. Slow is better than no.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote