Old 01-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #1  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Help! Hibachi/Japanese Steakhouse

Hello fellow WWers!

I am going to a friend's birthday dinner later tonight at a Hibachi/Japanese steakhouse. There will be about a dozen of us and everyone else will be getting fried rice, not worrying about butter, etc. I will be going right from work so I can't eat beforehand, and I won't be getting home until after 9pm, so can't eat afterwards.

My problem is that my weigh-in is tomorrow morning and I am concerned about sodium levels - as well as not overdoing it on points. I've seen how these hibachi places cook and they seem to use copious amounts of butter, oil and soy sauce.

If I order hibachi shrimp or vegetables and request no oil or soy sauce and skip the rice (or get steamed), am I better off points/sodium-wise doing that or getting sushi (no soy/mayo/sauces) instead?

Honestly, I'm *this* close to a milestone weigh-in and I'm tempted to just go there tonight and not eat!

Thanks in advance for any advice!
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #2  
Wrap dress addicted

S/C/G: 185/185/166

Height: 5'5 -- that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I can get sashimi at my local hibachi joint ... maybe mixed fish sashimi with a big salad instead of the hibachi?? Or else ... get a lean protein meal, skip the soup and rice, and ask them to cook with no butter and just a little oil?
NYGiantsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

We have a couple hibachi places here and both will let you order sushi. If you eat that, it'd probably be the lowest cal stuff there, esp. if you get sashimi (no rice). Personally, though- I love this kind of food and would be willing to do extra exercise for a week just to be able to order a standard dinner there. We only eat hibachi maybe once a year though.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #4  
Not Giving Up!

I ended up ordering some sushi and skipped the soy sauce. I had some green tea while everyone else was finishing up their heaping mounds of food. The whole time the guy was cooking, I just kept seeing all the butter and oil he kept putting on everything - it was crazy!

I'm hoping my abstinence pays off on the scale tomorrow morning ...
Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Way to go with the will power! Hibachi is my favorite, I probably would have just called it my weekly points and pigged out. I also probably would have kicked myself for it the next day, wishing I'd ordered california rolls instead.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #6  
Not Giving Up!

If it hadn't had been the end of the week, the night before weigh-in and if I hadn't had already used up my weeklies with dinner at an Indian restaurant last weekend, I probably would have indulged, too.

But this morning it was all worth it as I got my 130 lb star!

Now I just have two more food mines to navigate this weekend: dinner out with friends tonight at a Chinese restaurant (planned meal is chicken and broccoli) and lunch on Sunday at Golden Corral (blech but it's my FIL's b-day and that's where he wants to go - luckily GC is one of those restaurants covered by WW etools so I can know going in what to get and what to stay away from).
Old 01-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 308/257/175

Height: 5'10

Congratulations Lesley on reaching your milestone! You are an inspiration!!! You go girl!
TransformingToni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #8  

I know a great recipe for soup. My family loves him very much and even asks him to cook.
club.cooking/recipe/hibachi-soup/
I advise you to try.

Ingredients
2 teaspoons sesame oil
8 cups chicken broth
4 cups beef broth
4 cups water
1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
2 large carrots, cut into chunks
2 inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
4 whole scallions, chopped